Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaNbVKwgcLY

Goddamn I’m so excited for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a compelling reason to wait for another year or so?

Development seems to be going faster than I had anticipated but has yet to reach saturation and a price point that makes sense for the average consumer.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Development seems to be going faster than I had anticipated but has yet to reach saturation and a price point that makes sense for the average consumer.

in hardware matters you can always wait, because better stuff will always be about to come out. it's up to you if you are willing to pay for what's currently available or wait until you're comfortable with whatever comes out next

Sloop
Jun 1, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Can someone hold my little baby hands through a device recommendation? I read the OP but know very little about VR overall. I've never used it, personally.

Here's what I have:

1) About $1,000 to spend but that's the limit, including any extras.

2) A perfectly decent PC that plays modern game without issue.

3) One space that is about 8' x 8' or a larger space that is away from the PC.

4) I don't suffer from any form of motion sickness. However, my partner can't even be in a car for very long. They've said they're okay not doing VR but I'd like to include them if possible.

5) I have a giant block head. To the point that all headsets have to be maxed out and even then it's a bit tight

6) I mostly want to play games like Alyx, Boneworks and Skyrim

7) I hate Facebook so goddamn much, I cannot put it into words

Any help is highly appreciated.

If you can get past your hatred of Facebook, I have a massive head with an IPD of 73, and the Quest works great for me. No issues playing Alyx or anything else.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

VR is still early adopter tech, but it's sliding into consumer tech. Buying in when they release the Index 2 or Quest 2 is probably going to be the sweet spot

That said there's plenty of content already, Steam VR and Quest are pretty streamlined at this point

There might be a price drop on the Quest 1 when they release it's successor, similar to what they did with the Go, that would be a good entry level VR purchase. Nobody has formally announced successor hardware at this point, but it's assumed that everyone has a Gen 3 headset in the pipeline

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Tempted to pick up a Rift S, or a Quest as both are in stock on Oculus' own website right now, but I'm going to wait for the Reverb G2, or Quest 2. Ideally the next Quest will have a better refresh rate, FOV, and dedicated PCVR support instead of using the Link software, but if it doesn't I'll just get the G2.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

Can someone hold my little baby hands through a device recommendation? I read the OP but know very little about VR overall. I've never used it, personally.

Here's what I have:

1) About $1,000 to spend but that's the limit, including any extras.

2) A perfectly decent PC that plays modern game without issue.

3) One space that is about 8' x 8' or a larger space that is away from the PC.

4) I don't suffer from any form of motion sickness. However, my partner can't even be in a car for very long. They've said they're okay not doing VR but I'd like to include them if possible.

5) I have a giant block head. To the point that all headsets have to be maxed out and even then it's a bit tight

6) I mostly want to play games like Alyx, Boneworks and Skyrim

7) I hate Facebook so goddamn much, I cannot put it into words

Any help is highly appreciated.

Can you further define “perfectly decent PC”? Because a good flat screen gaming rig tends to be a not so great VR rig

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Tempted to pick up a Rift S, or a Quest as both are in stock on Oculus' own website right now, but I'm going to wait for the Reverb G2, or Quest 2. Ideally the next Quest will have a better refresh rate, FOV, and dedicated PCVR support instead of using the Link software, but if it doesn't I'll just get the G2.

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered an S with an estimated delivery of the 28th!

Can’t wait.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're looking at getting in line to wait for an Index, or hunting up a Vive Pro Starter Edition (roughly $1,100USD, and Amazon has one left at a quick glance to see how hard they are to get now). I'd lean to the latter if your interpupilary distance is broader than 70mm (you can measure it with a ruler in a mirror). The upcoming Reverb G2 might work, but its IPD range is only 60-68mm, which is why I'd go with the Vive Pro if your IPD's broader than that.

