Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pro Shipbreaker tip: rocket fuel blows up real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jamfrost posted:

Took a little break and then came back with a vengeance on this puzzle in The Witness.

E: I spilled my drink too when I discovered the solution and jerked myself up to the computer. (I was solving it while sitting on the floor.)

It's been ages since I played it. What do you need to actually do here?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Outrider Mako seems real cool but the demo is another odd vertical slice because it gives the impression it's more of a roguelite when it's not.

It's actually more of an arcadey Zelda where you can jump... and just overworld, no temples. You're a delivery person who has to find ore, wrap it up and deliver to the local gods, who then give you a passive buff (either for the current chapter or permanent).

The art and UI are gorgeous, this is a year of just sublime 2D. I think the combat might need a little bit more to it (you have sword swinging, dodge roll, and Sonic Adventure esque lock-on bouncing), but that's also the problem with what I'm assuming is an early vertical slice.. I probably don't have all the abilities/mechanics available. So I can only judge it based on how it plays in the early going, which is at least a solid base.

So that's another baker's dozen of demos played tonight. My favorites: War Girl, ProtoCorgi, Outrider Mako, and Lore Finder.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 18, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Going to take a minute to gush about the Dwerve demo.

Hot drat. What a masterful combination of genres. Imagine an action-adventure game like the classic 2D Zeldas but instead of playing Link you play as a dwarf who walks slow as gently caress and is almost defenseless. And, since he is so slow, his main method of fighting is laying down combinations of traps and turrets that essentially make each encounter a tiny, 30 seconds long tower-defense match that has you frantically rebuilding new traps as they are destroyed and trying to stay alive.

It's genius. I dunno if these guys came up with this concept of how to translate tower-defense into an action game but man, it's so clever it hurts.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Looks like someone did create a Shipbreakers thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928162&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kennel posted:

It's been ages since I played it. What do you need to actually do here?

You have to draw a line from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner that accommodates all the shapes' sizes and tiles that their symbols occupy. It ended up being much simpler than I thought after I came back from my mini-Witness vacation.
-
Man, a lot of neat games coming soon. Keep the recommendations up, brave tryers of demos.

I've added Outrider Mako, Cyber Hook, Ghost Runner, Alwa's Legacy, Creeper World 4, and Carrion. Already had Everspace 2 on there. And whatever this thing is: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1334840/GOHOME/ I don't even know if it's part of the Steam Festival, but it looked weird enough.

Rest in peace, wishlist.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 18, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamfrost posted:

I discovered the solution and jerked myself

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I guess I'm still playing demos, nothing particularly standout at the moment. I tried Mutropolis, it has puppety animation which I'm not a fan of when it comes to point n clicks. So that's a pass for me. Jessika appears to be this year's Her Story clone, where you dig through old diary videos of a woman who committed suicide at the request of her father. Such a subject feels.. a little exploitative in a way that makes me do the :/ face irl. but i might still play the full thing because i'm still waiting for someone to do this concept well, since sam barlow can't

it's 6 am i should probably go to sleep. or maybe i'll play another demo...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody made Deus Ex Cleaning Simulator...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJPXxAapswU

https://kotaku.com/deus-ex-fan-game-is-just-about-cleaning-adams-disgustin-1844072906

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Orv posted:

Shipbreaker is you tearing apart ships while in a space dock in orbit in order to fund your escape to a better life somewhere else in human space. You do this by getting into a mild amount of debt to the corp that hired you and tearing apart those ships for their valuable bits. That trailer is all the ways it can go wrong. Also you have to pay for your own cloning which puts you more in debt.

Here's a more general overview one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN82DJGmq7o

Was sold on it until I noticed the 15 minute time limit. I loving hate time limits.

e.

threelemmings posted:

You can go right back to the same ship for basically no penalty fwiw.

Then why have it at all? Completely pointless.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 18, 2020

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Ambaire posted:

Was sold on it until I noticed the 15 minute time limit. I loving hate time limits.

You can go right back to the same ship for basically no penalty fwiw.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Ambaire posted:

e.

I haven't played yet, but from what I gather it's not a hard time limit as much as an incentive to go fast and make more money. The timer isn't a fail state. It's just more lucrative to mind the clock.

You can also play free mode with no time pressure at all.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ambaire posted:

That's a pretty funny flip right there. To answer your question, I'll ask another: what do you feel betas are for?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Every game has a time limit based on when you next gotta go to work, sleep or eat

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just suck it up and try it with the time limit, the gameplay wouldn’t work without some kind of pressure. I know a lot of people are allergic to timers but it’s generous enough for you to accomplish what you set out to do with a little extra time for sweet bonus stuff if you cut well and plan right.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This reminds me of the MGSV debate. "Oh it has a single non-optional multiplayer bit? I'm literally never buying this now"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outer Wilds should be out in 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPi25G4FonY

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Tried some demos:

The Iron Oath is a medieval mercenary sim, much like goon-adored (although the upcoming DLC is testing that adoration) Battle Brothers. It's a high fantasy setting instead of low fantasy, however, and it seems to focus more on dungeon crawling and your company surviving the test of time as mercenaries get old, retire, (or die trying) and you hire new youngin's to take their place. Features a political map that will change over time due to calamities and social upheavel, although that part of the game isn't really in the demo. Mainly focuses on the hex grid turn-based battles, that features 4 of the 12 or so classes, with each character having about 6 different skills, many that can only be used so many times per dungeon. It's extremely my poo poo, but the demo is pretty short so it was hard to get a sense of how the game will play outside dungeons.

