Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Invalid Validation posted:

I do kind of wonder how many books Jordan would have milked out of it had he not died. 14 books is way too drat much as it is.

Man if they were all knife of dreams or first couple book levels of awesome, he could have done 20 and I wouldn't have cared.

rndmnmbr posted:

Jim Butcher: Camelyn is on fire, but it's not Elayne's fault.

drat!

jng2058 posted:

I've always assumed she cut her deal with the Dark One in that very moment and became the first Forsaken then and there. She didn't reveal herself as such until much later, but she was working for the Dark One from then on. The other Aes Sedai in the ritual refused and the Dark One blew them to pieces for it.

I haven't read that scene for over a decade, I thought they were in a floating research institute and that crashed to the ground after the true power shorted out all the magic one power antigrav cells.

Ika fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ika posted:

Man if they were all knife of dreams or first couple book levels of awesome, he could have done 20 and I wouldn't have cared.

drat!

I haven't read that scene for over a decade, I thought they were in a floating research institute and that crashed to the ground after the true power shorted out all the magic one power antigrav cells.

Yeah, it's the last of Rand's visions in Rhuidean where it's one of the Da'shain Aiel that works for Mierin (or is transferring over to her because he's marrying someone that does, I forget). He thinks to himself about how she's going to be running the experiment that day, and watches the floating Collam Daan university sphere blow up and collapse

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lol gently caress it's a literal fall from grace

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

He wasn't really subtle about how stories keep being told and retold.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Right. Beidomon's fate isn't in the books, it was revealed in an interview with RJ.

See, after he was offhandedly mention in TSR, the fans started developing more and more elaborate theories about what had happened to him, including him becoming one of the other forsaken or, weirdly, Lews Therin Telamon. Eventually Jordan had to clarify that he was just some guy.

I only knew of him from the one mention in the Big Book of Bad Art, didn't know that Jordan had made comments about him in other places, cool.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm looking for some new long audiobooks to listen to in the car. Does anybody know how good the WoT ones are? I've read the entire series so I'm okay with just picking out certain standout books to listen to if some are notably better than others.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Khizan posted:

I'm looking for some new long audiobooks to listen to in the car. Does anybody know how good the WoT ones are? I've read the entire series so I'm okay with just picking out certain standout books to listen to if some are notably better than others.

The best audiobooks I've ever listened to. The two readers are fantastic, both generally and especially during the really tense awesome moments.

Takes a book or two to finalize the pronunciations if that bugs you.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Khizan posted:

The WoT audiobooks are top tier. They’re all read by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, with him doing the male POV chapters and her the female, which is a surprisingly effective choice.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

They are -very good- and make long road trips at night something to look forward to.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Khizan posted:

They are awesome as others have said. They even make the Slog and the transition to Sanderson less troublesome simply from the consistency of the voice work.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The audiobooks are very good. Although looking at the time remaining and seeing exactly 24 hours left can be a bit daunting.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The WoT audiobooks are top tier. They’re all read by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, with him doing the male POV chapters and her the female, which is a surprisingly effective choice.

Thanks for all the comments, this all sounds super promising. I think I'm gonna start with TSR and go on from there.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

She looks like she could open palm slam Cenn Buie into the Winespring for foolish talk. Well played casting director.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And you can cook your own food. Which won't be under my roof!

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 14, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i could see her snapping someone in two

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
She's gonna get to pitchfork some trollocs and it will legit be one of the greatest moments in TV series history

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought she gave them the ol' spicy frying pan

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Lol gently caress it's a literal fall from grace

The city is called Paaran Disen lol

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, that was always pretty on the nose. Though to be fair, Paaran Disen is not the place where they drilled the hole in the Dark One's prison, I got the impression it's far away. But naming the capital of the world, seat of the Aes Sedai, Paradise is certainly bold.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Their Egos in the Age of Legend were clearly p inflated. It's not that surprising.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, that was always pretty on the nose. Though to be fair, Paaran Disen is not the place where they drilled the hole in the Dark One's prison, I got the impression it's far away. But naming the capital of the world, seat of the Aes Sedai, Paradise is certainly bold.

Is it bold to name it after paradise, or did the word paradise come through time from a description of Paaran Disen?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

bloom posted:

I thought she gave them the ol' spicy frying pan

Whatever she did, someone's gonna have some insane butcher and kitchen knives.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Mage_Boy posted:

Is it bold to name it after paradise, or did the word paradise come through time from a description of Paaran Disen?

Time is a flat circle wheel so why not both, or as they say in the old tongue por'queno los dos

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

Whatever she did, someone's gonna have some insane butcher and kitchen knives.

