Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Went ahead and started a run

MNK/RDM/GEO/DRG

gently caress my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Thats gotta be one of the worst regular style class sets to get, congrats

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nihilarian posted:

Thats gotta be one of the worst regular style class sets to get, congrats

I'm buying a mulligan full stop. Kind of don't want to just iwin into Chemist. Thinking about buying Blu and just kind of rolling with derpy RDM dualcasting cura

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thief/Zerk/Ninja/Chemist

Pretty sure I can triple crown with this.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Wound up Job fairing to BLU/RDM/BST/DRG. Didn't want to just pull the I win trigger for Chemist and this gives me a good balance of having something that synergizes well with each other while still having a couple of the rubbish classes I started with.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

geomancer/berserker/freelancer/berserker

Equip Axes :black101: for bosses, double !Gaia for random encounters. no idea what i'm going to do with W2 Exdeath but thankfully I got 4 Death Sickles so the crystals were just a matter of time

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Thief :cry: Berserker :cry: Monk :cry: Berserker

:cry:

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
Got whitemage/zerker for the start, not sure why I'm doing this besides everyone's else enthusiasm. And charity of course. Pay money to feel pain?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Mime/Red/Dancer/Ranger I have no idea how triple crown is possible with this lmao. Shinryu: Wonder Rod proc and dualcast reviving to deal with the attacks? Omega: ????

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Aerdan posted:

The Skald :toxx:
$1 per run, up to $20, for each run wherein a Bard hits an enemy with an axe.

Here comes the Axe!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CrashScreen posted:

Apparently the sound engine stuff makes it laggy. There's a patch for it that also replaces the soundtrack with the SNES version.

Turns out it also helps to have a more up to date VBA version.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Weird BIAS posted:

Mime/Red/Dancer/Ranger I have no idea how triple crown is possible with this lmao. Shinryu: Wonder Rod proc and dualcast reviving to deal with the attacks? Omega: ????

Does !Flirt lock him down? If so, you can theoretically take him out with three !Flirt users and Thunder Bow !Rapidfire. It'll be a slog, but it's doable.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
Run #1: Pure Chaos Berserker Risk
Blue Mage, Berserker, Dragoon, Summoner

Got a freebie with my first run, so figured I would try to challenge myself with some of the :toxx:es. Even then, the only real challenge was dealing with my own Berserker when trying to get the Confusion-required Blue Magics (and one unfortunate wipe to Crystals when I wasn't paying attention to their health close enough).

Jose Valasquez posted:

This filled up quicker than I expected last year, so I've adjusted the numbers to give more people an opportunity for pain.

:toxx:
$20 up to a Max of $500 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

Bufuman posted:

Oh, that reminds me that I had an idea for a toxx myself.

It's time for :smugwizard: Magical Bufu's Magical :toxx:

* The condition for this one is simple: Obtain every magic spell in one run. White, Black, Time, Blue, Summons, and Songs. Dark Arts are exempt, but if you're a masochist you're welcome to go for it.
* The classes required to actually USE the spells are not mandatory, but obviously Blue Magic will require a Blue Mage or a randomizer run with Learning.
* Donation amount is $5 for every run with all spells, up to a limit of $100. (I wanted it to be more, but I have more bills to pay than I did in previous years thanks to Real Life Bullshit)
* Proof requested: Ideally shots of your magic screens, but for simplicity's sake I'll accept a shot of just the Time magic list to cover White and Black too (since you need to get their final spells to get access to Meteor). For most lists with multiple pages (White/Black/Time just barely require two pages in certain versions IIRC), I'll go by the honor system and accept single shots at the bottom of the list. Blue Magic will require shots of all pages though.

apophenium posted:

I'm excited about this Fiesta!!! I registered for a Pure Chaos Risk run. My first risk!

I also want to do a :toxx: challenge:

I'll donate $2 for every victory with Bartz named ACAB, BLM, George, or any related name, up to $100. Let's have fun and help people!

Kyrosiris posted:

Additionally, I will also donate $1 per relevant name that completes a run, per apophenium's toxx, up to a maximum of $50.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All trees were bastards

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

first time playing ff5 and i got time mage/summoner/dancer/gladiator. gaulf's a funny man.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Excellent.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
How the gently caress did I quadzerk the sandworm at level 44

with nobody dying

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

all dragons were also bastards

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Poque posted:

How the gently caress did I quadzerk the sandworm at level 44

with nobody dying

Way to go! I'm currently banging my head against that wall...

Actually, gently caress it. :toxx: $10 for everyone who quadzerks sandworm (up to $50)

(including Poque :))

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
wait how are people already starting runs, I'm under the distinct impression that it's not June 17 anywhere yet

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wait how are people already starting runs, I'm under the distinct impression that it's not June 17 anywhere yet

time kompression

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Way to go! I'm currently banging my head against that wall...

