Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

IUG posted:

The rest of the MST3k crew seemed pretty left, from what I remember. I don't follow anyone other than the main Rifftrax account and Bill/Kevin, but I remember Frank being pretty extreme online (and I'm pretty sure he was left), to the point that I had to unfollow him. Joel is an old hippy I believe, so maybe Cinematic Titanic needs to start back up again or something if there's a falling out at Rifftrax if Mike won't budge.

joel is more beat than hippy, i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

remigious posted:

I hope they can work out their differences. I honestly don’t think I would buy any more rifftrax if Bill quit. Politics aside, Bill and Kevin make me laugh the most. But I don’t really want to lose any of them :(

I won't buy any more unless Mike expresses genuine contrition and willingness to change (as I mentioned a couple of posts above). The masks (which were barely affixed to begin with) have really come off of conservative America in general over the last two decades or so, and if people choose to ally themselves with modern American conservatism (whether it's by griping about "cancel culture", or the pandemic lockdown measures, or complaining you can't use "the N-word" or "the F-word" when talking about black people or gay people, or saying "blue lives matter" or "all lives matter", to name just a few examples), then they have to face facts that they are aligning themselves with some of the absolute worst people in history. If Mike or any other artist or company is perfectly OK with doing that, that's their right, whether I like it or not. Just as it's my right not to give them any more of my money when I find things like this out.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

If Mike goes you would have to think Bridget goes as well. They've known each other for many years so hopefully things can sort itself out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IUG posted:

The rest of the MST3k crew seemed pretty left, from what I remember. I don't follow anyone other than the main Rifftrax account and Bill/Kevin, but I remember Frank being pretty extreme online (and I'm pretty sure he was left), to the point that I had to unfollow him. Joel is an old hippy I believe, so maybe Cinematic Titanic needs to start back up again or something if there's a falling out at Rifftrax if Mike won't budge.

Trace is also pretty left but isn't as vocal as Frank (few are as vocal as Frank). The other guy on Mike's 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back is Conor Lastowka, one of the RiffTrax writers who also seems to swing to the left.

The third guy on Audio Mullet is apparently the Axe Cop dude. Which i never got into but now at least I don't have to put in the effort.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
With the MST3k reboot losing momentum, and Bill/Kevin potentially leaving Rifftrax, perhaps there is an opportunity there for a Joel/Bill/Kevin collab.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Rusty Kettle posted:

With the MST3k reboot losing momentum, and Bill/Kevin potentially leaving Rifftrax, perhaps there is an opportunity there for a Joel/Bill/Kevin collab.

I would imagine that'd depend on contracts, etc., but I wouldn't object. That said, I think Joel is pretty much done with doing riffs himself and would rather be the behind-the-scenes guy. And it seems like he also prefers to use the MST3K umbrella to help elevate newer talents. But, you never know.

MrMidnight posted:

If Mike goes you would have to think Bridget goes as well. They've known each other for many years so hopefully things can sort itself out.

I'm pretty sure Mike owns Rifftrax, so it wouldn't be a matter of him leaving but rather whether the others were willing to stay. It would suck to have a scenario where he replaces Bill and Kevin with some chud-rear end riffers making lovely cracks about SJWs and "safe spaces" and whatnot, but that'd likely be a worst-case scenario kinda thing where they just can't reconcile their differences.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 16, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm pretty sure Mike owns Rifftrax, so it wouldn't be a matter of him leaving but rather whether the others were willing to stay. It would suck to have a scenario where he replaces Bill and Kevin with some chud-rear end riffers making lovely cracks about SJWs and "safe spaces" and whatnot, but that'd likely be a worst-case scenario kinda thing where they just can't reconcile their differences.

If the others are serious about sticking to their principles, Mike would have to replace like everybody. Bill, Kevin, the writers like Conor, Sean and Jason, all of them don't seem like they'd be down with Doug.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You know, Bill and Jonah would bounce pretty well off each other I think.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rusty Kettle posted:

Bill/Kevin potentially leaving Rifftrax

I haven't seen anything from either of them on this subject, at least not on Twitter (other than one reply someone embeded a few posts up, which hardly counts since you only see that if you go looking for it). I doubt that Rifftrax is going to break up based on what we've seen so far. But if they do, eh, I haven't bought anything from Rifftrax in like a year now, but have sunk probably a thousand or two over the years. (My wife doesn't enjoy MST3k or Rifftrax, so that's what stopped me a few years back.)

Also someone did a health check on the Kickstarter campaigns with the last one they did, aren't they going up in money taken in year after year? Bill and Kevin would have to very publicly leave the company for there to be a dent in that.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

IUG posted:

Also someone did a health check on the Kickstarter campaigns with the last one they did, aren't they going up in money taken in year after year?

I don't think the absolute numbers are going up, but their campaigns don't look like they're hurting.

ringu0 posted:

I hastily assembled this as a response to people saying RiffTrax Live's movie offerings decline every year. Here it is updated with 2020's results:

2020: 2 ($225,000, 8,446 backers pledged $475,595)

2019: 3 ($250,000, 8,618 backers pledged $539,351)

2018: 2 ($250,000, 9,436 backers pledged $501,807)

2017: 2* ($250,000, 8,602 backers pledged $430,620)

2016: 3** ($225,000, 11,686 backers pledged $620,999)

2015: 4 ($75,000, 3,842 backers pledged $250,303)

2014: 4 ($100,000, 4,887 backers pledged $265,011)

*) 2 movies + Summer Shorts Beach Party
**) 3 movies + MST3K Reunion Show

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Doug Tennapel is so virulently awful that I can't really continue buying stuff from a guy that willingly associates with him :smith:

Oh well. That's depressing. I was feeling pretty good about rifftrax when they deleted that nasty transphobic joke from Laser Mission, too..