Daise Congar: pitchfork on 8+ foot pole
Bode Cauthon: wood axe
Eldrin Cauthon: boar spear
Neysa Ayellin: long bladed carving/butchering knife (plus 2 more stuck in her belt)
Marin al'Vere: dualwield meat cleaver
Alsbet Luhhan: blacksmith hammer

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 15, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mage_Boy posted:

Might as well ask this question over a round of jynnan tonnyx

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Finally finished up Winter's Heart in my reread. I kind of read it here and there between other books so maybe some of the momentum was lost on me but it felt like it kinda just ended with no climax or resolution to anything. I also tend to read in bed at night so I could just be forgetting some crucial chapter in Perrin's story or something. The last thing I remember there was as a chapter ending with welp, guess we're gonna team up with the Seanchan then Egwene's arc ends with welp, she got bonked on the head. And the book is over.

Anyway, decided to start Knife of Dreams at 2:30am and the prologue kicks rear end. Forgot that Galad scene took place so early on and I didn't really intend to stay up so late reading but once I realized what was coming I pretty much had to at least finish that first part.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Do you mean crossroads? Winter's heart ends with a bang.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Inspector 34 posted:

Finally finished up Winter's Heart in my reread. I kind of read it here and there between other books so maybe some of the momentum was lost on me but it felt like it kinda just ended with no climax or resolution to anything. I also tend to read in bed at night so I could just be forgetting some crucial chapter in Perrin's story or something. The last thing I remember there was as a chapter ending with welp, guess we're gonna team up with the Seanchan then Egwene's arc ends with welp, she got bonked on the head. And the book is over.

Anyway, decided to start Knife of Dreams at 2:30am and the prologue kicks rear end. Forgot that Galad scene took place so early on and I didn't really intend to stay up so late reading but once I realized what was coming I pretty much had to at least finish that first part.

Winter's Heart ends with one of the most influential (and badass) events in the entire series??

e: Ah, seeing silvergoose's post, it makes sense that you're meaning Crossroads of Twilight. Yeah, that book certainly has pacing issues. It does end with Egwene getting captured by the White Tower Aes Sedai, and the Daughter of the Nine Moons agreeing to parlay with Rand, but that's not as earth shattering as Winter's Heart's ending, of course.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 15, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i have to imagine you said the wrong book title because winter's heart absolutely ends with one of the most bombastic events in the series

also, speaking of crossroads of twilight, i like perrin and i like faile, but when the hell do they meet up again??? i genuinely forget, and the bits of them pining about each other leave a little bit to be desired. they're more fun when they're together. i'm also not looking forward to the eventual 'captured egwene' stuff and can't wait to just kinda skim over those chapters in the future until they eventually end.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i have to imagine you said the wrong book title because winter's heart absolutely ends with one of the most bombastic events in the series

also, speaking of crossroads of twilight, i like perrin and i like faile, but when the hell do they meet up again??? i genuinely forget, and the bits of them pining about each other leave a little bit to be desired. they're more fun when they're together. i'm also not looking forward to the eventual 'captured egwene' stuff and can't wait to just kinda skim over those chapters in the future until they eventually end.

Knife of Dreams.

That's what made Jordan's death so hard; he had just gotten all of the pieces on the board into a really interesting place, and then....

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah Winter's Heart is a slog but With the Choedan Kal is probably one of the best payoff chapters in the entire series. I like it better than the series ending chapters tbqh.

EDIT: Last 3 chapters of TSR are probably the best.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh yeah, woops definitely meant Crossroads.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

crossroads of twilight is actually turning out to be better than i remember, if only because it focuses on the main characters more than i'd thought. taking a little bit of a rest from the Big Plot is...fine? there's so many little plot threads going on that a book mostly dedicated to side events to get them squared away was probably inevitable.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I’m at the finale of Winter’s Heart right now. I can confirm it rules.

On my first read I remember thinking Cadsuane was a little too late in coming and a poor replacement for Moiraine in the advising Aes Sedai role. On the re-read her introduction was still a little jarring (here’s the most badass person that we’ve never thought to mention before) but she’s a fun character. Retired, super competent adventurer is a cool niche. And of course she’s wasting fools left and right at the moment.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah Winter's Heart is a slog but With the Choedan Kal is probably one of the best payoff chapters in the entire series. I like it better than the series ending chapters tbqh.

EDIT: Last 3 chapters of TSR are probably the best.

I think, the best 3 chapters are those in TSR, but the best 11 chapters or so is the ending sequence in TFoH.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I love how Demandred is like ok I'm gonna gently caress up his poo poo OH HOLY gently caress

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I love how Demandred is like ok I'm gonna gently caress up his poo poo OH HOLY gently caress

Yup, that was so good. The first time I read it I didn’t remember Verin’s role in getting Elza to break good and kill a Forsaken.

There are so many callbacks that I probably missed on the first read, with years between books. CoT starts off with a reference to Graendel’s forged letters to Ituralde, which was from how many books back?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm on Crossroads of Twilight on my re-read/listen and it's not as bad this time because I'm not keenly awaiting for things to happen, and I can just chill out and get into the groove of Elayne's Game of Thrones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah honestly the great game parts were fine, just her invincibility mentality is so dangerous.