Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How does one even do re-reconquista these days? I can't even survive as Morocco so I gave no idea how I would do Grenada.

the other iberian powers are all roughly the same size, so if they have a fight amongst each other it's devastating and you can clean up. Particularly if it happens to Castile.

The real problem is after the first hurdle, as it's cross-religion so you'll get a lot of AE and might attract a hornets nest from the HRE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I tried a Granada game after the patch. I wanted to attack Tlemcen, but they allied Tunis (!) so I just improved relations everywhere. Right after allying Morocco, Portugal declared on them. I saw that Castille joined the war so I joined as well. I managed to peace out after a long war and Morocco was destroyed. During the truce with Castille I managed to ally Tunis and the Ottomans so I felt pretty good about the run.

Then the Ottomans lost a war against Albania and Venice, and Albania (the war leader) made them liberate a handful of provinces from Byzantium. With the truce running down and my strongest ally in a compromised position, I put all my efforts into an exodus to Africa. Sadly, I had no advisors with colonial range and weeks before I could colonize Arguin, Castille nabbed it.

As soon as the truce was over, Castille (alongside Portugal) declared on me... and Tunis and the Ottomans actually joined the war! We had bigger numbers, but my army was stackwiped in North Africa and all my provinces sieged, so I couldn't even hire mercenaries. Well, the Ottomans should arrive any moment now, right? After months of intense staring at the screen, watching Tunis get dismantled and the Ottoman armies hanging out in Anatolia, I thought all was lost. But then, a ray of hope. Two armies of 30k soldiers with great generals came along and fought in North Africa, liberating Tunis and sending the Spaniards and Portuguese back to Iberia.

I let out a sigh of relief and began to plan my next moves when I noticed something amiss. The Ottoman armies where stuck in Tangiers and couldn't cross the strait because 3 (three [THREE]) boats were restricting access. Months went by and in a blink and you miss it moment both my allies white-peaced and I was instantly met with the end of campaign screen, as I was fully occupied.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So how do people get automatic military access to my territory? The Ottomans are walking all over me to invade someone else and they never asked!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

So how do people get automatic military access to my territory? The Ottomans are walking all over me to invade someone else and they never asked!

They'll get access if you've granted access to an enemy they're at war with

strong bird
May 12, 2009

is the new expansion good

the thread title really sucks btw

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

strong bird posted:

the thread title really sucks btw

it's from halloween and long overdue for changing

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Europa Universalis IV: Click This Thread For Claims On Half Of Europe

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Eu4- HRE HRE HRE :austrianlaugh:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

strong bird posted:

Good intentions, bad execution

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Europa Universalis 4: Mama mia, that's a spicy HRE!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Firebatgyro posted:

Good intentions, bad execution

Europa Universalis 4: The worst intentions, the best executions

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Europa Universalis 4: Revoke the privilegia by page 2

Also a couple fun countries/achievements to do:

Mali for Abu Bakr's ambition - relatively chill colonization game if you can get the coast before the colonizers
Kongo for African Power - less chill but still fun, needs some shenanigans at the start to get feudalism for a smoother overall run
Ethiopia for Prester John - I like having Ottomans as the end boss, in this case they're the end boss for the achievement itself.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Europa Universalis IV: I was instantly met with the end of campaign screen

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

are the bugs fixed enough to play this patch yet

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
tapping out on the big blue blob after a few tries. feels like going fast enough is hard with all the vassals you have to eat and the governing capacity penalty impacting your AE now

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Brother Entropy posted:

Seems so. Tried a post-patch game as the Pope and didn't run into the problems of every Italian country rushing to join the HRE, and the HRE itself wasn't able to go apeshit with reforms.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

The biggest issue people had at launch was the HRE stuff, and that was fixed. You still have to be careful about peace deals not giving the full ducat amount, and Dithmarschen still isn't fixed (I won't stop complaining about this until it is!), but it's perfectly playable.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

KoldPT posted:

tapping out on the big blue blob after a few tries. feels like going fast enough is hard with all the vassals you have to eat and the governing capacity penalty impacting your AE now

you can always revert back before 1.30

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The biggest issue people had at launch was the HRE stuff, and that was fixed. You still have to be careful about peace deals not giving the full ducat amount, and Dithmarschen still isn't fixed (I won't stop complaining about this until it is!), but it's perfectly playable.

i'm not nearly good enough to be touching dithmarschen so that's good enough for me

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How does one even do re-reconquista these days? I can't even survive as Morocco so I gave no idea how I would do Grenada.