FWIW the sweetspot for IPD is quite generous, +/- 5mm for me at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I downloaded some IPD checker app and how accurate are they? I know you can use a ruler but eh.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
this whole thing is annoying, because 'minimum requirements' only mean something to someone who knows if a GTX is better than a TI or worse than a Ryzen or whatever the gently caress. I don't really care about new hardware except every 4 years when I look at logical increments and get what they tell me to

For a rift S, I believe all I need is a new GPU

My CPU is an FX8320, i've got 16GB of DDR3, and a GTX660. According to the web site, I guess I just need to get a 1060 and then I can do this huh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hhhat posted:

this whole thing is annoying, because 'minimum requirements' only mean something to someone who knows if a GTX is better than a TI or worse than a Ryzen or whatever the gently caress. I don't really care about new hardware except every 4 years when I look at logical increments and get what they tell me to

For a rift S, I believe all I need is a new GPU

My CPU is an FX8320, i've got 16GB of DDR3, and a GTX660. According to the web site, I guess I just need to get a 1060 and then I can do this huh

First, Logical Increments is a terrible build site, PC Part Picker is way better and their general build guides are really solid. The 10xx series of GPUs is discontinued which is for the best because my PC with similar CPU and a 1060 struggles with VR a lot of the time. The current equivalent is a GTX 1660, but I'd upgrade that CPU as well if you can, the pre-Ryzen AMD CPUs are pretty rough.

And if PC building scares you in general, that's what the Quest is for.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The FX8320 is also almost 8 years old now. VR games are still like, newer video games and I can see that being a bottleneck.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

njsykora posted:

First, Logical Increments is a terrible build site, PC Part Picker is way better and their general build guides are really solid. The 10xx series of GPUs is discontinued which is for the best because my PC with similar CPU and a 1060 struggles with VR a lot of the time. The current equivalent is a GTX 1660, but I'd upgrade that CPU as well if you can, the pre-Ryzen AMD CPUs are pretty rough.

And if PC building scares you in general, that's what the Quest is for.

ok so like, that's basically a new computer at this point huh

PC building doesn't scare me, I been doing it since the time when we had to know which jumper to put where :corsair: I really just can't be arsed to care about new poo poo unless i'm getting a thing for me

thanks for the recommendation, I've used logical increments one time, 4 years ago, it was useful for matching parts together so I liked it

I don't want a quest, I want to sit down and video game for the most part, but maybe periodically i'll stand up I guess

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The FX8320 is also almost 8 years old now. VR games are still like, newer video games and I can see that being a bottleneck.

I kinda figured I was going to need an update eventually, this seems like a good time to do it, or not, either way, I'm gonna check it out.

I like your user name

marumaru
May 20, 2013

seconding pcpartpicker, it's really good.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
All FX series processors were junk when they came out, 8 years later is not making them any better. That processor is a major and common bottleneck of VR systems and replacing that processor is a priorityZ

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like this might be a stupid question but I have an i7 8700K with a 1080TI and 16gigs of ram... would bumping it up to 32gigs be a worth it at all in terms of VR?

My gut is saying no but I just figured I'd ask because its not a huge cost outlay if it would be worth it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like this might be a stupid question but I have an i7 8700K with a 1080TI and 16gigs of ram... would bumping it up to 32gigs be a worth it at all in terms of VR?

My gut is saying no but I just figured I'd ask because its not a huge cost outlay if it would be worth it.

Nope. RAM is not a bottleneck.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Munkaboo posted:

Nope. RAM is not a bottleneck.

Unless you play horribly programmed trash like DCS World. *sigh*

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Inacio posted:

seconding pcpartpicker, it's really good.

yeah i played around with it a bit and I'm seeing the goodness thanks again for that link

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

i must compose posted:

Dirt Rally 2 is fun with a controller and sometimes scary as poo poo

Also currently available in a Humble Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/codemasters-2020-bundle

marumaru
May 20, 2013

so i finally tried out assetto corsa in VR for the first time and... holy poo poo, it actually just works perfectly!
seeing my current car crush (2011 WRX hatchback :allears:) 1:1 real size was enough motivation to do it, and it rocks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

Unless you play horribly programmed trash like DCS World. *sigh*

Or VRChat, where optimizing your avatar would mean putting effort cleaning up that 100,000+ poly MMD model you found on DeviantArt in all its unnecessarily-highly-detailed glory...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or VRChat, where optimizing your avatar would mean putting effort cleaning up that 100,000+ poly MMD model you found on DeviantArt in all its unnecessarily-highly-detailed glory...
Imagine VRChat on that Unreal Engine 5, that supposedly decimates high poly models dynamically.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

Imagine VRChat on that Unreal Engine 5, that supposedly decimates high poly models dynamically.

