Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Isn't the ship game basically a score attack thing where you can't 100% anything (probably!) so the challenge is in learning how to get good at assessing stuff and trying out strategies and pulling them off? A timer seems pretty integral to the gameplay loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Isn't the ship game basically a score attack thing where you can't 100% anything (probably!) so the challenge is in learning how to get good at assessing stuff and trying out strategies and pulling them off? A timer seems pretty integral to the gameplay loop

that's my understanding of it but i haven't played it. i think some people were expecting a more sandboxy "reverse-minecraft" sort of thing. which sounds like it's in there, but only to noodle around with and not make progress in the story

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People seem a lot more amenable to timers when they’re soft pressure and not an actual number/meter you can see on the screen somewhere that game overs you if it runs out, like nobody complains about deep rock galactic while it absolutely has a time limit on every map as bugs are infinite but ammo is not. Many mission based 4player coop game are the same way but timers haven’t really come to be associated with the genre.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Why the gently caress wont someone copy Star Fox 64? It's like, the perfect game. Sorry I'm just mad that I clicked on this and saw that awful, awful art style. Plus if you're not doin poo poo with getting a high score and mechanics around that, you've missed the point.

We're getting to the point where what was considered revolutionary in PlayStation 1 era is making a stronger comeback. Games like Anodyne, Slipstream, to name a few.

SNES pulling this off with Star Fox was fuckin amazing, and i love this polygonal artstyle. I would've disappointed if they went the whole way and capped it at 5 frames, like how most of these games operated in 1992-1995

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 17, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

I'm sad too but not really surprised. Accurately this much Physics Bullshit® between multiplayer clients would be a horrible nightmare to code unless planned-for from the very beginning, I'm guessing; in turn I'm guessing that if multiplayer's not already on the roadmap it's not going to be either :(

From their FAQ:

Q: Will there be Co-op?
A: Co-op would be a KILLER feature but it would likely take our entire team months just to investigate if it's even possible. Right now, we are 100% focused on developing the very best Single Player experience we can. There's still a long way to go for features and improvements that we need to make to get things to the quality we feel they need to be. But we haven't even entered Early Access yet so who knows where the future might take us!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

A Sometimes Food posted:

Anyone tried Summer in Mara's release version? It good?

The playable demo is janky and sorta amateurish but I wanna like it so I'll keep following it :kiddo:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Wow that Grounded Demo made me motion sick in a way games haven't done so in years. Anyone else have that problem?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Iron Harvest has got a long way to go, what with the units being matchsticks and the weaponry having no impact at all.

Disappointing really.

EDIT: lol there is literally no point to these mechs. This game is worryingly bad.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 17, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Riftbreakers is cool. Some real big bugswarms that go splat real nice.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol yeah iron harvest seems real bad. i was ordering my guys to get behind cover and they just kinda sat around it and got shot to death. plays like a real terrible company of heroes.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Darkhold posted:

Wow that Grounded Demo made me motion sick in a way games haven't done so in years. Anyone else have that problem?

haven't played it myself but if its Unreal engine you could possible try and change some values like FOV and post fx. Only saw the trailer and it has an apparent low fov as well as pointless headbobbing.

everything that impairs visual comprehension of the environment usually tends to add towards motion sickness. So FOV, motion blur, chromatic abberation and the like.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

that's my understanding of it but i haven't played it. i think some people were expecting a more sandboxy "reverse-minecraft" sort of thing. which sounds like it's in there, but only to noodle around with and not make progress in the story

Yeah, the picture of the game I had in my mind was a lot more like "Viscera Cleanup Detail with numbers and progression". Tight time limits and only supporting single player make it clear that they're going for something very different from that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

Riftbreakers is cool. Some real big bugswarms that go splat real nice.

Yeah I got a lot of Factorio vibes from the game between the swarming bugs and also the little drones that come out to build floor panels for you. The building is not at all like Factorio but I saw a lot that made me think "These guys definitely played that game."

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

queeb posted:

lol yeah iron harvest seems real bad. i was ordering my guys to get behind cover and they just kinda sat around it and got shot to death. plays like a real terrible company of heroes.

Yeah I had the same experience. I ordered my guys to go behind cover and they just...didn't.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

NRVNQSR posted:

Yeah, the picture of the game I had in my mind was a lot more like "Viscera Cleanup Detail with numbers and progression". Tight time limits and only supporting single player make it clear that they're going for something very different from that.

yeah, that's another interesting point: watching the previews for it and stuff over the past couple of months, for whatever reason it LOOKS like a game that would be incredible for multiplayer (even i think so), but it's very obviously a single player game. because as someone pointed out: the level of physics precision necessary as a core gameplay component makes that essentially impossible. it's important to note that no where, at no time, in no place have they once mentioned multiplayer in the trailers/teasers they've put out, so this isn't a case of them promising something and backpedaling on it, either. something about the gameplay just sets off the ol' "ooh this could be a neat co-op game" neurons for some reason!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, that's another interesting point: watching the previews for it and stuff over the past couple of months, for whatever reason it LOOKS like a game that would be incredible for multiplayer (even i think so), but it's very obviously a single player game. because as someone pointed out: the level of physics precision necessary as a core gameplay component makes that essentially impossible.

