Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-2001-toyota-4runner/7142216595.html

Is this a good deal? $3,500, 2001 4Runner with some issues I wouldn't know are worth the trouble. I have a 5th gen but my wife doesn't want to mod it significantly and I'd like something I could crash into a rock without tears resulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The issues sound pretty simple, but it's listed at a little over double KBB and has 349k miles, so no, not a good deal.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

The issues sound pretty simple, but it's listed at a little over double KBB and has 349k miles, so no, not a good deal.

Ah poo poo, thanks. I've never seen a running 4Runner that wasn't rusted to hell below $3k in Colorado, so I guess I'll keep my eye on the Craigslist alerts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A friend of mine is looking for a trailer hitch for his E450 former ambulance turned camper, is that something you need to be careful of brands for or is it just anything that's not WIsh/$50 on Amazon should be fine? He doesn't trust his welding, is that something you can fasten with huge bolts or does it need to be welded on?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Help, I think rats are eating my car. I got a used 2017 Honda Civic EX-T about a month ago and now I'm finding that something has chewed off a considerable chunk on my front left wheel well.

Here's what it looked like a few days after I got it:

It's not a very good picture, but I don't see any damage in the front corner of the wheel well, so unfortunately, this must have happened after I got the car. And here's pictures from a couple hours ago when I just noticed it:

I'm thinking it's an animal because there's no surrounding damage, and this otherwise would seem like I scraped it off a curb or something (I've never done that). What kind of beast would do this?!? A few weeks ago, I noticed a horrid piss smell when I turned on the fans (not with A/C) and I figured it was either mildew or animal urine. I've been meaning to get it cleaned, but slacked on it.

Sorry if this is an obvious question. This whole thing is new to me and I'm still doing research. Figured I'd ask for help from you guys in the meantime.

1. Does this look like rodent damage? Anything I should know before I take it to a auto shop for a diagnosis?
2. Can I expect this to be somehow covered by my (quickly expiring) warranty? (I can provide additional details, if needed)
3. If it is rats, do you have any suggestions (pepper spray, essential oils, etc) to prevent it from getting worse?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

From a google, 2017 is a year where honda used soy-based rodent-tasty wiring. I haven't heard of rodents specifically being attracted to the exterior plastic, but maybe they wanted what was inside? I did see reports of Honda paying for repairs w.r.t. the soy wiring.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 15, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a trailer hitch for his E450 former ambulance turned camper, is that something you need to be careful of brands for or is it just anything that's not WIsh/$50 on Amazon should be fine? He doesn't trust his welding, is that something you can fasten with huge bolts or does it need to be welded on?
Typically trailer hitches are bolted on, either using existing holes or by drilling through the frame. AFAIK welding directly to the frame of a vehicle is generally advised against and requires special techniques to not potentially weaken it. That said being an E450 things might be a bit more complicated, because those don't exactly have a standard rear end configuration and most ambulance bodies I've seen have a shorter rear overhang than a "standard" cutaway/chassiscab would anyways.. Your friend probably won't be able to find a kit specific to his application so he might want to talk to a shop that specializes in towing to see what they have to say.

That said, as far as hitches themselves go the three big brands I'm aware of are Curt, Hidden Hitch, and Reese. Receiver-style hitches aren't exactly rocket science so my way of looking at it would be basically "is this thing a big hunk of metal with a well known name telling me it'll handle what I want it to?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. Apparently he does know a good welder, he has a welder but doesn't trust himself to weld to the frame. He might be towing a car for me (I'm selling my "good" car and buying a second beater for when the first isn't running) shortly here, so I figured the least I can do is try to help him figure it out.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

zundfolge posted:

Google “Volvo lawnmower syndrome” and try some of the solutions people suggest at your discretion/peril. It sounds like a textbook case. Your plugs look old but they’re OK otherwise.

This happened to my 850 a long time ago and it took several sessions of extended cranking to get it to finally catch and fire up.

