Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WMOTYC: Toru Yano vs. Jado, New Japan Cup 6/16

Not even the obvious smoke and mirrors could save this from being a tedious slog that went at least 5 minutes too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

WMOTYC: Toru Yano vs. Jado, NJPW New Japan Cup, 16/06

Please retire Jado

Yep I’m a big proponent of Yano but even his bullshit didn’t save Jado from having zero business being in the ring. Really should’ve ended soon after the initial funny business with the stick and pad

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Please retire Jado

Felt like it went 20 minutes, may have actually gone under 10. Either way still far too long.

This a nth

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Golden Aces/Yuji Nagata/Yuya Uemura vs. Dangerous Tekkers/Minoru Suzuki/Yoshinobu Kanemaru, NJPW New Japan Cup, 16/06

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

HM: Golden Aces/Yuji Nagata/Yuya Uemura vs. Dangerous Tekkers/Minoru Suzuki/Yoshinobu Kanemaru, NJPW New Japan Cup, 16/06

2nd, even not including the postmatch stuff which was a blast (and the foreground/background framing on Suzuki/Nagata and Ibushi/ZSJ :kiss:) I'd happily HM this.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WMOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs Tomoaki Honma, New Japan Cup, 16th June
It breaks my heart to nominate my beautiful wild boy for a worst match, but Honma shouldn’t be wrestling at all, let alone in a featured singles match. Every move he did looked like poo poo. Almost every bump he took was awful or horrifying or both. This stunk. The DVD on the apron was pretty cool though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TBH I had it just a notch below HM level. His best singles in 4 years.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs. El Desperado - New Japan Cup Night 1 6/16

Just so loving good, and all the false finishes had me biting on each one no matter who was doing the pinning.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs. El Desperado, NJPW New Japan Cup, 16/06

I can't go to MOTYC cause it took a while to get going but the ending absolutely ripped

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Just so loving good, and all the false finishes had me biting on each one no matter who was doing the pinning.

nth

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jerusalem posted:

Nth

Just short of a motyc. Reckon with a crowd it would have got there

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Same. Ishii is such a dude. Despy is the best. New Japan Pro Wrestling is the best

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

this match only needs one more vote for MOTYC status and it was really really very good so you should watch it imo

Yeah, Nth. That was great, always enjoy what i'm seeing from Asuka

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Nth. They had me convinced that Despy was going to pull off the upset and announce his move up to the heavyweight division.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM - Ishii/Desperado
WMOTYC - Yano/Jado

I thought Hiromu/Honma was perfectly fine and the kokeshi shenanigans were fun

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs Tomoaki Honma - New Japan Cup Night 1 6/16

Haven't seen the main event yet so I'll definitely be back, but I'm actually gonna buck the trend by giving a HM nom to Hiromu/Honma for one reason and one reason alone: It was an absolute masterclass in how to carry some barely mobile old lunk to a perfectly decent match and worth watching for that reason alone.

E:

Jerusalem posted:

To the absolute surprise of nobody I fully agree with this.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 16, 2020

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs Tomoaki Honma - New Japan Cup Night 1 6/16

Haven't seen the main event yet so I'll definitely be back, but I'm actually gonna buck the trend by giving a HM nom to Hiromu/Honma for one reason and one reason alone: It was an absolute masterclass in how to carry some barely mobile old lunk to a perfectly decent match and worth watching for that reason alone.

Honma, to his credit, at times showed the tiniest bit of the spark he had when he was in his prime, and I bit on one of the false finishes, so he had to have been doing something right.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HM - Ishii/Desperado
WMOTYC - Yano/Jado

Nth.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Congrats to Jado for successfully delivering the first WMOTYC for NJPW in who knows how long

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

extradite THIS! posted:

Congrats to Jado for successfully delivering the first WMOTYC for NJPW in who knows how long

The baby Gracies tag?

These are from the Together Project Special yesterday.

