Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Kitchner posted:

Anyone who cares enough about "being right" to correct someone on how they pronounce their own surname is obviously going to reject any criticism.

Like I have a super long and weird to pronounce Armenian last name (seriously, different branches of my extended family pronounce it in different ways) that I'm sure we're not saying the "correct" way, but if someone corrected me I'd probably just say "cool, thanks!" and change the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cyks posted:

According the the OP
"He doesn’t play the games when she’s in her cot or I’ve taken her out in the pram – it’s only when he has her on the sofa with him."

So yes?

eh we'll see how it goes in a couple of months when the kid surpasses her dad developmentally.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Bamabalacha posted:

Like I have a super long and weird to pronounce Armenian last name (seriously, different branches of my extended family pronounce it in different ways) that I'm sure we're not saying the "correct" way, but if someone corrected me I'd probably just say "cool, thanks!" and change the topic.

my married last name is extremely French and even my husband's assorted immediate family all pronounce it slightly different

most of them are in Louisiana though so mangled and/or arbitrary French pronunciations are pretty much par for the course

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Cyks posted:

According the the OP
"He doesn’t play the games when she’s in her cot or I’ve taken her out in the pram – it’s only when he has her on the sofa with him."

So yes?

The post makes it sound like he's just not specifically playing the Zelda games except when he's got the kid with him. It's mentioned several times that he's never been seen playing Zelda other than that, making me think it was his first video game as a kid which

I can easily see some nerd thinking "If I just speedrun the child in the exact same order as my own life, I'll have a best friend who loves playing video games with me!"

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting upset that my wife's 7 year old daughter basically ruined our wedding day?

What the hell did this rear end in a top hat expect? He says right in the post that he felt "tension" between him and the kid from the very beginning-- what the gently caress kind of adult male human being sees a seven year old upset that someone new is changing up her life and thinks "clearly this child is my opponent, there is tension", like ffs

And maybe this is reading in a bit, but wouldn't you think, just a little, that if the kid doesn't like him maybe its not the greatest loving idea in the world to take her out in public where she can't get away without making a scene and give her news that's gonna ruin her day? What the gently caress kind of mother lets that happen to her kid?

Ugh. Future estranged parents indeed. I'm way too angry over this. gently caress those assholes and their wedding day, they got the wedding and honeymoon they deserve.

Edit: figured out whats making me so mad-- zero empathy for the kid at all in that post. Not even an attempt, not even "i get that im a stranger" or "i know i shook up her life" or anything. Yikes.

Lysistrata fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 18, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Lysistrata posted:

What the hell did this rear end in a top hat expect? He says right in the post that he felt "tension" between him and the kid from the very beginning-- what the gently caress kind of adult male human being sees a seven year old upset that someone new is changing up her life and thinks "clearly this child is my opponent, there is tension", like ffs

And maybe this is reading in a bit, but wouldn't you think, just a little, that if the kid doesn't like him maybe its not the greatest loving idea in the world to take her out in public where she can't get away without making a scene and give her news that's gonna ruin her day? What the gently caress kind of mother lets that happen to her kid?

Ugh. Future estranged parents indeed. I'm way too angry over this. gently caress those assholes and their wedding day, they got the wedding and honeymoon they deserve.

Edit: figured out whats making me so mad-- zero empathy for the kid at all in that post. Not even an attempt, not even "i get that im a stranger" or "i know i shook up her life" or anything. Yikes.

Also the lack of explaining where the kid's dad is is deafening in it's absence. No kind of explanation or defense as to why this kid may hate him so much is very telling. I feel like there's something sinister or otherwise lovely going on here that he's not letting on to get a sympathetic light. 7 year olds by and large don't run the gently caress away just cause their mom gets remarried.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

coolusername posted:

My (f28) fiancé (m27) is trying to make our baby (f3months) Legend of Zelda themed.

i wanted to bold the whole thing.

