Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
In the replies Connor Lostowka also says some of the 372 Pages patreon money will be going to BLM and Pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Okay, but Doug has been very open about his opinion on these things for far longer than Mike has been on that podcast with him. It's not like Mike has just discovered these aspects of his personality, and willingly collaborating with him for this long is an implicit acceptance of those stances.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Okay, but Doug has been very open about his opinion on these things for far longer than Mike has been on that podcast with him. It's not like Mike has just discovered these aspects of his personality, and willingly collaborating with him for this long is an implicit acceptance of those stances.

I’m not shocked that Mike has some problematic friends. He doesn’t talk about it much but we’ve known he’s a big conservative for some time. I do have SOME sympathy bc if you’re a right wing Christian it’s probably pretty hard not to associate with cretins.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

PinkoBastard posted:

I do have SOME sympathy bc if you’re a right wing Christian it’s probably pretty hard not to associate with cretins.

I, on the other hand, find it hard to be sympathetic because if you find that your political group is infested with cretins it's your onus to reflect on what that says about your politics.

"I can't take any of my friends from the Klan rallies anywhere because they say racist stuff." doesn't make me feel bad for somebody.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

rydiafan posted:

I, on the other hand, find it hard to be sympathetic because if you find that your political group is infested with cretins it's your onus to reflect on what that says about your politics.

"I can't take any of my friends from the Klan rallies anywhere because they say racist stuff." doesn't make me feel bad for somebody.

hard to disagree with you, it’s definitely disappointing

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1273441389238530049?s=20

Frank thinks he's sincere, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The bitchboy seems upset about it:

https://twitter.com/DougTenNapel/status/1273312636202074113?s=20

And there's an excellent chaser involving the Axe Cop guy:

https://twitter.com/Isaac_Dawley/status/1273389463918370816?s=20

https://twitter.com/Isaac_Dawley/status/1273390252778942465?s=20

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember axe cop. That poo poo was funny for about 5 minutes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember axe cop. That poo poo was funny for about 5 minutes.

And the whole point of Axe Cop was that it was written by that dude’s five-year-old brother, so he wasn’t even the funny one.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

TVs Ian posted:

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1273441389238530049?s=20

Frank thinks he's sincere, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Not gonna lie, this makes me feel much better.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

rydiafan posted:

I'm willing to cut Mike a little bit of slack here, at least until more info comes in. Based on what I've read, this could easily be a case of "Well of course I'll guest on his podcast when he asks, he's an old friend" as opposed to "He's my kind of bigot, I HATE all those queers, let's tell 'em what's what!" It's entirely possible that he knew that this Doug person did edgy humor, but he'd never paid attention to just how bad it was getting. Mike's sort-of-apology would seem to fit with this hypothesis.

Yes, Mike is well-known to be a Christian and a conservative. Both of those have a rather dark reputation these days, but I'm still really hesitant to call Mike evil because of it.

All that said... I had never actually heard of this Doug TenNapel person before today (apparently he created Earthworm Jim back in the day?), and so all of this is just my first impression. I might be completely wrong. Maybe I'm just reluctant to condemn a celebrity that I've liked for decades. And hell, I DO recognize just how easy it is for me, a straight white male American, to give Mike a (potentially-undeserved) pass. So all I'm saying is... let's be a little cautious here. If there's any truly damning info, it will probably be coming out in short order.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, I've never heard of the guy in my life and I've spent a long time watching the internet sewers he probably loves to roll around in.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Yes, Mike is well-known to be a Christian and a conservative. Both of those have a rather dark reputation these days, but I'm still really hesitant to call Mike evil because of it.

His podcast with his preacher (Like Trees Walking) paints both of them as very loving and empathic people, not the hate filled assholes that are most vocal Christians.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Frank, Joel, and Bill have all spoken up emphatically in support of Mike; that's good enough for me, who doesn't know any of them personally and is just a random person that's been a fan of theirs for almost 30 years.

In general Mike seems like a "keep your voice down, go along to get along" type of guy, which is Powerfully Midwestern and very difficult to break out from.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Laterite posted:

Frank, Joel, and Bill have all spoken up emphatically in support of Mike; that's good enough for me, who doesn't know any of them personally and is just a random person that's been a fan of theirs for almost 30 years.

