Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

definitely doable! I mean, obviously. I spent a couple of minutes on a proof of concept, but getting the whole thing right would take some time and tweaking. if someone wanted to take a stab at it it would be a really good learning exercise, heck I might be tempted to do it myself . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

I did it! But blender is still scary.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

I did it! But blender is still scary.

:eyepop:

nice job on the icing!

I don't know exactly when it happened, but I had a shift in perspective at some point. I stopped thinking about all the features and techniques I hadn't yet explored as intimidating, but instead opportunities to do more cool stuff. I think it came about when I was looking at tutorials, relatively short ones, about how to achieve particular effects. this often ended up introducing features in a way that demonstrated how powerful and generally useful they were. (one of these was when I learned about dynamic paint and what a cool concept it was; that's not really a beginner topic though)

I guess my point is, and you probably intuitively know this already, you don't need to know everything about the program to do cool stuff. there are some basics to get under your belt, and the rest of the stuff will come as you need it or as you see people using it.

vanisher

I'll be honest playing with the icing edge, introducing materials, and then watching it render was a little amazing. The noise removal stuff is also amazing.

nut

Manifisto posted:

definitely doable! I mean, obviously. I spent a couple of minutes on a proof of concept, but getting the whole thing right would take some time and tweaking. if someone wanted to take a stab at it it would be a really good learning exercise, heck I might be tempted to do it myself . . .

now this is what I call now

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

I'll be honest playing with the icing edge, introducing materials, and then watching it render was a little amazing. The noise removal stuff is also amazing.

materials are really fun, and the node-based interface has a lot to do with that. I once tried an early version of blender a long, long time ago, when they didn't have the node interface (and there weren't video tutorials) and material creation totally lost me. I just find the nodes very intuitive and flexible.

Manifisto

slightly fancier version, could use some work probably

I dunno, is it worth putting in :effort:?

nut

Manifisto posted:

slightly fancier version, could use some work probably

I dunno, is it worth putting in :effort:?

omg i love it

Manifisto

https://i.imgur.com/wBMwDQS.mp4

nut

Hahahaha this owns

Goons Are Gifts

I want to reply to that image by using that image lmao

Pahilla the Hun

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

thanks nesamdoom!!

pizzaz plarpin perfect! thanks Tebulot!

Khanstant
how do i make my goblin drawing 3d? how do i get my goblin to be irl?

Manifisto

Khanstant posted:

how do i make my goblin drawing 3d? how do i get my goblin to be irl?

post the drawing and we'll see

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

glad you guys like the result

I did a version with a busier background (lol)

I thought about having the background rotate as well, it's easy enough to do but I feel like there's plenty of bling already

https://i.imgur.com/Y6e3awk.mp4

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 17, 2020

vanisher

I did this without the tutorial. I feel like I need to do the tutorial a couple times to learn the basics properly.

vanisher fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 18, 2020

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

I did this without the tutorial. I feel like I need to do the tutorial a couple a couple times to learn everything

I really like that! I did find that I often had to go back to parts of the tutorials to remember how to do certain things. that's one real drawback of video tutorials, with written stuff it's much easier to go back to the specific thing thing you want to remember.

I am guessing you were going for a low poly look, is that right? how did you texture the plate?

nut

now this is what I call posting

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

I really like that! I did find that I often had to go back to parts of the tutorials to remember how to do certain things. that's one real drawback of video tutorials, with written stuff it's much easier to go back to the specific thing thing you want to remember.

I am guessing you were going for a low poly look, is that right? how did you texture the plate?

All of this is just materials I haven't done the texture part yet. I need to re-learn fixing the low-poly stuff. I tried to average it but the bun and burger lost their shape completely.

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

All of this is just materials I haven't done the texture part yet. I need to re-learn fixing the low-poly stuff. I tried to average it but the bun and burger lost their shape completely.

sorry for being confusing.

the terms "materials" and "textures" are not as clear as they should be, the texture is or can be part of the material (and sometimes people will just use the word "texture" interchangeably with "material," or they'll call a material a "shader"). this is not a problem with blender specifically, the 3d world is rife with conflicting terminology.

I was trying to figure out whether the speckled look on the plate came from something like a noise or image texture, or whether it is rendering artifacts. I like the look, but if those are rendering artifacts I was going to offer a tip or two on how to clean up noise.

when you say "fixing the low-poly stuff," do you mean "making the shapes look more obviously faceted and low poly," or do you mean "making smooth surfaces look smooth instead of faceted"? the latter is easier to tackle, you just right click on the object and choose "shade smooth." there is also a handy related tip about something called "auto smoothing" but I don't want to overwhelm you.

I hope none of this comes across as critical, you seem like you're doing great. if you'd rather not get feedback like this just say so, I won't be offended.

vanisher

It was absolutely rendering static and I attempted to remove it with the denoiser, but it didn't work or I made a mistake somewhere.

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

It was absolutely rendering static and I attempted to remove it with the denoiser, but it didn't work or I made a mistake somewhere.

the blender denoiser is great but it is not perfect. some scenes are just inherently noisier than others (low light, shadows, fog are notorious issues). the denoiser does much better if your render samples are high enough, for a simple scene I suggest 400-500 samples (for cycles, this would be pointless for evee lol), or even more if the noise does not go away. the more samples, the longer the render time, it's always a tradeoff and the sweet spot depends on the situation.

making your scene brighter will also often help. if you don't know how to do that don't worry about it, but easy fixes are increasing the intensity of your light sources (e.g. your sun lamp), adding more light sources, rearranging the light sources so they provide better illumination, or adding environment lighting. making things too bright can ruin your scene however.

there are other things you can do to reduce noise, both in terms of render settings and how you set up your scene. they're worth knowing but I suggest waiting until noise becomes a big issue for you with a particular scene. however if you're just plain curious there is nothing wrong with investigating the topic, you might or might not fully grasp the information but it will plant seeds that could be useful later.

there are also other denoisers that have become available recently. people who are really worried about noise are pretty excited about them.

