Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

GoBusters just finished it's Power Rangers adaptation though

Yeah, but it took a while and likely more budget than the previous seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, but it took a while and likely more budget than the previous seasons.

I would kill to have a genuine behind the scenes on this whole venture, given this is the first Hasbro series too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

I would assume the hard cuts and stock sequences for Sentai's transformations are to make it easier for Power Rangers. GoBusters, ToQger, and Kyuranger have all had people who just stand in the present setting and the suit appears on them in a flash without a hard cut to a greenscreen dimension. Now what do all these seasons have in common... :thunk:

Nah, it's 100% for budget reasons. Power Rangers does not matter here, this is just a Toei thing, they do it in basically everything other than Kamen Rider who gets special treatment. Just look at any Toei show that has an excuse to have stock footage transformations, it will have them, constantly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

GoBusters just finished it's Power Rangers adaptation though

Not in the US it hasn't (I believe it's currently in the middle of the second season).

Also like in Go-Busters, J (or Steel as he’s known here) still remains probably the best part of the show.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 17, 2020

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So the rest of Beast Morphers is airing in the U.K. and Australia this month. Things are getting real wild with it. The rangers teamed up with Space Sheriff Gavan Captain Chaku to fight a villain and now the big Dino team-up is tomorrow. Plus a lot of the non-Sentai footage has been top notch, especially those unmasked fights. Starting to get real excited about Dino Fury. If they can maintain (or hopefully improve) this quality, it gonna be a great season.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait really Space Cop Gavan? Or like all obvious homage

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Actual Gavan. Go-Busters had a team up two parter, so Hasbro was like “we can do that too.” Changed the name obviously but it’s Gavan.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the dubbing over footage in the most recent episode was pretty special

Mon Dieu!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wait really Space Cop Gavan? Or like all obvious homage

there was an episode of Gobusters that featured Gavan so they used that episode and suit to have him as a new character

e:f;b

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I would watch a Gavan adaption called "Captain Chaku".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Has Beast Morphers touched Dobutsu Sentai Go-Buster at all?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Has Beast Morphers touched Dobutsu Sentai Go-Buster at all?

Not yet at at least.

Also Ninja Steel adapted the crossover episode between Ninninger and Jiraiya as well (though not any of the crossovers with actual past Sentai members) so Beast Morphers bringing in Gavan doesn’t really surprise me (and to be fair I thought they handled it alright for the most part).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
This now has me picturing an adaptation of Kamen Rider Gaim someday including the ToQger and Kikaider crossovers

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Saban were cowards for not doing the Decade crossover for Samurai.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Funky Valentine posted:

Agreed

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Saban managed to make Gokaiger boring

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

I dunno if it was Saban Ent. talking poo poo or the internet making stuff up but wasn't there some talk of them adapting Decade in some way or another (As 'Power Rider', no less) to make sense of the crossover?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 18, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ConanThe3rd posted:

I dunno if it was Saban Ent. talking poo poo or the internet making stuff up but wasn't there some talk of them adapting Decade in some way or another (As 'Power Rider', no less) to make sense of the crossover?

they registered a trademark for Power Rider around the time they bought the franchise back and were doing Samurai and then internet speculation went from there

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

RealFoxy posted:

It's been seven years and thinking about this still fucks me up

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

It's been seven years and thinking about this still fucks me up

Hell, the show arguably doesn't even have an ending. Even in the extended version it just goes up to Gokaiger's final battle along with an extremely half-assed version of the Legend War and then it just kind of....stops. Even Samurai was better in that regard and that was more or less just a straight Shinkenger adaption with most of the stuff that actually made Shinkenger worth watching stripped out.

While the quality leaves something to be desired (Dino Charge was probably the best of any of Neo Saban's attempts), at the very least they stopped being super lazy after Megaforce was over and made the barest effort to start doing original stories again.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The fact that they left every bit of Basco footage on the cutting room floor is simply insane to me. The fights with him and the ranger clones were incredible and told a great story, but Saban had to cram two completely different seasons together for some reason.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

JT Smiley posted:

The fact that they left every bit of Basco footage on the cutting room floor is simply insane to me. The fights with him and the ranger clones were incredible and told a great story, but Saban had to cram two completely different seasons together for some reason.

I guess the fact that he spends the entire time untransformed meant they couldn't just use shots from Gokaiger and Saban were extremely cheap. It is a shame but they probably wouldn't have hired anyone charismatic enough for the role so it's maybe for the best we didn't get an adaption of Basco.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Testekill posted:

I guess the fact that he spends the entire time untransformed meant they couldn't just use shots from Gokaiger and Saban were extremely cheap. It is a shame but they probably wouldn't have hired anyone charismatic enough for the role so it's maybe for the best we didn't get an adaption of Basco.
Not like they nailed Marvelous either....
And apparently the actor was instructed to hold back... like WHY.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Reminds me of when they remade Devil May Cry and called Dante a gay cowboy, they prolly thought Marvelous was too flamboyant for our simple US children.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

RealFoxy posted:

I'm still bummed they wasted that footage on the show. Imagine what they could have done if they had the comic series to base the season on. I know JDF tends to overwhelm anything he gets involved in but let him ham it up as the main villain and have Austin St John and other veteran actors come in as mentors or special appearances throughout the show.

