Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

DH would have helped the Pirates immensely each of the past two seasons, probably 2017 as well tho I'm blanking a bit. I understand the other objections but I don’t agree that DH will disproportionately hurt low budget teams. No evidence, not logical given how the position is filled currently

The bone being thrown to the MLBPA is that the DH permits older players to stay in the league longer, and being veterans the DH tends to be the most expensive position in the roster barring elite starting pitchers. J. D. Martinez got paid more last year than anyone else on the Red Sox roster not named Price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
DH production by team in 2019...MIN and KCR got the most out of the position. Martinez is an anomaly and not reflective of how that lineup spot is used leaguewide now

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

DH production by team in 2019...MIN and KCR got the most out of the position. Martinez is an anomaly and not reflective of how that lineup spot is used leaguewide now

That's with Astros only getting half a season of my Large Slugging Son Yordan though :getin:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

GalacticAcid posted:

I was wondering who in the holy hell put the Royals on top of something until I remembered Soler DHed most of the year.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
There's always players with bats but weak defense, or positional log jams that squeeze out players. Those players will be getting shots at 15 new DH positions. It's also a good way to keep good hitters healthy by not forcing them to play a position every day to stay in the lineup.

The Pirates could DH Bell and free up 1B to another first basemen and all of this is irrelevant, even.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Would have been really nice to let Gregory Polanco DH while his shoulder recovered, even with the poor first base defense from JB.

Apr 7, 2003

New Concept Hole posted:

There's always players with bats but weak defense, or positional log jams that squeeze out players. Those players will be getting shots at 15 new DH positions. It's also a good way to keep good hitters healthy by not forcing them to play a position every day to stay in the lineup.

The Pirates could DH Bell and free up 1B to another first basemen and all of this is irrelevant, even.

I don't like watching DH baseball due to how it plays out on the field so I'm ducking out entirely regardless of who plays where, but I figured there was a parity argument to be made. Time will tell.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Totally reasonable. Will be tough to get a read on the real effects until we get at least a full season in

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

bewbies posted:

honestly I think it is kind of the opposite...it gives poor teams a chance to platoon a couple of decent bats on the relatively cheap, which decreases the relative value of good bats at other positions.

really elite DHs are very rare and even then aren't that expensive.

A hard click of an industrial steel latch. Vapor spills from the seals of a stainless door. Machines whirr. Vitals refresh on a telemetry screen. Edgar Martinez opens his eyes slowly. Yawns. Sighs, and unsheaths his Louisville Slugger.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I don't know if Republic Services is nationwide but the Astros already use their color scheme and not too far off from their livery.

the republic services astros cheated in the world series and still lost

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

LeeMajors posted:

A hard click of an industrial steel latch. Vapor spills from the seals of a stainless door. Machines whirr. Vitals refresh on a telemetry screen. Edgar Martinez opens his eyes slowly. Yawns. Sighs, and unsheaths his BONESABER

ftfy

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Let the DH in the NL but on one special day per year all teams play and can only play pitchers at every position (except catcher, maybe). Somehow this special day will determine home field advantage in the world series.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Craig Edwards at fangraphs actually wrote about teams who gain the most from a universal dh based on rosters as of early May.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/nl-teams-stand-to-lose-out-if-theres-a-universal-dh-in-2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Casnorf posted:

I don't know if Republic Services is nationwide but the Astros already use their color scheme and not too far off from their livery.

the republic services astros cheated in the world series and still lost

Color scheme must be different. I’m staring at a royal blue, white and red Republic truck on my street right now.

A+ new euphemism

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

Craig Edwards at fangraphs actually wrote about teams who gain the most from a universal dh based on rosters as of early May.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/nl-teams-stand-to-lose-out-if-theres-a-universal-dh-in-2020

I don't think I can take any article that doesn't pick Kyle Schwarber as the Cubs DH seriously.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

So can otani DH in games he pitches and still hit if he’s removed as a pitcher ?

No

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Has anyone said gently caress the DH lately?

Because gently caress the DH even if I know it's the smart thing to do.

Apr 7, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

It really doesn't add anything tangibly positive to the game. It's a lateral move to satisfy the MLBPA in return for other concessions.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

The DH is good.

Apr 7, 2003

If that's the sort of baseball you like that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that, but the Three True Outcomes stuff just ain't my cup of tea.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If that's the sort of baseball you like that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that, but the Three True Outcomes stuff just ain't my cup of tea.