What you're thinking is optimization. How it would be used is as a challenge to use even larger models :v:.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why does VRChat have a jump button? I almost threw up when I found that one.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i don't want to know the things VRChat users would model in excruciating detail if they had the budget.
FakeFactory's FULLY MODELED comes to mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Because it's an open platform built on Unity, and there's plenty of game worlds made in it. Especially with the new SDK3 exposing a LOT of Unity components via its Udon node graphs. Bit of trivia in that regard is world creators can custom-set jump height, walk and run speeds for their world so in some of them you can wind up going for a real fun ride :v:.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Because you need to jump sometimes?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Trover Was supposed to be out on the quest today but it’s still on pre-order. I find this to be quite odd.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

thelaughingman posted:

Trover Was supposed to be out on the quest today but it’s still on pre-order. I find this to be quite odd.

It looks fine to me:
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2718107161580827/

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Silly me, I use my older card number. :sweatdrop:

Edit: I feel like quite the fool.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Skyrim VR on steam sale for $18, worth it? Having done Skyrim back in the day already, of course.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Skyrim VR on steam sale for $18, worth it? Having done Skyrim back in the day already, of course.

Neither SkyrimVR nor Fallout 4 VR are good VR games in a sense that they're not natively designed/implemented to be VR games but I'd say if you liked playing either before then experiencing the world and the setpieces in it in VR are a lot of fun.

I've played and beaten FO4VR, working my way through Skyrim now using vr desktop and a quest.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Bad Munki posted:

I really enjoyed it, it's much more immersive in VR. The mods are still fantastic and there are quite a few VR specific mods that help immensely.
Melee is pretty meh in VR as can be expected, but sneaky archer or mage was just fine.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bad Munki posted:

Get Wabbajack and the VR Essentials modpack if you want the laziest way to play "good" Skyrim VR. It's one I'm doing now and although I've got an embarrassing amount of hours in Skyrim already, it feels like I'm playing it again for the first time almost.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I really enjoyed it, it's much more immersive in VR. The mods are still fantastic and there are quite a few VR specific mods that help immensely.
Melee is pretty meh in VR as can be expected, but sneaky archer or mage was just fine.

I hadn't thought of it before, but how does the sneaking work in those bethsoft VR ports? Do you have to like squat down like in the originals?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Granted I didn't mess much with mods, but Skyrim VR was pretty bad to me because I can't suspend my disbelief and work within its combat system. Not to say that games like Gorn or Blade & Sorcery are accurate real-world depictions of melee combat, but they check the very basic boxes of if I shove a dagger straight through their forehead, they die and such. Skyrim VR doesn't work for me because it feels weird to shove a dagger into someone's face, and they're fine because it's a Dagger of Wilted Foreskin that does 3 damage, and the enemy has 100 hit points, so I gotta stab their face dozens of times. That doesn't bug me when I'm clicking my mouse to swing the dagger on my monitor, but I just can't do it in VR without getting annoyed. Plus, the object interactivity, inventory and such are super basic by VR standards, since it wasn't originally built for VR.

YMMV. It's a very "traditional video game mechanics" experience in VR, which some people enjoy, but others (like me) get all "my immersion!!!! :argh:" about it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Now that I built a beefy pc and can do pcvr games via link, what are some of the best experiences. Don't care about action/shooting combat poo poo, but more meditative, atmospheric, awe inspiring, moody, or lowkey stuff. I've already tried No Man's Sky vr and love it. A couple of years ago someone built a replica of Deckard's apartment from Blade Runner in unity vr before he got shut down by the production company and it owns. poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shine posted:

Granted I didn't mess much with mods, but Skyrim VR was pretty bad to me because I can't suspend my disbelief and work within its combat system. Not to say that games like Gorn or Blade & Sorcery are accurate real-world depictions of melee combat, but they check the very basic boxes of if I shove a dagger straight through their forehead, they die and such. Skyrim VR doesn't work for me because it feels weird to shove a dagger into someone's face, and they're fine because it's a Dagger of Wilted Foreskin that does 3 damage, and the enemy has 100 hit points, so I gotta stab their face dozens of times. That doesn't bug me when I'm clicking my mouse to swing the dagger on my monitor, but I just can't do it in VR without getting annoyed. Plus, the object interactivity, inventory and such are super basic by VR standards, since it wasn't originally built for VR.

YMMV. It's a very "traditional video game mechanics" experience in VR, which some people enjoy, but others (like me) get all "my immersion!!!! :argh:" about it.

Protip: just use arrows and magic. I have Yennifer from Witcher 3 as a companion and she kicks rear end for that sort of stuff.