Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

My Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwfan53
May 11, 2018

Kibayasu posted:

Actually you can get way more by chronosphering loaded transports.

As a terrible RTS turtle this mission really hosed with me for a long time. If you aren't heading straight toward teleporting some tanks over to kill the power you just won't have any time at all.

My strategy was always use the chronosphering to teleport over IFVs loaded with spys inside the enemy base, right next to their nukes, because all three silos operate on the same countdown, there aren't any dogs on patrol inside the enemy base next to the nukes, so just tell the IFVs to unload the spies before they're destroyed, and your spies can hang around to reset the timer on the nukes whenever you need to.

This gives you all the time in the world to build a conventional naval force, and I believe all three nuke silos can be taken out via aircraft carriers if you can gain uncontested naval dominance, not as flashy as the Prisim Tank teleport but also a bit safer, as the navy you are building to take out the nuke silos eventually can also be used to keep the soviets from attacking you with their own naval assets.

If it wasn't already mentioned, sending a spy into an enemy superweapon resets its countdown timer....

iwfan53 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 4, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 12: Operation: Chrono Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONqnYlpm3mY
Operation: Chrono Storm

With the Chronosphere online, and the Soviets on the run outside of their country's borders, it is time to finally strike the decisive blow against Romanov and his goons! The first objective is to clear an area so that we may safely Chronoshift units near the Kremlin. Be aware that Romanov's most powerful and fanatical units will surely be guardian the capital and surrounding area, so do not let your guard down. The Reds are getting desperate, end this once and for all!

The home of evil itself, Moscow!

Objective: Eliminate the Black Guard and capture Romanov.

Briefing: The war is nearly at an end. A hand-picked group of volunteers will use the Chronosphere to invade Moscow from across the world. Once you have secured the Kremlin, Tanya will capture Romanov and put an end to Soviet aggression. You are the only commander skilled enough to make this work. Your forces will be outnumbered at least ten to one. Good luck.

Author's note: A fun mission, with the entire Allied tech tree finally at your fingertips. The easiest way to cheese this mission is to devote your energy to Chrono Legionnaires, and keep a large anti-Kirov force at home.

Name: Unknown
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Donald La Mothe

Padre reading the testament for Gen. Carville.

Name: President Dugan
Voiced/Played by: Ray Wise

President of the United States of America. Helped install Premier Romanov in Soviet Russia. Defected to the Reds. Rehabilitated after the destruction of the Psychic Beacon in Washington D.C. Is willing to authorize lethal force in urban areas... provided you don't harm any of his constituents.

Voiced/Played by: Unknown

Honor Guard for Gen. Carville.

Voiced/Played by: Spike Measer or Robert Garretson

Personal protection detail for President Dugan. (They made an earlier appearance during Haill To The Chief's in-mission video. I can't tell either apart.)

Chrono Legionnaire
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: Chrono-Gun
COST: 1500

A Chrono Legionnaire never walks anywhere. Instead of walking, he teleports around the map. The distance of the teleport determines how long it takes him to “phase back in” at his new location. While phasing back in, the Chrono Legionnaire is vulnerable to enemy fire. His weapon is unique. Rather than destroying enemy units and structures, his weapon simply erases them out of time. The more powerful the enemy, the longer this takes. While being erased, the enemy unit is invulnerable. If the Chrono Legionnaire is killed while erasing a unit, the partially-erased unit will reappear.

Author's Note: The ultimate infantry, able to eliminate, from history, any units or building, provided they are on the ground. Yes, they need protection while erasing their target from time, just train more Legionnaires!

Gap Generator
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 1000
POWER USAGE: 100
PURPOSE: "Cloaking" Device

Much of the Allied strategy revolves around gathering superior information and denying information to the Soviets. When a Gap Generator is deployed, it creates a shroud over a wide radius, hiding the Allied base from Soviet radar. The Gap Generator requires a great deal of power to maintain.

Author's Note: This exists.

Weather Machine
ARMOR: Concrete
COST: 5000
POWER USAGE: 200
PURPOSE: Allied Super Weapon

The Weather Control Device gives the Allied commander the ability to control the forces of nature. Once built, the Weather Control Device will create a powerful lightning storm, which can be deployed over any part of the map, causing incredible destruction. The lighting storm will destroy buildings and units over a large area. When a Weather Control Device is built, all players will receive notification of the construction, and the shroud above the device is removed. All players will also receive a countdown as the lightning storm is developed.

Author's Note: The Allied version of the Nuclear Missile, without the radiation after effects. High damage, large area of effect, but the cost and power consumption may make you think twice about getting one.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Your legendary command skills will go down in history. You are one of the greatest generals of all time."