Thank you! This was it, I cranked it for like 20 seconds with the pedal down and it sounded like it might go (and i could see the tach bounce from 0 to like 100) so I kept at it for another 15 seconds and then it started!

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

taqueso posted:

From a google, 2017 is a year where honda used soy-based rodent-tasty wiring. I haven't heard of rodents specifically being attracted to the exterior plastic, but maybe they wanted what was inside? I did see reports of Honda paying for repairs w.r.t. the soy wiring.

Thanks, you're right. It looks like a majority of owners opted to spray their car with peppermint oil every few weeks to avoid some sort of costly labor/parts replacement. I'm not seeing the same thing as you, though. I've only read a few news articles so far, but it looks like Honda is not willing to pay, class action lawsuits are ruled against the consumer, and insurance will not cover this. Not to mention that all this is about specifically the wires and not the plastic sidewalls of my car (didn't think that I'd buy a car that would accidentally be edible. That's a new way to get scammed by a car salesman. gently caress me I guess :unsmigghh:)

Sheesh. I've been stressing this way and that over various car related issues for the past couple of months, and it's just so tiring. I should sell this and be done with it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

jfc, soy based wiring?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Wire insulation, not the actual wire. I did see that the class action was denied. The article I was reading said Honda paid for that owners repairs but maybe that was before it became a big thing.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Ah ok. I wasn't trying to deny that they didnt pay for repairs ever, just that I couldn't find the same story you mentioned. But it's looking really unlikely that I could get compensated... Thanks again.

And yes, the wiring insulation and possible some other holsters/casing that would normally be made out of plastic. Should have worded that to be more specific.

loving soy car :argh:

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 16, 2020

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Why did they replace the piston, excessive blowby or oil consumption? Excess oil consumption can easily poison the cat and that'll cause a P0420 in a hurry.

E: Jesus Christ I have no idea what decade the post I'm replying to was from. This was for the guy with the p0420 in the 2.4 equinox that's in the shop every 6 months. Whoops :haw:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I have a 2003 5.3l Suburban, just ticked over 150k miles. I put about 2500mi on it per year since I bought it in 2015, mostly for one or two long camping trips. Other than replacing tie rods and a cracked exhaust manifold there have been no problems just routine maintenance (original owner was a family member and had all his service records). No visible leaks but it does seem to eat a quart of oil each year.

I have a trip planned later this year (VA to TX and back) that I want to take this vehicle on. Does it make sense to get the transmission flushed? The last time I have receipts for this being done are 2010, at 75k miles. What should I expect to pay, and what magic words should I use at the shop (flush vs change vs filter replacement) to get the correct service, and what might that cost? Thanks!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Drop pan. Replace filter. Don't flush. Probably around 4-6 qts of fluid.

Who knows, probably 150-200.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are newer (2015 and on) automatic transmissions reliable? I've had an absolutely abysmal record with automatics but manuals are getting so difficult to find used. I'm trying to buy a truck and I don't want to spend more than like 12k so I'm looking at Chevy Colorados but the selection is extremely scarce if I'm limited to manuals.

My expectation for 'reliable' is that with good maintenance I can be reasonably comfortable with the thing hitting 250k without needing a new transmission.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Dolphin posted:

Are newer (2015 and on) automatic transmissions reliable? I've had an absolutely abysmal record with automatics but manuals are getting so difficult to find used. I'm trying to buy a truck and I don't want to spend more than like 12k so I'm looking at Chevy Colorados but the selection is extremely scarce if I'm limited to manuals.

My expectation for 'reliable' is that with good maintenance I can be reasonably comfortable with the thing hitting 250k without needing a new transmission.

No, if its a CVT in anything.

Yes if its in a colorado/ranger.