Tlemcen is almost always attacked by morocco or Tunis. Fabricate on Tlemcen and full annex them. Then use morocco to beat up the Iberian peninsula when one of the aragon Castille wars breaks out

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Excommunication is still useless since buying an indulgence clears it. And the fix for the Pope's anti-reformation button doesn't fix the problem. And big nation's all seem to go into debt spirals after any major war and never recover

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The debt spirals seem really odd. Something definitely seems a little broken with how the AI works. I have France as a PU subject in my Prussia campaign and every time I look at them their debt has grown by 500 ducats while they're running a 15 ducat surplus. I'm not sure what they're doing to run up this debt. They must be making some kind of big investments or something without thinking about how much debt they're racking up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Tlemcen is almost always attacked by morocco or Tunis. Fabricate on Tlemcen and full annex them. Then use morocco to beat up the Iberian peninsula when one of the aragon Castille wars breaks out
Not picking on you but everyone says this and when I try it Morocco crumples faster than a wet paper bag vs Castille alone; if Portugal is involved the thought of trying that is a joke.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I have yet to see a 1.30 game that does not see Portugal owning all of Morocco within the first century.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

The bug blocking taking ducats in war is probably killing the growth of the usual powerhouse AIs. Also, even though the winner doesn't get the ducats, based on counting loans it seems that the loser still pays them. The cash just vanishes from the game.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Blorange posted:

The cash just vanishes from the game.

Sneaky way to implement corrupt diplomats

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dithmarschen still isn't fixed (I won't stop complaining about this until it is!)

This annoyed me enough that I made this

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2132701754

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Back when I did Re-Reconquista I allied up and waited for the Castille-Aragon slapfight and if Aragon had bigger allies I'd jump in when Castille was getting its rear end kicked and rapidly carpet siege so it couldn't merc up. That was years ago tho it's probably different now.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I have yet to see a 1.30 game that does not see Portugal owning all of Morocco within the first century.

Still a few years left in the first century but it's not looking likely

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Not picking on you but everyone says this and when I try it Morocco crumples faster than a wet paper bag vs Castille alone; if Portugal is involved the thought of trying that is a joke.

There are other ways to do it if Morocco doesn't pan out. On my successful Granada run (on 1.29) I abandoned the alliance after the first couple wars because I was having serious war exhaustion issues from getting occupied in every allied war and couldn't consistently get the Moroccan armies to attach. I moved the capital to Algiers and allied the Ottomans instead, after which the Iberians never started an offensive war against me and I was free to expand into Tunis/Egypt. Morocco did get mostly eaten by Portugal but I force vassalized its remains and reconquered the Moroccan cores without too much trouble. Had to wait a long time for Castile because of their early game alliances but I was lucky enough to not get the Iberian Wedding and eventually managed to jump them while they were off fighting the league war.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Wafflecopper posted:

Still a few years left in the first century but it's not looking likely

Not in my game either. It isn't even my fault, the only thing I've done to hurt the Iberians so far was to snipe Portugal's colonial nation in the Caribbean quite recently. France clowning on Castile, no Iberian wedding, a wild Granada doing well for itself.

Behold Mega-Naples apparently trying to form Italy (currently a serene republic!) and also Blobhemia going nuts in central Europe. Austria still has the HRE but is weak and has only passed one reform.

(New World custom nation achievement run, going pretty OK so far.)

Groke fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 19, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Somehow in all my years with the game I didn't have a proper world war, as in 7 years war style fighting all over the world. [Insert joke about my 600 hours playtime is just a tutorial] Part of it was that early AI wasn't good as expanding. After that I've mostly played smaller nations who didn't get in time to properly colonize so they had a more traditional blobbing experience. And when I had colonial wars I mostly went for enemy core lands letting colonial nations do whatever they want.