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Kojiro posted:

Doug Tennapel is so virulently awful that I can't really continue buying stuff from a guy that willingly associates with him :smith:

Oh well. That's depressing. I was feeling pretty good about rifftrax when they deleted that nasty transphobic joke from Laser Mission, too..

If Mike (and the rest of the crew) did that, here's hoping he can do more

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Another Bill posted:

They had good chemistry during the reuinion live show, which I just rewatched while I worked today. I'd be down for that.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1273027121036787714

I uhhh.... I think that's what you call a subtweet

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Frank is great

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So hey, nice things.

Just can't have them, can we

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I've heard from anyone tired to Rifftrax was the Bill Corbett tweet about how the discussions about what happens now are being done in private.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 28, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RandomPauI posted:

The only thing I've heard from anyone tired to Rifftrax was the Bill Corbett tweet about how the discussions about what happens now are being done in private.

Yeah, there's really not much more to say at this point besides the whole thing sucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1273027121036787714

I uhhh.... I think that's what you call a subtweet
Lol this is literally what Pence believes or pretends to believe

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/1273230388165521410

"I always KNEW he was terrible at his job on top of being a terrible person!" always crops up when this happens and it always seems to bury the lede. Mike was and is talented, and that's part of why it hurts so much.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Dawgstar posted:

"I always KNEW he was terrible at his job on top of being a terrible person!" always crops up when this happens and it always seems to bury the lede. Mike was and is talented, and that's part of why it hurts so much.

Yeah, when its someone whose work you care about you really don't want to believe it, which is how some people get away with being publicly abhorrent.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bill posted a bit more on this too:

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1273141488919158785
https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1273144275576983553
https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1273144623515533312

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I really hope I'm as cool as Bill when I grow up :kiddo:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Doesn't sound like Bill is considering leaving Rifftrax over this based on those tweets. Guess we'll see how this sorts out. Fwiw, Mike has been absent from the last couple podcasts. Maybe he's decided to give it up.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
There probably won't be a split, but if there is, Bill is getting me in the divorce.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Another Bill posted:

Bill guested on Jonah’s podcast a while back, and they were really, really funny together.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, exactly. I love Joel (I'm kinda iffy on Jonah and the revival though), but Mike did so many great MST3K episodes during his run (and, as Joel pointed out, contributed a lot to his own episodes as well) that it really makes this whole thing that much more upsetting.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol this is literally what Pence believes or pretends to believe

this is tangential to the discussion but it's worse than that: pence is saying that there isn't a second wave because """we've successfully defeated covid""" and it's over now

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I'm glad they're handling it privately (for now) because that's the appropriate way to do things. It's not a tribunal and if people are desperately worried about getting an "answer" before they order more stuff, it might be helpful for them to have a pause for reflection. Rushing to conclusions in any direction to satisfy somebody who absolutely must purchase and watch the riffed version of "Miami Connection" before Friday but requires a position paper first would be ridiculous.

This whole thing is really disappointing and I'm specifically disappointed in Mike and I hope this gets worked out (properly).

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Guy Fieri was a total homophobe and he repented publicly and has officiated like 200+ lgtb weddings last I heard. I hope Mike is listening to that kind of coaching.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I'm glad Joel pushed back against this. Pretending Mike isn't funny won't resolve the issue.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm glad Joel pushed back against this. Pretending Mike isn't funny won't resolve the issue.

https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/1273253236275843080?s=20

And I do recall that there were plenty of times Mike made a riff during his MST3K run that were definitely not 100% positive about religion, etc., and certainly Kevin/Trace/Bill also made plenty of anti-religious/anti-Republican riffs that Mike appeared to be OK with, so I dunno if this is just something that developed after MST3K ended or if he was just quietly seething at the time. But either way, Joel's absolutely right about how talented Mike was and is.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 17, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And I do recall that there were plenty of times Mike made a riff during his MST3K run that were definitely not 100% positive about religion, etc., and certainly Kevin/Trace/Bill also made plenty of anti-religious/anti-Republican riffs that Mike appeared to be OK with, so I dunno if this is just something that developed after he left MST3K or if he was just quietly seething at the time. But either way, Joel's absolutely right about how talented Mike was and is.

Mike has always been fairly open about his libertarian bent.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I really feel for all the MST3K folks ( and Rifftrax ). They've been working with Mike for 30+ years, their careers and personal lives and gosh I'll even say comedy legacies are completely intertwined. It's not as easy as saying "I quit" or "Mike's Cancelled" or whatever for them.

He's put them all in a really tough spot.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/RiffTrax/status/1273303744793411585/

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Oh gently caress. That's white text on a black background; you know it's serious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's about the best I could hope for and it could have been a lot, lot worse. Still a bit too "I didn't know that" but...I'll take that, at the least.

And yeah Joel has been amazing about all of this.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

currently monitoring https://twitter.com/DougTenNapel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
That's a relief, to be honest.