Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

hhhat posted:

this makes sense and I kinda get the concept now... so like, there's games where you walk forward and back purposefully to do something? How do you holodeck in real life? Does the game world occasionally scroll or what

The mind boggles

ok so I found an indication that the index comes with a 6m cable so it seems like the computer in one location and headset in another isn't a huge problem. Now I'm wondering how you set up that jazz so the cable doesn't catch you, and then I'm remembering the local VR bars have cables hanging from the ceiling.

Feels like some potentially complicated planning to get a situation where you can desktop computer for one thing, and swing arms around nearby for another thing, but not impossible, but maybe potentially difficult to make it not look like a sex dungeon

not that theres anything wrong with that

also, new orders ship in 8 or more weeks?

That's another ding against this thing. Oculus Rift S really that much worse?

If you really want to play away from your computer, there is also a way if you have a good router to link the quest to your PC wirelessly. You have to buy a program called virtual desktop but it lets you play pcvr games on the quest wirelessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Immersiveness varies. Personally I can't understand that yelling on a virtual rollercoaster, but alas.

However, in the heat of the moment, while ducking behind barrels, trying to lean over a low wall to reach, pick up and lob back a grenade in Alyx didn't work out so well. At least when trying to prop myself up on it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Playing Echo VR I've smacked the ceiling of my room multiple times reaching for a high pass.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Sun Try posted:

playing Superhot VR or Pistol Whip without cables getting in the way is worth the worse screen imo

Yeah this. I have a Vive Pro and a Quest and everybody who asks me for a recommendation for a first set I tell them the Quest. If you have to ask, it’s the Quest. People who are candidates for the Index or Reverb already know it.

ephori fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 15, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

It's worth pointing out too that immersiveness isn't necessarily linked to fidelity either - plenty of people have broken things or themselves using a Quest.

[Insert video of Richie's Plank Experience]

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VD new beta update

quote:

• Added hand tracking (best with desktop streaming)
• Added universal menu support
• Improved VR streaming compatibility with laptops, multi-GPU and external GPU configurations
• Improved haptics to more closely match intensity and duration on Rift
• Made it easier to double-click with hands and controllers
• Fixed audio crackling on some systems
• Fixed game compatibility with: Premium Bowling, Smashbox Arena

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

hhhat posted:

this makes sense and I kinda get the concept now... so like, there's games where you walk forward and back purposefully to do something? How do you holodeck in real life? Does the game world occasionally scroll or what

The mind boggles

Yes, that's the whole point of VR. You can walk around. Obviously you are limited by your real life space. The world occasionally scroll indeed, usually by a player input called 'thumbstick'.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

If you really want to play away from your computer, there is also a way if you have a good router to link the quest to your PC wirelessly. You have to buy a program called virtual desktop but it lets you play pcvr games on the quest wirelessly.

I don't know that I do, honestly.

I'm here cause star war game, but people are like 'no rly you should do the arm swingy thing' and im thinking, if i invest in this thing, maybe i should give myself the option.

There seems to be lots of varying opinions on this, probaly since people do different things with it. I've never played a vr game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

hhhat posted:

I don't know that I do, honestly.

I'm here cause star war game, but people are like 'no rly you should do the arm swingy thing' and im thinking, if i invest in this thing, maybe i should give myself the option.

There seems to be lots of varying opinions on this, probaly since people do different things with it. I've never played a vr game.

Watch some youtube videos. Don't get it for just one single space game that you don't know will be any good. If you're into flight sims/space sims generally like Elite Dangerous or War Thunder then go for it. If you're at all interested in playing games like Half Life Alyx, you need at least a little bit of space.

Try to get a video that shows the whole setup. Check this channel out, they have a lot of videos on VR stuff that shows them moving about and stuff, but do also keep in mind that they're at the very top end of the market in both hardware and space.