Slower than Par Time: "Romanov is captured, the war is won. Victory is yours."

:siren: :siren:

SPOILERS BELOW THIS

:siren: :siren:

The End Of The Allied Campaign

As the Black Guard are thrown into the nearby river, the Weather Control Device exacts a toll on the Soviets, and the remaining nukes are disabled by Prism tanks, we see Tanya and some GIs infiltrate the Kremlin just prior to Romanov's attempt at subterfuge, catching him with his pants down.

Name: Tanya
Aliases: Widowmaker
Affiliation: Hired Gun
Voiced/Played by: Kari Wuhrer

Agent Tanya is a renowned mercenary who plays by her own rules. It has been suggested that the name "Tanya" may be a codename, similar to Agent 007. Responded to the crisis and helped recapture the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, after having dealt with the Soviet invasion in New York. Sent to Poland to destroy the forward Soviet nukes used to deter European involvement in the ongoing Third World War. Sometimes uses an AK-47, sans top cover, as her primary weapon. Vital in several Allied operations of the war, and personally captured Premier Romanov in his HQ.

Names: Unknown
Voiced/Played by: Sharif Perry, Micheal Rouleau, and Jeremy Olson

Aided Tanya in storming the Kremlin. (I'm not 100% who is who in this video)

Affiliation: Soviet Union

Personal Guard to Romanov.

Affiliation: Soviet Union
Occupation: Aide to the Premier of the Soviet Union (Unconfirmed)

Personal Aide to Romanov.

Name: Alexander Romanov
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Nicholas Worth

Premier of the Soviet Union. Caught with his pants down while trying to evade capture by the Allied forces in his Headquarters.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'd love to have some hammer and sickle boxers myself.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
the picture of chernenko on the walls inside the kremlin during the end cutscene raises some more impossible-to-answer timeline questions

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Question why don't you use engineer IFV?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosDragon posted:

Question why don't you use engineer IFV?

To repair my other vehicles you mean? I find that using repair vehicles in the same group as combat vehicles to expose such units too much and they generally die. See medics from Tiberian Sun running in front of the infantry.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If memory and the video serve, the nuke tends to target your war factory above all else.

One reason to keep the refineries up is they're exposed as hell and easy spy fodder.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that chrono legionnaire... I can see it being really lovely to deal with in multiplayer (though I guess if you're good the opponent shouldn't have time, heh, to field them), but goddamn that's the kinda low-key (ie no huge explosions/particle effects) superweapon I like to see in an RTS.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

If memory and the video serve, the nuke tends to target your war factory above all else.

One reason to keep the refineries up is they're exposed as hell and easy spy fodder.

Yeah it seemed that way in the video. I was just annoyed that I was lied to by my PRIMA GUIDES OFFICIAL STRATEGY GUIDE! t m

The nuclear reactors are also notable targets for spies. According to the wiki I reference, the Soviets never run out of cash for reasons.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

Iirc the skirmish AI also prioritizes war factories to an insane degree.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Author's Note: This exists.

Yeah, this is about all you can say about the gap generator.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

According to the wiki I reference, the Soviets never run out of cash for reasons.

It would make sense for them to have infinite money, when we're in their capital.

E:

There's no reason to ever eat the first nuke in this level. You have plenty of time to chrono those two power plants on the right and next to the Kremlin away. Or is it enough with just the two on the right? I don't remember. I've never had their nuke fire, in either case.

EE:

Ah, needs five.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 17, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Allied campaign always feels so short.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The newspaper bit about the Allies blowing up the Kremlin after the fact seems needlessly cruel. Especially when it's a game over if you do it during the mission.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

There's no reason to ever eat the first nuke in this level. You have plenty of time to chrono those two power plants on the right and next to the Kremlin away. Or is it enough with just the two on the right? I don't remember. I've never had their nuke fire, in either case.
I don't think those two are enough. But you can fairly easily get a spy into one to halt the countdown for half a minute, or into the nuclear silo itself to reset it completely.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 17, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

Or just get a spy into one to halt the countdown for half a minute, or the nuclear silo to reset it.

It's an alarmingly easy final mission.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

I don't think those two are enough. But you can fairly easily get a spy into one to halt the countdown for half a minute, or into the nuclear silo itself to reset it completely.
You can make the two on the southern edge of the map vanish without any resistance too, if you position your legionnaires properly.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh Chrono Legionnaire's, next to the Prism Tank, probably my favorite Allied unit. Never thought to just sneak them into the Kremlin grounds though, always just rolled on through with a massive tank army for one final massive battle. Also, if you are sneaky with Blackhawks, you can capture the more exposed Nuclear Power Plants and then be pretty much set for power for the rest of the mission. Think there is also some hidden crates around too.