Reminds me of how Game of Thrones squandered all that buildup to go loving nowhere.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zedd posted:

Not like they nailed Marvelous either....
And apparently the actor was instructed to hold back... like WHY.

They probably wanted to make another Jason for the anniversary season but also forgot or did not care that Jason (and the rest of the gang) only worked because there was very little to compare him to, and would come across as a nothing character nowadays.

So the poor actor was made to be as wooden and unexpressive as possible because MMPR did not have good acting or good characterization.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s almost kind of impressive just how utterly soulless and lazy Megaforce was (particularly in the second half though the Goseiger stuff wasn’t exactly great either), they tried to rehash MMPR without really understanding what made that show work, Non-PR Sentai suits were used with little to no explanation, the show was almost entirely devoid of original ideas, they flew out several guest stars for maybe like a minute or two of screen time (some of which didn’t even have any lines), and that’s just to name a few of the things wrong with the show.

Like I said, even SAMURAI was arguably better handled than that. I’m not entirely sure how Saban managed to drop the ball on an anniversary season that badly.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 18, 2020

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RBX posted:

Reminds me of when they remade Devil May Cry and called Dante a gay cowboy, they prolly thought Marvelous was too flamboyant for our simple US children.
And then the next proper DMC game gave Dante a cowboy hat-weapon. :getin:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I feel bad for the Megaforce actors. The first shots of them in costume they looked so stoked (most of them). Ciara Hanna seems really witty and absolutely did not get to show it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I could never bring myself to finish either season of Megaforce because they were both so bland and lifeless. The one thing super had going for it was all the amazing Gokaiger footage and they did nothing interesting with it. Remember Troy was having visions of the legend war and it amounted to nothing and he never even mentions it to his friends until the last episode? And the giant battle they'd been hyping for two years was just a bunch of random rangers fighting generic foot soldiers?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

JT Smiley posted:

I could never bring myself to finish either season of Megaforce because they were both so bland and lifeless. The one thing super had going for it was all the amazing Gokaiger footage and they did nothing interesting with it. Remember Troy was having visions of the legend war and it amounted to nothing and he never even mentions it to his friends until the last episode? And the giant battle they'd been hyping for two years was just a bunch of random rangers fighting generic foot soldiers?

And they had the actors talk over everything. They just wouldn't shut the hell up. It's like Saban thought kids would lose interest in watching martial arts and explosion unless someone was babbling on at the same time.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

As Nero Danced posted:

And they had the actors talk over everything. They just wouldn't shut the hell up. It's like Saban thought kids would lose interest in watching martial arts and explosion unless someone was babbling on at the same time.

Don't forget flashbacks to things that happened moments earlier just incsse anyone was lost.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I feel bad for the Samurai and Megaforce teams. It’s pretty clear the actors were really excited but had to deal with bad writing/direction. I know the actress who played Megaforce yellow expressed interest in returning to voice pink in a Kyuranger adaptation just like in the sentai. I think they should bring them all back during an anniversary to redeem themselves. They deserve it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In the event that they adapt Zyuohger, bring back the Megaforce cast for the team up and just never bring up the Goseiger suits.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It still baffles me that they adapted a series based entire on rangers descended from Japanese Samurai and the head of the clan is the whitest guy you'll ever meet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

It still baffles me that they adapted a series based entire on rangers descended from Japanese Samurai and the head of the clan is the whitest guy you'll ever meet.

Kind of like how in Ninja Steel the “Earth’s Greatest Ninja” is a middle aged white guy.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i guess it's my fault for expecting something more substantial from Jason's return when they're using such crammed footage in a single episode but apart from ASJ being daddy i was underwhelmed

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

It’s almost kind of impressive just how utterly soulless and lazy Megaforce was (particularly in the second half though the Goseiger stuff wasn’t exactly great either), they tried to rehash MMPR without really understanding what made that show work, Non-PR Sentai suits were used with little to no explanation, the show was almost entirely devoid of original ideas, they flew out several guest stars for maybe like a minute or two of screen time (some of which didn’t even have any lines), and that’s just to name a few of the things wrong with the show.

Like I said, even SAMURAI was arguably better handled than that. I’m not entirely sure how Saban managed to drop the ball on an anniversary season that badly.

The Non-PR Sentai stuff was the most baffling bit of Super Megaforce to me. If they'd said "no unadapted suits" and cut them all out, I'd understand that. If they said "who cares, throw it all in", I'd understand that too. But the way they cut some and left others made no sense at all. I just can't believe Super somehow ended up worse than Megaforce. :(

Has Beast Morphers Season 2 hit Netflix yet? I've tried to watch it on Nick's app, but it's such a pain to use. I don't even think it has all the episodes, but hell if I can tell one way or the other.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I never really got over the first use of the Zyuranger suits in Super Megaforce is them getting the poo poo kicked out of them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

I never really got over the first use of the Zyuranger suits in Super Megaforce is them getting the poo poo kicked out of them.

they at least have the excuse of working with what footage they were given on that one, from what i remember gokaiger didn't really do much with the zyuranger suits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Zyuranger is not particularly a cultural touchstone in Japan, so there really isn't a big glamour moment for that team. They went with trotting out their own equivalent, Gorenger, for that sort of thing