Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Arivia posted:

nah, dedicated TNT button like the extra buttons in Doom Eternal

Oh, no more of those, please. I can just about handle WASD/use/reload plus the number row, anything more than that and my fingers start tripping over themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Blood (2025) won't need a reload button, so we can bind TNT to R.

Hasturtium posted:

Why wouldn't Caleb do executions?

I guess the question is more, what kind of executions will Caleb do?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SkeletonHero posted:

I guess the question is more, what kind of executions will Caleb do?

Gallows and electric chair, but his actual favorite is guillotine.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Demo for Exophobia which is basically Mega Man the FPS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
does anyone know what uv-reality is that im now seeing on dsda

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

does anyone know what uv-reality is that im now seeing on dsda
Reality is a gimmick challenge in which you can't take damage (because getting shot would either kill or incapacitate you) and you can't use the Plasma Rifle or BFG (because they don't exist).

The Kins fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 18, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ah, okay ty

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

I've been thinking about this recently: If Blood were to get a Wolfenstein/Doom-esque modern update, what would you like to see in it? What tone/setting/style should it be? What mechanics would it be built around? Should Caleb do executions?

executions would be cool but I wouldnt want modern doom style arena fights. it should lean really hard into the weird nightmarish but slightly realistic tone of the original games levels and be about exploring and figuring out creative things to do with your weird guns and explosives

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
blood, but it's an immersive sim

also time travel, taking place from the 1700's in france during the napolenic wars to the far future on interplanetary colonies

also globe spanning, incorporating the folklore of other cultures into world and monster design

arsenal of weapons that range from russian bullpup rifles to muzzle loading colonial weapons all with occultish abilities

ETPC fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 18, 2020

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ETPC posted:

also time travel

also globe spanning, incorporating the folklore of other cultures into world and monster design

:yeshaha:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ETPC posted:

also time travel, taking place from the 1700's in france during the napolenic wars to the far future on interplanetary colonies

arsenal of weapons that range from russian bullpup rifles to muzzle loading colonial weapons all with occultish poo poo on them

I was sold on the first part, a little iffy on the second, and completely sold on the third. You added the fourth in there between me reading that and hitting quote, but yeah, absolutely.

I know why it's so rare, but I wish immersive sims were more common.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i've thought about this too much

i'd also steal a ton of ideas from nocturne, darkwatch and the World of Darkness tbqh

also it would target huge maps but with a late ps1/dreamcast/early ps2 aesthetic. all the assets would look comfortable on saaaaaaaay......a voodoo 3 or geforce 256 at the most

ETPC fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 18, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
one of the more obscure ribbiks offerings is based around the reality concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBUI-qxGI54

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i keep writing ideas instead of sleeping

game begins in 1800's austria. progression is 1940's italy, 1980's spain, 1990s russia, 2000's afghanistan, 2xxx dystopian megacity. ending is basically lv-426 with the serial numbers filed off

all weapons are kept through each time period

tone targets would be action first, horror second, dry comedy third

story would be a quasi-satire of "two factions, one wants to bring back the dark gods, one wants to destroy the dark gods" and caleb hates both and could not give less of a gently caress. they are both incompetent and awful. inevitably they get their asses kicked and you clean up the mess

*two* rocket launchers

ETPC fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 18, 2020

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ETPC posted:

*two* rocket launchers

well that's just guns akimbo ain't it

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

JerryLee posted:

well that's just guns akimbo ain't it

no

because then you get four rocket launchers :getin:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

al-azad posted:

Call me the worst because I just want a horror shooter, like Realms of the Haunting style slow paced shooter through creepy and surreal environments but I also understand this is totally antithetical to Blood which is like the Sonic the Hedgehog of 2.5d shooters.

