Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hwurmp posted:

How do you actually separate a Mackerel airlock? :kiddo: I can see the four cutty bars on each side, but cutting them doesn't do the job.

The airlock structure itself is connecting the outer hull segment to the internal frame, so you have to cut up the airlock chamber walls as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ciaphas posted:

Have you worked out what, if any, the difference between Furnace, Processing and Barge is besides "part X goes to destination A to meet your work order"? What goes down when, at the end of a shift, I go "oh, gently caress it" and send the whole remaining chunk of that loving airlock - nanostuff, lovely cheap aluminum, and all - into Processing with a second remaining? I guess I'm paid for the nanowhatever and told to just gently caress off for the aluminum?

Yeah as someone covered, you've got it. In the game world sense barge is for "objects" like chairs, computers, engines, stuff you pull out in one piece and reuse. Processor is recovering bulk valuable materials like the hull and keel and things they can reuse with a little clean up (also you tend not to slice these at least with the tools we have at this point), and furnace is for recycling broken stuff like we do with rebar or cardboard today: throw a lot of poo poo in it for cheap recoverable materials.

With airlocks, after my original complaint and then messing around I think I've got them somewhat figured out. I save them for last so at the end my ships are basically a box of the aluminum sheeting and framing that was the skin of the interior rooms with only the sections covering the airlock(s and cockpit with gecko) the only outer recognizable sections. Usually theres a few chairs or computer monitors or those awkward shaped storage units that are deep enough in it just wasn't worth my time and money to be thorough. I go in the gap between hull and room and basically Revengance that poo poo, just cut it up until the hull is free of the airlock. Tether the hull plates into the processor, and then whatever you have left of that interior aluminum skeleton chop into managable (as large as possible that you can move with tether) chunks and throw them in the furnace.

I have a feeling there's not actually an elegant way to do it, which annoyed me at first but now I'm starting to appreciate may be a design decision and hint at stuff later on that where your ability to separate pieces isn't quite so simple and clean. It definitely makes managing those sections less straightforward and gives you an excuse to go ham with the laser saw which is honestly lacking in the first ship.

As a general rule if something has a near even mix of processor and furnace bound junk, process it; the value you get there seems to be much greater. Also big props to whoever suggested using saw mode to take out multiple cutpoints in a row, if you're careful you can pop 3 or 4 in a line, although they start to get less regularly placed in the second ship. Stinger mode sucks saw mode forever.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 17, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I'm on a 6700K and a GTX 1070 and it's mostly stable around 60 but as soon as something starts to go wrong it really does become somewhat of a slideshow. Once all the particles separate it goes back to normal but when things go boom it brings my PC to it's knees.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Hwurmp posted:

How do you actually separate a Mackerel airlock? :kiddo: I can see the four cutty bars on each side, but cutting them doesn't do the job.

You need to use the saw tooth and cut the aluminum panels on the side of the airlock away from the hull and maybe the support braces?. It's not attached to the bars you can melt and separate., you can get all the sections around the airlock pulled away separately but still have the airlock stuck.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Maybe it changes by the Gecko but I :effort: Mackerels straight into the processor mostly. Gut the core, drives, seats, cargo out the bottom to the barge. Drop the nacelles to the barge. Break each rib joint and tether the whole goddamn slices to the processor. There's enough titanium to cover work orders to not worry about peasant aluminum.

Titanium probably getting nerfed in this case because I really barely use the furnace unless I'm accidentally holding a piece of the airlock or something.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

zedprime posted:

Not magic, but also something you plan from the start. Which adds water to the business decision thing.

It barely runs the sim for 1 player when things start happening, if you asked them to do it for 3 more and run it through a server interface they'd probably have nightmares.

Are there any good examples of slicing physics in MP? Seems like you'd lose some physics cheats keeping that consistent.

yeah absolutely agree, it usually can't be an afterthought. But they haven't completely outruled the existence either in their FAQ so I assume it is more a matter of resource allocation and the base game taking enough time from a probably small team.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would bet you’re GPU bound, not CPU bound. Plenty of old CPUms still hold up fine. Shipbreakers might be an odd case because there’s a lot of physics objects. What specs do you have?

i5-4570
GTX 970

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sokani posted:

i5-4570
GTX 970

Oh, yeah, you’re definitely CPU bound though the 970 is probably starting to show its age finally. God that card had a long lifespan.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
is there somewhere i can get a good video of a money shot in hardspace shipbreaker? the trailer doesn't include any sweet depressurization things or anything. I wanna show someone a thing absolutely blowing up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

downloaded a few more demos.. tonight I'll be trying Crimson Diamond, Cris Tales, Exit, Exophobia, Jessika, Lore Finder, Mutropolis, Outrider Mako, Street Cleaner, The Almost Gone, Vigil the Longest Night, and Wargirl

I was trying to find demos of games that are coming out soon but pretty much the majority of demos in the genres I care about are all TBA 2020 or 2021.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Impermanent posted:

is there somewhere i can get a good video of a money shot in hardspace shipbreaker? the trailer doesn't include any sweet depressurization things or anything. I wanna show someone a thing absolutely blowing up.