To be honest, if you're only interested in playing Star Wars in VR, PC VR might be too much of a hassle and overkill. Maybe consider PSVR?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hhhat posted:

The mind boggles

ok so I found an indication that the index comes with a 6m cable so it seems like the computer in one location and headset in another isn't a huge problem. Now I'm wondering how you set up that jazz so the cable doesn't catch you, and then I'm remembering the local VR bars have cables hanging from the ceiling.

Feels like some potentially complicated planning to get a situation where you can desktop computer for one thing, and swing arms around nearby for another thing, but not impossible, but maybe potentially difficult to make it not look like a sex dungeon

not that theres anything wrong with that

also, new orders ship in 8 or more weeks?

That's another ding against this thing. Oculus Rift S really that much worse?

Typically, you can move a certain distance around a fixed point in the game world, and if the game wants you to travel larger distances then the fixed point gets moved in some way - either by the game moving it automatically or by you indicating with the controller where you want it to be moved to.

For example, in Superhot VR, the game will automatically warp you from one enemy encounter to the next, but during a given encounter you might want to take a couple of steps to the side to duck behind that barrel or grab that gun that landed just out of reach. But you often have to turn one way or another to handle the encounters and the game doesn't try to preserve your real-world orientation, so it's easy to get twisted around and lose track of your actual position relative to your playspace. You end up having to spend actual mental effort to keep track of where you are or to check your position every now and then, which is kind of unpleasant, and I can see how having a wire to manage would add to that.

Having had a Quest for a little while, I've found that there aren't really a lot of low-movement games on the Quest side of things, and the ones that are tend to be pretty noticeably limited compared to their PC versions. Most sit-down experiences, like flight sims and racing games and stuff, seem to be PC-only. Since I barely have the space to swing my arms around right now, I've had a hard time getting much out of it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
We recently got a Quest for free thanks to my partner's work. It's a really cool device, but I'm tempted to build a new gaming PC to be able to run SteamVR games as the library on the Quest is missing the big hitters. How bad is this video compression people keep mentioning? Am I setting up for disappointment?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

We recently got a Quest for free thanks to my partner's work. It's a really cool device, but I'm tempted to build a new gaming PC to be able to run SteamVR games as the library on the Quest is missing the big hitters. How bad is this video compression people keep mentioning? Am I setting up for disappointment?

It's not amazing, but it's fine. I have a Rift S, but I never use it because if I'm doing any PCVR stuff I just use my quest for it, the difference in quality is not worth the hassle of managing multiple headsets for me. If you don't like it you can always upgrade, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

sethsez posted:

So here's where VR is right now:

All relevant headsets support full hand tracking and head movement.

Wait a minute, when did the Rift S get hand tracking?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Luneshot posted:

Wait a minute, when did the Rift S get hand tracking?

As in tracked controllers.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Hopefully it has HOTAS support

X-Wing VR is probably developed on the "battlefield" Frostbite 2/3/4 platform/engine

Frostbite can result in a very nice looking, curated game. It's probably just a re-skin of the fighter jet dogfight mode from Battlefield 3/4/1/5 (yes that's the correct order!)

The downside is that EA has a really poo poo record of releasing playable games on launch day, especially games with a preorder bonus or whatever, and then dropping multiplayer support early moving on to the next game three weeks after launch. I should know, I basically talked 3500 goons into buying BF3/4 to play it with me. Fortunately for me/dice, there was so much pent up demand for a new battlefield + bf3 was truly next-gen tech at the time they were able to get away with a bunch of bugs. That was, uh, 9 years ago. The rate of bugs in new frostbite-based games has not slowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7GbZVG9PK8&t=33s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E9HXYKUHIY&t=16s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

X-Wing VR is probably developed on the "battlefield" Frostbite 2/3/4 platform/engine

Frostbite can result in a very nice looking, curated game. It's probably just a re-skin of the fighter jet dogfight mode from Battlefield 3/4/1/5 (yes that's the correct order!)

