Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hopefully SP will have time effort put into it to create a decent story. And I imagine that when que up for a game, if you select Empire you'll have to wait forever because every chud will insist on only playing Empire.

Sounds like this is taking place in the period before Jakku so its still open war between the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant. And before Mon Mothma said "if you don't have a military, there will be no wars!" and disarmed the Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

And I imagine that when que up for a game, if you select Empire you'll have to wait forever because every chud will insist on only playing Empire.

You're being silly and hyperbolic for two reasons.

1) Real world politics do not transfer to star war in any coherent way among fans. Everyday folk of all demographics love Darth Vader and storm troopers and it isn't because they yearning for the Fourth Reich. A chud or whatever you imagine a chud to be is just as likely to be attracted to "rebel against the government!" as they would be "beat up SJWs!" or whatever poo poo you think the two sides represent. Trying to derive people's IRL political beliefs based on their choice of Empire/Rebels from star war is a fool's errand based on nonsense.

2) You probably will not choose your faction as part of multiplayer anyway. In general very few games do this (as it relates to teams within a match, meta-systems are different) and I see no reason why it would be the case here. They are clearly going for close analogues with the four available ship types, probably specifically so both sides are equally balanced and faction has limited impact beyond aesthetics. I feel confident in saying right now that if there is any faction choice it will be a soft preference that is quickly overridden if needed to make a match. They will not prevent matches from starting because too many people want to be one side or the other. Just no way.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 17, 2020

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Nothing says epic Star Wars space battles like 5v5.

Remember when Luke and the boys took down the death star? You got Luke, Wedge, Porkins, Red Leader, and Biggs!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
It’s clearly going to work like Titanfall

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mr. Neutron posted:

Nothing says epic Star Wars space battles like 5v5.

I think if they do AI fodder ships they can fill out a battle to feel suitably grand, while still keeping the pvp tight and fast to find games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The five players on each team will either be your ace badass Rogue squadron analogues, or they're actually going to be squadron leaders. Those are the only two ways I can see this working.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A lot of missions involved doing routine scanning of cargo ships at waypoints/obscure space station, and then you find smuggled weapons and a squad of rebel fighters come in to try and rescue them or something and empire scrambles the rest of the tie fighters. Or a general is in a lambda shuttle and rebels are doing a guerilla attack on it with a heavy bomber and a handful of A-wings while the empire responds with a few tie fighters. Not every battle needs to be battle of endor

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Small scale is fine I'm just thinking they should have a 5v5 and a big mode and if they don't have both that would be a real shame. In a frickin game dedicated solely to space combat there should be room for both!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Small scale is fine I'm just thinking they should have a 5v5 and a big mode and if they don't have both that would be a real shame. In a frickin game dedicated solely to space combat there should be room for both!

Have you seen the battlefront thread

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hadlock posted:

Have you seen the battlefront thread

:eyepop:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'd actually like to see a pve mode with long form objectives. Think death star attack in RotJ where you're fighting star destroyers, then taking out a shield, then attacking the death star, or the battle in rogue one, etc, where you can just mow down people and complete multi-part objectives to some bigger goal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Check out Super RoTJ on SNES

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Hadlock posted:

A lot of missions involved doing routine scanning of cargo ships at waypoints/obscure space station, and then you find smuggled weapons and a squad of rebel fighters come in to try and rescue them or something and empire scrambles the rest of the tie fighters. Or a general is in a lambda shuttle and rebels are doing a guerilla attack on it with a heavy bomber and a handful of A-wings while the empire responds with a few tie fighters. Not every battle needs to be battle of endor

This is literally X-Wing Alliance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SyRauk posted:

This is literally X-Wing Alliance.

Yeah I still have the installer.exe and I think those are the two tutorial missions which is usually about as far as I get before something comes up and I forget about it until the next time I install it

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Give us horse pilot, give us ewok pilot, give us gamorean pilot

you cowards

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

You're being silly and hyperbolic for two reasons.

1) Real world politics do not transfer to star war in any coherent way among fans. Everyday folk of all demographics love Darth Vader and storm troopers and it isn't because they yearning for the Fourth Reich. A chud or whatever you imagine a chud to be is just as likely to be attracted to "rebel against the government!" as they would be "beat up SJWs!" or whatever poo poo you think the two sides represent. Trying to derive people's IRL political beliefs based on their choice of Empire/Rebels from star war is a fool's errand based on nonsense.

2) You probably will not choose your faction as part of multiplayer anyway. In general very few games do this (as it relates to teams within a match, meta-systems are different) and I see no reason why it would be the case here. They are clearly going for close analogues with the four available ship types, probably specifically so both sides are equally balanced and faction has limited impact beyond aesthetics. I feel confident in saying right now that if there is any faction choice it will be a soft preference that is quickly overridden if needed to make a match. They will not prevent matches from starting because too many people want to be one side or the other. Just no way.

