Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It sounds like Star Wars: Squadrons might have some X-Wing / TIE Fighter DNA in it. It's first person with VR support, and features the power distribution mechanic from the older games. Apparently it was a side project that Motive was working on which Lucasfilm gave the green light to, so might pave the way for higher budgeted titles if it does well (it's a $40 game, so is probably going to be a little barebones at launch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm expecting a short single player campaign, with some more available as DLC later. The focus will be on multiplayer at first. I do think the power allocation is a drat good sign that we'll get something like what we've wanted for so long.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nothing that launches on consoles will ever have the complex controls of TIE fighter again though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think tie fighter is particularly complex in terms of number and buttons and whatnot compared to other complicated console games.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that it'd take a lot of work to get the same kind of functionality out of the controller, but there's also a lot of bloat to the keyboard+joystick control layout that you could figure out something clever for.

Of course, it'd easily be possible for EA to do something stupid and destroy half the game out the gate or just not listen to anyone with good ideas.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It wouldn't take much effort to make a VR XWA clone then you could port in whatever game's missions you wanted, like Tie fighter

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

It wouldn't take much effort to make a VR XWA clone then you could port in whatever game's missions you wanted, like Tie fighter

Good news comrade !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4qHsisO1K8

https://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

7/10 A-Wing guns still cant traverse up/down, would be perfect to use with the head tracking

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I just want full HOTAS and pedal support with VR/TrackIR capability and I will straight up throw money at it. :homebrew:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'm not expecting all too much from the single player campaign and it remains to be seen how closely the combat mechanics will mirror the X-Wing series', but I'll buy it regardless because at this point I'll do anything that might eventually result in a proper remake of, or possibly even an actual worthy successor to TIE Fighter.

Also it's not overly expensive and I haven't spent much money in the past months so why not.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I feel like that price point is because they know the sim community is small and this will entice them.

Also because it will 100% be an incomplete game and they will pull a Paradox on it and provide about 6x DLCs for 19.99 a pop.

OR

They turn around and make a big budget fully fleshed sequel that will come out in two years after this has success and it will be some $59-69-79 multi-tiered edition like BF2.

Either way I am still hoping for the 2nd golden age of flight sims to arrive.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Charles posted:

Nothing that launches on consoles will ever have the complex controls of TIE fighter again though.

If they can get Elite: Dangerous to work on consoles, TIE fighter is a walk in the park.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Voting Floater posted:

It's really awkward how the final missions of Alliance are you flying the Falcon at the Battle of Endor. It makes sense from a marketing point of view, but it's so diconnected from the entire rest of the story. You can essentially view the game as having ended in the previous mission and Endor is just a random bonus thrown in.

Flying through the Death Star core was also a royal pain in the rear end. I suppose it accurately translates what flying a big freighter through a narrow construction site would be like (i.e. poo poo), but it doesn't make for a fun experience. I didn't play the later Rogue Squadrons so don't know if they did the same thing, but I would guess that kind of gameplay would work much better in the more casual Rogue Squadron set-up than in a hard flight simulator game.

thats alot of star wars game from then and for a while after(least till the 7th gen consoles) every game would have at least 1 of the big three battles. hell battlefront 2 had endor in it. least the end of it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Weighing in on the Xwing/TF/XWA/XvT stuff: X-wing was one of those games where my parents had to gently caress with the memory settings & sound cards and poo poo to ever get it to run properly, so it holds a special place in my heart for driving my mom crazy. It was fun because i loved the rebel starships but I never really grasped the story and the lack of real identify of the character.

As everyone said thats what really set Tie Fighter apart. The story and all the inbetween mission stuff was just awesome and there were also a bunch of raelly fun / broken ships to fly eventually like just machine gun conc missiling rebels with the gunboat. The secret emperor mission objectives were great too like one of them is on a mission where at one point an imperial shuttle will hyperspace in, and I think its a bonus objective to protect it from some rebel star fighters. However there's an emperor objective that has you kill the shuttle aand blow up the escape pod to eliminate a TRAITOR. OWNS.

Xwing alliance takes all the story stuff from TF and moves it to the family shipping company and honestly I had such a blast. The thing that makes XWA so awesome, for me, besides the graphics overhaul, is the massive variety of ships which leads to some good mission variety. They also did this thing where you fly into hangers of cap ships & stations to end missions and hyperspace between different areas which was awesome. Still loved the story the most and I really liked the emails & seeing the trophies stack up in your room. I wanted that but next gen since forever. I loved the pirate factions with their cobbled together spaceships and seeing a squadron of z-95's and knowing you were gonna murk em was satisfying.

