Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

actionjackson posted:

I declined to attend the dinner with my boomer parents - at least they respected that. They are still planning to possibly fly in September. I also had to yell at my mother not to go back to Curves.

lol, Curves “gyms” are always set up with all of the equipment in a small circle, it’s basically the worst setup for this because everyone is breathing at each other:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Zil posted:

So my brothers nurse girlfriend is currently being tested for covid after her co-worker tested positive this morning.

And they have now been quarantined for 14 days, which means he can't go to work and pay for his car/apartment.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

amc is probably begging for a trump bailout by picking a side in the mask war

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My parents, while generally rational, are insanely entitled boomers. My mother has a full pension from public school teaching so they just spend a ton on trips and poo poo. They live in a giant retirement condo (150 units) and everyone else there is an entitled white boomer (or older) too.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm hosed either way really. I can't take off, I have no income otherwise, and if I stay I'll eventually get the virus or we'll poo poo down.

I honestly do not see this resolving well no matter what, especially as long as the government is refusing to get us more money or to extend unemployment (which I didn't qualify for in the first place because of a really stupid bureaucratic reason).

We are still in the very early stages of this.

would you qualify for any charities specific to the food industry? id be willing to help donate to them if so.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://twitter.com/azcentral/status/1273669073608617986?s=20

quote:

As of Wednesday, 85% of current inpatient beds and 84% of ICU beds were in use for COVID-19 and other patients.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lol that bar is in my hometown. My sister's friend was there that night. One of the worst places I've ever been to, a combination of the trashiest Irish pub with the worst Florida beach bar

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

they're gonna speedrun the nyc infection

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, 27,900 cases on a Thursday and Louisiana and bunch of other states hasn’t even reported yet. It is accelerating. We will be back in April next week.

Edit: We May have been around 29-30k if all states had reported today.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Jun 19, 2020

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol wtf Hawaii and Alaska

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

a.lo posted:

why this a controversy only in the states?

it would have been a problem anyway but the health authorities hedged the benefits of masks for the general public against the inability of the us to procure masks for medical professionals. basically the early argument messaging about masks was schizophrenic and was focused on managing consumer behavior for mask hoarding over the actual public benefit of mask adoption. now we're hosed and it became a political issue and were in the coolzone

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, 27,900 cases on a Thursday and Louisiana and bunch of other states hasn’t even reported yet. It is accelerating. We will be back in April next week.

it’s going to be even worse because at least in April everyone got freaked out and it was confined mainly to large cities. 50% of the population thinks it is fake now, and it is everywhere.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
god fuckign dammit people

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I cannot loving believe Republicans stripped the governor of the power to declare a shutdown.

At what point does it become clear that this is biological terrorism?

We're living through the American Holodomor.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fosborb posted:

lol wtf Hawaii and Alaska

yeah Hawaii had 18 new cases today :(. worst in two months. the governor was like “well, we expected an increase from opening, so we are prepared.”. it’s still only 18 but it feels like a lot.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Stereotype posted:

it’s going to be even worse because at least in April everyone got freaked out and it was confined mainly to large cities. 50% of the population thinks it is fake now, and it is everywhere.

There was that chart I posted yesterday showing case rates in Trump vs Clinton counties, basically a proxy for urban/rural

Steady 45* line down for Clinton, exact opposite for Trump

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

it would have been a problem anyway but the health authorities hedged the benefits of masks for the general public against the inability of the us to procure masks for medical professionals. basically the early argument messaging about masks was schizophrenic and was focused on managing consumer behavior for mask hoarding over the actual public benefit of mask adoption. now we're hosed and it became a political issue and were in the coolzone

in hindsight the messaging where the president repeatedly told his followers that the virus was a made up dem hoax was also problematic

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We are about to find out what this would have looked like.

quote:

One study, published last week in the journal Nature, found that if large-scale shutdown policies -- such as ordering people to stay home and closing schools -- were not implemented after the coronavirus pandemic made its way to the United States, there would be roughly 60 million more coronavirus infections across the nation.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

We are about to find out what this would have looked like.

That's 600k deaths at a 1% IFR

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stereotype posted:

We had 120,000 deaths with only 2.2 million infected.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Stereotype posted:

Don't worry IFR is more like .5! Only 300k dead. Working hard, thank you!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Stereotype posted:

It will lead in Red states for a while and then blue states will join it and I don’t know if there will be a meaningful lockdown or if it happens only after everyone is already too afraid to leave their homes.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Stereotype posted:

now add in the deaths from overloaded hospitals

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ardennes posted:

It will lead in Red states for a while and then blue states will join it and I don’t know if there will be a meaningful lockdown or if it happens only after everyone is already too afraid to leave their homes.

There will not be any more lockdowns imo.

Maybe on a city level if it gets really bad somewhere, but not on a state level and not nationally

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
we're all getting the roni and we're gonna surf into hell with a party hat and a kazoo

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...=ob-fb-enus-580

Looks like Chicago's strain is most closely related to the original Chinese variants.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Population times infection rate times fatality rate

Since March it's been pretty clear we are gonna go with 330 mil x 60-70% so just plug in your guess for fatality rate and get ready

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

let me get a strain of that good good

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I can only imagine that the people who are not terrified by this look at a statistic like "60-70% of people will get this deadly virus" and decide "well it won't be me though"

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
We just had 2 people test positive in the homeless population -- but they don't live at the shelter I work at. Still, population says it all, it isn't like they are quarantined by shelter. Muwhahahhhajaaa

They are going to test 300 people and NOW ALL staff has to wear masks. I've been the only one wearing a mask for this entire time, so gently caress you all.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I only go in the shelter like 2 minutes a day because my primary job is off-site, but guess who gets to run the shelter when everyone else is sick or in lockdown? Ahahahahhaanaa

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
I feel completely goddamn insane

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

There is no stopping this poo poo at this point without a country wide shelter in place for like 2 months minimum

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Ardennes posted:

Edit: We May have been around 29-30k if all states had reported today.

poo poo is so god drat hosed, washington state is on the verge of trying to move king county (seattle) to the next open phase too.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pohl posted:

I only go in the shelter like 2 minutes a day because my primary job is off-site, but guess who gets to run the shelter when everyone else is sick or in lockdown? Ahahahahhaanaa

our local homeless orgs are facing the unique issue of having money to house people in apartments with cash paid up front, but no apartment managers or landlords will accept them because of credit checks and poo poo lmao, so until we magically find someone willing to house the homeless for FMR they either remain at huge risk in the shelter or camp out until it's discovered and cleared out :d2a:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

SKULL.GIF posted:

I cannot loving believe Republicans stripped the governor of the power to declare a shutdown.

At what point does it become clear that this is biological terrorism?

We're living through the American Holodomor.

it's killing minorities at a much higher rate too, it's loving genocide

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Friday's usually the biggest number of cases, can we hit 30K tomorrow?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Bip Roberts posted:

we're all getting the roni and we're gonna surf into hell with a party hat and a kazoo

oh? well i'm gonna dance my rear end off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll give it a few more days until I put forward my proposal to use that money to buy them all shotguns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
I must be dead, I must be, this has to be hell, there's no other explanation