But the Empire in Star Wars is based on the Nixon Administration

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'd actually like to see a pve mode with long form objectives. Think death star attack in RotJ where you're fighting star destroyers, then taking out a shield, then attacking the death star, or the battle in rogue one, etc, where you can just mow down people and complete multi-part objectives to some bigger goal.
I've actually never played it, but my understanding is that the XvT expansion Balance of Power essentially plays out like this (even if the end goal is blowing up a Super Star Destroyer rather than the Death Star, I think).

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

If they are indeed going for unshielded TIE fighter and Interceptor, I'm curious how will they implement 5 vs 5 without TIEs being outright worse. I still remember from TIE fighter that your basic tie can withstand exactly 1 shot and the second shot will assplode you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TIE had about a 15% "natural" speed boost as well as tighter steering, on top of the faster laser/engine boost due to not having to keep the shields charged, IIRC. I forget but I think the horizontal roll rate of a TIE fighter was a full 33% faster than an X-Wing. TIE could endlessly circle behind an X-Wing at 66% throttle, but the X-Wing had to throttle down to 33% speed to not get blown out of the sky, and then took forever to accelerate up to full speed again. Not as slow as a Y wing, but a noticable difference from the more nimble TIE

There's other balancing things like reloading missiles faster, faster acceleration, faster locking time for missiles, longer range sensors that you can play around with to balance things

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

As suggested earlier, "5v5" might be a little deceptive - I could definitely see AI pilots being included and the Imps being given numerical superiority to offset the resilience of New Republic fighters.

Or just give all the Imps a T/I because in the hands of a good player it'll mop the floor with any Republic offering.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

"The only thing that matters in a starfighter is the pilot inside it" - sůkck MaDilles, 69 bby

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

As suggested earlier, "5v5" might be a little deceptive - I could definitely see AI pilots being included and the Imps being given numerical superiority to offset the resilience of New Republic fighters.

Or just give all the Imps a T/I because in the hands of a good player it'll mop the floor with any Republic offering.

I think there's a little bit of deliberate balance trailing in having the Interceptor in the teaser survive bouncing off asteroids. I imagine there will be some heavy balancing so a 'post-Endor' interceptor has a shield generator and is functionally identical to an X-Wing, likewise for all the other ships and their direct analogues. I'm sure there will be a litte bit of differentiation but the fighters will be more or less the same.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Eastbound Spider posted:

"The only thing that matters in a starfighter is the pilot inside it" - sůkck MaDilles, 69 bby

This is a 150,000 credit weapons platform and the cheapest component inside of it is you.

piL fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 17, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

heard this announced, thought it was gonna be a new rogue squadron.

nope sounds like a piece of poo poo instead. 5v5 multiplayer? lmfao

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

heard this announced, thought it was gonna be a new rogue squadron.

nope sounds like a piece of poo poo instead. 5v5 multiplayer? lmfao

If this is a pseudo-sim game with a big focus on teamwork then I think 5vs5 makes sense.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Remember that X-Wing vs TIE Fighter advertised a maximum of 8 players, that's 4v4. That's one of the most beloved space dogfight sims ever made. Probably the most beloved multiplayer one. As much as I'd prefer the singleplayer focussed TIE Fighter or X-Wing/X-Wing Alliance, a new X-Wing vs TIE sounds loving great to me.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I don't care about giant battles, it's too hard to tell what's going on and difficult to feel like you're making a difference. Give me a small number of comprehensibly scaled ships, like the backwater frigate you start out from in TIE Fighter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sekenr posted:

If they are indeed going for unshielded TIE fighter and Interceptor, I'm curious how will they implement 5 vs 5 without TIEs being outright worse. I still remember from TIE fighter that your basic tie can withstand exactly 1 shot and the second shot will assplode you.

The thing about star wars is that the lore regarding fighters is fundamentally incompatible with a good, balanced video game unless you're willing to balance by numbers (as in, different numbers of players per team) which is something approximately 0% of developers are willing to touch with a 50' pole outside of "hunter" games like Evolve or Dead by Daylight.

Almost certainly one of three things will happen...

A) The Battlefront 2 method: there is no functional difference between hull and shields, it's just flavor. TIEs will just have a big pool of hull points, rebel fighters will have hull + shields that work out to about the same total hit points. Hull and shields both regenerate/repair as if they were the same thing.

B) They will just give TIEs shields anyway. Almost certainly TIEs will have will have missiles/torpedoes even though lore says the shouldn't (at least for standard ties/interceptors), so why not extend that to shields if you're already breaking lore. Possibly instead they'll just come up with some very stretched alternative technobabble for why they have shields that totally aren't shields.

C) The Battlefront 1 method: neither side will really have "shields" as a pool of hit points. Shields will be a special ability for rebel fighters that confer temporary protection or other benefit when activated.