THE BAR posted:

It's an alarmingly easy final mission.

Agreed. Compared to the final allied mission of RA1, with its super tough start and the whole three lanes of death layout, and this map doesn't even come close to the nightmarish struggle the RA1 final map was. However, definitely looking forward to the Soviet campaign though, I remember having some fun times with it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I found this mission pretty stressful when I played because I was a baby and the constrained resources you have, plus the constant Kirov pressure, and the scary nuke timer put a lot of tension on you.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The main use for Gap Generators against the AI is to neuter their super weapons. The AI will only target buildings and units it can "see" so if your entire base is covered by Gap Generators it will sit there with its thumb up its rear end until one of your units leaves cover.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That ending cinematic is beautiful.

ThingOne posted:

The main use for Gap Generators against the AI is to neuter their super weapons. The AI will only target buildings and units it can "see" so if your entire base is covered by Gap Generators it will sit there with its thumb up its rear end until one of your units leaves cover.

...so how stupid is the AI about superweapon targeting? If all it can see is a single Chrono Legionnaire that teleported into the middle of its own base...?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

That ending cinematic is beautiful.

...so how stupid is the AI about superweapon targeting? If all it can see is a single Chrono Legionnaire that teleported into the middle of its own base...?

I've never tried that but I know it will happily target a lone GI if that's all it can see.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I absolutely loved the American flag with flyover bit they added to the cutscene. Ray Wise was such a good casting.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ThingOne posted:

I never knew this. Thanks!

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I'm guessing the iron curtain can't be used on air units which is why they were no invincible air ships flying towards you.

Does anything happen if air units fly into the lightning storm?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

To the best of my knowledge, the AI nukes will always target the War Factory if you have one (never knew about the Gap Generator trick). If you for some reason don't have a War Factory at the time (for instance, if you sold it 10 seconds before launch) the next target on the priority list is the Naval Yard. The thing is, the Naval Yard can survive a direct hit from a nuke. And as a bonus, it's usually far enough away from everything else to avoid collateral damage.

While not very useful on this mission, this is a potential lifesaver on mission 7 and 11 if you're playing slowly. I guess you could tecnically capture the airfield and plop down a Naval Yard in the river (I think you're allowed to build one), but you're better off just rushing Chrono Legionnaires and a Spy Satellite.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I am *certain* I've seen the AI target Naval Yards before War Factories in skirmishes when both are built, I will need to check that out.

I've also never noticed Gap Generators blocking superweapon targeting, but it's possible I just never established total coverage to experience it since they are otherwise worthless. Definitely going to test those both out again.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Never mind, I just tested it and apparently I've been wrong about Gap Generators for 20 loving years and now I don't know what's real anymore :psyduck:.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If it makes you feel any better you just gave everybody else that same feeling

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Your compound is very defensible and they even give you a fair few oil derricks inside it. Agree that it's way easier than the RA1 last Allied mission - which aside from the massive Soviet base, also has you start with just Tanya and a couple of thieves, and make you steal credits just to get your MCV to turn up. (spoilered to be safe)

Even eating the nuke is no big deal. There's ample space to put your barracks and war factory far apart so that the nuke only destroys one, and ample resources to rebuild either. When you lose your war factory - which the AI will prioritize - you can still produce rocketeers and chrono legionnaires, and you know the rest.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet 01: Operation: Red Dawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI-AL7TnxvY
Operation: Red Dawn

The time has come to bring down the sleeping giant and end its arrogant grip on the world used only for its own gains. To this aim, we have devised a plan to invade the United States from Mexico, while also hitting the eastern and western seaboards, centering on centers of power, income, and technology. With one swift stroke, your men will cut the head off of the American forces by targeting and destroying the Pentagon. Retaliation should not be expected, as Yuri has assured the Premier that no nukes will be launched, and forces back in the Motherland are strategically positioned in order to put pressure on the European allies and keep them out of the conflict. Do not disappoint us!

Washington D.C., USA

Objective: Destroy the Pentagon!

Briefing: It is your good fortune to be in the vanguard of the Soviet assault on the United States. Lead your troops through Washington and destroy the most hated symbol of American military power, the Pentagon.

Author's note: A nice intro, although I feel like they should've skipped the base-building with how many reinforcements you get, even on hard.

Name: Lt. Zofia
Voiced/Played by: Aleksandra Kaniak

Intelligence Officer to the Commander.

Premier of the Soviet Union. Has a pet turtle named Harry; no dove though.

Name: Yuri
Occupation: Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union [Unconfirmed]
Voiced/Played by: Udo Kier

Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union.

