Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zesty posted:

It's a pandemic and Rockstar has put out NO new content since, like, November. Really capitalizing on opportunity there.

Or even just a nice bug squashing patch. I get that new content is tricky and costly to make, but it's not like this game is very stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

At least we'll always have single player

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One thing I don't understand is that if someone picks a fistfight with me, and I win, a goober always tries to report me to the law. Happened in Valentine when some shitbird walked up to me and told me to piss off, and I didn't. Just now I was rescuing the preacher and laid his attacker out after the dude punched me in the face, and a yokel goes running for the sheriff. I dashed after him and accidentally ran right off of a cliff that was almost high enough to kill me. Wound up shooting the witness because he just about got me killed.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 16, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really like Arthur as a protagonist. I can't think of another anti-hero in gaming who is so quietly miserable as to how his life turned out.

Did you know that women didn't start shaving their legs in America until the 1920s?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

One thing I don't understand is that if someone picks a fistfight with me, and I win, a goober always tries to report me to the law. Happened in Valentine when some shitbird walked up to me and told me to piss off, and I didn't. Just now I was rescuing the preacher and laid his attacker out after the dude punched me in the face, and a yokel goes running for the sheriff. I dashed after him and accidentally ran right off of a cliff that was almost high enough to kill me. Wound up shooting the witness because he just about got me killed.

Yeah while I generally think this game is phenomenal, it treats the line between self defense and crime very loosely and you never really know when you're going to end up having to run from the cops. Eventually you just learn to roll with it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's just part of the game's realism.

Anyway the most disappointing part of St. Denis is that at least two chinese restaurants are modeled but you cannot go into them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Arglebargle III posted:

I really like Arthur as a protagonist. I can't think of another anti-hero in gaming who is so quietly miserable as to how his life turned out.

Arthur is a real interesting guy. Before I had the game and I saw the gameplay on youtube I always thought his voice sounded kinda forced and fake. But it's really a big difference to play as him.

I'm the type who can't bring myself to be more bad than I have to so I keep on playing with high honor. Therefor my Arthur is generally always a kind soul...unless he's under the thumb of Strauss ofc.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Arthur's VA is at his finest when he's hootin' and hollerin' at the vaudeville

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
[baritone voice] Howdy feller [/baritone voice]

:allears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cardiovorax posted:

lol, I think I don't need those locations that desperately.

What. You don’t need that. All of those "pro" locations are on the other map. You're completely covered with both of them.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 16, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have no idea why you'd play this super immersive game and then use a cheat map to find everything it in. It legitimately baffles me that people use those maps.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Cardiovorax posted:

Any recommendations on where to find oleander? Making poison arrows is a real pain.

It's a swamp weed, so enjoy the cute animals and friendly inhabitants!

The first four words aren't sarcasm.

The maps are best used for Online, when you're grinding dailies or collector items. In SP, they're for grinding completionist stuff (where do I find that last plant I need for XXX? or loving MOOSE! Where do they spawn?) or when you absolutely can't figure out that stupid treasure map. (Arthur Croft, leaping from ledge to ledge and oh poo poo didn't quite make it. Again.)

Last night was a little odd. Camp moved again, and moved again while I was doing a Legendary bounty. Beat down the bounty and the game decided he was dead, not unconscious. :argh: Fast-travelled to the shine shack, and spawned in *behind* it for the first time ever - honestly thought it had gotten relocated for a minute.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 16, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have no idea why you'd play this super immersive game and then use a cheat map to find everything it in. It legitimately baffles me that people use those maps.

Because people don’t enjoy blindly trying to find a specific herb? There are other things to enjoy in the game? Because just because someone wants to look up a map every once in a while doesn’t mean they use the map to find every little thing?

Or because the game will provide you a challenge of picking every single herb (out of 50+) and not provide you which herbs you’re missing, just the “32 out of 50” and every other “challenge” JUST like that?

How about the Online map doesn’t record little drawings on your in-game map permanently like the single player map does. So you don’t have an in-game way of remember which animals are where like was always intended by the single player design team but totally removed by the online design team?

This baffles you that people use references or get something else from the game?

How about the fact someone literally asked because they weren't enjoying not being able to find something while being immersed?

quote:

Any recommendations on where to find oleander? Making poison arrows is a real pain.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 16, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Those maps specifically, yes. I guess I just don't care about getting the lil belt buckle or whatever it is you're trying to get by completing those challenges. In my personal opinion, the problem was putting yourself in a position where you care about having to find one specific herb. I realize I probably sound snarky as heck right now, but I just think that this isn't that type of game and playing it like it is would be to actively remove enjoyment from it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes, it’s all for one belt buckle. You figured it out. Literally nothing else to be found. Enjoy being smug about people playing the game in ways you don’t see as immersive enough.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Dude the post you made right before mine was way more smug than anything I posted. This is not a personal attack. I didn't frame my post as questions being presented to someone as if I thought they were stupid.

edit: "That's not smug," he said smugly. I don't have time for this.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 16, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's not smug. Smug is "You're playing the game wrong. It's baffling why you would do it differently than me." And then when you're called out, you ignore everything said and land on, "I just don't care about getting the lil belt buckle or whatever it is you're trying to get."

edit: "That's not smug," he said smugly. I don't have time for this.

