Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

Wait wait, Saga specifically? I mean the rest of the series is perfectly suited but this should be something.

All three Sega Saturn-released Panzer Dragoons games, including Saga specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Pistol Whip or Superhot VR? I'm sure I'll end up getting both eventually but which would people recommend as my first meaty Quest game? (Have picked up Tetris Effect, which I already love)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

Pistol Whip or Superhot VR? I'm sure I'll end up getting both eventually but which would people recommend as my first meaty Quest game? (Have picked up Tetris Effect, which I already love)

Superhot VR first probably unless you're very much into rhythm games.
Both own though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, I was pretty excited for Panther VR until I saw that it's Early Access and it has no content at all.
I guess I'll try to remember to check it out in like two years.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But who could've loving guessed Panzer Dragoon Saga in VR?! :suspense:

It's been in the back of my mind ever since Crimson Dragon was in development and "AR" meant "Kinect and PS Eye". It always seemed like a when not if situation to me.

"Crowdfunding in 2020" doesn't fill me with confidence, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Vacation Simulator's getting an expansion in Fall 2020: Back to [JOB]

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I realize that the Index is like 200 weeks out for shipping but from what I can tell it really is the best of the best for VR.

The question I have though (which I guess who can really say) is there anything better coming out in the near future?

I know that the Quest is the cheapest point of entry but I just don't know...

Well gently caress I just wrote all that and now I'm leaning towards the Quest since I can actually get it now and it is a lot cheaper.

Why is VR so hard?!

Really I want to use the headset for flight sims (elite and MS flight sim).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The real answer is to buy both.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MarcusSA posted:

So I realize that the Index is like 200 weeks out for shipping but from what I can tell it really is the best of the best for VR.

The question I have though (which I guess who can really say) is there anything better coming out in the near future?

Well gently caress I just wrote all that and now I'm leaning towards the Quest since I can actually get it now and it is a lot cheaper.

Why is VR so hard?!

I'm gonna have to muddy the waters and say you might want to hold onto your money for the HP Reverb G2 if you're looking to use it for flight sims.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If you're looking at it for flight sims, but also want to try room scale, I'd really look at the Rift S (or maybe Reverb when it comes out).

The reduced screen door effect compared to the Quest can really make the difference in being able to actually read cockpit displays and whatnot.

Plus like while the Index is great and all being forced to use Lighthouses can be a real pain in the rear end depending on how much space you have in your home and/or if you've got a live-in partner or roommate, how understanding they are if you take over an entire room for VR. Inside out tracking lets you easily do VR in more than one room. Like I use my Rift S for Elite Dangerous but if my roommate is out and I want to play some H3VR I can just move everything to the living room and not have to like, remount lighthouses somehow.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MarcusSA posted:

Is MS Flight Simulator going to have VR support? I thought it wasn't

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

hhhat posted:

I feel like I'm leaning toward good visual resolution over no cable. Am I a dumbass? This seems like such a complicated decision - on top of having to upgrade my PC anyway, I have to go extra hard and worry about my glasses and a cable hanging around my back and all this other crap. I'm definately at the early research phase of this, glad there's a thread.

Unless you wander out and buy some phone holder at walmart for 10 bucks, whatever headset you get you'll be blown away and enjoy it. Everything at this point is pretty good, and its harder to go wrong.

Biggest reason Quest gets recommended so much is because the PC experience, is still better than the visuals of the launch headsets from a few years ago, but you can also use it on the go outside of your computer chamber. If you ever want to, for example, being portable you can take it to thanksgiving or a friends house or what have you and get a kick out of your friends and family flailing around in VR while everyone laughs. If you want to show people PC VR, wired setups are always more like being a serial killer leading your friends to your dungeon to strap on all this gear.

Again though, anything you'll buy at this point you'll enjoy and will work well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm gonna have to muddy the waters and say you might want to hold onto your money for the HP Reverb G2 if you're looking to use it for flight sims.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If you're looking at it for flight sims, but also want to try room scale, I'd really look at the Rift S (or maybe Reverb when it comes out).

The reduced screen door effect compared to the Quest can really make the difference in being able to actually read cockpit displays and whatnot.

Plus like while the Index is great and all being forced to use Lighthouses can be a real pain in the rear end depending on how much space you have in your home and/or if you've got a live-in partner or roommate, how understanding they are if you take over an entire room for VR. Inside out tracking lets you easily do VR in more than one room. Like I use my Rift S for Elite Dangerous but if my roommate is out and I want to play some H3VR I can just move everything to the living room and not have to like, remount lighthouses somehow.

