Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Coolguye posted:

I unironically love it every time the law of conservation of mass and the inverse-square law are told to go gently caress themselves in Transformers. It happens so often you can make a lethal drinking game out of it.

It's not even getting into size problems across the same team.

Like, take the Combaticons. They're a Decepticon team that combines to form Bruticus.

Bruticus's main body/upper legs/head is formed from Onslaught, who depending on continuity is either a SWAT APC or some sort of armed flatbed truck.

His limbs (which are all ostensibly roughly the SAME SIZE on him) are a Humvee, a tank, an attack helicopter and a space shuttle.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tighclops posted:

I think the toy that eventually became soundwave was supposed to originally be the leader since the decepticon logo is based off his head sculpt, a guy with an alt mode like that would have made even less sense as a leader

Would it? A robot that transforms into a gun that shrinks so the second-in-conmand can fire it makes more sense as a leader than just a GIANT FLYING SPACE GUN?

IIRC, that is Shockwave's alt, he doesn't shrink down, he stays full-sized, right?

Come to think of it...how often, if ever, did we see Shockwave transform in the G1 series? He was always stuck back on Cybertron, and barely seen as it was, apparently just him and those 3 or 4 female Autobots fighting each other for four million years while the everyone that hosed off to earth was in stasis.

V V V :cripes: drat it, partly my fault, partly Hasbro's fault for using two very similar names. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 19, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Soundwave was the cassette player guy, Shockwave was the giant space gun/evil spock guy.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tighclops posted:

Soundwave was the cassette player guy, Shockwave was the giant space gun/evil spock guy.

Dangit, we just had this conversation, and I posted a cool picture and everything :argh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DrBouvenstein posted:

V V V :cripes: drat it, partly my fault, partly Hasbro's fault for using two very similar names. V V V
you're not actually a transformers fan until you've made this mistake like 5 times

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

DrBouvenstein posted:

Come to think of it...how often, if ever, did we see Shockwave transform in the G1 series? He was always stuck back on Cybertron, and barely seen as it was, apparently just him and those 3 or 4 female Autobots fighting each other for four million years while the everyone that hosed off to earth was in stasis.

If this thread isn't familiar with Shockwave's Burden (and the rest of Dr Smoov's edits) then they really should be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The original "microchange" toyline that Megatron was part of had the gimmick of everyday items a kid had changing into robots. So there's a commercial where you see a watch, a camera, and then a Browning M1910. Kinda weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en3m-ggLrSc&t=56s

There was a whole conversation about them on the BSS thread a couple weeks ago.

Realistic toy guns used to be real big before the proliferation of real guns prompted a crackdown on the fake guns. Or at least that's the story I've pieced together. I don't know if there are more realistic toy guns in Europe.

It was around the 80s/90s when the US government pushed through more stringent laws about toy guns (requiring the bright orange barrel tips) after some incident when cops shot a kid who was waving around a toy gun, iirc. (Of course it turns out that doesn't help, but)

Leads to a bit of an interesting thing where while Optimus Prime is pretty consistently a truck, Beast Wars aside, Megatron has been everything from a tank to a spaceship to a dragon that can turn into a giant hand (seriously) among other things. I think there was one tie-in with Nerf where he was a functional Nerf gun.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

To be fair, when Megatron was a hand-dragon, Optimus was a very different type of truck: A Fire Truck.

Ultra Magnus is a car carrier truck, which seems so goddamn perfect of an idea for a character to interact with all the other cars, he deserves to be more prominent in the franchise.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SlothfulCobra posted:

To be fair, when Megatron was a hand-dragon, Optimus was a very different type of truck: A Fire Truck.

Ultra Magnus is a car carrier truck, which seems so goddamn perfect of an idea for a character to interact with all the other cars, he deserves to be more prominent in the franchise.

Nobody even cared about Megatron in RiD, it was all about Nemesis Prime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

Nobody even cared about Megatron in RiD, it was all about Sky-Byte.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was around the 80s/90s when the US government pushed through more stringent laws about toy guns (requiring the bright orange barrel tips) after some incident when cops shot a kid who was waving around a toy gun, iirc. (Of course it turns out that doesn't help, but)

Leads to a bit of an interesting thing where while Optimus Prime is pretty consistently a truck, Beast Wars aside, Megatron has been everything from a tank to a spaceship to a dragon that can turn into a giant hand (seriously) among other things. I think there was one tie-in with Nerf where he was a functional Nerf gun.