Absolutely bulletproof if its an aisin box in a tacoma.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, thanks. Apparently he does know a good welder, he has a welder but doesn't trust himself to weld to the frame. He might be towing a car for me (I'm selling my "good" car and buying a second beater for when the first isn't running) shortly here, so I figured the least I can do is try to help him figure it out.
Followup, I did a bit of searching because it's loosely relevant to my own interest in custom RV conversions and found the magic words "service body trailer hitch". They'll be designed for the standard chassis cab framerail width and then get paired with a drop bracket to attach to the frame. Welding will be required to connect the cross beam to the brackets, but it'll be bolted to the truck frame.

Also found a vendor I had forgotten about, Draw-Tite. I see their hitches all over the place so they''re probably decent too.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

egyptian rat race posted:

I have a 2003 5.3l Suburban, just ticked over 150k miles. I put about 2500mi on it per year since I bought it in 2015, mostly for one or two long camping trips. Other than replacing tie rods and a cracked exhaust manifold there have been no problems just routine maintenance (original owner was a family member and had all his service records). No visible leaks but it does seem to eat a quart of oil each year.

I have a trip planned later this year (VA to TX and back) that I want to take this vehicle on. Does it make sense to get the transmission flushed? The last time I have receipts for this being done are 2010, at 75k miles. What should I expect to pay, and what magic words should I use at the shop (flush vs change vs filter replacement) to get the correct service, and what might that cost? Thanks!

Your OK to flush that since its been done before - provided they are just using the machine that attaches to transmission cooler lines and lets the transmission pump do the work. Don’t use a power flush that forces fluid through it.

Dropping the pan and doing a partial fluid exchange would work as well.

I would put maxlife dex/merc back into that, but any high quality dexron VI should be ok.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

taqueso posted:

Colostomy Bag posted:

jfc, soy based wiring?

:cripes: Honda :cripes:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They literally sell spicy electrical tape to deal with this.

Dolphin posted:

rdb posted:

Yes if its in a colorado/ranger.

Agreed, with one caveat. 2018+ gas Colorado/Canyons have an eight speed automatic where they have had some shuddering issues. Seems like it can be fixed by changing to a different type of transmission fluid. Anything with the six speed auto (2017-down gas, all diesel) should be just fine.

egyptian rat race posted:

I have a 2003 5.3l Suburban, just ticked over 150k miles.

Given that you say 5.3, I'm assuming it's a half ton / 1500? That would have a 4L60E. Easy to do a pan drop and fluid change on, but I definitely would not do a powered flush on it. Those transmissions are questionable at best.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The 8-speed shuttering issue was resolved on the Camaro for MY 2019+; I’d assume the same applies to the Colorado/Canyon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I randomly ran across a page listing common mods for a volvo S40, first on the list was a "panel air filter". Is that something special beyond a normal filter that is a rectangle and not a cone? The stock filter looks like a panel, so I figure it must mean something special.

I'm just curious, I don't have an s40

Bonus question: I was driving behind a Jetta or Passat with a huge exhaust, not just a huge tip. It sounded pretty good but it would crackle sometimes like popping a fistfull of bubble wrap. Was that a bunch of tiny backfires?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 16, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

taqueso posted:

I randomly ran across a page listing common mods for a volvo S40, first on the list was a "panel air filter". Is that something special beyond a normal filter that is a rectangle and not a cone? The stock filter looks like a panel, so I figure it must mean something special.

Probably means a K&N drop in replacement filter, which is pretty much a waste of money to get dirtier oil.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

taqueso posted:

Bonus question: I was driving behind a Jetta or Passat with a huge exhaust, not just a huge tip. It sounded pretty good but it would crackle sometimes like popping a fistfull of bubble wrap. Was that a bunch of tiny backfires?
It's called a crackle tune. The Focus RS has some of this by default but an aggressive tune can put a lot more in or add it to a lot of other cars. If done too aggressively your cat will not be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZESSOq77llM

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are there any good beginner level resources about roof racks?

I want to buy a set for my 2012 Impreza. New they seem crazy expensive and old I don't know what I'm looking at.