The downside is that EA has a really poo poo record of releasing playable games on launch day, especially games with a preorder bonus or whatever, and then dropping multiplayer support early moving on to the next game three weeks after launch. I should know, I basically talked 3500 goons into buying BF3/4 to play it with me. Fortunately for me/dice, there was so much pent up demand for a new battlefield + bf3 was truly next-gen tech at the time they were able to get away with a bunch of bugs. That was, uh, 9 years ago. The rate of bugs in new frostbite-based games has not slowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7GbZVG9PK8&t=33s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E9HXYKUHIY&t=16s

It's absolutely gonna be Frostbite. EA's had a mandate for all their studios to use it for cross-compatibility for a while now. Even if the engine has to be bent over backwards with custom code to work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, wait

https://help.ea.com/en/help/star-wars-squadrons/star-wars-squadrons/pre-order-star-wars-squadrons/

quote:

Star Wars: Squadrons has controller, joystick, and hands on throttle-and-stick (HOTAS) support. We’ll have more details on supported sticks as we get closer to launch.

I don't trust them though. They have a decade-long reputation of not shipping things promised at the announcement, to get max preorders, and then hacking together some garbage a year after release that works just well enough to avoid a class action lawsuit. Conveniently a week before they announce the sequel.

Also, there's a dedicated thread here, apparently:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927843

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even if the engine has to be bent over backwards with custom code to work.

Very likely the reason for all the lovely bugs present at launch, and persist through the first 3-6 months. I haven't played an EA game in at least a decade where they managed to iron out the worst bugs before most of the online playerbase tapers to nothing

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's absolutely gonna be Frostbite. EA's had a mandate for all their studios to use it for cross-compatibility for a while now. Even if the engine has to be bent over backwards with custom code to work.

This gets brought up a lot of time but as Bioware's demise has taught us: this isn't true

They offer benefits for using it and support that you won't get but it's up to the dev studio to utilize it. Respawn is perfectly content in not using Frostbite.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Having completed Alyx, I'm looking for another long adventure game to play on the Quest. What do people think of Stormland, Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath?

(also is there a way to buy them for less than $40 each, that's a bit steep)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh boy, an EA game. I cant wait to have a barebones game on launch with minor content drips over the next 2 years followed by a cancellation of support immediately after a game destroying balance patch that everyone hates.

Dont buy EA games on launch. Or after launch in most cases.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

Having completed Alyx, I'm looking for another long adventure game to play on the Quest. What do people think of Stormland, Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath?

(also is there a way to buy them for less than $40 each, that's a bit steep)

Lone Echo > Stormland > Asgard's Wrath

Lone Echo is good. Although it's also a limited game, in a sense, it's just a adventure/walking simulator game with a few areas where the player avoid environmental dangers. But what it does, it does it well: The characters are very well written and are well acted, the plot is interesting, the setting feels realistic. The graphics are very good. The controls feel intuitive and grabbing stuff to move around in zero gravity is one of the most immersive movement systems ever done.

Stormland is a fun action game, with great movement scheme gliding, sprinting, jumping and climbing around, and interesting player upgrades. Graphics are also very nice. It fails somewhat in the later stages of the game, where it feels only half baked, once you reach a point it gets repetitive, you have the feeling the game needs more enemy types, more island types, random loot, or something like that. And it also kind of forgets to advance the story.

Asgard's Wrath is an attempt to make a fully fledged RPG for VR, with a good amount of content, but the combat never feels good, the puzzles and sidequests are repetitive, part of the content is very 'filler-like', and it's surprisingly bad in areas like story, characters and setting, that for a RPG it's pretty crucial for me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Great Beer posted:

Oh boy, an EA game. I cant wait to have a barebones game on launch with minor content drips over the next 2 years followed by a cancellation of support immediately after a game destroying balance patch that everyone hates.

Dont buy EA games on launch. Or after launch in most cases.

Sadly this is a fairly objective view on EA games

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HTC's making an "XR Suite Bundle" for remote productivity, comprised of five fairly random VR apps thrown together that might vaguely be useful for remote work but not really.