It really doesn't add anything tangibly positive to the game. It's a lateral move to satisfy the MLBPA in return for other concessions.

:same:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hmm I’ll try to pull TTO/PA by position later....would be interesting to see

Pitchers striking out so frequently might put them at the top tbh. But yea if DH adds to TTO style play that’s a definite negative to me as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TorresGleyber/status/1273665559201304578

lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Curious how the DH/no DH debate impacts "the Three True Outcomes stuff". That's more of a question of approach and GM in favor of players who have that approach (at all positions), not sure that having a pitcher weakly ground out a couple of times per game is really keeping things more exciting on the whole.

Apr 7, 2003

General Dog posted:

Curious how the DH/no DH debate impacts "the Three True Outcomes stuff". That's more of a question of approach and GM bias toward players who have that approach, not sure that having a pitcher weakly ground out a couple of times per game is really keeping things more exciting on the whole.

It isn't restricted to one league or another, but the DH is definitely a part of and a contributor to the all-or-nothing mentality.

There aren't a flock of potential fans sitting outside NL stadiums saying that they'll jump in and start spending money once they don't have to watch pitchers bat four times a game, no more than there are potential fans waiting for games to be seven minutes shorter before they buy in.

It's a change that has no positive effect for NL fans. There's no on-field reason to do it. We already have rules in place governing interleague play.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Edit: ^^^^^ this is fuckin dumb as hell

Get rid of first baseman too they are also too tto, just throw the ball at the players

Also isn’t mike trout regularly near the top of the tto list cause he does those three things a lot

Apr 7, 2003

uggy posted:

Edit: ^^^^^ this is fuckin dumb as hell

...Because?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

So the dude who used to play third base for the Twins is a reporter now, for "Jomboy Media", and "Jomboy" is a Youtube guy? Except now it's a media company? OK I think I'm caught up on this stuff. Carry on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In what way does the DH contribute to the all-or-nothing mentality? Yes DH's are likely to be TTO type hitters, but that's because of the pre-existing convention that that is the type of hitter you want in your lineup. It's not like National League lineups are currently the pitcher and eight guys who just slap line drive singles and doubles all day.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 18, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

You answered your own question.

Like I said, I don't like TTO baseball, if you like it that's cool, there's nothing wrong with it. I grew up a Phillies fan through the eighties and nineties and I've been a Pirates fan since then. The game is moving away from the kind of inside small baseball that I like, and a part of that is instituting a DH in the NL. I don't see how that's positive for fans who like the NL product just the way it is. At heart it's a labor move, not a move to improve the product on the field.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
And also like speaking for all of nl fans like we are one entity is ridiculous.

I don’t understand why you like only fuckin post about this too Jesus Christ nobody cares that you hate the dh talk about literally anything else

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Of the players who have had the highest single hr seasons in baseball history, which league have the majority played in

Same question for all recent seasons of starting pitchers with over 300k in a season

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Pitchers in 2019: 3.1% BB%, 43.5% K%, 0.5% HR% = 47.1% TTO
DH in 2019: 10.7% BB%, 25.0% K%, 4.7% HR% = 40.4% TTO
All Non-Pitchers (including DH) in 2019: 8.7% BB%, 22.4% K%, 3.7% HR% = 34.8% TTO

Not sure how removing pitchers, the single largest source of TTO, is going to increase TTO

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

imagine arguing with PFC in this thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Removing the pitcher from the lineup decreases the chance that you will see a bunt attempted in a given game, and that’s basically it. The drop in actual rate at which balls are put in play is the result of trends that have nothing to do with the DH.

Apr 7, 2003

It's entirely valid for me to just say that I don't like the DH because I don't like the DH. I don't need stats for that. As a fan I'm allowed to feel that way.

Adding it to the NL adds nothing tangible to the game. It's a labor relations move. It will not improve the product on the field. It's just a way to get the MLBPA to agree to concessions in other areas.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1273674985719152641?s=21

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

*claps hands*

We want 69
We want 69

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

marioinblack posted:

*claps hands*

We want 69
We want 69

11 games against the 4 other teams in your division. 5 games against the 5 teams in the same region in the other league. it's perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What reporter was the one some goon introduced to the Goat Man? Passan? Heyman?