In general Mike seems like a "keep your voice down, go along to get along" type of guy, which is Powerfully Midwestern and very difficult to break out from.

Yeah, this is how I feel too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Way I see it there's two kinds of what's labeled as "conservative", there's the kind that doesn't want any progress at all(and indeed would love to revert that which exists) which are the kind that are assholes and then there's the kind that aren't against progress, they just tend to feel it should be done slowly and gradually and they're usually decent folk

Mike falls into the latter category as far as I can tell

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Way I see it there's two kinds of what's labeled as "conservative", there's the kind that doesn't want any progress at all(and indeed would love to revert that which exists) which are the kind that are assholes and then there's the kind that aren't against progress, they just tend to feel it should be done slowly and gradually and they're usually decent folk

There's also some people who have a lot of left leaning ideas and sympathies but also some right wing beliefs that they don't want to compromise on.

Basically two party systems are without nuance and do not take into account everyone in the system by their nature. It's a whole problem of a thing and other systems don't seem to work much better either given how Canada is blundering about lately.

As I live in the South I try to keep an open eye on that kind of thing and not blindly assume anything by how some one labels themselves because the labels are often misused by shitheads who just want to be shitheads.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

There's also some people who have a lot of left leaning ideas and sympathies but also some right wing beliefs that they don't want to compromise on.

Basically two party systems are without nuance and do not take into account everyone in the system by their nature. It's a whole problem of a thing and other systems don't seem to work much better either given how Canada is blundering about lately.

As I live in the South I try to keep an open eye on that kind of thing and not blindly assume anything by how some one labels themselves because the labels are often misused by shitheads who just want to be shitheads.

Exactly, I lean left on a lot of things, but I'll admit that sometimes clashes awkwardly with being a Catholic

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I doubt Frank, an extremely not-chud online dude, would be willing to vouch for Mike if the apology wasn’t sincere. The only non-MST/Rifftrax Mike thing I’m familiar with is the 372 pages podcast and even when he’s clearly coming at something from a conservative/religious standpoint he’s still fairly benign and easygoing about it. Mike seems like he’s a literal lower-case-c conservative, not an insane capital-C Conservative.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Definitely. He's also very supportive of gay and trans rights as far as I can tell.

He has qualms about abortion but it comes across as from religious upbringing than actively hateful or sexist. It's an uncomfortable topic for him but it is for a lot of folks.

Like Trees Walking's latest episode is a beautiful talk on Black Lives Matter from Pastor Dave that is just as much a memorial for George Floyd https://liketreeswalkingpod.com/

He talks about the fires started by BLM though and says they're not helping but he supports the actual protests and why people are angry. His chief point is that governments need to listen to what these rioters are saying.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 18, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

Like Trees Walking's latest episode is a beautiful talk on Black Lives Matter from Pastor Dave that is just as much a memorial for George Floyd https://liketreeswalkingpod.com/

He talks about the fires started by BLM though and says they're not helping though...

That'd be his, well-

Laterite posted:

Nature shining through and through. For better or worse.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah. It's honestly not a terrible take overall. He's more blaming the destruction on the systemic failures of government and police, not people being understandably angry.

He's calling for the government to listen to what the rioters are saying and for dialogue to actually open up on all sides.

Of course for him the solution is folks taking Jesus' teachings to heart. He's preaching love and understanding, but acknowledging the anger comes from real problems that need fixing.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 18, 2020

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

There’s a reason I generally avoid episodes he hosts when I’m feeling down, even though some of the really all time greats are in those episodes, but sometimes a joke would come flying out and kinda deflate me.

I feel like anyone who knows the midwest also knows that there’s actually a lot behind that silence. Demureness and ignorance and innocence aren’t a byproduct of midwestern silence.

It’s a pretty good apology as far as what a person can do to move ahead, but jeez Mike

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I'm just very glad Mike avoided the whole "I'm sorry if you were offended" half-assed apology thing that a lot of conservative types tend to do. I don't know the man, obviously, but some have opined that perhaps he wasn't aware of just how truly lovely a person Tennapel truly is, and honestly I can see that. Years ago I had to cut some old buddies out of my life when it started to become apparent that they were becoming proto-chuds, until it eventually reached the point that they couldn't have a single conversation without ranting about the Clintons (or later, Obama). This developed gradually over time, and I'm sure a lot of other goons have very similar stories, so I can definitely see how Mike might have had a similar experience in this regard (only with perhaps slightly more tolerance, since it was coming from a fellow conservative, rather than someone with an opposing viewpoint).