Actually, gently caress it. :toxx: $10 for everyone who quadzerks sandworm (up to $50)

(including Poque :))

Hell yes! Good luck!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The run was Sunday. June 17 was the worst case starting time

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

June 17 is the absolute deadline, but the weekend before that was THE RUN with four runners racing with a set of classes based on donations. Things open when the last runner finishes (and RK wakes up because that usually happens early morning his time, plus there were technical difficulties this year so he waited another 12 hours to sort those out).

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The timer's worst case scenario for the fiesta starting. It usually starts right after the run finishes assuming RK's awake. It actually started late this year due to technical issues.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Aaaaand first run of the year is done.

Mime/Zerk/Ranger/Monk is a weird one, and I don't think I have the patience to try the superbosses with it, but it was fun. Killer Bows are just loving nasty.

I'd started before I knew about the ACAB incentive so I'll have to do that with my next one.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

First run is dancer/zerk/white/chemist.

It's always a fun run when you get a 750 party that can't use rods. Byblos is gonna be a pain when my best offence is a swords danced main gauche attack.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My savefile just loving disappeared and I think I might have to take a break for a short while.

This is my first time not using matrix, and I gotta say if this is a thing that can happen SNES ROMs are a pile of poo poo compared to Matrix. At least there I can complete the game without losing everything halfway through.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Knight/Red Mage/Summoner/Black Mage. Hp might be an issue, but other than that the only hard part will be getting Doublecast.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Got to earth crystal. This year I'm Time Mage/Berserker/Mime/Monk. May god have mercy on my soul.

About five minutes after I got wiped the gently caress out by the bombs cause I totally forgot about their Arise schtick, and now I gotta beat archeaoavis again. :gonk:

We can do that tomorrow. At least that fight was easy but I'm probably going to have to exhaust the bomb's mp or kill my zerker

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Novasol posted:

Yet another year I'm suckling at the teat of flame ring healing.

!animals

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Weird BIAS posted:

Mime/Red/Dancer/Ranger I have no idea how triple crown is possible with this lmao. Shinryu: Wonder Rod proc and dualcast reviving to deal with the attacks?

Dark Bow to blind him + the wonder wand proc

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Farm a Power Staff instead so you don't have to do Rugwizard imo.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

They've got Mime, Rugwizard isn't negotiable, plus that team really wants Artemis Bow to burn down Almagest. They should probably still farm the power staff tho.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Looking something up on a wiki for red mages there was an odd sentence:

quote:

Giving a Red Mage White Magic 6 or Black Magic 6 will enable them to doublecast spells up to level 6 of that particular school of magic.

That's not possible to do on a RDM, right? Doublecast takes up the open ability slot?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Bruceski posted:

That's not possible to do on a RDM, right? Doublecast takes up the open ability slot?

Correct. The best an RDM can do is dualcast level 3 magic, or single cast level 6 magic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

Correct. The best an RDM can do is dualcast level 3 magic, or single cast level 6 magic.

Thanks, just making sure I wasn't missing something. I'll have a dualcasting summoner, dualcasting black mage, and I guess a second summoner's more versatile than a second blm due to the utility summons.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
...why did Gilgabot give me Geomancer for my Water job? I am not playing a chaos run.
My ruleset is Advance, Fifth job.

Looking at what other Advance players got, it appears that each "crystal" includes a set of jobs from more than one crystal. The first set is Wind jobs plus Time Mage, the second set has the rest of the Water jobs and some Fire jobs as well, third set has the rest of the Fire Jobs and the Earth jobs, but the fourth set is always an Advance job.
e:f,b

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 16, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

McFrugal posted:

...why did Gilgabot give me Geomancer for my Water job? I am not playing a chaos run.
My ruleset is Advance, Fifth job.

Advance makes the earth crystal an Advance job and squishes the other jobs down into three crystals.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Alright, taking that into consideration, the most likely result from Fifth Job is that I get another Advance job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bruceski posted:

Job Faire Freelancer and mix Dualcast with Black6

Edit: Speaking of Job Faire, it looks like I'm officially off MNK/RDM/GEO/DRG and on BLU/RDM/BST/DRG for something a bit more paletable without just being a straight 'iwin' like buying Chemist or such while still being saddled with two meh classes. I kind of laugh at how much of a magic boost RDM got from equipping !blue - and with their higher base strength they actually goblin punch better than regular BLU too. I'm banking on the BLU and BST basically feeding off each other - Death Claw to Capture, and then charm for learning Support blue magic like White Wall. Just now getting to the library, planning on capturing Page 34 to clown Byblios. Any other useful captures off the top of your head to keep in my back pocket?

For the moment I'm thinking for skills/synergy

Blue basically always will use Lancet
RDM gets blue magic for the stat boost and/or doublecast
BST Gets mostly Confuse and Blue Magic depending on the situation
DRG gets Capture or Blue depening

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 16, 2020