I wouldn't want Blood to be that, but I would kill for a modern Realms of the Haunting style game with all the live-action cheese and bong puzzles intact.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/TheTrashbang/status/1272902862486605833

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
A modern Blood would be in the grindhouse style. A rob zombie directed game.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Napalm Launcher is probably one of my favorite rocket launcher-alikes and all I want out of a future Blood game is for Guns Akimbo to also give you infinite ammo so I can have moments where I have the Napalm Launcher and just hold down the fire key until the powerup runs out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Overbite posted:

The only remake aesthetic I think would feel true to the original would be claymation, tbh. Everything in Blood is goofy as hell and I love it

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Johnny Joestar posted:

even given my already-present dislike of the build games in general there's literally nothing positive i can say about shadow warrior and i feel like some people only laud it because of the association with its siblings that have markedly better aspects to them

I gave the original a chance when that free-to-play "Classic" version came out a few years back and I was consistently getting instakilled by an enemy I couldn't even see before he came up and blew up in my face in the second room of the first level so I'm definitely with you in not seeing what's so good about it, mostly by way of simply not being allowed to see 99% of it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

I would be super down for a grimy, '70s horror aesthetic.

Convex posted:

The only remake aesthetic I think would feel true to the original would be claymation, tbh. Everything in Blood is goofy as hell and I love it

I would be down for a goofy claymation horror style.

I'm just down for more Blood. :( I still need to pick up Dusk, I keep putting it off for stupid reasons even though it basically looks like everything I want in a shooter.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You've probably played it already, but can't recommend Blood's Death Wish enough. Most probably the strongest set of Build engine level sets.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 18, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You can't recommend it enough, right?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

You've probably played it already, but can't recommend Blood's Death Wish enough. Most probably the strongest set of Build engine level sets.

Honestly it's the best Build game, and that it's fully vanilla compatible is just amazing. I'm replaying it at the moment and it's just so consistently good, unlike pretty much every other shareware FPS which front loaded most of the good stuff in E1.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

gently caress yeah! Death Wish is just amazing, it's an absolutely stunning achievement in Build level design. There are plenty of other good Blood mods, but Death Wish feels like it should have been released as a genuine expansion.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i pray that now that Raze is a thing, some genius will finally make mapping tools for Blood/Duke 3D/SW/RR that are able to be used by humans in 2020. mapster32 needs to be taken behind a shed and put out of its misery

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Convex posted:

Agree 100% with this. I loved Duke3D but never really found it particularly fun to play properly as you die so quickly, so used to just stick on godmode and have fun exploring the levels.

Duke3D was not as good a game as Doom even at the time.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Duke3D was not as good a game as Doom even at the time.

I sure hope you know what road you’re headed down.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

The correct one; trolling around Duke3D in godmode was its ceiling as an actual fun game, and it's aged terribly while Doom has always been good

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hasturtium posted:

Yeah, Heavy Metal's gonna post at you for a bit.

(Doom was always better than Duke 3D though.)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The correct one; trolling around Duke3D in godmode was its ceiling as an actual fun game, and it's aged terribly while Doom has always been good

I like Doom more too. Doesn’t mean there won’t be a response from Duke people. And a few levels with dumb puzzles and too many drones aside, I like how Duke3D feels like you’re a badass dancing on a knife’s edge.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

I like Doom more too. Doesn’t mean there won’t be a response from Duke people. And a few levels with dumb puzzles and too many drones aside, I like how Duke3D feels like you’re a badass dancing on a knife’s edge.

I've never backed down from the important fights!

And as a person who played lots of Duke back in the day it hurts but I have to speak truth to Duke.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doom 1’s original three episodes I would agree on but I would replay Duke3D in its entirety before I ever touch Doom 2 again.

E: I’m pretty comfortable saying with no nostalgia glasses that LA Meltdown is the finest collection of first person levels that expertly hits every high note of exploration, Easter egg, scripted sequences, semi-open maps, and tight pacing. Doom is an overall more consistently good package but I will put LA Meltdown highest on any episodic FPS tier list.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 19, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

al-azad posted:

Doom 1’s original three episodes I would agree on but I would replay Duke3D in its entirety before I ever touch Doom 2 again.

That's wild because I thought the consensus was that Doom 2 was better than Doom generally for variety purposes/overall gameplay.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

That's wild because I thought the consensus was that Doom 2 was better than Doom generally for variety purposes/overall gameplay.

Doom 2 has better weapon and enemies, but most of its maps are pretty crappy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doom 2 is the greatest set of game development tools released to the public but the example maps that came with the disc leave a lot to be desired.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
LA Meltdown is fun enough and the only part of Duke 3D I particularly care to play except the final level. The Abyss is like, all of the worst traits of 90's shooter maps rolled into one giant brown mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
L.A. Meltdown is good, but Shrapnel City is better.