Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There was a lot of attrition from posters who were there in the Pride days and got to see the focus of serious MMA go from Japan to the US. I’m sure a lot of people miss Duncan the most for being plugged into the Asian scene, being pretty technically astute, and having all the off the wall jokes.

After Lesnar started winning fights, the balance of Pride heads vs pro wrestling newcomers shifted, and that sent us down the path to now, where there’s way more fights and less hype per fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Southpaugh posted:

Fatherdog basically just burned out and there go we but for the grace of god amen

I don't think he burned out by moderating two or three threads and posting a few times a day.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nierbo posted:

I don't think he burned out by moderating two or three threads and posting a few times a day.

He got extremely mad about some online bullshit and burned out on posting. He could have stuck around and been the change he wanted to see in the world. Instead he burned out and told SA to gently caress itself. It's ok, hes allowed do that if he wants to. He was a mod and poster for years, it builds up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Abysmal posted:

A bunch of moderators left for some forum drama reason, fatherdog asked to be banned and Lowtax (the one person on the forum he couldn't "nope" his way through an argument with) did indeed ban him. The wrestling moderator at the time also left and that's when they installed a new wrestling moderator and decided to not have a dedicated MMA one anymore, and honestly the community is now dead enough that it's not needed. Although I think fatherdog's departure really hurt the MMA portion of this forum in general.

Make LobsterMobster or BlueDeanie MMA Mod plz.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mekchu posted:

:hmmyes:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

why do yall want me to have to do poo poo and have responsibilities

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I wouldn't do that to you bro

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mekchu posted:

I like both of them too much to wish that on them

we don't need a mod, really, like, we might need an IK for the monthly and GDTs but we're too small to really need more than self-policing by hazing the poo poo out of morons

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

This is the best place to talk about MMA on the Internet. Which isn't much when you think about it but everywhere else is far worse. We're good.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
to become MMA mod please use MMAth to show how Frankie Edgar is the GOAT. show your work

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MotU posted:

to become MMA mod please use MMAth to show how Frankie Edgar is the GOAT. show your work

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Rich Clementi :stare:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A Rumble got RNC'd by a lightweight, a shameful Rumble

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Rich Clementi vs. Rumble was so long ago that it was when the UFC still had taglines for their PPVs, UFC 76: Knockout (there were no knockouts on the card)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Rumble Johnson is the stargate to both weight classes and generations

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I like how Rumble and BJ are the translators between lower and upper weight classes. Hopefully, if you dig back deep enough, Joe "Diesel" Riggs starts popping into these equations.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
It's too easy with this auto-calc app. True MMAth requires you to dig through multiple sources one fight at a time to find the most nonsensical and meandering path to beating Jon Jones (or Fedor) by someone like Akebono, a man who had 14 fights in MMA and kickboxing and lost all but one of them. Hence we get...

Akebono > Kakuda > Zane Frasier > Giant Ochiai > Kim Jong Wang > Brad Kohler > Travis Fulton > Wes Sims > Conan Silveira > Mo Smith > Mark Coleman > Shogun > Little Nog > Rashad Evans > Rampage > Hamill > Jones

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I like how Rumble and BJ are the translators between lower and upper weight classes. Hopefully, if you dig back deep enough, Joe "Diesel" Riggs starts popping into these equations.

And Gegard Mousasi, who fought from 185 to Openweight, and beat Mark Hunt so that opens you up to a lot of HW fighters.

He fought at "welterweight" in PRIDE but I think that was 84kg, right?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Oh yeah well

Demetrious Johnson > KID Yamamoto > Genki Sudo > Butterbean > James Thompson > Bob Sapp > Seth Petruzelli > Ricco Rodriguez > Randy Couture > Tim Sylvia > Andrei Arlovski > Frank Mir > Mirko Cro Cop > Satoshi Ishii > Minowaman > Hong-Man Choi

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Aspen Ladd out of next week's event with a torn ACL and MCL, drat.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

jerusalem is fine and it is good that they started getting into fights ages ago when fatherdog noped himself into freedom. i wouldnt wish modhood on deanie or lobster and mma posters are so few at this point we barely need any attention

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lid posted:

Oh yeah well

Demetrious Johnson > KID Yamamoto > Genki Sudo > Butterbean > James Thompson > Bob Sapp > Seth Petruzelli > Ricco Rodriguez > Randy Couture > Tim Sylvia > Andrei Arlovski > Frank Mir > Mirko Cro Cop > Satoshi Ishii > Minowaman > Hong-Man Choi

I like how the first four people in this list get you from 125 to 400 lbs and the rest is just meandering.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I love frankie edgar but fatherdoog had diffficulties communicating because his mouth was too full from his nutsack

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

CRISPYBABY posted:

I like how the first four people in this list get you from 125 to 400 lbs and the rest is just meandering.

Six degrees of Seth Petruzelli?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

CRISPYBABY posted:

lmao I was gonna say something about not needing mma math to see that DJ is better than a 4-5 record fighter, but your point is much better.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Fine we'll do it the progressive way

Demetrious Johnson > KID Yamamoto > Genki Sudo > Nate Marquardt > Demian Maia > Chael Sonnen > Wanderlei Silva > Minowaman > Hong-man Choi

Wait this was a lot faster...

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Genki Sudo had a fight against Butterbean?? :aaaaa:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah Genki was just kinda loving around and bouncing off the ropes, Butterbean fell on him and Genki heel-hooked the poo poo out of him

I just saw a thing where Dana said the next apparel provider for the UFC is going to be either Nike, Under Armor, or Venum. I'm getting a real "one of these things is not like the other" vibe.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Isn’t Venom one of those awful brands like Tap out and Everlast that got bought out by a big China factory just to put the name of the cheapest possible shite?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Isn’t Venom one of those awful brands like Tap out and Everlast that got bought out by a big China factory just to put the name of the cheapest possible shite?

sounds like dana found the perfect fit for the ufc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You should watch Sudo v Butterbean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_TkJcMZm6s

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

why do yall want me to have to do poo poo and have responsibilities

You were offering to wrote for free on SA.com so I figured you just liked being abused.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Aspen Ladd out of next week's event with a torn ACL and MCL, drat.

She truly is the new Cat Zingano.

Well welcome back to her in two years and condolences on that future embarrassing TKO loss I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Genki Sudo's facial expressions are what I'd expect if he were solving a moderately tricky crossword puzzle.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

CommonShore posted:

She truly is the new Cat Zingano.

Well welcome back to her in two years and condolences on that future embarrassing TKO loss I guess.

Huh?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cat Zingano was lined up to be a big exciting title challenger then her knee died and she came back after a long time and lost a bunch.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Hmmm I guess, but looks like at the time you're talking about Cat was like 31 or 32, Aspen just turned 25, hopefully she heals better.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Cat Zingano was lined up to be a big exciting title challenger then her knee died and she came back after a long time and lost a bunch.

Wasn’t that just about the same time her husband/trainer killed himself, too? She kind of got doubled Denis Kang’d.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Yeah, Cat Zingano’s story is super depressing. On her JRE episode she did not seem well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

FishBowlRobot posted:

Yeah, Cat Zingano’s story is super depressing. On her JRE episode she did not seem well.

I may be mixing it up with someone else but is that the one where she's going to a bunch of "alternate" healing places with like crystals and poo poo like that? I kinda vaguely remember something along those lines.