The fun one is that Vive Social looks to be either built on VRChat or just actually VRChat with a skin over it, which should probably turn out just as well as Second Life did for professional work in the 00's.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So after getting our Quest all I can say is that VR is pretty drat cool. I've been trying out classics (Quake, DOOM, Half Life) in VR and it's damned cool to suddenly be "inside" the games of my childhood. Also been playinga Rec Room a lot. Painball is fun. Been meaning to get Link working (very laggy atm), but I guess I have to take the time and find the right settings and so on.
The wife is loving it and we bought Beat Saber for her, which she's playing a ton.

All in all, good times.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MrOnBicycle posted:

So after getting our Quest all I can say is that VR is pretty drat cool. I've been trying out classics (Quake, DOOM, Half Life) in VR and it's damned cool to suddenly be "inside" the games of my childhood. Also been playinga Rec Room a lot. Painball is fun. Been meaning to get Link working (very laggy atm), but I guess I have to take the time and find the right settings and so on.
The wife is loving it and we bought Beat Saber for her, which she's playing a ton.

All in all, good times.

I've had good results with Virtual Desktop as a replacement for the Link.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Installing the Oculus Tray Tool and messing around with the settings really helped me with the quality of Link.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Gort posted:

I've had good results with Virtual Desktop as a replacement for the Link.

I'm really looking forward to loving around with both of these options. I'm already getting myself hype about dipping back into Elite Dangerous. I've wanted to try that in VR basically since it first launched.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

something to remember with new Star Wars too is that EA got absolutely BODIED by Disney over Battlefront 2. That's why the recent Jedi game was unpolished, but legitimately a decent souls-like from a developer that hasn't had their choke chain tied off yet. They even led the marketing with "no microtransactions", which is an easy lay up because the game wasn't designed around monetizing skins and poo poo.

so I expect this VR dog fighting game to offer the poo poo like HOTAS support and other poo poo at launch, but it will probably just be a buggy game until a few whips are cracked. EA gonna be looking over their shoulder to make sure they aren't pissing off Disney the whole time

that being said they can monetize the living gently caress or of X-Wing cosmetics though. We're gonna see cockpit bobbleheads. Unlockable Han Solo... dice! From the movies! Livery and logos. Pay a little for a fuel injector, whose only purpose is to change the jet exhaust colour.... don't forget your astromech dude! And while we're at it lets just let you customise your helmet and gloves designs, too

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Talking about Squadrons reminds me I still have my Saitek X52 in a drawer somewhere. If my Index arrives before the universe burns down I need to try all this poo poo together at once.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Wheezle posted:

As in tracked controllers.

Just to clarify for anybody reading along:

Both: all tracking done on headsets (no lighthouses/external sensors needed)

Rift S: tracks hand held controllers,

Quest: tracks hand held controllers, tracks hands (as in your fingers, not requiring any controllers*)

* This is mostly just the menus, inbuilt web/media apps - very little game support at the moment but should grow over time.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Watch some youtube videos. Don't get it for just one single space game that you don't know will be any good. If you're into flight sims/space sims generally like Elite Dangerous or War Thunder then go for it. If you're at all interested in playing games like Half Life Alyx, you need at least a little bit of space.

Try to get a video that shows the whole setup. Check this channel out, they have a lot of videos on VR stuff that shows them moving about and stuff, but do also keep in mind that they're at the very top end of the market in both hardware and space.

To be honest, if you're only interested in playing Star Wars in VR, PC VR might be too much of a hassle and overkill. Maybe consider PSVR?

Nah if I'm going to spend the bucks for it and there's legit great stuff I could be playing in VR then it could be for more than just X wings and Half Lifes. That would make me feel better about the cash up front. Thanks for the link I'm checking it out

Tom Guycot posted:

I feel like I'm leaning toward good visual resolution over no cable. Am I a dumbass? This seems like such a complicated decision - on top of having to upgrade my PC anyway, I have to go extra hard and worry about my glasses and a cable hanging around my back and all this other crap. I'm definately at the early research phase of this, glad there's a thread.