Yeah, my FPS plummeted when I accidentally blew up a ship yesterday from all the parts flying away from the epicenter. The physics simulation is pretty intense so I can see that being real tough to do with multiple people as well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, that's another interesting point: watching the previews for it and stuff over the past couple of months, for whatever reason it LOOKS like a game that would be incredible for multiplayer (even i think so), but it's very obviously a single player game. because as someone pointed out: the level of physics precision necessary as a core gameplay component makes that essentially impossible. it's important to note that no where, at no time, in no place have they once mentioned multiplayer in the trailers/teasers they've put out, so this isn't a case of them promising something and backpedaling on it, either. something about the gameplay just sets off the ol' "ooh this could be a neat co-op game" neurons for some reason!
I think any remotely first person engineering and (de)building game is immediately expected to be multiplayer since Minecraft etc.

Imagine part of it is because these games are literally gamified chores which is better to 1.spread the load and 2. BS while doing it. More graciously engineering is a social activity and you can learn tricks from others on the spot instead of trawling guides and YouTube's, or get inspiration from someone far more creative than you are.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not part of the demo festival, but Akurra looks like something that I'm going to have a very strong love/hate relationship with.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Has anyone had a chance to try out Occupy Mars yet? Base building survival game on mars.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

buglord posted:

Has anyone had a chance to try out Occupy Mars yet? Base building survival game on mars.

I looked at that and it looked pretty neat but the developers only seemed to have made building simulator games (Rover Simulator, Soviet Spaceship Engineer) so I was wondering if this would be any good since it seems like a bit of a departure for them.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cowcaster posted:

he level of physics precision necessary as a core gameplay component makes that essentially impossible.

I would't overmystify physics simulation in multiplayer. It's a challenge, sure and has much more of a tail for certain solutions (like servers), but it's not magic to make something like Shipbreakers possible for a small group of players (say 2-4 coop). It's possibly more a business descision since BBI isn't the largest dev and are also working on Homeworld 3.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

haldolium posted:

I would't overmystify physics simulation in multiplayer. It's a challenge, sure and has much more of a tail for certain solutions (like servers), but it's not magic to make something like Shipbreakers possible for a small group of players (say 2-4 coop). It's possibly more a business descision since BBI isn't the largest dev and are also working on Homeworld 3.
Not magic, but also something you plan from the start. Which adds water to the business decision thing.

It barely runs the sim for 1 player when things start happening, if you asked them to do it for 3 more and run it through a server interface they'd probably have nightmares.

Are there any good examples of slicing physics in MP? Seems like you'd lose some physics cheats keeping that consistent.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CARRION demo (and meat) are BACK on the menu boys

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

threelemmings posted:

Exactly. And as mentioned, the time limit does two things: promotes efficiency, and leads you to just start hacking things apart near the end to process what you can.

My runs tend to be the first part carefully disconnecting things and disassembling the cut points til I expose useful stuff, then carefully removing expensive items like reactors and thrusters and the other big modules, and then a middle section where I peel away the outer hull areas to the processor and cut through a floor and throw out the like 40 chairs and inflight TVs the passenger geckos have, and then after a while it's more like "gently caress it" and I just circle the ship repeatedly splitsawing the aluminum internals into big chunks and just tethering them into the furnace with the rest of the chairs and computer stuff I couldn't be bothered processing. I think the time limit keeps you honest, as mentioned. The big ticket items have such a payoff that you don't really have to do too much to come out ahead, and the rest is just how quickly can you throw chairs out a window. Also like real life recycling a lot of things aren't worth the time and money to reprocess once you've gleaned the easy 80%.

For context, I've gotten mackerel runs down to a science, first run is 2mil second is 1.5 and then if I decide to go back you can maybe scrape a little over a half mil since the last bit of dissassembly is time consuming. Geckos seem to be about 500k for the first run and 4-5 million for the second and then diminishing returns further. I haven't figured out the ideal pattern for those yet, the first run is a lot of disconnecting hull plates and prying things loose so you have room to work. Also airlocks are my bane, they're a pain to cut through efficiently and tend to hold big sections of hull in place.

Have you worked out what, if any, the difference between Furnace, Processing and Barge is besides "part X goes to destination A to meet your work order"? What goes down when, at the end of a shift, I go "oh, gently caress it" and send the whole remaining chunk of that loving airlock - nanostuff, lovely cheap aluminum, and all - into Processing with a second remaining? I guess I'm paid for the nanowhatever and told to just gently caress off for the aluminum?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress fuckity gently caress i sure got sailor's... fingers... today

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Have you worked out what, if any, the difference between Furnace, Processing and Barge is besides "part X goes to destination A to meet your work order"? What goes down when, at the end of a shift, I go "oh, gently caress it" and send the whole remaining chunk of that loving airlock - nanostuff, lovely cheap aluminum, and all - into Processing with a second remaining? I guess I'm paid for the nanowhatever and told to just gently caress off for the aluminum?