Are these good enough?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Sonel posted:

You need to use the saw tooth and cut the aluminum panels on the side of the airlock away from the hull and maybe the support braces?. It's not attached to the bars you can melt and separate., you can get all the sections around the airlock pulled away separately but still have the airlock stuck.

After some more testing I can say it's a little janky trying to get that airlock out. You do all the cutting from inside the ship in the areas around the cutting marks, make sure to get the beams at the top and bottom of the ship as well. However if their is a nacelle attached to the section next to the airlock the two sections may be stuck together so you would have to cut both sections free to get the airlock out. I essentially demolished almost an entire airlock and they were still stuck together. I did learn how to free the cockpit while I was messing around so that was fun.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Grounded Demo:
https://i.imgur.com/reim31T.mp4

:kingsley:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Man, that Carrion demo is so much fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone played Wintermoor Tactics Club? I keep seeing it pop up because of the number of SRPGs I play on Steam (that number being like, 3), so I was wondering how it was?

It's unfortunate that the game does kinda scream "Will be on a Humble Bundle within 6 months" though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

wasn’t there a whole article interviewing the xcom 2 guy which coined the phrase “gamers will optimize all the fun out of a game” when discussing how they added time limits in 2 because they wanted to encourage players not to spend 3 hours moving a single soldier at a time overwatch creeping through a mission

It was the the Civ4 designer (Soren Johnson):
https://www.designer-notes.com/?p=369

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah it turns out the phrase is older than i thought, but i was definitely thinking specifically of an interview over xcom 2 and the incredible fan backlash against the inclusion of the mission timers

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Curious Expedition 2 is in Early Access. The sequel looks uh... Very different.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Here are the demos I tried out:

Earth From Another Sun
For what promises to be a Mount & Borderlands roguelike what I found was an incomprehensible mess that took forever to load and looked like a two-dollar asset flip. The shooting and movement was actually alright, but I have no idea what I was supposed to be doing other than shooting the basic pistol at space marines who it seemed would sometimes be harmed by it and die while some insect things threw coloured balls at me that were beyond trivial to avoid. I stopped playing once I died, which occurred because my wireless keyboard ran out of batteries and the game was so shonky I didn't even think twice that the reason I could no longer move wasn't because I appeared to have become stuck inside an enemy's model until I couldn't escape out of the game.

Builders of Egypt
Builders of Egypt was an unreadable mess of tan lettering on black backgrounds. I went through the tutorial on how to build an amazing Egyptian city until the third step which was to delete some roads, at which point all of the music and sound immediately cut out and the tutorial failed to move on, which because the tutorial locks you out of every tool but the one it wants you to interact with meant that the rest of the game was completely inaccessible. I could still use the menu to exit the game, which I promptly did.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghostlight posted:

Builders of Egypt
Builders of Egypt was an unreadable mess of tan lettering on black backgrounds. I went through the tutorial on how to build an amazing Egyptian city until the third step which was to delete some roads, at which point all of the music and sound immediately cut out and the tutorial failed to move on, which because the tutorial locks you out of every tool but the one it wants you to interact with meant that the rest of the game was completely inaccessible. I could still use the menu to exit the game, which I promptly did.
This looks like it should be rad as hell and I'm disappointed the demo is such a fuckup.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wonder if these devs were under a contract to get a demo out on the day the event started no matter what or something like that. I don't think anybody involved with the creation of it would want the demo for EarthBreakers to be released in the state it is unless they were absolutely required to.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I wouldn't say they were forced to, but so many of these are small indie studios with little to no marketing budget, making a special event on the largest digital platform for selling games a golden opportunity to promote their product, even if the best they can push out is something barely functional but that might still put it on people's radar.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah a lot of these demos are really rough.

