Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hard disagree, The Simpsons is one of those shows where the potato sd quality only enhances my nostalgia for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I first saw em in college on VHS taped off of broadcast, we had to FF through commercials. They look fine to me

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Audio description rules. I am generally not looking at the screen of whatever show I'm watching, I'm nearly always drawing or doing something else on my other monitor. Audio description is a godsend, and it even helps things when you are watching. Star Trek Picard had fantastic audio description track, and it's worth listening to the audio description of the show's intro at least once for kicks.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I first saw 2001 on VHS on my 33cm CRT TV and liked it. Doesn't mean I wouldn't die to see it projected at my local theatre.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally got around to Doom Patrol and holy poo poo it's good

Also digging Space Force more than I thought I would

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just finished The Good Place. It was an incredible show.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh, speaking of the Good Place...

https://twitter.com/YouSaidWhaaattt/status/1271678191560728581

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1273446578926219265

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Looten Plunder posted:

King of Staten Island Chat.

I guess it's cool to hate Apatow now? I don't get the hate, it's good!

It's only semi-biographical. He's also not a comedian.

Really? In the TV Chat thread where people binge whole seasons of things in a day and do full rewatches of Friends and Person of Interest?

Yeah, I thought the whole point of the movie is that it is if Pete Davidson never discovered comedy or never got his break.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

swickles posted:

Yeah, I thought the whole point of the movie is that it is if Pete Davidson never discovered comedy or never got his break.

Oh hey kinda like me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nice try but that doesn't mean poo poo because she used to block people who pointed out her racist tweets before and is absolutely only shedding crocodile tears now that it's no longer possible to just shrug it off.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 18, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

oh jay posted:

Oh, speaking of the Good Place...

They really need to teach celebs how to do apologies, then maybe one day we’ll actually get a good one.

Shame, Megan’s tv writing was always good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also those this is the day Donald Trump etc. tweets sucked

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

They really need to teach celebs how to do apologies, then maybe one day we’ll actually get a good one.

Shame, Megan’s tv writing was always good.

Just once I want someone caught in this situation to admit that they probably never would have apologized or even thought about it again if there hadn't been a public record causing them a PR problem now. Apologies where you implore the reader for your honesty instead actually being honest are just the worst.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

A lot of the time these old tweets are when they are in their twenties and they should know better.

One day someone will be able to say, "Dude I was literally in junior high" and I will honestly just accept that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Really? In the TV Chat thread where people binge whole seasons of things in a day and do full rewatches of Friends and Person of Interest?

Movies and TV are different

e: I posted this before getting to the next page and jfc Megan

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 18, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
One of the many problems of loving up and getting called out on it is that it's really hard to gain immediate perspective, which is what being a public figure on a platform like Twitter demands. An immediate response that understands the issue in a deep and meaningful way, as well as their place within that issue, is always going to be rare. Unfortunately a lot of people need time to gain that perspective and self-examine and grow. Obviously saying the equivalent of "Sure I did that stuff but I'm all better now so lay off" is a bad move on Megan's part, but, well, humans are very disappointingly fallible. But maybe I'm just begin overly generous because The Good Place is a very empathetic show and I just watched a lot of it over the past few days so my head is in a weirdly optimistic place.

Though yeah, for sure if Hollywood PR firms aren't putting together emergency fuckup response teams they're missing out on some cash.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I saw an ad during Maddow that was basically: did you gently caress up and do a racism on the internet? Hire us! We'll go through and scrub your social media and help you construct an apology.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Watched the last and final season of You Me Her. Good god, what a shell of a show, an absolute textbook example of phoning it in.

Haven't seen much discussion of the show here so I don't think many people watch it anyway, but I was intrigued by the concept and the first few seasons were alright. Season 4 was a big step back in quality and this last season was terrible. They have a paper thin main characters plot they stretch out over 10 episodes, with a bunch of b-character plots of a thickness that has to be measured in nano angstroms.

Jennifer Spence either didn't want to be in it or had a scheduling conflict, so they just pretended she was elsewhere. Neighbour friend's only plotline is that he was buying a new house. The only driving force of the story, the ticking clock, is a loving wedding. There's no antagonists to drive conflict so it just becomes a bunch of kumbaya poo poo. The driving drama between the Trakarskys and Izzy has them acting really weird and dumb to justify dragging it out over 10 episodes. It gets resolved in the last 5 minutes (in a montage of PHOTOS).

I'm insulted. I feel bamboozled, like I ordered a hamburger and was instead handed a picture of one. This is the candyfloss version of a TV-show. If you removed all the air and compressed it down it'd have less than half an hour's worth of material.

Go ahead and skip this season, there are no redeeming qualities.