Conscript
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Flak
WEAPON: AK-47 (Assumed)
COST: 100

The counterpart to the Allied GI is the Soviet Conscript. Not able to deploy into a fortified position, Conscripts are cheaper to build than the Allied GI.

Author's Note: Your basic infantry, only great for massed attacks or for garrisoning buildings.

Attack Dog (Soviet)
WEAPON: Teeth
COST: 200

Specially-trained Siberian Huskies, Attack Dogs are extremely effective against infantry, but are completely worthless against vehicles and structures. Additionally, Attack Dogs are your first, best, and only line of defence against Allied Spies. You’ll want Attack Dogs guarding your base at all times.

Author's Note: German Shepherds vs Siberian Huskies.

War Miner
ARMOR: Medium
WEAPON: 20mm Autocannon
COST: 1400

The counterpart to the Allied Chrono Miner, the main purpose of the War-Miner is collecting Ore to be processed into credits. Once processed by a refinery, the Ore allows for the production of both units and structures. Unlike the Allied Chrono Miner, the War-Miner is not completely defenceless. It is armed with a sizeable mounted gun, which gives it the ability to protect itself from minor threats. Like all heavy vehicles, it can also crush enemy infantry by driving over them.

Author's Note: Much tougher than the Chrono Miner, the War Miner trades in the capability to teleport back to base to have twice the capacity for ore, as well as having a 20mm autocannon for protection.

Tesla Reactor
COST: 600
POWER USED: 0
POWER PROVIDED: 150
PURPOSE: Produces Power

The Soviet army depends on the Tesla Reactor to run its base operations. Like Power Plants, Tesla Reactors are extremely important, but are very vulnerable. These structures must be protected at all times. Spies are a particular nuisance.

Author's Note: The Soviet version of the Power Plant, it provides less power while also costing less.

Ore Refinery (Soviet)
COST: 2000
POWER USED: 50
PURPOSE: Provides Income

Your War Miners need somewhere to take the Ore they collect. That place is the Ore Refinery, a structure at the very heart of your economic operation. A filled Miner will return to the Refinery to dump its load of Ore before returning to the field. This Ore is then converted into credits, which you can use to purchase structures and units. Each Ore Refinery comes with a Miner. You will need one of these buildings in every mission and will often want several. Make more Miners and Ore Refineries to make more money.

Author's Note: Same as the Allied version.

Barracks (Soviet)
ARMOR: Steel
COST: 500
POWER USED: 10
PURPOSE: Trains Infantry

The creation of all infantry units from the basic Conscript to the advanced [REDACTED] is performed at the Soviet Barracks. Many of your more powerful and effective structures and base defenses require the presence of a Barracks.

Author's Note: The manual doesn't use the Soviet version of the Barracks, oddly enough.

Sentry Gun
ARMOR: Steel
COST: 500
POWER USED: 0
PURPOSE: Base Defense

This stationary gun is used to defend against enemy infantry. It is not a very effective weapon against vehicles.

Author's Note: It's a cooler pillbox.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "The Pentagon was crushed so quickly that many important American generals were captured by our victorious soldiers, crippling their armed forces."

Slower than Par Time: "Thanks to you, the Pentagon has been destroyed and the American military has been thrown into chaos."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Soviet 01: Operation: Red Dawn

Attack Dog (Soviet)
WEAPON: Teeth
COST: 200

Specially-trained Siberian Huskies, Attack Dogs are extremely effective against infantry, but are completely worthless against vehicles and structures. Additionally, Attack Dogs are your first best friend.

I swear I read it like this on a first glance.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I would probably prefer that, actually.

Trust the State, Trust your Dog.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man I've always loved Yuri. Udo Kier hams it up just the right amount.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The Soviet videos are so much better than the Allied ones :allears:

iwfan53
May 11, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Premier of the Soviet Union. Has a pet turtle named Harry; no dove though.

The mission video clearly establishes that the pet turtle's name is "Sam", 0/5 would not recommend let's play, scrap the whole thing, start back over with Tiberium Dawn and do it properly this time!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

By the way, the turtle "duck and cover" bit came from this lovely bit of cold war propaganda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWH4tWkZpPU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

SIGSEGV posted:

By the way, the turtle "duck and cover" bit came from this lovely bit of cold war propaganda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWH4tWkZpPU

also referenced as a useful US event card when playing the Soviet side in the critically acclaimed boardgame Twilight Struggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

iwfan53 posted:

The mission video clearly establishes that the pet turtle's name is "Sam", 0/5 would not recommend let's play, scrap the whole thing, start back over with Tiberium Dawn and do it properly this time!

Please, I'm trying to feel proud of myself for making a clever reference.