Megatron became a gun again in the Classics line, but a scifi "fusion blaster" with lots of neon and safety orange instead of a tricked-out Walther. Unfortunately it's a bit of a shellformer but on the other hand, Megatron with wings like some mechanical Lucifer is a pretty sweet look.

The Optimus Prime in that line is a really solid design too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Diaclone original of Ultra Magnus was a straight-up upgrade of the Diaclone Optimus, both in the story and in toy design terms. Makes his role in The Transformers The Movie kind of ironic.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Tighclops posted:

not for nothing but they put out a "Rodimus Unicronus" figure awhile back that was literally painted with an evil spock beard and moustache

Just looked this up and it's amazing but I think I'm the only person in the world who unironically likes Hot Rod

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

Just looked this up and it's amazing but I think I'm the only person in the world who unironically likes Hot Rod

Had to double-check the thread title because I'm like "Yeah it flopped but the movie had lots of fun jokes I still remember fondly."

Yeah no one but you likes Hot Rod unironically.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Had to double-check the thread title because I'm like "Yeah it flopped but the movie had lots of fun jokes I still remember fondly."

Yeah no one but you likes Hot Rod unironically.

Kup does

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kup is an opportunist who recognizes a princeling when he sees one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Comics Rodimus is fun, he acts like an idiot to get people to do all his work for him except the fun parts.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
growing up my grandmother for whatever reason had a VHS of the Transformers movie that was only the second part/last half of it, starting with everyone hovering around Optimus' corpse and focusing mainly on Hot Rod and Ultramagnus. I didn't realize until years later there was more to the movie.

I did just see an ad for War for Cybertron on netflix, which seems to feature mostly G1 characters. Is it worth a watch for nostalgia purposes?

edit: this thing

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 22, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Canadian Surf Club posted:

growing up my grandmother for whatever reason had a VHS of the Transformers movie that was only the second part/last half of it, starting with everyone hovering around Optimus' corpse and focusing mainly on Hot Rod and Ultramagnus. I didn't realize until years later there was more to the movie.

I did just see an ad for War for Cybertron on netflix, which seems to feature mostly G1 characters. Is it worth a watch for nostalgia purposes?

edit: this thing

We don't know about War for Cybertron, it's not out yet. It was delayed because of COVID, looks like July 30th is the current release date:
https://tformers.com/netflix-transformers-war-for-cybertron-siege-begins-july-30th-new-trailer-and-images/37436/news.html

And that VHS isn't the second half of the movie, it's a 2-parter towards the end of Season 3 (the post-movie season) where a guy mad at transformers releases some sort of anger plague that makes every living thing it touches angry and red. Optimus Prime is resurrected to stop it.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
everything I know is a lie

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

And what's fun, is "The Return of Optimus Prime," as those two episodes are called, is the SECOND time Optimus comes back from the dead in the Transformers G1 cartoon continuity.

The first one is probably the creepiest loving episode. Some Autobots and a dumb annoying kid have to take refuge in the flying tomb they set up for all the Autobots that died during the events on the movie. Then we eventually get God-drat Zombie Prime:

He is reprogrammed to be evil and nearly kills all the other Autobots, but overcomes it, and then suicide* pilots a spaceship into a planet or something to stop it from destroying Cybertron, I think.

Ahh, yes, SURELY that will help all the kids whop were still traumatized over seeing him die the first time, have him come back, evil, and then die AGAIN.

*Only not suicide because, as mentioned, he's back a dozen or so episodes later for good.

"For good:" being, like, 3 or 4 episodes left in the season and that was it for the US run, though in Japan a fourth season/spin-off "Headmasters" series ran for a season or two, not sure if Optimus was in that at all? Never watched i or even really read much about it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

"For good:" being, like, 3 or 4 episodes left in the season and that was it for the US run, though in Japan a fourth season/spin-off "Headmasters" series ran for a season or two, not sure if Optimus was in that at all? Never watched i or even really read much about it.

There were three more seasons in Japan: Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory. Optimus is in Headmasters for a while before he dies yet again. Then Masterforce has a guy who looks like Optimus but is a different character. Then he dies in Victory but is resurrected as another different character.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 23, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If you all didn't know, IDW has been publishing a Terminator vs Transformers miniseries and it's off to a very strong start for a goofy crossover

It's just Skynet vs the Decepticons.

I'm also excited for the MLP/Transformers crossover series they're starting in a couple weeks, because I love these goofy crossovers.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Roth posted:

I'm also excited for the MLP/Transformers crossover series they're starting in a couple weeks, because I love these goofy crossovers.

If you like goofy crossovers, I cannot recommend enough AvP.

No, no, not that one.

Archie vs. Predator.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, that one rules too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Archie vs Punisher was surprisingly good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think Predator crossovers have the highest overall average out of all the 80s vs. franchises (aliens, terminator, robocop)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it helps that the good Predator movies basically already play out like crossovers- an Arnie action movie and a buddy cop movie are interrupted by an alien hunter looking to take trophies indiscriminately.

The real funny thing in Archie vs Predator is the characters theorise that the Predator is also a teenager, and from his behaviour early on he seems to get a crush on Betty and Veronica to the point of stalking them back to Riverdale. Also, makes the ending even funnier.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 7, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone always knew the Predator was a loser, the interstellar equivalent of one of those losers who pay an embarrassing amount of money to shoot into the African savannah to shoot a sleeping lion and wears TactiCOOL gear everywhere, but being a teenager adds a nice funny dimension

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Every primary Predator is different, mind, and while they all definitely are big game hunters of some sort there's different types. The first Predator was a big game hunter who bites off more than he can chew with a wolf pack, the second is on a turkey shoot. (IIRC he's supposed to be young and ambitious, though his trophies imply he's a veteran. Unless they belong to the other Predators in the ship)

The EU stuff with them is usually pretty dumb, but I like the idea that the movie Predators are using the equivalent of hunting gear, and their war gear is something else. (What with them having self-destructs that can take out a city block on their wrists)

ed: Wow, I forget what thread we're in. And now I'd like to see a Predator who decides to hunt Cybertronians.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ed: Wow, I forget what thread we're in. And now I'd like to see a Predator who decides to hunt Cybertronians.

Have a Predator hunting/stalking Soundwave. He eventually succeeds in cornering and heavily wounding/incapacitating the Cybertronian, but before the Predator can secure the kill and claim his trophy, Soundwave ejects a small force of those cassette dudes (Ravage, Laserbeak, Rumble, Frenzy, Ratbat, etc.) to defend him. What follows is a chaotic brawl where the Predator at first attempts to fight through them all to get to his prize before realizing that he's just way too outnumbered and instead shifts his focus to a tactical retreat back to his ship, pursued by the smaller Cybertronians, the hunter now the prey desperate to escape their wrath.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

When he gets back to his ship he thinks he's safe, but then it unfolds, stands up, and turns into this guy:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's a new Transformers cartoon on Netflix.

Seems to just be yet another retread of G1, but at least Starscream has the super nasally voice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't think Transformers has really had a proper retread of G1 in how out there it seems the show could get. G1 had a lot of plausible human villains and all kinds of random sci-fi poo poo before the franchise really found its feet, and an episode with all but canonical washed-up Cobra Commander as the villain. (Old Snake)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The videogame Devastation is probably the only thing I've ever seen that nails the G1 feeling 100%.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Roth posted:

There's a new Transformers cartoon on Netflix.

Seems to just be yet another retread of G1, but at least Starscream has the super nasally voice.

It's really bad.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

yeah I watched 10 minutes and....nope.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They should lean into the shared universe thing with the cartoons like the comics did, let them sell more tie ins and reuse old concepts. Have GI Joe be XCOM.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They should, but I don't want to have to watch the YT thinkpieces on that and you don't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The dialogue in it is just atrocious. Like, I don't expect much from a series about robots that turn into cars but I'd like some bare characterization at least. The fact that the characters are extremely toy-accurate is really weird to watch, too.