Right. The only consequence for a misyeet is that you don't get paid.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DLC Inc posted:

CARRION demo (and meat) are BACK on the menu boys

Oooh is that the one that was being published by devolver? If so thanks, I want try it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Right. The only consequence for a misyeet is that you don't get paid.

I guess that's all the gameplay mechanic really needs to be to actually force use of your cutting tools, huh :v:

I'm with threelemmings on the Mackerel airlock by the way, I cannot cleanly separate that stupid thing without a lot of fuss and bother - and since I've tended to save it to late in the operation as a whole, that's also when the remains of the ship are pretty light, so there's a lot of frustrating noggin bumping and general crowding about. (edit: this time, the frustration's a GOOD thing. very immersive, to borrow that overused bit of buzz)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 17, 2020

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Shipbreakers is dope but it makes my PC show its age REAL BAD (6 years). I get FPS in the 20s and decompression is a slide show. A shame I cant just slap in a new CPU without a new motherboard, I guess it's finally time to upgrade.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sokani posted:

Shipbreakers is dope but it makes my PC show its age REAL BAD (6 years). I get FPS in the 20s and decompression is a slide show. A shame I cant just slap in a new CPU without a new motherboard, I guess it's finally time to upgrade.

I would bet you’re GPU bound, not CPU bound. Plenty of old CPUms still hold up fine. Shipbreakers might be an odd case because there’s a lot of physics objects. What specs do you have?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

explosivo posted:

I looked at that and it looked pretty neat but the developers only seemed to have made building simulator games (Rover Simulator, Soviet Spaceship Engineer) so I was wondering if this would be any good since it seems like a bit of a departure for them.

I think the game might be fine eventually if you can put up with euro sim issues but this demo is really badly done.

Some tips for aspiring demo makers everywhere:
1.Put a control screen in game somewhere don't just show me a screen with controls and expect me to memorize it.
2. The same as above but for complex instructions. I am dumb as hell and can't remember anything for more than 2 seconds, please put a codex in your demo.

Anyway I crushed myself with the rover door because it automatically closes when you use the remote control. 3/10 stars.

Edit: It turns out there is a controls overlay but only in 3rd person view:eng99:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 18, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How do you actually separate a Mackerel airlock? :kiddo: I can see the four cutty bars on each side, but cutting them doesn't do the job.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

They actually did comment on multiplayer/VR/mods and stuff on the steam forums. Basically they just want to focus on getting a complete and polished singleplayer game for now, once they've completed that they'll look at the feasibility for everything else. IE they want to, but they're keeping a tight focus on completing the game. Which is fair, it is still in early access after all.

Edit: Oh yeah, they also mention they will be adding different campaign difficulties with different rules, which may address the timer thing.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 17, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

right, currently it is intended to only be a single player game and has always been intended to be only a single player game up until this point

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

right, currently it is intended to only be a single player game and has always been intended to be only a single player game up until this point

I get the feeling with physics this complex, any multiplayer they try to put in later will be pret-ty jank

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm hoping they add some real crazy alien ship designs into the game at some point. Something far less straightforward than the standard "remove these beams to get to the juicy center" of the ones in there now. Make it like a weird meaty alien ship or something. Or a Borg Cube.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would bet you’re GPU bound, not CPU bound. Plenty of old CPUms still hold up fine. Shipbreakers might be an odd case because there’s a lot of physics objects. What specs do you have?
Shipbreakers is the exception for sure. If you have an old i5 you're going to dip whenever physics happen that are more complicated than pull single entity to you. The only people getting constant 30 seem to be brand new i5s or i7s up to a couple years old.

It's probably not really "physics" like you can farm to the GPU, more entity interactions like reducing health and deciding to explode. But here's hoping they offload more to the GPU because I slideshow at decompression accidents with a 1060 GTX and a 4 year old i5.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That Partisans demo seems like decent take on that type of game, but firefights really feel like

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

zedprime posted:

Shipbreakers is the exception for sure. If you have an old i5 you're going to dip whenever physics happen that are more complicated than pull single entity to you. The only people getting constant 30 seem to be brand new i5s or i7s up to a couple years old.

It's probably not really "physics" like you can farm to the GPU, more entity interactions like reducing health and deciding to explode. But here's hoping they offload more to the GPU because I slideshow at decompression accidents with a 1060 GTX and a 4 year old i5.

I'm getting 100+fps at "max" settings (there aren't many settings to fiddle with) on a 7700 and 2080 Super at 1440p. Just for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well for a $700 graphics card i'd hope so