Some sort of guide that shows cross-compatibility across years or models would be a great start.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm trying to adjust camber on a McPherson strut, standard 2-bolt design. The first bolt loosens up okay but the second is stuck, I'm hitting it with a 1050ftlb impact and it's not going anywhere. What's the next step? I could try tightening up the first one again and going after it to see if that takes some strain off, the only other thing I'm thinking is to leave the first one loose, put the wheel back on, do a sudden start and sudden stop to see if that loosens it, but that seems like it could also go very wrong. I don't have a torch to heat it up, I do have a skilsaw but that's a last resort.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I missed this earlier.

That E450 was sold as a chassis and cab with a very specific wheelbase and the frame probably had some work done by the upfitter. I doubt your going to find one that bolts on. Maybe a universal weld on, and in that case the welder is key.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Stupid question. This is for my 89 Lada Niva but it seems pretty universal. I picked up a thermistor based fan / whatever kit and I want to use it instead of the capillary tube thermostat I'm using.

1st, upper or lower radiator? I'm using the thermostat for the fan in the upper hose currently, but I'm starting to doubt myself over which end of the radiator is the best.

Second, how do I attach the thermistor? I feel it should have something between it and the radiator for heat conductivity, and held in place / insulated with some type of silicon.

Edit: I realised there's another option. The cooling system's thermostat is an external one with three hose connectors. It's made of brass too.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 17, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rdb posted:

I missed this earlier.

That E450 was sold as a chassis and cab with a very specific wheelbase and the frame probably had some work done by the upfitter. I doubt your going to find one that bolts on. Maybe a universal weld on, and in that case the welder is key.

To be clear, the upfitting was just the ambulance part, he did the camper conversion himself in that he added running water and used the existing medical supply cabinets to store supplies. He's thinking that it will need to be welded though, he mentioned a pressure vessel. Maybe for the air suspension the ambulance had?

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, how about this 4Runner? This is the only non rusted heap one I’ve seen below $2k in weeks.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-toyota-4runner-sr5-for-sale/7143204342.html

Got an appointment to check it out tomorrow, but I can cancel if it’s not a good deal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bernie Panders posted:

Ok, how about this 4Runner? This is the only non rusted heap one I’ve seen below $2k in weeks.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-toyota-4runner-sr5-for-sale/7143204342.html

Got an appointment to check it out tomorrow, but I can cancel if it’s not a good deal.

Is the mileage listed anywhere? At that price I'm guessing it's close to 300,000

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

Is the mileage listed anywhere? At that price I'm guessing it's close to 300,000

I’m sure it must be. Still, in Colorado I assume I can sell this without a loss if necessary since these are so expensive here. Plus the manual transmission isn’t liable to get the strawberry milkshake issue.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Any car that runs and drives without major issues is worth 1700. If that 4Runner checks out, I’d buy it. I wouldn’t even haggle.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m hesitant to buy one of the new cars that has a giant as gently caress front grille. It feels like a fad. It might look really corny and outdated in 5 years from now. What do you guys think about it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ChocNitty posted:

I’m hesitant to buy one of the new cars that has a giant as gently caress front grille. It feels like a fad. It might look really corny and outdated in 5 years from now. What do you guys think about it?

I dunno what do you feel about it? Who cares if its a fad, do you like it?

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Yeah just buy what you would want to look at in 5 years, it's all going to look dated eventually anyway. All of that stuff kind of goes through cycles, it's not even the first time big grilles were a thing.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

More important question I have though, is how do you vet buyers when you sell a used car on craigslist? There’s a lot of scammers. I don’t want to get scammed or have my car stolen. Is a cashiers check ok?

For example, someone wants to meet half way, which seems suspicious. I guess this is why people sell their cars to dealerships.

I checked out youtube videos about selling a car and none of them talk about this.

I wanna see where the buyer lives. Go to their house.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Meeting a buyer in a public place is pretty standard, they don't want you to know where they live, you might not want them to know where you live.