Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

oh poo poo apostrophes are hosed UP man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Grem posted:

Happy accident. It works like an alien language.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

there was a smudge on my screen and it made Shida look like she was blushing.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1273708727346974720
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1273709084336742400

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Gavok posted:

Double or Nothing 2021 ends with Ricky decisively defeating Brodie Lee. Afterwards, he punches down a wall, looks to all the members of the Dark Order, and shouts, "YOU ARE ALL FREE NOW!"

Well done, I lol'd

I tried describing how good yesterday's ep was to a semi savvy friend and I get rel self conscious about it sometimes.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/TheBrandiRhodes/status/1273710562027819008

I’m just remembering that one BTE or Road To where they had “THIRST TRAPS” on the whiteboard

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't know if I could say last night was the best Dynamite thus far but I do think it goes on the mountain. There wasn't a dud in the matches, the connective tissue was as tight as it's ever been, and it was just plain loving good. The only thing that wasn't 100% what I wanted is that I really wanted Cody to be up against WARHORSE, to the point that I muted him on Twitter to be sure I wouldn't have it spoiled, but I don't even mind that because Ricky was really good and I'm glad he was signed. Even the few cutaways to Jake Röhm Hager didn't ruin it for me.

As for Fyter Fest, I'm not sure it will matter if OC beats Jericho or not, I think the match itself secures him in the uppermost level of the roster. I am sure that it's time for Cowboy Bebop to drop the belts to Best Friends and for Chuckie to get to say poo poo. I love what Bebop have done but I think the time is right.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Rarity posted:

People need to stop confusing Cody heeling cause he's working with babyface challengers with Cody turning heel

One part I really liked in his Jungle Boy match was that both of them went into the "heel tactics" playbook, with Cody holding the figure four during the referee's five count and Jungle Boy throwing hard punches right where Cody was cut open.

They're putting the TNT Championship itself over pretty well, so whoever gets it next will get a huge boost. (And I hope it goes to someone who could use it.)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grem posted:

if you PM a mod they can usually put in a fix for you for free

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

rantmo posted:

I don't know if I could say last night was the best Dynamite thus far but I do think it goes on the mountain. There wasn't a dud in the matches, the connective tissue was as tight as it's ever been, and it was just plain loving good. The only thing that wasn't 100% what I wanted is that I really wanted Cody to be up against WARHORSE, to the point that I muted him on Twitter to be sure I wouldn't have it spoiled, but I don't even mind that because Ricky was really good and I'm glad he was signed. Even the few cutaways to Jake Röhm Hager didn't ruin it for me.

Agreed. I think there have been individual episodes that I've enjoyed more, and certainly individual matches from episodes that I have enjoyed more (the PAC/Kenny iron man match sticks out as just one of the most enjoyable times I've spent watching wrestling) but in terms of consistency this ranks as one of the most beginning-to-end good shows. None of the matches fell flat (even Billy vs MJF which could have been nothing ended up being fun nothing), we got a lot of story built quickly in a lot of directions but nothing felt rushed, and we introduced two new characters who intrigue me.

I've been on the Ricky Starks train for a minute after seeing him on a bunch of the early NWA shows and again on Sammy's vlog, and he gave the audition match of his career. I bit a couple of times on the idea of him just arriving, raising hell, and grabbing a title his first night in the company. His video package was super solid, and I'm looking forward to him getting some decent promo time.

Now Abadon just intrigues me. I like that she's come in with a solid gimmick, her match against Shida back in March was really good, and I'd love to see her come up against more of the women's division. Can't wait to see what the Dark Order have in store for Anna Jayy too.

After a run of pre-DoN shows that felt just a little like "all right, time to build that card", this felt like purposeful creative storytelling.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I liked Ricky's video package but when he came out from backstage he immediately gave me Sean Spears vibes and I don't know why. He can definitely wrestle better than Sean so that's good but I'll need to see more of him to come to a conclusion.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
did some digging, couldn't really find much about Abadon aside from a couple highlight videos, she had a strap twice in Rocky Mountain Pro wrasslin', a little indie fed

they should just immediately start heavy duty training to tighten up her fundamentals, but what she DOESN'T have is any kind of hesitation or shyness about being her gimmick and inflicting violence on people, which to me is where the women's division competitors always feel a bit exposed

like there's a snippet in her highlight vid where she's got someone against a ring post with a chain wrapped around their neck yanking on it with that monster scream going on and she looks absolutely loving badass, heavy looking strikes, likes to do surprise counters and stuff, she'll be awesome when she's seasoned up a bit and in matches with people who work with her gimmick correctly (Shida played off of her perfectly, that's why we even care who she is)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rocky Mountain Pro's most notable accomplishment was Russo booked for them and the TV was so terrible it got pulled. I'm surprised they're still in business.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I enjoyed JR being utterly flabbergasted at Abaddon's entrance, just like "I have no idea what I'm looking at, send help"

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I enjoyed JR being utterly flabbergasted at Abaddon's entrance, just like "I have no idea what I'm looking at, send help"

Then he talked about their weight.