THis is terrible and child abuse. Zelda was a mediocre game when it came out, hasn't aged well (all of its sequels suck, too) and dramatically better metroidvania games exist. Dark souls is 10000% a better game and I would have respected him if he named his daughter Dark Sun Gwyndolin or Anastacia of Astora. Even Samus would be a better name for a child, and the suit could help protect her from pathogens damaging to young children.

Yes this is significantly more effort than a lovely triforce but the metroid suit would lead to a much better, more fulfilling childhood. I named my daughter "Chosen Undead" and her classmates have had nothing but respect for the classic and enduring IP behind her name.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

SoftNum posted:

Also the lack of explaining where the kid's dad is is deafening in it's absence. No kind of explanation or defense as to why this kid may hate him so much is very telling. I feel like there's something sinister or otherwise lovely going on here that he's not letting on to get a sympathetic light. 7 year olds by and large don't run the gently caress away just cause their mom gets remarried.

He's obviously a nightmare beast that killed the father and consumed his essence to assume human form. Only the daughter (who has the innocent heart of a child and can see through the illusion) knows the truth. Through a series of adventures she will defeat the monster and free her mother from the spell.

Or the guy had an affair with the mom and the kid knows that he destroyed her parents marriage. You know, if you want to be boring about it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Lysistrata posted:

That's what bugged me about the post. He treats her like an obstacle or a nuisance rather than as a human being. There is of course her reaction to this kind of attitude from him. Some people are so loving stupid that they can't even pretend that they give a poo poo about anything but themselves.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

SoftNum posted:

That post was a lot like Krusty's autobiography - self-serving, with many glaring omissions. Considering that kind of drastic acting out, it's amazing how little detail there is. Are we to believe that's just 7-year-olds, I suppose?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

AITA for correcting someone on how to pronounce his last name?

Folks, if you had “OP quintuples down in the comments on how right he is in the comments”, kindly come forward to collect your winnings

"That's FRONK-en-steen."

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Tomfoolery posted:

THis is terrible and child abuse. Zelda was a mediocre game when it came out, hasn't aged well (all of its sequels suck, too) and dramatically better metroidvania games exist. Dark souls is 10000% a better game and I would have respected him if he named his daughter Dark Sun Gwyndolin or Anastacia of Astora. Even Samus would be a better name for a child, and the suit could help protect her from pathogens damaging to young children.

Yes this is significantly more effort than a lovely triforce but the metroid suit would lead to a much better, more fulfilling childhood. I named my daughter "Chosen Undead" and her classmates have had nothing but respect for the classic and enduring IP behind her name.

This is obviously the BEST choice, but a close second is choosing something almost needlessly obscure. If I have another daughter someday, I intend to push for “Ithbal” from this really cool (goon-written?) story called The Beribboned Door over in the video game hoaxes thread.

That way when she eventually gets social media, “Ithbal follows you” will be RIGHT THERE BUILT IN.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

GORDON posted:

"That's FRONK-en-steen."

I think you mean FRONK-en-steen's monster.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Karia posted:

I think you mean FRONK-en-steen's monster.

Ha!

Sedagive.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tomfoolery posted:

lomarf

based username/post combo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My family lineage is Italian and we have a last name that is apparently does exist in Italy, meaning it's probably an original and not one my ancestors changed when coming to America like five or six generations ago. We're 100% Americanized at this point, nobody in my parent's generation of the family speaks Italian on either side of the family, nor do any of their offspring. So this situation probably relates to me. It's a name that exists in the home country, and there is a significant possibility we aren't pronouncing it correctly. And it's always been a difficult one to pronounce. In school every time a teacher did roll call on the first day of the school year, at some point they'd read my first name and then pause with an obvious uncertainty, and I'd just raise my hand.

So, tbh if an actual from-Italy Italian told me "nah dawg, here's how you pronounce your name" not only would I accept it, I'd probably start doing it from then on.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Tomfoolery posted:

His behavior is absolutely terrible and abusive but Zelda is actually really good and cool and it's nice how things can be simultaneously awesome but also bad when lovely people ruin them.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Bamabalacha posted:

If someone corrected me I'd probably just say "cool, thanks!" and change the topic.