Basically, according to lore TIE fighters are lovely and rebel fighters are not. In lore rebel fighters have shields, astromechs, missiles/torpedoes, and hyperdrives. Also in lore, TIEs have zero of those things except for bombers which at least get the munitions.This kind of extreme discrepancy is not compatible with a good video game, at least for multiplayer, so the lore will give. It always has (and that's fine).

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 17, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

5v5 totally means there's a sidebet somewhere in EA on trying to make ESPORTS happen with this one.

e: the lore is also kinda wrong because if you go by the films then unless you are a hero unit x-wings and tie-fighters are presented as being basically equivalent.

In fact in A New Hope the rebel comms are distorted and the Imperial comms are clear in order to try to convey the sense that the imperial kit is better

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 17, 2020

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The worst thing that happend to star wars was *lore*

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chomp8645 posted:

The thing about star wars is that the lore regarding fighters is fundamentally incompatible with a good, balanced video game unless you're willing to balance by numbers (as in, different numbers of players per team) which is something approximately 0% of developers are willing to touch with a 50' pole outside of "hunter" games like Evolve or Dead by Daylight.

A) The Battlefront 2 method: there is no functional difference between hull and shields, it's just flavor. TIEs will just have a big pool of hull points, rebel fighters will have hull + shields that work out to about the same total hit points. Hull and shields both regenerate/repair as if they were the same thing.

B) They will just give TIEs shields anyway. Almost certainly TIEs will have will have missiles/torpedoes even though lore says the shouldn't (at least for standard ties/interceptors), so why not extend that to shields if you're already breaking lore. Possibly instead they'll just come up with some very stretched alternative technobabble for why they have shields that totally aren't shields.

C) The Battlefront 1 method: neither side will really have "shields" as a pool of hit points. Shields will be a special ability for rebel fighters that confer temporary protection or other benefit when activated.

Basically, according to lore TIE fighters are lovely and rebel fighters are not. In lore rebel fighters have shields, astromechs, missiles/torpedoes, and hyperdrives. Also in lore, TIEs have zero of those things except for bombers which at least get the munitions.This kind of extreme discrepancy is not compatible with a good video game, at least for multiplayer, so the lore will give. It always has (and that's fine).

Lore aside, in the original tie fighter game the basic tie fighters had missiles. They also managed to balance ships with shields vs ships without already 25 years ago in xvt, so it certainly can be done if they really want to.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i do hope that they go for asymmetrical matchups cause i think thats more interesting overall rather than xwing has 15% more health while tie fighter turns 10% faster or something like that. They can even give the imperial side like 3x as many AI ships to really drive home how its numbers vs quality or whatever

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It would be wild if they go the Counter-Strike route and have each side use distinctly different ships. I would be fine with just making them similar but flavoring them differently, though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You know what I don't give a poo poo about the multiplayer. If it's fun or balanced aomehwta I'll put a few hours in it.

If the game has a good 8+ hour campaign all in vr, it's worth $40 to me for that alone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ties have never really been lovely. They're fast, well armed and there's lots of them. They tend to go for par with rebel fighters in all the movies. Them being crappy fighters was a creation of the books.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Yes but I can lock and unlock my s-foils

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

I hope none of these things are true because all of these ideas negate the whole point of pip management, which was confirmed?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ties have never really been lovely. They're fast, well armed and there's lots of them.

They're fast... I guess, although they aren't really shown being identifiable faster than rebel fighters in the movies (if "look at the movies" is your argument). But I'm kinda scratching my head at the other two.

Well armed? In non-video game lore TIE fighters and interceptors have two or four lasers, so the same as their rebel counterparts. But they have no missiles or torpedoes, which all rebel fighters do. So unless we imagine based on nothing that their lasers are better than rebel lasers in some way, they are less armed. The bombers have more weapons, of course they do, but nothing really implies they are more or less armed than Y-wings.

And "lots of them" does not make them less lovely. In fact it implies the opposite, that they have to compensate for lower quality by fielding greater numbers.

Maybe saying "they are lovely" is a lot but imo just a basic assessment of "these are the features of the ships" strongly implies that rebel fighters are generally better on a 1-1 basis. I don't see how you can compare "X-wing has lasers, torpedoes, shields, and hyperdrive" to "TIE has lasers... and supposedly is a little faster" and think they are equivalent. That's why games always have to give TIE a bunch of extra stuff if you are expected to actually play as them. Or in the case of the actual "TIE Fighter" game, make it the lovely starter ship you fly for your early missions before you get to use the cool ships.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Sombrerotron posted:

I will boom and zoom T/Is with my A-Wing any day of the week my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's actually kinda cool if they have asymmetry built into the Rebel/Imperial ships which seems feasible with only 4 ship types. It would make the two sides play very differently but can still be balanced if they do it right.