Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Heath posted:

Did my choice of words hit a nerve?

Lol no it’s funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"Adjacent" is a word that just needs the Old Yeller treatment at this point.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"Adjacent" is a word that just needs the Old Yeller treatment at this point.

Why?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Because phrases like "YA-adjacent" are absolute gibberish with the elegance of a three-legged race.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
So are you taking issue with what I said, or with how I phrased it? Those are two different criticisms.

The edit you just made would suggest the problem was inelegance, so go ahead and suggest something better to me.

Heath fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 18, 2020

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well in this case I'm glad I missed IJ-chat this time.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Hey, why DO a lot of contemporary novels read like YA books? My wife was lent Little Fires Everywhere and I made it to page 60 before realizing this is a book for babies. I should have known better than to trust the Reese Witherspoon seal of approval.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heath posted:

So are you taking issue with what I said, or with how I phrased it? Those are two different criticisms.

The edit you just made would suggest the problem was inelegance, so go ahead and suggest something better to me.
It's nonsense that is also phrased terribly. I can't offer a better way to articulate what's barely identifiable as an idea to begin with.

The North Tower posted:

Hey, why DO a lot of contemporary novels read like YA books? My wife was lent Little Fires Everywhere and I made it to page 60 before realizing this is a book for babies. I should have known better than to trust the Reese Witherspoon seal of approval.
Capitalism.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

The North Tower posted:

Pretty sure it's the result of authors being churned out of BFA Creative Writing programs all being taught the same emotionally stunted writing. I'm quite certain you could excerpt passages from any of these NYT Bestseller type of books and nobody would be able to tell which came from which book.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I’ve thought about it and I do like the idea of eating a book someone likes but I couldn’t tell you why

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's very sexy. I'm horny for it.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

The North Tower posted:

Harry Potter sold five hundred million copies and created a generation of readers who never read or write anything else.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

harry potter is the worst. i hate that boy wizard.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

harry potter is the worst. i hate that boy wizard.

I found it enjoyable when I was a child. I see no reason to go back. Or go to Florida to go to a loving theme park about it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there any real (modern) literature with wizards in it?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Once and Future King?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Is any fantasy good? Besides the Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Once and Future King?

Thinking about Le Morte d'Arthur was why I put in modern. But you're cheating!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Thinking about Le Morte d'Arthur was why I put in modern. But you're cheating!

I forgot about chivalric romances for good fantasy. Roland killing 10k moors with a single blow, dynasty warriors-style.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The North Tower posted:

I forgot about chivalric romances for good fantasy. Roland killing 10k moors with a single blow, dynasty warriors-style.

Should've concentrated on the Basques though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's nonsense that is also phrased terribly. I can't offer a better way to articulate what's barely identifiable as an idea to begin with.

Then I'll elaborate. For a period of about a year or so it was fashionable among online book discussion circles that could inelegantly be called "the blogosphere," for lack of something more cohesive, in which DFW became a proxy for a sort of "lit bro" stereotype, very often talking not about the work itself or any quality of it (while simultaneously criticizing these same guys as not having read the work themselves, even if that's probably true of many) but rather the type of guy that would read or recommend DFW - or if they did talk about the work, it was prefaced with an anecdote about some piece of poo poo who was really into DFW but was also predatory, just to set the stage for what's really being talked about here.

As is typical, these articles were shared basically everywhere in which books were a topic of discussion (you might say book-adjacent spaces) and filtered their way through to the Twittersphere in which every college sophomore was sharing her personal story about how DFW and more specifically the people who ever read, enjoyed, thought about, or didn't explicitly disavow him were abusive shitheads, and the common factor was the novel Infinite Jest, a book that I'm pretty convinced that only 4 or 5 people have actually read at this point, because nobody seems to have anything to say about anything in the book, just the physical object itself (it's very large, you see.) These same Twitterspheres, in my experience, seem to be heavily populated by a group of people who limit themselves to consuming solely "young adult" literature; hence, my phrasing which, yes, sucked, but I don't often draft my posts on SA.

