Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm actually mad at this thread

review it 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"I didn't know Leon was a cop" has to be one of the biggest troll lines I've seen this year

Unless you're playing a sports game you are playing a cop. Prove me wrong.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/horrorshowjames/status/1272270608953466881

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Zeta Acosta posted:

review it 10/10

you got it boss

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

well you see movies were already mocking the zombie genre in this way in the 80s so l4d is bad, it copied them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Starks posted:

There’s a saying in the video game industry: “if I need to watch cutscenes to understand the story, then all you’re doing is making a bad movie.”

Let the gameplay speak for itself. The cutscenes are just a little break for those who need it.
this is an amazing troll

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Starks posted:

There’s a saying in the video game industry: “if I need to watch cutscenes to understand the story, then all you’re doing is making a bad movie.”

Let the gameplay speak for itself. The cutscenes are just a little break for those who need it.

so in the gameplay, when you saw all the signs in the police office saying "WELCOME TO YOUR FIRST DAY AT THE POLICE STATION LEON, AS A COP, HERE AT THE POLICE STATION" what did you think

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

so in the gameplay, when you saw all the signs in the police office saying "WELCOME TO YOUR FIRST DAY AT THE POLICE STATION LEON, AS A COP, HERE AT THE POLICE STATION" what did you think

"Hope I don't run into this Leon dude, cops suck"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

“what if Leon was a cop?” is the “what if Metroid was a girl?” of our time

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
"Video games may require our input to move forward, but it sometimes feels as if there’s so much obsession around the ways they can immerse us that we put unfair expectations on people to feel responsible for the actions of characters they inhabit. For me, The Last of Us: Part II did a great job at recontextualizing horrific events in ways that changed my view of its characters, for good and for ill, but there was no point where I felt like Ellie’s murdering of people who may not have deserved it was my fault. And despite what some people at Naughty Dog would like you to believe, it’s not your fault, either."

https://www.fanbyte.com/trending/attaching-real-world-guilt-to-the-last-of-us-part-iis-violence-is-bullshit/

Really interesting article.

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 15, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always object to didacticism in narrative video games because I never really view myself as personally expressing my own ethos so much as I am actively participating in the retelling of a story. The fourth wall breaks in SpecOps didn't work for me, the ending of Prey didn't work for me, and I always kind of roll my eyes when it happens.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

inhabiting characters owns

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Im a dumbass because i didnt understand the ending of Prey. Ill play it again someday
The last time i felt bad playing a video game was the Mad Max one. I didnt want ti kill Chumbucket but at that point i was a hellhound bent on revenge.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

exquisite tea posted:

I always object to didacticism in narrative video games because I never really view myself as personally expressing my own ethos so much as I am actively participating in the retelling of a story. The fourth wall breaks in SpecOps didn't work for me, the ending of Prey didn't work for me, and I always kind of roll my eyes when it happens.

Yeah, this is where it mostly falls flat for me. Its basically preaching to the choir if the person playing is like "yeah... i know".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

Im a dumbass because i didnt understand the ending of Prey. Ill play it again someday

what

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

The last time i felt bad playing a video game was the Mad Max one. I didnt want ti kill Chumbucket but at that point i was a hellhound bent on revenge.

It's simple, really, the characters and the devs behind them are all going "Well, you're a black box, ultimately we have no idea what you'll do, so, let's ride with it." and it gives you the opportunity to poo poo on their parade, because, as a black box, you should have it.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

SIGSEGV posted:

It's simple, really, the characters and the devs behind them are all going "Well, you're a black box, ultimately we have no idea what you'll do, so, let's ride with it." and it gives you the opportunity to poo poo on their parade, because, as a black box, you should have it.