Get him the gently caress off TV

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I hope Abbadon continues to lick faces and it's sold like it has a paralytic effect

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I watched one of the RMP matches Abadon has on YouTube, it was adequate I guess--I really have no particular memory of the details but I recall she acquitted herself well in it--my open question with her though is going to be what sort of agility she has or can develop for selling. Butcher, for example, doesn't have the agility to sell big, flashy moves but it doesn't matter because he's a massive hoss with an incredible look (contrast with Cage who is massive and can sell the crazy poo poo.) Abadon has the look down but she's so short I don't know if she'll have the same leeway. Still, I'm really happy they signed her because she is neat.

ARMBAR A COP posted:

That was s-tier JR cringe. He knew he hosed up too and his attempt to course correct made it so much worse.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Yeah, that was uncalled for on his part. I cringed.

Regarding Abadon's fundamentals, she needs some seasoning but her strikes look good enough that I hope she adopts a straight up brawling style. The women's division is light on shitkicking brawlers and I think it'd be a good fit for her gimmick.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

rantmo posted:

I watched one of the RMP matches Abadon has on YouTube, it was adequate I guess--I really have no particular memory of the details but I recall she acquitted herself well in it--my open question with her though is going to be what sort of agility she has or can develop for selling. Butcher, for example, doesn't have the agility to sell big, flashy moves but it doesn't matter because he's a massive hoss with an incredible look (contrast with Cage who is massive and can sell the crazy poo poo.) Abadon has the look down but she's so short I don't know if she'll have the same leeway. Still, I'm really happy they signed her because she is neat.

Being a no-selling wrestling zombie worked for the Undertaker

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Rarity posted:

Being a no-selling wrestling zombie worked for the Undertaker

True, but I'm thinking more along the lines of leaving her feet for selling ranas and the like, which the women's division is awash in. She should be a striker grappler for sure and she's got a lower center of gravity than the rest of the division so she can base all sorts of cool poo poo, I just hope she can work well with the rest of the division.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rantmo posted:

She had a match on DARK with Shida pre covid, she did a satellite headscissor takedown, and her bumping looked fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNNOLR2-dkc

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Plus a lot of these things can be taught or honed or improved. AEW has some great trainers working with their talent already.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lamuella posted:

Plus a lot of these things can be taught or honed or improved. AEW has some great trainers working with their talent already.

Jerry Lynn is gonna seriously make the entire WWEPC look like the pile of dogshit it is when he's making stars on national tv

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In case anyone's not been following the social media thread BritWres is having a big MeToo moment with lots of allegations about stars including many from NXT UK and also AEW's Jimmy Havoc

https://twitter.com/katsandcrows/status/1273741835362582532

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Wow what a show. A bit of a slow start, but once it got going...whew!

First match was ok. Always a pleasure to see Omega and Hangman do their thing. Closing Time is a cool move, it looks great.

Abadon was a great bit of old school shock :eek:

Love the Dark Order theatrics, I can't wait for the inevitable civil war.

MJF is wonderful. Him and Billy had a ton of fun ring energy, and the way he mugged for the camera while putting the ring on had me "lol"ing. Aubrey stood out here too. I love how she takes no poo poo. The brawl was fun. The one ref being carried around by Luther was hilarious.

Brit Baker's character cracks me up every time. When Swole stole her away I cackled like an idiot.

I love Cody's Johnny Cage-rear end bullshit, and I don't care what anyone says! Then, oh drat it's Ricky Starks! Electric match, real fluid and exciting, interupted only by repeated shots of Jake "Shovelface" Hager leering vacantly at the monitor :rolleyes:

Superbad Squad has come a long way, they looked good tonight. Ultimately, tho, they were outclassed by the ever enjoyable Bucks. Side note, love how Butcher and Blade dressed like droogs.

Best Friends vs. Le Sex Gods was high octane all the way through, a TON if fun, even though Jerich looked a little slow. I did have a good laugh when Jericho crashed into the crowd, and in the distance you could hear him scream, "I HATE YOU PINEAPPLE PETE!"

Wow, and there are my :words: about wrasslin'. Can't wait for Fyter Fest.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/katsandcrows/status/1273741835362582532

Jimmy Havoc is no longer Elite

discussion thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928394

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TD_Parker/status/1273708819822989314

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hahaha

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

holy poo poo lol

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

lmfao

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Can’t say I’m really that surprised. Disappointed, yeah. And sad, because I’ve enjoyed his stuff in AEW. But definitely not surprised./

Really hoping PAC doesn’t turn out to have been Always Bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

I don’t know for sure but Vince is notorious for not caring to know anything about anything outside his domain

Happy to say he knows less and less every month.