Great, dude. gently caress off?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 16, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Because I already have a job and spending multiple hours blindly searching for some arbitrarily rare crafting ingredient that apparently only grows in like half a dozen places in the entire game world is not what I consider a good time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I edited the post, but you mentioned the pro features. Those aren't necessary at all. The animals and collectibles that are hidden behind those features are on the other map that was linked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Come for the shootin', stay for the rootin' and tootin'

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zesty posted:

I edited the post, but you mentioned the pro features. Those aren't necessary at all. The animals and collectibles that are hidden behind those features are on the other map that was linked.
Thanks, I guess I'll try that one, then. It seemed online-specific and I don't know if everything is in the same locations between the game modes. I just saw that three quarters of the options in the other one were greyed out and hidden behind a paywall and decided it wasn't quite that aggravating yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
All animals and herb locations are the same between the two. The animal spawning, in particular, is just dumber online. Less of everything, but in the same areas.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's very cool and fun to take on a couple of guys quietly by hucking a tomahawk at one and tackling the other guy before he can get his gun drawn and knifing him.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Weapons Expert 10 - Kill a grizzly bear without taking damage, using only throwing knives

Meticulously finding and testing the perfect safe fighting spot near a grizzly bear spawn. Going to all the effort of learning how to make poisoned throwing daggers. Craft a full inventory worth. FINALLY getting the bear to spawn near the safe spot.

Kill it with one hit to the eye. Ah well. :clint:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was creeping around a farm in the dark looking for a man who needed to repay a debt. His house was locked. At one point a dog came up to me and then started walking toward the tree line and I thought "AHA this dog is going to lead me to the owner nice job Rockstar" so I followed the dog for a few minutes until it stopped to take a crap and I realized that I was wrong.

I headed for the barn trying to be all sneaky, past the sleeping goats and pigs. Pushed open a gate and crept along the back wall to make a surprise entrance.

Then I heard some sort of low, animal growl and rumbling and BAM a bull smashed into me, flinging me through the doors. I ran straight out through the other set of doors, but the bull did not pursue me.

Then I noticed that the farmer had been out in the open the whole time, working on his vegetable patch by lamplight.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Dick Trauma posted:

I was creeping around a farm in the dark looking for a man who needed to repay a debt. His house was locked. At one point a dog came up to me and then started walking toward the tree line and I thought "AHA this dog is going to lead me to the owner nice job Rockstar" so I followed the dog for a few minutes until it stopped to take a crap and I realized that I was wrong.

I headed for the barn trying to be all sneaky, past the sleeping goats and pigs. Pushed open a gate and crept along the back wall to make a surprise entrance.

Then I heard some sort of low, animal growl and rumbling and BAM a bull smashed into me, flinging me through the doors. I ran straight out through the other set of doors, but the bull did not pursue me.

Then I noticed that the farmer had been out in the open the whole time, working on his vegetable patch by lamplight.

Goty

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
R* games are miserable for looking for collectibles without a guide. From the small, nondescript pieces of white paper in GTAV, the hundred action figures in GTAO or the murals and bones in RDR2 just hoping you'll naturally stumble across this stuff will probably get you 15% of the way there.

The real world equivalent would be someone telling you they hid a hundred bobbleheads within a 10 mile radius of your house, good luck!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The various collectables are different degrees of reasonable. gently caress orchids but stumbling onto the first serial killer victim from going "hey... that's blood" was one of the most memorable moments for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I finished a mission fighting the enemy gang. At the very end one of my crew shot a hidden enemy. After the cinematic was over I looted that dude and immediately got a warning that I had committed a crime.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think this game won me over the time that a feller standing right outside of the saloon started talking poo poo to me.

I was just walking up the steps to go inside, wasn't doing anything else.

I was used to the routine of talking poo poo back-->fight, but this one time, after I responded to his poo poo, this guy drew on me. No backtalk, no argument, he just drew down.

I killed him right there on the porch of the saloon, and I then I immediately made ready my repeater, thinking that the Law was coming for me (as they seem to do every time I am involved in a fracas)

But no. I think because he drew first, it was justified. I walked into the saloon and had a few drinks, and when I came out a while later, his corpse was still lying there, right outside the swinging doors.

I wish I could have pissed on him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think my favorite Valentine introduction moment is the shootist showing off for the crowd after killing that poor idiot saying something like "Is anyone brave enough to duel me?" and Arthur pulls up on his horse and drawls "Sure I'll shoot ya." like he's talking about going to the corner store.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Not exactly the greatest story, but after the 2nd time of observing what happens when you approached a hanged isolated body, I made a habit of packing a long shotgun every time I stop off my horse. :tinfoil:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I get frustrated with the long guns outside of free roaming because missions will often randomly holster your gun and for the pistols it doesn't matter whether you use left button for a normal draw or left + right trigger for a quick draw but with a long gun equipped and slung it makes a huge difference. Press the wrong button to draw and you get shot four times because Arthur inexplicably slung his long arm in the middle of a fight for a ten second cut scene.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morter posted:

Not exactly the greatest story, but after the 2nd time of observing what happens when you approached a hanged isolated body, I made a habit of packing a long shotgun every time I stop off my horse. :tinfoil:

:same:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That "we ride you with you" moment is truly epic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Just went into town and got drunk with Lenny. I have vertigo so sequences like that are a misery.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Just went into town and got drunk with Lenny. .

You sure you don't mean Lemmy?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think he means LENNAAAAAY

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I think he means LENNAAAAAY

Ynnel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dick Trauma posted:

Just went into town and got drunk with Lenny. I have vertigo so sequences like that are a misery.

Lonny?