I think i was getting evaluated by my brother or something?, i dont remember it to be honest

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The gist of it is that You are a Typhoon with the brain structure of Morgan Yu shoved inside, put inside a simulation of what happened on Talos, as Alex tries to see if he can make a Typhoon with empathy towards humans with whatever he's got left on his hands. At the end, you can have plenty of reasons to kill him and that's part of why it's so "anything goes", he has no reason to expect a specific reaction out of you, he doesn't know how you think, and so on. He's just taking a chance, because he has nothing else left.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

SIGSEGV posted:

The gist of it is that You are a Typhoon with the brain structure of Morgan Yu shoved inside, put inside a simulation of what happened on Talos, as Alex tries to see if he can make a Typhoon with empathy towards humans with whatever he's got left on his hands. At the end, you can have plenty of reasons to kill him and that's part of why it's so "anything goes", he has no reason to expect a specific reaction out of you, he doesn't know how you think, and so on. He's just taking a chance, because he has nothing else left.

Motherfucker i really need to play the game again

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this is the funniest thread in games

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The first one was cool if I remember. Just go through a mall finding new ways to kill zombies using the environment. They started to huff their own farts more and more with each version though and it just wasn't fun by the 4th.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

feh this story is obvious. trite. this is beneath me. just pathetic how these hack writers t ry and be clever. [someone tells me mario is about saving a princess and my eyes bug out as my jaw drops to the floor shattering all my teeth]

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Niwrad posted:

The first one was cool if I remember. Just go through a mall finding new ways to kill zombies using the environment. They started to huff their own farts more and more with each version though and it just wasn't fun by the 4th.

All they really needed to do was add a free play mode that didn't make you sprint around looking for food until you died to be honest. Not sure why they never bothered.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

feh this story is obvious. trite. this is beneath me. just pathetic how these hack writers t ry and be clever. [someone tells me mario is about saving a princess and my eyes bug out as my jaw drops to the floor shattering all my teeth]

If you approach this story from an extremely narrow viewpoint that I just proposed, it turns out it sucks! Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to pretend I’m reading Proust.

e: vvv Mario Mario is the new Humbert Humbert??? :eyepoop:

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 16, 2020

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Stux posted:

*Nintendo voice* our next Mario game could be called the Lolita of video games, truly elevating the media to the next level

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Stux I expect you and dewgy to lp this game together. I'd love to experience gaming Valhalla through the two of you since you're absolutely convinced this game will be the greatest thing to Grace the medium

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Relax Or DIE posted:

*Nintendo voice* our next Mario game could be called the Lolita of video games, truly elevating the media to the next level

final fantasy neo exivus xxi directed by motomu toriyama, gaming's roman polanski

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

“what if Leon was a cop?” is the “what if Metroid was a girl?” of our time

they already made Metroid a girl once, she's called Metroidle

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stux posted:

Seriously this thread's bringing some real characters out of the woodwork

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the emotion of the moment when I learned the Princess was in another castle will stay with me forever

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you think about it, Yoshi killing was dogkilling avant la lettre

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Grapplejack posted:

Stux I expect you and dewgy to lp this game together. I'd love to experience gaming Valhalla through the two of you since you're absolutely convinced this game will be the greatest thing to Grace the medium

tbh I'm gonna enjoy the poo poo out of this game so I might stream a bit of it. Not my first playthrough though.

Admittedly though I'm less on the side of "this is gonna be the best game ever" and more just being counter-reactionary to everyone hyping themselves up for the next BioShock:Infinite fiasco. The first game didn't age poorly, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy were both really good, so I don't really see any way that TLOU2 is going to be entertainingly bad like people are expecting.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

buy it for me

May 8, 2006

I'm on the fence about buying this just so I can post like a huge rear end in a top hat about it, though hey, I could be wrong and love it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm on the fence about buying this just so I can post like a huge rear end in a top hat about it, though hey, I could be wrong and love it

not buying it hasn't stopped any of us posting like a huge rear end in a top hat about it up till now

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the assholes...are us

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The rear end of Us: Fart Poo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

man is the real rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, when you graphically disembowel your victims you're gonna see some poo poo, it's literally there