Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nothing is sexier than a babe with a head like Nien Nunb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 01, 1939)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

God, Tahuid's good.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Selachian posted:

It's the same impulse that has led him to retcon away the goofier aspects of Funky's earlier gag strip existence (the hall monitor with a machine gun, etc.). But then, it does seem like a certain strain of humor comics, if they run long enough, collapse into melodrama as the writer tries to be serious and relevant, and funny, at the same time. See also: Ctrl Alt Del, or David Willis -- and I think Ces is skating perilously close with the serious storylines in Sally Forth.

Funky Winkerbean has this bizarre tonal dissonance where Batiuk retcons away the old goofy poo poo to try and pretend that the comic is serious and relevant, but he keeps introducing new goofy poo poo which sticks out like a sore thumb. Remember Zanzibar, the alcohol-guzzling, cigar-smoking, talking chimp who was the real culprit behind the unsolved murder of a Hollywood actress?

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yeah but I think his kid went off to college not too long after that and she's still there, so the strip's not really progressing "real time". It's moving forward, just very slowly. I hate that I'm thinking about this.

I think Lisa died when the kid was like 4-5, and she's almost done with college by now, so it should be close to 20 years since Lisa died, or something.

Now the real hosed up poo poo is that Les' kid has absolutely no input in this farce of a movie. You'd think Mason would want to hear the kid's side of the story and how the loss of her mom affected her, but it's always gotta be about Les' man pain. Her only appearance was her taking the time off college to spend time with her family, and apparently Les never called her at all to say that the movie was being made, or that he's taking a trip to Hollywood.

Kavak posted:

Batiuk had an idea of what to do with Lisa because he'd actually had cancer. He committed to the Bull storyline before he realized he had like a week or two of material and nothing to say besides "CTE am bad". So he went back to worship of Rotfather Nurgle St. Lisa.

In the NY Times article, Batiuk says he had bouts of depression which he used as inspiration for writing Bull's suicide. And we never got a strip exploring what Bull's thoughts and feelings for the entirety of that storyline. :psyduck: It also takes some real balls to brag to the magazine that he's writing a 10-week storyline about CTE and then cut that down to 6 weeks and about a quarter of that time was spent on loving Les.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe

drat i love tubed yogurt

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

What is she wearing?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Update: James Allen has deleted that tweet.

Mary Worth

This girl needs a muffin!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Popeye's Cartoon Club

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Update: James Allen has deleted that tweet.

can't handle how the dog and bear are occupying the same general part of the panel with the same general everything

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Now the real hosed up poo poo is that Les' kid has absolutely no input in this farce of a movie. You'd think Mason would want to hear the kid's side of the story and how the loss of her mom affected her, but it's always gotta be about Les' man pain.
Of course not: the only thing about this whole shebang that matters is the moment of Lisa's actual death. Everything that happened before it was just preparing for her passing, and everything after it is just referencing her death. Nothing else matters (except for Les).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

:ironicat:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can't tell if this is a Republican talking about the author, or a decent person talking about the guy in the comic

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I gotta hand it to em

That's a good F Minus

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

StrixNebulosa posted:

....but drat if it isn't funny when it happens to Ed, garbage person

Nope, so don't do it please. Fat shaming anybody is a no go, even Ed Krudlick, a bad man who I hate from the bottom of my heart.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Setting up to shoot some Nemo...soon as the help clears out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Speaking of which, Allison's new Destroy History story starts today. I'm curious if he's going to square The Beatles with The Beetles(to bring this back around to Bad Machinery).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How Wonderful! posted:

Nope, so don't do it please. Fat shaming anybody is a no go, even Ed Krudlick, a bad man who I hate from the bottom of my heart.

sigh yes mom

e: Sorry I'm a bit salty towards other forum stuff. This is a good point and I should take it to heart.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 15, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

i LOVE this

its just ends with taft being my friend now. no punchline.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

fun hater posted:

i LOVE this

Especially amusing considering how cruel the other strips of that series are.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 25, 2022

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

howe_sam posted:

Speaking of which, Allison's new Destroy History story starts today. I'm curious if he's going to square The Beatles with The Beetles(to bring this back around to Bad Machinery).

Does Destroy History run parallel to Bad Machinery? Should it be added to the rotation here?

Modesty Blaise

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set might have to dumb this down.

Working Daze saves itself $20.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix goes too far.

Cul De Sac was not worth the wait.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Destroy History

Six years later...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Am I correct in believing these are repeats?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Conan the Barbarian May 14th- May 20th, 1979

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

fun hater posted:

i LOVE this

Taft just wanted someone up there that made him look slim by comparison.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

That bear is not enjoying whatever that dog stinks of. Or it managed to catch James Allen's tweet just before he deleted it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/14/00

Brenda Starr 5/25/41

By the way, the great detective's name has changed from Trauerts to Traverts to Trowerts. I think Messick needed to upgrade her note-keeping skills.

And no, I have no idea what the hell that thing on Brenda's head is supposed to be.

Smokey Stover 12/29/35

The poster in the first panel is the sort of absurdist gag this strip does so well. And the driver seems to be singing this -- looks like Holman was a bit of a hepcat.

Bonus Out-of-Context Ad Panel That Amused Me

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 16, 2020

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Selachian posted:

Bonus Out-of-Context Ad Panel That Amused Me

is this missing an "in?" in this hot weather i love to eat cod nuggz?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 12/29/35

Did he just sprint right out into the road without looking? The driver should definitely have been paying more attention, but even if he had would he had been able to break in time?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Poil posted:

Did he just sprint right out into the road without looking? The driver should definitely have been paying more attention, but even if he had would he had been able to break in time?

Well ... he's a cartoon. He can get away with that sort of thing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I have come unstuck in time.

Or at least I was moving and lost track of this thread with spotty internet access. What was the eventual resolution of the Manchurian Nekonaughey?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Transmodiar posted:

Does Destroy History run parallel to Bad Machinery? Should it be added to the rotation here?

I thiiiiink Destroy History takes place in between Scary-Go-Round ending and Bad Machinery starting, but I'm sure a scholar more learned in Tackleverse lore will correct me.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Smokey Stover feels like some sort of weird lost Spumco work. It's so weird how "offbeat 90s" it seems, just 60 years earlier.

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set of late-stage capitalism.

Working Daze can't actually make him do that.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is probably nothing.

Cul De Sac cannot escape.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yeah, it’s the protests that are the worst part...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/parkertoons/status/1272703851653746689