Xwing vs Tie Fighter sucked rear end. I waited for it to come out and bought it day 1 but it came out just before internet gaming was really solidly effective so it was very hard for me to ever get a game in and the lack of a singleplayer campaign blew. And they didnt even have all the ships and stuff from Xwing Alliance!! The graphics were all better which was nice but it was overall a bummer. I put sooooooo many hours into the other 3 and then dropped XvT after probably like 10 disappointing hours. I dicked around in the mission creator for a long time though.

Tie Fighter & Xwing Alliance are also 2 of the games where I had the massive strategy guides they used to make, which actually had sick rear end content in them, and I'd read them at night when I was waiting to fall asleep which also owned. Both guides kind of give you the story and have other little tid bits in them as well they were worth the money.

I hope squadrons sells so we can get the BF2 version with a full length single player campaign. Just do it XWA style and make you a third party so you can get all the ships.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
XvT was before XWA so it would make sense it doesn't have all the ships yet.

I was an early buyer and disappointed too though. Loved XWA however.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Charles posted:

XvT was before XWA so it would make sense it doesn't have all the ships yet.

I was an early buyer and disappointed too though. Loved XWA however.

Right got my timelines mixed up. Probably because it was so disappointing

Also Star Wars Rebellion was sick too I used to play that direct to player multiplayer with my friend while we talked on the phone, the games took so long he would fall asleep and his sister would wake up (cuz its like 7 am at this point) and tell me to go to bed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah XWT came out during the early era where people thought single player was going to die and the new forever trend would be multiplayer focused gaming for here on out. They jumped the gun, and were wrong. The single player campaigns they added later though as like an expansion pack were not bad and almost redeemed the game.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
As excited I am about this, the focus on multiplayer does have me a bit worried that they'll look at this in six months post launch and say this type of game doesn't have legs - specifically because it doesn't have that lasting revenue staying power publishers are after nowadays

Hardcore flight sim people probably wouldn't stick with it because it wouldn't be sim enough, your casual star wars fan might be put off by a (presumed very short) single player campaign, and the audiences for most popular multiplayer games are generally not into flight sims.

I love me some xwing and tie fighter - but I only did the multiplayer maybe a few times, and I remember it being pretty unbalanced and not that fun. I'd much prefer to see co op based objectives, which if 5v5 gives me some hope.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm not expecting all too much from the single player campaign and it remains to be seen how closely the combat mechanics will mirror the X-Wing series', but I'll buy it regardless because at this point I'll do anything that might eventually result in a proper remake of, or possibly even an actual worthy successor to TIE Fighter.

Also it's not overly expensive and I haven't spent much money in the past months so why not.

poo poo, a single plane for the DCS flight sim can go as high as $90 (the F-14 modeled to a really silly level of detail). They've got a lot of potential for DLC if the base engine is good.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I expect the simplest possible arcade flight controls and will be pleasantly surprised by anything more complex

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Jerkface posted:

Also Star Wars Rebellion was sick too I used to play that direct to player multiplayer with my friend while we talked on the phone, the games took so long he would fall asleep and his sister would wake up (cuz its like 7 am at this point) and tell me to go to bed.
It had a clumsy interface, the 3D engine for battles was laughable, the AI was dumb as a brick and it was very poorly balanced, but it had such amazing ideas:

- a perpetual fog of war for military intelligence, so unless you were constantly spying everywhere, you'd typically be operating on outdated information
- long hyperspace jumps that could not be aborted, so going from one sector to the next was a major gamble because the enemy might just find out you're coming and bring in a massive fleet, or in fact take the opportunity to wreak havoc in the sector you'd just left
- a popular-support system for all planets, which could translate in sudden huge shifts of power as military successes, for example, could either improve or erode said support and cause planets to join either side or declare independency

While I wish for another TIE Fighter most of all, a proper remake of Rebellion is a close second.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Should I be optimistic or nah? Everything shown so far seems to just be cutscenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eRkhR1z6A

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Laterite posted:

Should I be optimistic or nah? Everything shown so far seems to just be cutscenes.

They're showing gameplay at EA Play on the 18th. So you can get a better representation of what its like in a couple of days.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've said this before but I still think that Star Wars: Top Gun, In Space is a loving no-brainer movie.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I've said this before but I still think that Star Wars: Top Gun, In Space is a loving no-brainer movie.