On the demo review note:
Red Solstice 2: Survivors: It's Alien Swarm, but as an RTS derivative so the controls are wonkier than they need to be. The map is massive, the missions are at least somewhat procedural, there's tons of gear and seemingly interesting progression. But there's no singleplayer, no matchmaking or public hosting for multiplayer and it's absolutely not tuned for 1 or even 2 players. So unless you can convince 3-4 other people to play it with you, you're probably going to spend your time getting eaten by zombies/mutants.

The game itself seems very fun though, the enemies are varied, the guns feel good to shoot despite the RTS-derivative controls and it's decently pretty.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 18, 2020

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

GrandpaPants posted:

Has anyone played Wintermoor Tactics Club? I keep seeing it pop up because of the number of SRPGs I play on Steam (that number being like, 3), so I was wondering how it was?

It's unfortunate that the game does kinda scream "Will be on a Humble Bundle within 6 months" though.

It's really charming and quite short. If you had a D&D group as a teen and enjoy some light strategy, you'll like it for sure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Det_no posted:

Grounded Demo:

I wish this wasn't a survival game, I've never been able to get into those but I love Obsidian games and the premise of this game seems like so much fun.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was pretty surprised that the Pendragon demo seemed so uninspired to me. I hope it just reflects poorly on a good game instead of being a sign that the game itself is bad, but I played through once as Lancelot and once as Guinevere and both had pretty much the same scenarios in the same order and the gameplay was dull. I read a preview that said there's a map layer that isn't in the demo where you can pick your path, and I assume the tactical gameplay will open up more as the game progresses too (and there will be more story of course), but as it stands I wasn't impressed at all.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all the good stuff is in 2D this year, 2020 is the year of 2D again, sorry 3d boys

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
a couple more demo impressions from yesterday: YesterMorrow seems like a decent story-driven 2D platformer, although it doesn't really give a sense of how the time-travel mechanic factors into the game's puzzles. It also feels like a Metroidvania, but the dev says it isn't?

Eastern Exorcist is a solid 2D hack-and-slash with nice art and animation, not sure how much variety the full game will offer though

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Desperados 3 seems really drat good. Having only played the demos for both games, it seems a lot more freeform and open than Shadow Tactics.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
few more demo impressions:

Say NO! More: gimmicky game about learning to say "no" to overcome your hellish office job. on-rails, using mostly one button and with a low-poly PS1 art style, though I guess maybe it's most akin to Sega's Model 2 arcade games. there's no way this can sustain a full-length game, but if it stays short, it should be pretty fun
Dreamcatcher: walking simulator with some horror elements about an unemployed Chinese man navigating both real life and his dreams. nothing terribly original here and the translation is dodgy but I've played much worse in the genre, and it at least looks to have some striking visuals in some of the dream sequences
A Juggler's Tale: 2.5D cinematic platformer where everyone is a puppet, something that only really impacts the puzzle design towards the end of the demo. also, voices are way too loud. seems reasonably polished, though
Tool Boy: I confess to not actually playing this, because a 2.5D platformer having no working controller support is indefensible

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Just Quad SLI your 2080TI's. Come on, it's easy. [They are always sold out anyway.]
-
I'm curious about Desperados. I might try out that demo. I'm going to install it right now. I didn't like Shadow Tactics though so I'm not going to be surprised if I dislike Desperados III.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Det_no posted:

Grounded Demo:
:kingsley:

Even as someone who doesn't normally freak out at the sight of video game spiders, that's a big :gonk: from me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

More demos...

LAZR - this platformer has style for miles, but it's another of the "very short level and lots of them" type. its cloth physics don't feel that impressive, and it's just not my type of game.

Lore Finder - the second Metroidvania I've played in this festival, this one has a LOT of promise. A queer Lovecraftian mystery, you play a nonbinary protagonist exploring an otherworldly house in search of their father. You start with just a pistol (which is slow to fire), but eventually gain supernatural powers as you gain pages of knowledge, like summoning an eye blast from your hand, or growing a tentacle arm to cling to walls Mega Man X style. Gonna wishlist this one for sure... but they do have some optimization ahead of them. A lot of stuttering/hiccups while playing.

Street Cleaner - has the feel of a Sunsoft NES game, but feels clunky to play and the demo level is full of sine-wave pattern enemies. why.

War Girl is pretty loving rad. It's the second game by Suits & Sandals (Khimera), and it looks like they're ready to hit the bigtime. Unlike Khimera, which was a great freeware game but had really awkward looking visuals, War Girl has a fantastic look. And they've gone in a Bleed/Noitu Love direction with the mouse & keyboard platforming & aimed shooting. Also looks to be Cave Story-esque weapon XP. This feels like the complete package. It also comes out in September, aw yea.