I suspect you knew all of that already, since you made sure to go back in and edit that the phrasing lacked elegance, so you wouldn't put yourself in the awkward position of having to defend or deny the existence of a contingent of people who limit their reading solely to "young adult" or "genre" literature that won't challenge them (one of the very reasons this thread exists in the first place), and make sure your sarcastic bitchposting was based on aesthetic merits, because I suspect also that we probably don't disagree that there is a culture of readers out there whose sole mission is to performatively exalt or disavow authors based on who likes them rather than anything in the work itself.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

All of which DFW would have been horribly ashamed and regretful of, had he lived. I'm not sure to what degree that zeitgeist came about because of his suicide, but he would have hated that too.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I love lit bros as a concept. You know those guys who read 1,000 page books? What a bunch of bros, amiright?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Seems to be fairly high-key.

Depends on whether that was from the Greater or the Lesser Key, doesn't it?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Melquíades in One Hundred Years of Solitude might qualify as a wizard?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yikes to all of this, yikes.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin? About a time travelling healer.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

imagine having 2 eat all those books

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Melquíades in One Hundred Years of Solitude might qualify as a wizard?

You know I read that a few years ago and I can't say I remember basically anything about the actual story, other than the fact that 75% of the characters had the same name. Now that you mentioned Melquíades I remember there was a guy but drat if I can remember if he did any magicking.

I tend to forget most of the content of books I didn't like. (I liked La mala hora though.)

thehoodie posted:

Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin? About a time travelling healer.

I'll have to check that one out :tipshat:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It is I, the lit bro

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What I get from this is only Anglophone white men count as white men.

Anyway I got nine, five of which I inherited from my great aunt. AMA.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What I get from this is only Anglophone white men count as white men.

Anyway I got nine, five of which I inherited from my great aunt. AMA.

how horrible of a boyfriend was ur great aunt

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nut posted:

how horrible of a boyfriend was ur great aunt

She was great :shrug:

Also a member of the book club.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
That list of books makes no goddamn sense

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heath posted:

I suspect you knew all of that already, since you made sure to go back in and edit that the phrasing lacked elegance, so you wouldn't put yourself in the awkward position of having to defend or deny the existence of a contingent of people who limit their reading solely to "young adult" or "genre" literature that won't challenge them (one of the very reasons this thread exists in the first place), and make sure your sarcastic bitchposting was based on aesthetic merits, because I suspect also that we probably don't disagree that there is a culture of readers out there whose sole mission is to performatively exalt or disavow authors based on who likes them rather than anything in the work itself.
Not really, no. I posted hastily and edited hastily (about ten seconds later; I don't know why you keep saying I deviously went back to cover my rear end after the fact when there wasn't even time for the "hosed around" message to appear) because I'm at work.

The "x-adjacent" formula is one I've seen a lot online in the past few years and offends me on both rhetorical and aesthetic grounds. It dresses up free association in the guise of a dispassionate spatial relationship – your post itself illustrates this, as there is no real connection between "people who hate DFW because of a bad date" and "people who make a political point of reading children's books" beyond their tendency to be middle-class millennial white women – and it does so by bolting target and relationship together in a cumbersome adjectival construction that reads like badly translated German. It's just poo poo all around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That list of books makes no goddamn sense

I know; if I were an edgy Anglo writing something like that, I'd include Wodehouse.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am adjacent to trace naziism

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am adjacent to trace naziism

We’re all Doobie and Grover-adjacent.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The North Tower posted:

I love lit bros as a concept. You know those guys who read 1,000 page books? What a bunch of bros, amiright?

Yeah, pretty much. The idea that "literally all white men" own 100 books is giving 99% of white men way too much credit.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I know; if I were an edgy Anglo writing something like that, I'd include Wodehouse.

Also Bukowski.

But still, this essay from Heath's op does a decent job of articulating misogyny in the literary world: https://electricliterature.com/men-recommend-david-foster-wallace-to-me/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Who owns a Tucker Max book and a second book