That said I'm still not happy about the comparison he made about the pandemic lockdown steps various states have enacted and wearing masks in public to being in a "police state" (especially as the states that had looser restrictions or never truly shut down are currently seeing horrendous spikes in coronavirus cases), but otherwise I'm willing to forgive and forget.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Peacoffee posted:

There’s a reason I generally avoid episodes he hosts when I’m feeling down, even though some of the really all time greats are in those episodes, but sometimes a joke would come flying out and kinda deflate me.

I feel like anyone who knows the midwest also knows that there’s actually a lot behind that silence. Demureness and ignorance and innocence aren’t a byproduct of midwestern silence.

It’s a pretty good apology as far as what a person can do to move ahead, but jeez Mike

completely agreed

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This is cool; Shout Factory is releasing a SE Blu-Ray of the film "The Spider" and is including as a bonus feature the MST3K ep that featured it, "Earth vs The Spider."

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-spider?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nr_62320_spider

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Kind of funny timing that 372 Pages is doing the infamous My Immortal (goth Harry Potter fanfic that may or may not be satire.)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Davros1 posted:

This is cool; Shout Factory is releasing a SE Blu-Ray of the film "The Spider" and is including as a bonus feature the MST3K ep that featured it, "Earth vs The Spider."

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-spider?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nr_62320_spider

They do that a lot. Now I'm curious what the 8mm version is and how it's different.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cemetry Gator posted:

They do that a lot. Now I'm curious what the 8mm version is and how it's different.

Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxVSLxH8hs

In the days before VCRs they used to sell edited down versions of movies on 8mm reels for home viewing. Growing up, we had a Mighty Mouse cartoon and a version of "They Died with Their Boots On."

Even Star Wars got into the act

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=star+wars+8mm

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 23, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Kind of funny timing that 372 Pages is doing the infamous My Immortal (goth Harry Potter fanfic that may or may not be satire.)

Oh. Oh, my.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

We just passed an anniversary of Frank's quadruple bypass

https://twitter.com/FrankConniff/status/1276627355155521537

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

With the sun out now I wore my wide-brimmed hat with mask the other day and it felt like I needed to find a stagecoach to rob.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I work in mining where I regularly have to wear an N95 and it messes with my brain to wear a mask without a hard hat or safety glasses.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Meatball posted:

Best host segment for me is the portage bit where Tom servo shows up with a canoe on his head and while he talks about, I don't know, nature or something, every time he turns his head he hits both Mike and crow.

PORTAGE!

That's from my all-time favorite "Giant Spider Invasion" which also features some top-tier riffs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's a Giant Spider Invasion of savings down at Menards! :buddy:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Beyond Thunderdome
Hell bubbling up and flooding the Earth
Exploring Jimmy's consciousness
Crow's new computer/information superhighway
Ricochet BBQ sauce
Why don't they look?
Out of sync in time/where's my chicken puppet?

...just off the top of my head.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

John Murdoch posted:

It's a Giant Spider Invasion of savings down at Menards! :buddy:

I always loved how they were never shy to make a reference that they had to know 85-90% of viewers wouldn't get. I lived in Minnesota at the time so we had Menards, but I've never seen the store in any other state though. I wonder how widespread they are.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I always loved how they were never shy to make a reference that they had to know 85-90% of viewers wouldn't get. I lived in Minnesota at the time so we had Menards, but I've never seen the store in any other state though. I wonder how widespread they are.

Illinois and Wisconsin for sure. I'm in the Western 'Burbs of Chicago and I have one about a mile away from me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want obscure they talk about Bishop's Buffet a couple of times (two I believe) and that's a small Midwestern chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

bees x1000 posted:

Beyond Thunderdome
Hell bubbling up and flooding the Earth
Exploring Jimmy's consciousness
Crow's new computer/information superhighway
Ricochet BBQ sauce
Why don't they look?
Out of sync in time/where's my chicken puppet?

...just off the top of my head.

"...you folks got matches for Mikey?"