Chomp8645 posted:

So, tbh if an actual from-Italy Italian told me "nah dawg, here's how you pronounce your name" not only would I accept it, I'd probably start doing it from then on.

Yeah, it was a dick move to tell the guy in the first place, but I can see how it could be intended as a good gesture (Although I don't believe the poster intended it that way, tbh). And it was definitely a dick move to double down on the wrong pronunciation rather than go "Oh cool".

Even if you want to double down on it, you can say something like "Thanks, that's honestly really interesting and I'm glad you told me, but I'm fond of how I'm already saying it, even if it's wrong"

I think it says a lot about the guy that he started calling him a jackass and saying he was wrong right off the bat. Rather than, you know, asking how he knew it and getting full knowledge first. But then I don't expect Patrick Bateman to express even the slightest bit of curiosity.

Actually, wait. I do. Even Bateman would have handled it better, even if he had a breakdown in the bathroom afterwards.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 18, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

My family lineage is Italian and we have a last name that is apparently does exist in Italy, meaning it's probably an original and not one my ancestors changed when coming to America like five or six generations ago. We're 100% Americanized at this point, nobody in my parent's generation of the family speaks Italian on either side of the family, nor do any of their offspring. So this situation probably relates to me. It's a name that exists in the home country, and there is a significant possibility we aren't pronouncing it correctly. And it's always been a difficult one to pronounce. In school every time a teacher did roll call on the first day of the school year, at some point they'd read my first name and then pause with an obvious uncertainty, and I'd just raise my hand.

could prolly pay a native italian english translator to get an answer on this front for like 20 bux

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The manager was pronouncing their last name correctly and the polish fluent rear end in a top hat is wrong. At this point it's not a Polish word, it's a Polish loanword that's been through several generations of anglicization.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Plenty of folks "correct" my mother's first name, they're wrong and deserve throat punches. Are last names any different?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Bruceski posted:

Plenty of folks "correct" my mother's first name, they're wrong and deserve throat punches. Are last names any different?

I have a strange way that my surname is spelled, a common scottish surname turned dutch. I have, on occasion, had people ask "Are you sure?" when I've spelled my name out for them since it contains two a's together.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

alexandriao posted:

Yeah, it was a dick move to tell the guy in the first place, but I can see how it could be intended as a good gesture (Although I don't believe the poster intended it that way, tbh). And it was definitely a dick move to double down on the wrong pronunciation rather than go "Oh cool".

It’s not a dick move to get annoyed when someone “well, actually”s your own god drat name. A lot of last names aren’t pronounced “correctly” since they’re often attached to families who haven’t spoken the language their name crawled out of in generations. It’s not wrong at that point, it’s just the name.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I love when people try to correct my pronunciation of Lacroix sparkling water from "la croy" to "la kwah". Nope rear end in a top hat it's named "La croy" after the St. Croix river in Wisconsin which is pronounced "Croy". Also you're on the losing side of a battle about the pronunciation of flavored sparkling water and are literally the worst person to ever live.

Same with Bulleit. You think it's "Buleigh"? No, it's "Bullet", after the dude's last name, like what you should have in your head right now for being both lovely at pronunciation and also at life. The worst thing, is that Bulleit isn't even any good. Their rye especially is sourced from a factory that used to make Seagram's.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

His behavior is absolutely terrible and abusive but Zelda is actually really good and cool and it's nice how things can be simultaneously awesome but also bad when lovely people ruin them.

Maybe if yoyu were good at video games you would play better games, like Dark Souls or Final Fantasy 7. Any child can beat Final Fantasy 7 but you really need an impressively large brain to truly grasp the intricacies of its plot.

Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 18, 2020

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Yeah, as someone with a last name that has as least three major regional pronunciations, gently caress that guy. My last name is technically French, but has been Anglicized over many generations. His pronunciation is correct, Polish dude is an rear end in a top hat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nah. My last name is german as all gently caress. My family is American and I speak German. Pretty quickly in the process of learning the language j resized we pronounce it slightly wrong. Not crazy but there are some vowel sounds that aren’t right.

I’m not going to correct my family because some of those people are saying it the way they’ve been saying it for 80 years and probably heard it from THEIR grandparents.

When I’m in Germany or speaking German? Sure. I’ll say it the “right” way then because frankly it flows better. But in English back to our Americanized pronunciation.

See also: place names. If I’m speaking German I’ll say Köln. If I’m speaking English I’ll say Cologne. Someone who walks around speaking American native speaker English and lays hard on the “PAH-REE” when talking about their study abroad in Paris is annoying.

Basically people can do what the gently caress they want with how they say their own drat name and if you try to tell them that’s wrong you’re a prick.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tomfoolery posted:

I love when people try to correct my pronunciation of Lacroix sparkling water from "la croy" to "la kwah". Nope rear end in a top hat it's named "La croy" after the St. Croix river in Wisconsin which is pronounced "Croy". Also you're on the losing side of a battle about the pronunciation of flavored sparkling water and are literally the worst person to ever live.

Same with Bulleit. You think it's "Buleigh"? No, it's "Bullet", after the dude's last name, like what you should have in your head right now for being both lovely at pronunciation and also at life. The worst thing, is that Bulleit isn't even any good. Their rye especially is sourced from a factory that used to make Seagram's.

I say la craw, what are you gonna do about it?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
this thread has helped me discover that what i thought was my family's americanized pronunciation of our surname is actually correct in italian, and everyone who insists it has an awl sound after I introduce myself is a loving rear end in a top hat :unsmith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting upset that my wife's 7 year old daughter basically ruined our wedding day?

Something's up with this kid, and she needs therapy immediately to figure it out.

No mention of her biological father. I wonder if he was abusive so she's very afraid of having a new male figure in the household.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Your name is pronounced exactly the way you think it's pronounced, everyone who pronounces it differently is wrong. It's your name, not theirs.

If your name is pronounced differently from what the people around you infer when they see it written, you might need to put up with correcting them as to the actual pronunciation, but you're still right and they're still wrong.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I went to high school with a guy with the name Richard (pronounced) Reshard. At homecoming, he was announced as so and so Reshard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ritchard :ughh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hawowanlawow posted:

Call you a french crow

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

hawowanlawow posted:

I pronounce it La Croyks

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Danaru posted:

I pronounce it La Croyks

I pronounce it “Kirkland Signature Sparkling Water.”

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not a dick move to get annoyed when someone “well, actually”s your own god drat name. A lot of last names aren’t pronounced “correctly” since they’re often attached to families who haven’t spoken the language their name crawled out of in generations. It’s not wrong at that point, it’s just the name.

It is a dick move if your bosses around. You don't flip out at someone straight off the bat, at least try to keep things civil.

It's a sign of a deeper problem imo, that they can't even try to keep things civil and go from 0 - 100

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
On the one hand, you can pronounce your name however the heck you want, that's kind of the reason they call it your name.

On the other, I also get supper annoyed whenever a German "von" name appears in American media and everyone refers to them as "Edgar vaughn Humpeding" or whatever, even the people with terrible fake German accent. There's no vocalization in the word that doesn't also appear in English.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My EX GF is jealous of my Wife and Children

quote:

This is a Throwaway.

For backstory: For 4 years I (29M) dated my EX (26F) until we lost interest in each other and broke up. My Wife (29F) and my 3 Children (4F, 3F, 1M) of 6 years recently moved into a nice house in the suburbs. It is very similar to the type of house my EX and I had planned to raise a family in. On to the actual story:

2 Months ago Me, my Wife, And our 3 Children moved into a nice, 5Bed 2Bath 2 story house. We settled in comfortably and just fine. I had noticed that the house was exactly like the house my EX and I had talked about for raising a family in. We didn't talk about a specific house, but we had gone into extreme detail about the things we wanted in it (2 story, big yard, nice kitchen, built in swimming pool, great neighborhood, great view, etc.) It was even on private property like my EX and I had dreamed of.