HM: DOUKI, Minoru Suzuki, Taichi, & Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, Togi Makabe, & Yuji Nagata
HM: Hiromu Takahashi, Shingo Takagi, & Tetsuya Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada, SHO, & YOH

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'll nominate Ishii/Despy as MOTYC instead of HM, that match was fantastic

Actual professional wrestling is finally back

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Kota/Naito for the IC title June 9 2019, aka the "you don't hate your neck as much as I hate my neck" challenge

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chris James 2 posted:

Kota/Naito for the IC title June 9 2019, aka the "you don't hate your neck as much as I hate my neck" challenge

Then again that one also got a MOTYC. I don't think Yano/Jado had any such redeeming qualities.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Please retire Jado

nth this; this was pretty rough. It's bad when you can't even get to the point of having an entertaining bullshit match with Yano because you're so incapable of moving.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Add me to the chorus for Ishii/Despy as HM. I actually bit on the Guitarra de Angel. Partly because I had it in the back of my head that maybe Desperado would play spoiler to Hiromu and set up a Jr title match for Dominion.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Rainbow Gate, 6/14

HM: All Japan Junior Heavyweight Championship Match - Susumu Yokosuka vs. Hokuto Omori (All Japan Pro Wrestling) vs. Yosuke♡Santa Maria

Super fun match, great performances as you'd expect from Susumu and Maria, and while I'm not really familiar with All Japan's undercard, Omori looked really impressive and was able to keep up with the two Dragon Gate performers just fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought Dragon Gate didn't play well with the other promotions?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, they've been okay with AJPW for a while now, probably because they're both on Gaora TV

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Hokuto Omori is a young boy; only just got his first set of non-rookie gear.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

They've been playing nicer with other promotions since Okamura was forced out as president and Toru Kido took over. Susumu won All Japan's junior title earlier this year and Mochizuki has been tagging with Marafuji in NOAH as well.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM: El Desperado vs Tomohiro Ishii New Japan Cup night 1

We better get Hiromu vs Ishii in this New Japan cup cause it'll slap

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rarity posted:

Nth, this match whipped rear end. Had a similar energy to a multiman during the G1 last year that had a similar level of both fun chaos and story advancement; it was the one before KENTA and Tanahashi fought on the next show, if anybody remembers the one I mean. Suzuki and Nagata had me grinning ear to ear, I was so elated to watch a "pissed off old men hit each other really hard" sequence again after all this time away.

I think that Hiromu/Honma match is just *thiiiiiis* close to being an HM, but isn't quite there. They told a decent story of Hiromu really obviously putting the limiters on because he underestimated the broken down old man and getting a bit more than he bargained for (which also served the real life function of allowing Honma to actually keep up with him, because it would've been a total clusterfuck if Hiromu went full speed). It was just a hair too slow at points for me to actually push it over the edge and give it an HM, but A for effort to both of them.

Jerusalem posted:

BIG TIME NTH, Ishii is the best, Despy is the best, please give Despy more spotlight in the future, Gedo. He's never going to top Hiromu in terms of star power but he's such an excellent, underrated talent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki - NJPW New Japan Cup Night 2 6/17

Two old men beat the utter poo poo out of each other and it absolutely loving ruled from start to finish. God I wish this had been in front of a crowd but even in an empty arena it was just so loving great.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Two old men beat the utter poo poo out of each other and it absolutely loving ruled from start to finish. God I wish this had been in front of a crowd but even in an empty arena it was just so loving great.

Uh yeah

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

yeah this

The Croc fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 17, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo yes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Yes. This is one of the 2 or 3 best no-crowd matches I've seen thus far

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Minoru Suzuki vs. Yuji Nagata, NJPW New Japan Cup, 17/06

To quote that tweet, two grandpas fighting over the last Werther's original

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Jerusalem posted:

nth nth nth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welcome back to the MOTYC list, New Japan, it's been too long :shobon: