Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Game of misery, piss and poo poo, authors giving themselves away already. New thread title possibly?

Yeah the new format is way more readable, I vote for sticking with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It's worse than that. I did some playing around with the character generator. Remember how the Cursed Bloodline patrician got a +1 occult? Turns out that that isn't just a free skill point, it's a free skill point that breaks caps. The Outsider is a Cursed Bloodline Patrician, but if we had created a character who was a cursed bloodline patrician, we could have had the same 3 occult to start off with as well.

So if you want to be a badboy spellcaster, don't play an occultist, play an aristocrat. Really.

Facedesk. CMON GAME.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
From here on out just imagine I posted "god drat this game fuckin sucks" after every update

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Just looked at chargen again. There's also occult detective for that +1 Occult and a different penalty.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Keldulas posted:

Just looked at chargen again. There's also occult detective for that +1 Occult and a different penalty.

That doesn't work as well, the Patrician gets occult as a class skill and can sink max points into it.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Well. Things are moving faster than I was expecting.
I'll be saving most of my :words: on that for next time.
Wouldn't want to dilute the worst of the Stygian Experience (tm) for fresh eyes.

...On a considerably less awful note, the bank teller?
You get different things depending on what you give him.
The academic item, I think it was a diploma, gives something you can actually benefit from.
Much later. When the cash bonus is nice but you probably don't need it. :v:
For everyone who isn't an academic, Rathsack can help you out.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That doesn't work as well, the Patrician gets occult as a class skill and can sink max points into it.

The more you tell me, the worse my opinion of the game grows. It just feels so badly thought out on every level.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'll agree, the test poster format is definitely better.

It shouldn't surprise me that a game like this wasn't exactly QA tested, but come on devs. It's the literal first fight in the game, and Blood Circle is one of a mage's starting spells. How do you not make sure it works properly?!

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
It's almost like they knew the spell was worthless and never used it....
Alternatively, they never playtested their own game, which I could also believe considering some of those Games on Steam released in the past five years.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I prefer the updates in thread to the test poster, but it looks like I'm in the minority. I'd just recommend making a banner or something for the update posts, otherwise it's fairly easy to miss them if you're just scrolling through the thread.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ancestry being ridiculously important in a Lovecraft game...

I don't mind either format but I second this.

Tevery Best posted:

I prefer the updates in thread to the test poster, but it looks like I'm in the minority. I'd just recommend making a banner or something for the update posts, otherwise it's fairly easy to miss them if you're just scrolling through the thread.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, if interested viewers prefer the test post that's fine. I'm kind of swings and roundabouts on the two formats. But something with a bit of pop to make updates clearer is appreciated. Even when I'm actually reading the other posts too. (Also helps avoid reading a reaction post to something I've not seen yet.)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

^^ I prefer the test post, but yeah, maybe adding some sort of banner would be nice?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm a big fan of the artstyle Ragnar Homsar uses for their Fire Emblem update banners

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

inscrutable horse posted:

^^ I prefer the test post, but yeah, maybe adding some sort of banner would be nice?
It doesn't even have to be a pretty picture or anything, the Three Houses LP just uses a big bright purple square.

Benstar
Aug 3, 2008
"Combat is a huge slog and should be avoided" seems like the kind of thing you can apply to the vast majority of crpgs out there

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I actually like CRPG RTWP combat

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

SirSamVimes posted:

I actually like CRPG RTWP combat

Me too.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Tag yourself. I'm "restlessness antics."

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I typically prefer in-thread updates since it’s easier to quote, but I’m fine either way. But definitely :bandwagon: for the banner idea. Doesn’t need to be fancy, just enough that it stands out from the surrounding text posts.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Let's Not Talk About Race

Between you and me this is the banner this game deserves. Why, you ask?

The Guide The Developers Posted on The Steam Forums posted:

What good can my companions be to me besides Combat?

They can perform the rest activities that their skills allow. For example Nameless Soldier can be very effective in the “Keep Watch” rest activity while you get to allocate your precious rest points on research or other activities. They can research spells, protect the party, make scientific discoveries and a variety of actions in the form of Rest Activities.

With the 1.0.3 patch they are also able to perform crafting which adds a lot of diversity to the actions they can commit. We always wanted the companions to perform skill checks as well but for the welfare of other systems, we had to cancel that feature.

Also they can be your friends. And in a world which has lost all hope, that may help.

Seriously, gently caress this game!

Lunatics! Racism! Violence! Hobos! Science! Poetry!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What
The
gently caress

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I feel like a good horror writer could make a good story with good social commentary about a blackface performer in the 20s who becomes consumed by his own racist caricature. This is not that story.

Since :sparkles:Kabbalah:sparkles: looks like it is going to be a part of this game, I'd like to announce that I went to Jewish school for eight whole years just so I could sperg endlessly at people about Jewish history/folklore/culture. So if people are interested in knowing how The Goyim Are loving It Up, I can give you allll the dirty details!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I went to Catholic school for 8 years and all I learned was guilt.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I went to Catholic school for 8 years and all I learned was guilt.

We tend to go for generalized anxiety over guilt. Also, Hell/the Devil isn't nearly as big a deal, and there's no original sin to drag you down.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

...That is not real. I refuse to accept an actual human being, in this day and age, actually thought of that, put it into their commercial game, and not once thought "Hey maybe this is a bad idea". I refuse.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Reading that update and sighing so hard all the breath leaves my body and I die

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's Lovecraft, racism was guaranteed to come up... Admittedly, I did not expect it to be in quite this way.

e: Apparently the developers are based in Turkey? Doesn't excuse the godawful stereotyping but I'd assume most people outside the US/post-colonialist Europe don't "get" why blackface is offensive (they sure as hell don't where I live). Still not an excuse for not doing their goddamn research, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 19, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Ah. forgot about this one. If anyone sees this before the update, go read that first.