Anyways my Wife posted several pics of the property on Social Media to brag a bit, and my EX saw it... She called me crying, saying that how dare I rub her dream house in her face, blah blah blah. I told her sorry but my Wife really likes this house. My EX asked how I could afford it (I am an Accountant, and make good money, but also had unsuccessfully ran for the State House in my state twice, and after both failed elections combined, I had about 690K left in my savings from the Campaign Fundraising) my EX knew this but thought I had blown the money. I explained to her and she called me a douche for not helping her out with all that money as she was financially unstable. I hung up, and thought that was it. WRONG the next day, my friends and random people harrass me about how my EX was so hurt that I lived the life we had planned together with someone else. I told them that it was my EXs idea to break up, and so they began to say: "Well you could have at least given her the leftover fundraised money from your FAILURE Campaigns!" I told them to shove it and I didnt want anything to do with her or them.

My Wife has since been Guilty about everything. She has told me that if she hadn't picked this house that our lives could get on. I told her it wasn't her fault at all and that it was my EXs fault for being too sensitive.

TL;DR My Wife and I move into Dream House, only for my EX to lash out, saying that it was supposed to be our life together, is jealous of Wife.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Your complaint is that they don't pronounce it "fawn," or something else?

Wedding guy undoubtedly left out the backstory of his stepdaughter's biological father because he doesn't see how it's relevant. His story is about him and his wedding, not Cinderella's old dad.

Aita for telling my pregnant wife to stop eating my food?

quote:

So my (25m) wife (24f) are having triplets. My wife needs to eat alot which i understand but i also need too. Since i was around 11 i started to have stomach problems and combine that with a metabolism that is 2x faster than the normal "fast metabolism" it caused me to be underweight. Im 6'2 190lbs but ive lost 13 pounds. This is because my wife eats all my food. If she craves a cheeseburger i will order an extra or 2 for her and she will eat them, but then leach off my food. I tell her that she already ate but she says "im pregnant youre not" then eats some of my food. Ive even tried to order larger amounts of my food so if she eats off my plate i will still have extra but it doesn't work she will still eat almost half of my food. Now i wouldnt be mad if it was every so often but its every meal. The only time i can eat full meals fit for a 6'2 person is in the car when my wife is at home or when im eating at my parents when she is home. So yesterday i had ordered red lobster, and i got her king crab legs,biscuits and a bowl of mash (that she asked for) and i got myself surf and terf (steak and lobster) with biscuits,salad and fries.So as im eating i had to go to the bathroom (because of my stomach problems) and find half of my steak gone and all my crutons gone with my wife stuffing her face. This was the last straw and i got pissed. I yelled (ngl it was loud) for her to eat her own food and stop eating mine. I then told her if she wants more food make it or ask me to make it. This set her off and she started crying and ran to the room. I told her i was sorry but she didnt want to talk.

I know i shouldn't of had yelled that loud at her and may be TA but i always got depressed or sad for a couple days every time i lost weight since i was 11 so i always was conscious of my weight. Even though im still in the "healthy weight" it still bothers me and i guess thats what triggered my reaction. Aita reddit?

Edit: i have already tried making or ordering more food but i still cant seem to find where she feels like she is full. It also sucks because i have to eat every hour to maintain my weight so i have to constantly cook and order food for myself and also her.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
committing campaign finance fraud to own my EX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

I went to high school with a guy with the name Richard (pronounced) Reshard. At homecoming, he was announced as so and so Reshard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ritchard :ughh:

there should be a rule that if you publically want to make fun of someone's name, you have to post your own equally dumb name