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically, you can move a certain distance around a fixed point in the game world, and if the game wants you to travel larger distances then the fixed point gets moved in some way - either by the game moving it automatically or by you indicating with the controller where you want it to be moved to.

For example, in Superhot VR, the game will automatically warp you from one enemy encounter to the next, but during a given encounter you might want to take a couple of steps to the side to duck behind that barrel or grab that gun that landed just out of reach. But you often have to turn one way or another to handle the encounters and the game doesn't try to preserve your real-world orientation, so it's easy to get twisted around and lose track of your actual position relative to your playspace. You end up having to spend actual mental effort to keep track of where you are or to check your position every now and then, which is kind of unpleasant, and I can see how having a wire to manage would add to that.

Having had a Quest for a little while, I've found that there aren't really a lot of low-movement games on the Quest side of things, and the ones that are tend to be pretty noticeably limited compared to their PC versions. Most sit-down experiences, like flight sims and racing games and stuff, seem to be PC-only. Since I barely have the space to swing my arms around right now, I've had a hard time getting much out of it.

I feel like I'd be way more at ease playing games that don't make me walk around even in a small space, cause in the back of my head I'll always be like AM I NEAR MY TV or whatever. Spaceship flying seems drat near ideal.

I had no idea Alyx was a 'walk aroundy' type of game. All the things I've seen make it appear as though you're standing still with your strange disembodied hands floating around doing puzzles

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Pierson posted:

Talking about Squadrons reminds me I still have my Saitek X52 in a drawer somewhere. If my Index arrives before the universe burns down I need to try all this poo poo together at once.

When did you order it and when do you expect to get it?

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
I got into VR about 2 years ago with a Vive, like you expecting it to be far better for cockpit games. Since then I've upgraded to a rift s and am a huge VR nerd now. There's so much poo poo in VR that you don't really get until you experience it. Superhot, beat saber, pistol whip, compound and many more are all amazing experiences and great games. Rift s is great and can highly recommend.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

hhhat posted:

Nah if I'm going to spend the bucks for it and there's legit great stuff I could be playing in VR then it could be for more than just X wings and Half Lifes. That would make me feel better about the cash up front. Thanks for the link I'm checking it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgHagFCbr_Q

vtol vr is cool and might interest you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hhhat posted:

I feel like I'm leaning toward good visual resolution over no cable. Am I a dumbass? This seems like such a complicated decision - on top of having to upgrade my PC anyway, I have to go extra hard and worry about my glasses and a cable hanging around my back and all this other crap. I'm definately at the early research phase of this, glad there's a thread.

IMO, the big selling point of the Quest is that it's a solid way to figure out what matters to you in VR (or even whether you actually like VR to begin with) so that you have a better idea of what to focus on going forward. It's not exactly cheap, but it's relatively affordable compared to the cost of a gaming PC or an Index, while still having a decent level of quality. VR gaming relies heavily on intangible parts of the experience that are really hard to quantify, so it's really difficult to get a solid idea of what it's like and what you prefer when you have no experience with it. There's really no substitute for trying it out yourself, and the Quest has positioned itself well as a gateway device to get people into VR.

I can't compare it to the Rift because I've never used one, but I'm perfectly happy with the Quest's resolution. I've only done a little PCVR, but it looks just fine in Elite - at least, for the short period I was able to play before feeling the motion sickness start to come on.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VR E3 stream in 40 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z9Zp9wzha0

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Republique VR mode included for free
https://store.steampowered.com/app/317100/Republique/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your math's a wee bit off; It's starting now! :supaburn:

edit: It's just the preshow.

But who could've loving guessed Panzer Dragoon Saga in VR?! :suspense:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 16, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is this stream just lovely or does it look like most of the game footage has been captured on a potato? Lots of low framerate and/or low detail shots I wouldn't expect to see in teasers/trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But who could've loving guessed Panzer Dragoon Saga in VR?! :suspense:

Wait wait, Saga specifically? I mean the rest of the series is perfectly suited but this should be something.