The Last Spell is a strange mix of tower defense and FFT-style turn based RPG. You're defending a group of wizards trying to cast a world-saving spell against an undead horde that attacks every night. Every day you prepare defenses, level up your heroes, have them perform actions based on the buildings in your town, and prepare defenses like walls, gates, and towers. Every hero is randomly generated, and their abilities are determined by the weapons they have equipped, so there feels like a decent amount of depth to how you organize your crew. Very early alpha, but it's quite fun so far.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Outer wilds is amazing and everyone should play it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

queeb posted:

I bought it on day one, played until an extremely unsettling jump scare (which i am told is the only one in the game) and immediately alt+f4'd and never picked it up again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I bought it on day one, played until an extremely unsettling jump scare (which i am told is the only one in the game) and immediately alt+f4'd and never picked it up again.

You're talking about Dark Bramble, aren't you?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You're talking about Dark Bramble, aren't you?

Yes. I also can't play Subnautica for similar reasons, that game is just beyond terrifying imo

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Giants deep was a bit unsettling too but man, the atmosphere of the whole game is amazing

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

GOTY

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

queeb posted:

:emptyquote:

:emptyquote:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dreylad posted:

Tried some demos:
The Last Spell is a strange mix of tower defense and FFT-style turn based RPG. You're defending a group of wizards trying to cast a world-saving spell against an undead horde that attacks every night. Every day you prepare defenses, level up your heroes, have them perform actions based on the buildings in your town, and prepare defenses like walls, gates, and towers. Every hero is randomly generated, and their abilities are determined by the weapons they have equipped, so there feels like a decent amount of depth to how you organize your crew. Very early alpha, but it's quite fun so far.

Oh, that's got a demo? Cool. I'd seen them advertise it as FFT meets Dynasty Warriors, are you really fighting hughe swarms of undead?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't recommend the game enough but never actually finished it. I think I got to a part that I couldn't really figure out how to progress and drifted away from it because other stuff came out. I'm thinking about buying it again on Steam for some reason but having to re-tread the stuff I already did seems like a waste of time. Game's amazing and I hope they get a shitton of sales now that it's on a platform where people can actually see it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yes. I also can't play Subnautica for similar reasons, that game is just beyond terrifying imo

It's possible to platinum Subnautica and never fight anything bigger than a baby leviathan. But the warpers will gently caress you up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just suck it up and try it with the time limit, the gameplay wouldn’t work without some kind of pressure. I know a lot of people are allergic to timers but it’s generous enough for you to accomplish what you set out to do with a little extra time for sweet bonus stuff if you cut well and plan right.

I refuse to partake of any game that cannot be played outside the four-dimensional confines of this limited, temporal universe

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh huh, I was really confused for a bit there and wondering if it had been in early access all this time. Didn't realize it was an exclusive.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Subnautica has more scare than bite, the only time I've died in my playthrough of the game was from a fire.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You'll asphyxiate to death in both games more times than you want, though you can pick your flavor, the darkness of the deep sea, or emptiness of the infinite void of space.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Can someone die from making GBS threads their pants so hard their rear end in a top hat pops out?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

drat near... oh it did in fact kill him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dead Rising got a lot shittier without the time limits

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cyberpunk got delayed again, to November 19th, so there's another reason I'm waiting impatiently for that month to roll around.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ZearothK posted:

Subnautica has more scare than bite, the only time I've died in my playthrough of the game was from a fire.

there's a lot of games you can only experience once, once you know the mechanics it's not really the same

the best part though is watching someone go through something that was really tense, knife-edge stuff for you and they're all "oh dang" and don't take it as seriously and they're still fine??? their loss to be honest, that experience is half the fun

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Can someone die from making GBS threads their pants so hard their rear end in a top hat pops out?

i'll try it out and report back

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Cyberpunk got delayed again, to November 19th, so there's another reason I'm waiting impatiently for that month to roll around.

Can't believe they delayed it so it could be released on Stadia.... :stadia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I’m one of the weirdos that hates time limits in games, even though I understand that they are needed for certain games. I hated Dead Rising, but enjoyed DR3 (but not DR4). I think what bothers me is that I play games to relax, and have fun. I have enough time constraints at work/in life, so having them in a game can cause me unneeded anxiety, which is the opposite of why I play games. I am fine with games that have it, and I just tell myself it’s not for me, and move on to a game I enjoy.