Ok thanks for both of these replies. I initially thought the S was more expensive but I guess it’s the same price as the quest and since I don’t need it to be portable it seems like the S is the better option.

I’m gonna do some research on the Reverb though but I’ll assume we don’t know when that’s gonna come out?

Foo Diddley posted:

Last thing I read was they are working really hard to have it in at launch if not in the near future.

I was planning on playing MS Flight sim X in the meantime though.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MarcusSA posted:

Last thing I read was they are working really hard to have it in at launch if not in the near future.

I was planning on playing MS Flight sim X in the meantime though.

Oh cool. I wasn't interested in it until now; once you've played sims in VR it's hard to go back

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MarcusSA posted:

Why is VR so hard?!

I'll note that the current MS Flight Sim does not have VR support, and the new one won't have it on launch, though they've said they'll add it later (who knows when). For switch-flipping civilian flight sims, you'll have to go with X-Plane for now, and it runs like garbage (though I haven't tried the beta and its new renderer).

HP has a new headset coming out this year that on paper sounds like it will be fantastic for flight sims, but we won't know for sure until it launches. Might be worth waiting for it. Or if you need something now, get a Quest, and it should have decent resale value if the HP ends up being better for your flight sim needs and you don't care about the Quest library.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh cool. I wasn't interested in it until now; once you've played sims in VR it's hard to go back

Yeah hopefully it does make it in at launch because the game looks gorgeous.

Only other question is how the hell do you find one of these drat things?? They are sold out everywhere.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah hopefully it does make it in at launch because the game looks gorgeous.

Only other question is how the hell do you find one of these drat things?? They are sold out everywhere.

Idk, man. I ordered my Index back in April when my OG Rift's cable crapped out, and Steam still says I have 8+ weeks to wait. At least it shows there's a demand for VR, I guess

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah as I recall it wasn't going to, then they were "shocked" that the number 1 requested feature and complaint they were hearing from everyone was VR support so they said they were going to work on making sure it was in.

Who knows if it will be at launch or anything, they haven't really said anything since.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

racing sims are actually scary at times. i never thought that that sense of speed was possible in videogames.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I can't wait until The Sims comes to VR. That'll be how they announce 5, it'll be Sims V-R

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Inacio posted:

racing sims are actually scary at times. i never thought that that sense of speed was possible in videogames.

Lots of stuff is scary in VR, but simulations have the added feature of making you think "Holy poo poo, people have done this for real." And they didn't get to take a break when things got too intense

Leal posted:

I can't wait until The Sims comes to VR. That'll be how they announce 5, it'll be Sims V-R

I actually got the Sims 3 to run in VR, not with Vorpx but with some kind of stereoscopic shader thing that I don't remember what it was called. It was pretty neat but I couldn't read much of the UI

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

What’s a good racing/car game for VR? My level of car simulation experience is roughly “Forza Motorsport with a controller” but I’m interested in trying driving out.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Luneshot posted:

What’s a good racing/car game for VR? My level of car simulation experience is roughly “Forza Motorsport with a controller” but I’m interested in trying driving out.

project cars 2 for simcade, assetto corsa for simulation, iracing for "assetto corsa but actually simulation"

have only tried pc2, but am planning to try assetto corsa's vr mode soon (been having enough fun with 2D :v)

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Dirt Rally 2 is fun with a controller and sometimes scary as poo poo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Can anyone explain what is remastering the game Vertigo Remastered? It looked interesting in the trailer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1318090/Vertigo_Remastered/

It seems something that was released in 2016?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

It was pretty neat but I couldn't read much of the UI

Thats just Sims 3 :haw:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj0FKs7l8sA

This game NEEDS a VR version.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Payday 2 is awesome in VR, it turns out.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The real answer is to buy both.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

i must compose posted:

Dirt Rally 2 is fun with a controller and sometimes scary as poo poo
I ended up returning Dirt Rally 2 as my ancient Logitech Force Feedback wheel wasn't properly supported ( good luck getting a cheap wheel at the moment ).

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ZombyDog posted:

I ended up returning Dirt Rally 2 as my ancient Logitech Force Feedback wheel wasn't properly supported ( good luck getting a cheap wheel at the moment ).