So would a gritty war movie. The only part of Solo that really sticks in my mind is the part where he's just an expendable infantryman on the planet that just seems to just be a giant mud ball.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

FuturePastNow posted:

I expect the simplest possible arcade flight controls and will be pleasantly surprised by anything more complex

For all the post 90s talk of the X-Wing series being a 'sim' - I think it had a really good balance between some advanced mechanics but generally being pretty easy and open.

I mean really, the only advanced mechanics I remember were the diverting power systems, transfering shields forward and aft, countermeasures and turning sharper at slower speeds. Maybe also the fact some systems could get damaged and not work anymore.

All of these could translate pretty easy to a modern game with a controller and it isn't too hard to learn.

Where post X-Wing Star Wars games disappointed me was they ended up treating tie fighters like they were dumb insect swarms, randomly zipping about like a shooting gallery, to be destroyed en mass with a single shot. They lost that dogfighting feeling.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Empire at War is the spiritual Rebellion successor. It was a solid game, however not as complex as it was less 4x as Rebellion was and was more focused on tactical combat.

Also: the thing I loved about TIE Fighter and XWA was that the TIEs really were quite maneuverable and in all cases outperformed their counterparts in speed and maneuverability (and in the case of the interceptor it actually had a leg up on armament vs the A-wing).

Like when Poe in TFA says “Man this thing can really move!” in the beginning of the film I appreciated that they gave some lip service ti the fact that TIEs are supposed to trade superior maneuverability for shields and rely on a quality, well trained pilot. That is the dichotomy between Empire and Rebellion and WHY the rebels have/needed shields.

To make TIEs cannon fodder is a travesty.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Was the mag pulse mentioned in TFA a nod to TIE Fighter?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dialhforhero posted:

Empire at War is the spiritual Rebellion successor. It was a solid game, however not as complex as it was less 4x as Rebellion was and was more focused on tactical combat.

I still play Empire at War from time to time. It's a fun game.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Laterite posted:

I'd be more optimistic if Criterion was behind it. They are the people behind Battlefront II's Starfighter Assault mode, which loving rules.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a remake of tie fighter in which they just upgraded the graphics but left the systems and missions alone would probably be the only way i would ever bother spending money on an ea product today

good thing it'll never happen :(

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I want X-Wing. I spent hours on that game, it was so much fun. There are so many FPS games or TPS games out there. Just let me have ONE space combat sim.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Game looks pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcfJ9uEwvs

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Remember when you used to get excited about EA flight sims?
https://i.imgur.com/rBFvmha.mp4

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Okay, I am hyped now. Even if I can't hang in multiplayer, singleplayer space combat where there is more of a mission than "kill x amount of fighters to win" is enough for me. It looks and sounds loving boss, too.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Perhaps the HUD is turned off but I saw no targeting reticle and it seemed like weapons track targets if only a bit. Basically aim assist.

This is not a good thing imo :smith:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

dialhforhero posted:

Perhaps the HUD is turned off but I saw no targeting reticle and it seemed like weapons track targets if only a bit. Basically aim assist.

This is not a good thing imo :smith:

There’s a polygon interview where the guy says there is no aim assist, the weapons are not gimbaled, and there is a fixed targeting reticle but it was turned off so it wouldn’t it wouldn’t get in the way during video capture

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I can't tell if the fleet battle mode is mechanically enforced tug of war or if its freeform and you can just zero straight in on the enemy flagship from the start

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If there are bombers, there needs to be some kind of mission or mechanic where they attack capital ships, otherwise they're just kinda suboptimal heavy fighters. I assume fleet battling will involve something like that.

Considering how they decided to stick ships that were supposed to be troop carriers into the game, it feels like that implies boarding might be in there at some point.

I feel like their cockpit views kinda cut off the view to the sides too much, but then I may still be a little grumpy that it's a first person view and I prefer third person. I guess this is the final revenge of X-Wing Alliance on Rogue Squadron. The extra spacial awareness you get from third person isn't really as necessary when you're flying outside of atmosphere with less obstacles, but there were some clips of flying through space debris too. I wonder if they're going to depict the Rebel targeting computer goggle either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Spookydonut posted:

I can't tell if the fleet battle mode is mechanically enforced tug of war or if its freeform and you can just zero straight in on the enemy flagship from the start

If it's like Battlefront II, then it probably is.