The Almost Gone is an isometric escape room puzzle game.. I suspect the character's a ghost or something hence the title.. it's fine. It reminds me a bit of the Get Out Kids which is an Apple Arcade game with similar mechanics. This one actually releases fully next week.

Aurora the Last Medallion... just kind of a mediocre point n click adventure game. Reminded me of Daedalic's earlier lower-budget stuff.

Lord Winklebottom Investigates is slightly better but needs a bit higher of a budget for its voice acting, imo.

Willy Morgan...you know what this one's actually alright. The character design could be tweaked, but the engine is friendly to the modern adventure game player, I liked the distorted and handcraft-looking backgrounds.. it's a rare nice mix of 3D models and pre-rendered. It seems like they understand proper adventure game logic. Also the subtitle is "The Curse of Bone Town" and that's just an incredible grouping of words.

Vigil: The Longest Night is a 2D soulslike but you just get XP instead of having souls you can lose. I don't really care about Soulslikes THAT much, but especially in 2D, the only good one I've played is Blasphemous or maybe Momodora Reverie. This isn't that interesting to me.

Yestermorrow just didn't have enough mechanically to interest me. There needed to be more. The demo should maybe have been a later vertical slice.

Going Under is very cute, great aesthetic, but it's a roguelite and I just don't have room in my life for those. I'm very tired of those. This isn't for me.

ProtoCorgi rules. Great shmup, great Virt-esque music, great art. Good food good folks good fun.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 18, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
A shame about Iron Harvest, it looked neat.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
What I've tried out so far:

HROT: Extremely Soviet, Extremely Quake 1 techbase. Plays fine but the sound design could really use some work since all the guns sound like staplers/airsoft guns,

Iron Harvest: Not impressed, this felt like a mediocre Company of Heroes knockoff.

EarthBreakers: More of a playable tech demo of a C&C Renegade style game, very rough. Sadly I expect this will probably be one of those "dead within a month of launch" indie MP games.

Desperados 3: Never played the originals but this is pretty great and about what I expected from the Shadow Tactics devs.

Partisans 1941: Rough but promising, if they can clean up the translation and smooth out some of the gameplay stuff it'll make for a great modern Commandos style game. Hopefully the "manage your partisan band" will be more than a perfunctory base management/NPC mission thing.

Mr. Prepper: One of those janky Playway S.A. life/job simulators except you're building a bunker under your house after Trump bans you from leaving town. One of the things I kinda like about these weird simulator games is the sort of "outsider's view of weird American cultural things" feeling since they're probably being made by some Polish or Ukrainian guy working off TV shows or whatever. (see also that Barn Finders game and so on)

Ostranauts: The NEO Scavenger dev is making a space scavenger type of game, I am excited.

Project Haven: Didn't finish the first mission. AP based XCOM style game, felt slow and clunky, got really tired of one character quipping "YOU GONNA BLAME IT ON LADY CRAMPS?" every time the other missed a shot.

West of Dead: A twin stick shooter about a skeleton cowboy with a Dead Cells style gameplay loop applied to randomized dungeons. Stylish and fun but the controls were a bit stiff feeling.

Nordic Warriors: This is literally a Myth: The Fallen Lords RTT game but with a Viking theme instead of Celtic, needs some polishing but I'll probably pick it up. Hopefully it won't die like the last one (Deadhold) but it seems they're focusing on the campaign instead of MP first.

RiseEterna: Seems to be a fairly bland Fire Emblem clone.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

Ostranauts: The NEO Scavenger dev is making a space scavenger type of game, I am excited.

The demo gave me the impression they're miles away from the Summer 2020 window advertised.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

Project Haven: Didn't finish the first mission. AP based XCOM style game, felt slow and clunky, got really tired of one character quipping "YOU GONNA BLAME IT ON LADY CRAMPS?" every time the other missed a shot.

Project Haven Description posted:

Project Haven is a Tactical Turn-Based RPG with a gritty story for a mature audience. Alone or with up to three friends, you command the Steel Dragons, a mercenary outfit fighting for survival in the harsh, urban near-future that is Haven City.

MATURE STORYTELLING: Learn the harsh realities of a seething megacity full of desperation and dark secrets. Witness the gritty lives of mercs and NPCs, and experience a story-driven campaign with fully voiced and motion-captured characters and cinematics.

lol

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Boooooooooooobs.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Maturely Boooooooooooooobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Took a little break and then came back with a vengeance on this puzzle in The Witness.

E: I spilled my drink too when I discovered the solution and jerked myself up to the computer. (I was solving it while sitting on the floor.)

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 18, 2020