Oh drat, I've been thinking about picking that up for a while because I really enjoyed Dirt Rally with my old rear end Logitech Driving Force GT. Is that what you're using?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Demo for Paper Beast
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1232570/Paper_Beast/

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ugh I want this on Quest so badly.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Tip posted:

Oh drat, I've been thinking about picking that up for a while because I really enjoyed Dirt Rally with my old rear end Logitech Driving Force GT. Is that what you're using?

I have that and it works with it. I just never use it cause I play in my living room and have a short rear end coffee table to put it on. Woe is me.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Inacio posted:

project cars 2 for simcade, assetto corsa for simulation, iracing for "assetto corsa but actually simulation"

have only tried pc2, but am planning to try assetto corsa's vr mode soon (been having enough fun with 2D :v)

Assetto Corsa in VR is my favorite. The vehicles are really detailed, if you have the space, you can walk around them.

PC2 vr has steeper requirements to get it smooth. Only the forward portion of the cars are truly rendered with detail. And personally have a hard time getting the FFB to feel right in my G27. The weather was neat until Sol blew that benefit away.

Dirt Rally (I only have 1st) is pretty great in VR. Same forward only rendering like PC2. Controls work great and makes me want to get a hand brake control.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Gort posted:

I've had good results with Virtual Desktop as a replacement for the Link.

Was super laggy for me. Gonna have to refine the setup.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Finally managed to bag a Rift S, haven't quite worked out all the controls yet though. If a regular game has stereoscopic 3D built in, what's the easiest way to get that working in VR? I assume it'll just be a virtual screen that displays the game in 3D, but that's fine.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Unless you wander out and buy some phone holder at walmart for 10 bucks, whatever headset you get you'll be blown away and enjoy it. Everything at this point is pretty good, and its harder to go wrong.

Biggest reason Quest gets recommended so much is because the PC experience, is still better than the visuals of the launch headsets from a few years ago, but you can also use it on the go outside of your computer chamber. If you ever want to, for example, being portable you can take it to thanksgiving or a friends house or what have you and get a kick out of your friends and family flailing around in VR while everyone laughs. If you want to show people PC VR, wired setups are always more like being a serial killer leading your friends to your dungeon to strap on all this gear.

Again though, anything you'll buy at this point you'll enjoy and will work well.

Thanks for these words. You're super helpful.

My setup is computer desk near an open area that i could reach with a 6m cable so maybe i do that, since what I feel like I'm going to likely be doing is mostly standing still or sitting still. which makes me feel like i should be looking at Rift S.

And a computer upgrade...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can someone hold my little baby hands through a device recommendation? I read the OP but know very little about VR overall. I've never used it, personally.

Here's what I have:

1) About $1,000 to spend but that's the limit, including any extras.

2) A perfectly decent PC that plays modern game without issue.

3) One space that is about 8' x 8' or a larger space that is away from the PC.

4) I don't suffer from any form of motion sickness. However, my partner can't even be in a car for very long. They've said they're okay not doing VR but I'd like to include them if possible.

5) I have a giant block head. To the point that all headsets have to be maxed out and even then it's a bit tight

6) I mostly want to play games like Alyx, Boneworks and Skyrim

7) I hate Facebook so goddamn much, I cannot put it into words

Any help is highly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

Can someone hold my little baby hands through a device recommendation? I read the OP but know very little about VR overall. I've never used it, personally.

Here's what I have:

1) About $1,000 to spend but that's the limit, including any extras.

2) A perfectly decent PC that plays modern game without issue.

3) One space that is about 8' x 8' or a larger space that is away from the PC.

4) I don't suffer from any form of motion sickness. However, my partner can't even be in a car for very long. They've said they're okay not doing VR but I'd like to include them if possible.

5) I have a giant block head. To the point that all headsets have to be maxed out and even then it's a bit tight

6) I mostly want to play games like Alyx, Boneworks and Skyrim

7) I hate Facebook so goddamn much, I cannot put it into words

Any help is highly appreciated.

You're looking at getting in line to wait for an Index, or hunting up a Vive Pro Starter Edition (roughly $1,100USD, and Amazon has one left at a quick glance to see how hard they are to get now). I'd lean to the latter if your interpupilary distance is broader than 70mm (you can measure it with a ruler in a mirror). The upcoming Reverb G2 might work, but its IPD range is only 60-68mm, which is why I'd go with the Vive Pro if your IPD's broader than that.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 17, 2020