Ovenmaster fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 18, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
One of my favorite things about Future Man that's been sticking with me over time is that not only is everyone on the show bisexual, but they also never call attention to it or have to comment on it. It just casually [i]is[i] in a wildly refreshing way. It's so well done and heartening, but makes it more of a bummer that The Good Place implied Eleanor's bisexuality but had her exclusively paired up with guys over so many iterations and lifetimes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like Steve Carell just fine and all but I can't help but think Space Force would be about 25% funnier if the show were centered around Malkovich and Emmerich, they're so good in it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Would probably be funnier if they added some jokes to it too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Would probably be funnier if they added some jokes to it too.

"A tampon stays inside a vagina all day. I can't think of anything more manly"
"All day? 5 hours max. She knows what I'm talking about"
"Acknowledge my gender again and I will gently caress you in the rear end"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's not far off being about 1/3 of the jokes I've seen so far in the show.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it enough and just being snarky... but for a show absolutely loving stacked with funny people, it doesn't make much use of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that's fair, it does feel like it should be better, but I'm enjoying the ride

The thread hated episode 2 and I thought it was one of the best ones

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Having seen Hannibal mentioned on a regular basis since it aired on these forums and seeing it show up on Netflix I finally watched it. This show is a masterpiece is so many ways it's almost unbelievable. I am amazed it aired on NBC like this and aside from the lack of profanity I would've thought it was an HBO prestige drama.

precision posted:

I like Steve Carell just fine and all but I can't help but think Space Force would be about 25% funnier if the show were centered around Malkovich and Emmerich, they're so good in it

Most of the attempts at political jokes were bland and excruciating. The house committee scene where Carrell gets to give a Great White Man speech about the noble science achievements was especially terrible for the insanely stupid old white GOP guy and the blatant attempt to parody AOC for some weak "both sides" bullshit.

The only thing consistently funny in the show was the joint chief meeting banter.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 19, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of NBC shows from the early '10s that are better than they have any right to be, is Awake available for streaming on any platform? I would definitely like to watch that again, I haven't seen it since it originally aired.

Actually, I forgot that David Slade directed the pilots of both Hannibal and Awake.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is it not still on Hulu?

Awake was legit fantastic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some of the better, less-talked about comedy shows of the last decade?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Galavant was a very specific thing that nailed it and it's going to be very forgotten.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 19, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We talking less talked by the mainstream, or less talked about even on places like this? Even then it’s hard to draw a line.

Here’s some I hope are what you’re looking for in a mostly alphabetical order

I Think You Should Leave
Brockmire
At Home with Amy Sedaris
Breeders
The Carmichael Show
The Chris Gethard Show
Do You Want To See a Dead Body?
Comedy Bang Bang
Corporate
Derry Girls
Difficult People
Eagleheart
Idiotsitter
The Katering Show
Joe Pera Talks With You
Limmy’s Show
Los Espookys
Mostly 4 Millennials
Other Space
The Other Two
People of Earth
Playing House
Teachers
Toast of London
Wellington Paranormal
The Young Offenders

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

What are some of the better, less-talked about comedy shows of the last decade?

Love and Easy are both loving phenomenal and nobody ever talks about them, despite them both having 3 seasons

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Galavant was a very specific thing that nailed it and it's going to very forgotten.

Yes. The songs were amazing. I am sad that it didn't get that next season and that it wasn't nominated (or won) any awards.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I definitely should’ve included Love given I just finished watched it. I was annoyed we didn’t seem to have a thread here for the last season as I wanted to know if people liked it/the end. I liked both personally.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

TV Zombie posted:

Yes. The songs were amazing. I am sad that it didn't get that next season and that it wasn't nominated (or won) any awards.

While I wish it continued on the fact they were able to even get the 2nd season to finish up the show was very lucky and I think it was a stratifying ending.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Digital Jedi posted:

While I wish it continued on the fact they were able to even get the 2nd season to finish up the show was very lucky and I think it was a stratifying ending.

Absolutely. It was basically the passion project of the person in charge of ABC at the time so I appreciate what we got. It won't happen again for a long time.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 19, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wrapping up s2 of Gotham and rather enjoying it, but what I'm most interested in right now is how Jim Gordon is going to convince whoever ends up being Batgirl's mom to name their daughter after his criminally insane and homicidally obsessed ex fiancé

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Galavant was amazing and I still have most of the songs on my Spotify

"What Am I Feeling" was 1000000x better than it ever had to be, I have no idea why Menken didn't save that one for a bigass movie

edit: Same with "Will My Day Ever Come" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNngap8b_k

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 19, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I can't decide if just assuming Hannibal is a wizard makes the show better or worse.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yer a wizard, Hanni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of NBC shows from the early '10s that are better than they have any right to be, is Awake available for streaming on any platform? I would definitely like to watch that again, I haven't seen it since it originally aired.

Actually, I forgot that David Slade directed the pilots of both Hannibal and Awake.

:lol: I initially read that as David Spade, and felt the same sense of confusion every time I see Fred Savage appear as a director of producer.