Now I'm playing as France that subjugated British and a little of Italy and colonized everywhere. Spanish and Portugal empires are on fire. I've beaten Spanish once in 16th century getting Valencia, but now in 1660's I'm having a great war between great powers. I probably won't even get a lot from it but my Power Projection is getting low so it's time to make hundreds of thousands young people dead. I remember how big wars made me irritated cause I never had WC in mind. I don't think I'll be able to do it now yet. Still excited.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Blorange posted:

The bug blocking taking ducats in war is probably killing the growth of the usual powerhouse AIs. Also, even though the winner doesn't get the ducats, based on counting loans it seems that the loser still pays them. The cash just vanishes from the game.

I know it super hosed with my Austria run when I wasn't sure how the bug worked yet and lost like 1500 ducats in a peace deal with the ottomans that I took like 8 loans out to fight. If the AI is affected too, then it's definitely contributing to the problem.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm doing a Prussia game that I might turn into Germany and very early on Austria lost the HRE due to lack of an eligible heir and it went to Hesse instead who has held it for almost 100 years. In the 100 years since the game started not a single reform has been passed and the empire is losing tons of influence a month. This is just fine with me because it makes it easier to eat everyone around me. For a few years it looked like Bohemia was going to win the election but Hesse suddenly got an heir and then everyone voted for them again.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The third, fourth, and fifth greatest powers in my current game are Florida, Louisiana, and Mexico. Granted, a big part of the reason for this is because I wrecked most of the great powers of Europe, but it's still funny to see.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

After 140 years of being emperor of HRE Hesse has finally lost the crown, to Milan. They had a good run ending with 0 IA and 0 reforms passed which if you combine their reforms passed with those of Austria you get 0. The year is 1590.

The Ottomans are doing very well with owning most of the middle east and taking big chunks out of Hungary. 200k troops will do that for you I guess. Poland/Lith is in charge of Eastern Europe and Muscovy is a broken husk.

I'm hoping the league war kicks off soon because tons of people have joined both sides but I'm not sure what actually triggers them to fight.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Communist Walrus posted:

The third, fourth, and fifth greatest powers in my current game are Florida, Louisiana, and Mexico. Granted, a big part of the reason for this is because I wrecked most of the great powers of Europe, but it's still funny to see.

I have a similar situation. Spain was great at colonizing and I as France mostly threw them away from Florida and also got most of Luisiana from Portugal. I didn't beat Portugal that hard but with Spain we had a long war. After that Morocco fought Spain too and it ended up releasing Mexico and Brazil, both great powers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cheesetriangles posted:

After 140 years of being emperor of HRE Hesse has finally lost the crown, to Milan. They had a good run ending with 0 IA and 0 reforms passed which if you combine their reforms passed with those of Austria you get 0. The year is 1590.

The Ottomans are doing very well with owning most of the middle east and taking big chunks out of Hungary. 200k troops will do that for you I guess. Poland/Lith is in charge of Eastern Europe and Muscovy is a broken husk.

I'm hoping the league war kicks off soon because tons of people have joined both sides but I'm not sure what actually triggers them to fight.

the league war starts when the protestant league leader declares war on the catholic league. i don't think the catholic league can instigate

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm doing a Prussia game that I might turn into Germany and very early on Austria lost the HRE due to lack of an eligible heir and it went to Hesse instead who has held it for almost 100 years. In the 100 years since the game started not a single reform has been passed and the empire is losing tons of influence a month. This is just fine with me because it makes it easier to eat everyone around me. For a few years it looked like Bohemia was going to win the election but Hesse suddenly got an heir and then everyone voted for them again.

Be sure to dismantle the HRE. It'll markedly reduce the AE you take from expanding, and it'll let you have an Empire tier government. As Prussia you're going to need every bonus to Admin Cap you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I mean, i did it first try and it seems to be the most reliable option. Castille and aragon have to not be allied for this probably. Usually when aragon DoWs, so do i. Then castille ends up with the civil war event after being kicked around and makes future wars very easy.