Manifisto

I should add that environment lighting using HDRI images is truly magical, it is much closer to the way lighting works in the real world. there are lots of free and royalty-free high-quality images available at HDRI Haven. while it might not be a "beginner" topic it's so crucial to getting good results in renders I think it's worth knowing about.

vanisher

Shade smooth... I forgot shade smooth.

I was trying to use modifiers to increase the resolution during the render and it was a simple right click to fix.

Manifisto posted:

the blender denoiser is great but it is not perfect. some scenes are just inherently noisier than others (low light, shadows, fog are notorious issues). the denoiser does much better if your render samples are high enough, for a simple scene I suggest 400-500 samples (for cycles, this would be pointless for evee lol), or even more if the noise does not go away. the more samples, the longer the render time, it's always a tradeoff and the sweet spot depends on the situation.

making your scene brighter will also often help. if you don't know how to do that don't worry about it, but easy fixes are increasing the intensity of your light sources (e.g. your sun lamp), adding more light sources, rearranging the light sources so they provide better illumination, or adding environment lighting. making things too bright can ruin your scene however.

there are other things you can do to reduce noise, both in terms of render settings and how you set up your scene. they're worth knowing but I suggest waiting until noise becomes a big issue for you with a particular scene. however if you're just plain curious there is nothing wrong with investigating the topic, you might or might not fully grasp the information but it will plant seeds that could be useful later.

there are also other denoisers that have become available recently. people who are really worried about noise are pretty excited about them.

I think it was a brightness issue! The tutorial talks about lighting and that really helped me the first time

e: yikes there are just dumb structural mistakes I made. So much to learn.

vanisher fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 18, 2020

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

I was trying to use modifiers to increase the resolution during the render and it was a simple right click to fix.

your instincts were good. the subsurface modifier is a great way to smooth things (it has its own little issues though). "shade smooth" can't turn low poly meshes into realistically smooth curves, the edges will remain angular. the two are used together quite frequently.

ty nesamdoom!

nut

I demand an update on the hamburger

vanisher

nut posted:

I demand an update on the hamburger

It needs to be redone

vanisher fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 18, 2020

nut

but look how smooth it is I could eat off of that hamburger

Manifisto

it's a real improvement, good going.

e: I'm trying to avoid giving too many pointers. if you want them, just ask.

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 18, 2020

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

it's a real improvement, good going.

e: I'm trying to avoid giving too many pointers. if you want them, just ask.

oh its alright to give tips I appreciate it!

check it out I added ants

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

i'd eat that burg. not the one with ants though

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Pahilla the Hun

i'd hit it

thanks nesamdoom!!

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

check it out I added ants

ooh la la, particles! they look good but the distribution seems a bit regular. there is a "Distribution" setting you can change to "random" instead of "jittered" and that might help (it's in the particle properties under "Emission"). in this case you want to be emitting from faces, not vertices or volume.

other thoughts, from the perspective of basics:

* it looks like you've already made the bun less shiny, you could probably bump the roughness slider up a bit more in the material.

* putting the plate on a surface, even a simple plane, will add realism and solidity. our eyes expect to see shadows.

* the tomato and lettuce would benefit from a hint of translucence in the material. a quick way to do that is to adjust the "Transmission" slider. slightly advanced trick: an object can have more than one material, you could make the flesh of the tomato a different material from the skin. no need to bother if that doesn't matter to you right now.

* it's a little hard to tell from this angle, have you managed to make the underside of the top bun flat with a well defined edge? that's a common issue with subdivision surfaces and there are various strategies for fixing it. one is to add an "edge loop" (or a surrounding pair of edge loops) very close to the edge you want to retain. another is to adjust the "edge crease" setting of the edges you want to keep sharp. I can say more but googling a video might be faster and clearer.

as you progress you'll learn other ways to add realism, like surface details, color variations, that sort of thing. you're really doing great tho.

vanisher

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

this is a photography thing i know nothing about blender, but backlighting makes your burg look darker and less appetizing

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Pahilla the Hun

i think the burger is looking tastey my only comment would be to lighten up them seeds they still kind of look like ants, which may or may not be what you're going for don't mind me

thanks nesamdoom!!

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

this is a photography thing i know nothing about blender, but backlighting makes your burg look darker and less appetizing

lots of photography stuff applies to blender, it's interesting.

I think the seed distribution looks better, nice going!

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

lots of photography stuff applies to blender, it's interesting.

I think the seed distribution looks better, nice going!

I could look up a video i'm sure, but how do you make a surface like glass or a crystal?

e: I looked it up - wow crazy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Rjj9HwSiA

vanisher fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 19, 2020

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

I could look up a video i'm sure, but how do you make a surface like glass or a crystal?

e: I looked it up - wow crazy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Rjj9HwSiA

lol it's not really that crazy unless you are looking for very realistic glass in eevee. there is a "glass" shader that works extremely well in cycles and does a decent job in eevee - I posted some results earlier itt:

just replace the "Principled BSDF" with "Glass BSDF" in the node editor for the material.

glass can be a bit finicky though, the refractions can come out looking not like you want even though it's physically correct. if I just want to create the impression of glass but not refraction etc. I'll use a mix shader to mix between a transparent shader and a glossy shader.

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

nice!

An update on my Donut (from the discord chat)