There's a Psychology skillcheck here, but to TLDR, the part people would actually care about; getting him to cut it out, isn't a resulting option.
...Even though, by the check's results, this would fall under the psychology skills portfolio and should be an option. :shepface:
-----
I planned on bringing this up later, but it gets into a recurring issue with Stygian: For all your skills, there really aren't enough opportunities to use each of them.
Between a limited supply of skillpoints and the fact players going in fresh would have no idea what to put them in to get the outcomes they want, well.

It's an indisputably awful problem in stygian that there is no way to avoid, willfully or otherwise.

...I'll try to explain how bad it is via that character .

When first seen/talked to, there is no subtlety going on. You take one look and know:

-The Devs could've not included this at all and nothing of value would've been lost
-They (the character) are/were Horribly Racist
-Out of all the things they (the character) could be doing in this horrible town, they chose.... To wear blackface and repeat their routines ad infinitum.
-The dialogue box stating they (again the character) are exhausted, but still doing the above.

You then get some dialogue options to question him, and...
Nothing.
None of them do anything, they don't give answers, they don't make him stop, they just don't do anything at all.
Your skills? Nope. Psychology is the one exception here, and.... You get some insight spelled out on what's going on.

I can't be bothered to check, but I remember it being penance. He was a racist rear end before the town went to hell, now he's punishing himself by... Repeating his racist caricatures until he presumably dies. Stygian!

...Oh, and some experience. What, wanted it to stop one way or another? Too bad, this is Stygian.

It legitimately confuses me how the game has recent reviews better than mixed.

Pointless Trivia Edit: For all it doesn't matter, rolled up a character and... Huh. Starter "playable" cutscene comes off a bit different when your character is standing behind the post office due to pathfinding :v:
But no, figured I would check Eduardo and to some surprise, Eduardo does have slightly different dialogue.
He doesn't have the fuego line when a male character asks, and isn't nearly as interested in the rest of his dialogue.
...This was, perhaps, not the best use of dialogue effort on the developers part.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 19, 2020

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

e: Apparently the developers are based in Turkey? Doesn't excuse the godawful stereotyping but I'd assume most people outside the US/post-colonialist Europe don't "get" why blackface is offensive (they sure as hell don't where I live). Still not an excuse for not doing their goddamn research, though.

That explains...a lot.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Viola the Mad posted:

Since :sparkles:Kabbalah:sparkles: looks like it is going to be a part of this game, I'd like to announce that I went to Jewish school for eight whole years just so I could sperg endlessly at people about Jewish history/folklore/culture. So if people are interested in knowing how The Goyim Are loving It Up, I can give you allll the dirty details!

I'd love to hear it!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That...was not something I expected to pop up.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

Arcanuse posted:

I can't be bothered to check, but I remember it being penance. He was a racist rear end before the town went to hell, now he's punishing himself by... Repeating his racist caricatures until he presumably dies. Stygian!

That makes zero sense.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Meadowhill posted:

That makes zero sense.

"As a former Concentration Camp guard, I shall do penance for the rest of my life by killing Jews!"

I don't know what they were going for here, but they picked something requiring a lot more clarity than they were able to deliver.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Meadowhill posted:

That makes zero sense.

But you see he's dumb and so goddamn crazy. Like in the Lovecraft.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

While getting the exact information normally would require effort, lo and behold Stygian has a built-in console with it's very own character editor.

Popped open one of the test characters, loaded them up with psychology, ]walked past the poison-wanting snake person with a lisssssp I've never seen before because the sanity effects typically warrant a reload and checked.
...After meeting some strange figure walking up, declare "I am regret" and start wandering about.
Ahem.

Anyways, you examine him via skillcheck, and the exact line is as follows:

Stygian! posted:

(As you watch him continue his bizarre show at the expense of his dwindling physical health, patterns of severe self-punishment are revealed. A deep sense of guilt may have triggered this malady.)

I guess what they were going for was a sort of ironic punishment, which failed miserably.

They really, really should've taken one look at what they had, realized they could remove this without affecting the rest of the game, and just cut it.

Though with the previously mentioned noodle code, I suppose there is the tiny chance this character somehow ended up a loadbearing racist caricaturist.
That the developers then refused in any way to change to make less awful, or were unable to do so.
Then decided that yes, the above situation was fine, and there was no need what-so-ever to either explain and apologize for the unfortunate situation or quietly fix it in an update.
:chloe:

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 19, 2020

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Arcanuse posted:

Though with the previously mentioned noodle code, I suppose there is the tiny chance this character somehow ended up a loadbearing racist caricaturist.
That the developers then refused in any way to change to make less awful, or were unable to do so.
Then decided that yes, the above situation was fine, and there was no need what-so-ever to either explain and apologize for the unfortunate situation or quietly fix it in an update.
:chloe:

Are you saying people said "What the gently caress this is terrible" and the devs just waved them away? :ughh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

man this is Lovecraftian as gently caress

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Viola the Mad posted:

Are you saying people said "What the gently caress this is terrible" and the devs just waved them away? :ughh:

No, didn't mean to imply that.
Was trying to work through why the devs might not have cut it and only managed to come up with a bad possibility.
The devs, as far as I know, haven't talked about this or why it's still here at all.

Which, in addition to the devs silence, there also seems to be a conspicuous lack of "What the gently caress this is terrible" about this on steam or elsewhere.
Best I can find is a person on steam asking if he can be helped, articles seem to gloss over it if they mention it at all.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Was Lovecraft a normal racist by 1920s standards, or was he a turboracist?