Pylons posted:

According to Meltzer, Ricky was a try-out match and Big Biceps Tony offered him a contract once he got backstage.

I thought he said Ricky was already signed but they were so impressed with how his debut was going they immediately started workshopping ideas for a more long-term storyline for him?

Glorious :allears:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I thought he said Ricky was already signed but they were so impressed with how his debut was going they immediately started workshopping ideas for a more long-term storyline for him?

nah it was a tryout

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1273501779905466370?s=20

but according to dave it went so well everyone got excited and started throwing around ideas for him before the match was even done

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think my favorite thing about AEW is how much fun it’s clear everyone is having doing it. The whole organization actually feels like it’s own self-contained ecosystem in a way I don’t know I’ve seen another promotion pull off before.

Everything feels like it built from somewhere, and has little intangible impacts on everything else on the show.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Can’t say I’m really that surprised. Disappointed, yeah. And sad, because I’ve enjoyed his stuff in AEW. But definitely not surprised./

Really hoping PAC doesn’t turn out to have been Always Bad.

I'm mostly concerned about Hangman. He seems like a good guy, but that doesn't mean anything, and he's young enough to have done super lovely stuff in this shiny new amazing world. Not that it would justify it, just saying that otherwise decent people are more likely to make bad decisions and hurt other people when their life is in a whirlwind.

If Kenny was a sexual predator, I wouldn't know how to handle that, but OTOH I'm pretty sure the only things he loves in life are Kota, video games, and wrestling.

I'll fully admit that's because they're my two favorites on the roster, though, and obviously I hope nobody else on the roster has done anything like that just because the less that happens the better.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm mostly concerned about Hangman. He seems like a good guy, but that doesn't mean anything, and he's young enough to have done super lovely stuff in this shiny new amazing world. Not that it would justify it, just saying that otherwise decent people are more likely to make bad decisions and hurt other people when their life is in a whirlwind.

If Kenny was a sexual predator, I wouldn't know how to handle that, but OTOH I'm pretty sure the only things he loves in life are Kota, video games, and wrestling.

I'll fully admit that's because they're my two favorites on the roster, though, and obviously I hope nobody else on the roster has done anything like that just because the less that happens the better.

Kenny unknowingly (?) hired a pedophile to set up the ring and do a dark match at last years Fyter Fest. He said he'd never met the guy and didn't know, turns out they'd met before and Bix found a pic, but I also think it's possible Kenny just didn't remember the guy. He owned it afterward on Twitter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

??????

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kenny unknowingly (?) hired a pedophile to set up the ring and do a dark match at last years Fyter Fest. He said he'd never met the guy and didn't know, turns out they'd met before and Bix found a pic, but I also think it's possible Kenny just didn't remember the guy. He owned it afterward on Twitter.

It wasn't Fyter Fest, it was CEOxNJPW the year before that. The guy is part of a wrestling school in Florida and I guess a lot of people use that school for similar things because they have their own ring. Really his only mistake (if he is to be believed) is that he allowed people from the ring crew to do a dark match without vetting them first. Here's what Kenny said about it:

quote:

“Here it is: I produced all matches from dark match #2 on. I gave the ring crew (also a wrestling school) carte Blanche to have our first dark. No entrances,no name graphics. And thus they had a match. I met Chasyn once in 2004 so his name was familiar. The other guy I’d never met. Regardless of their history or whatever, this crew of people were all very helpful in set up, tear down, and various odd jobs around the arena. I’d felt giving them the opportunity to have a dark match was the least I could do as a way to show appreciation. I’m gutted that people feel betrayed by their involvement, but at no point did I feel I was working with criminals or anything of the sort. As I’d said earlier, they were nothing but polite and helpful throughout the entire experience. I’ll know better for next time to only use those I’m absolutely familiar/comfortable with.”

And his follow up:
https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1013155129267286016?s=20

I've never heard anything bad about Hangman and he was a school teacher before he got into wrestling so it seems to me like he's a lot more centered than those people who roll right into wrestling at 19 and it's their whole life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gavok posted:

Double or Nothing 2021 ends with Ricky decisively defeating Brodie Lee. Afterwards, he punches down a wall, looks to all the members of the Dark Order, and shouts, "YOU ARE ALL FREE NOW!"

A good reference :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
they had the "Abadon is All Elite" post ready to go as soon as she debuted, but Ricky's was delayed. my feeling is they waited to see the reaction Ricky Starks got online before signing him.