Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HopperUK posted:

I know you're not *exactly* saying that the accusations being talked about here are 'attention whoring' but that's a real bad look.

considering their posts across the past couple of pages i think that is exactly what they're saying while trying to make you think that's not what they're saying, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah I was trying not to fall into their cunning rhetorical trap of 'wah that's not what I SAID even though it's clearly what I MEANT'.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I lied and played a couple more demos.

Conscript is a pretty cool survival horror game set in WW1. It has some obvious shades of Resident Evil as far as design goes, with a grungy "low res" presentation similar to GBA games or Darkwood. It's nice, I quite like the deliberately slow feel to the gameplay and think it does a nice job of being unnerving without being all in your face with jumpscares and poo poo.

Regiments I played on someone's recommendation from here. It feels nice too, maybe one of the better put together RTS/RTT games from the summer festival. Feels like a more snappy and lighter Wargame for better or worse. Performance needs some work though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cowcaster posted:

considering their posts across the past couple of pages i think that is exactly what they're saying while trying to make you think that's not what they're saying, actually

SA is probably the best place on the internet to talk about games without altright shitheads mucking it up but there's still work to be done cleaning it up if there's still "just asking questions" folks thinking they're welcome here. Yes, even in the video games subforum.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Stokes posted:

It's so weird that I went out of my way to do all the animal and fishing hunts in Far Cry 5 and Far Cry New Dawn but I can't bring myself to press the checkout button on all the The Hunt: Call of the Wild with the game and all the DLC I'd want. I think it's because I went to the African Sahara dlc reviews and saw people complaining that there were no elephants or other exotic animals to hunt. Like it's real to them, and it creeped me out a bit.

If it makes you feel any better the missions for most of the reserves are about good stewardship of the environment and conservation.

Anyway gently caress Chris Avellone rapist and Nazi.

Gonna have to think about Dying Light 2 didn't know he was the writer on that and I don't trust Techland to do the right thing.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 20, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phlegmish posted:

The problem I have with that black-white tribal worldview becomes obvious when you flip it around. Say Chris Avellone were a self-described male feminist who does and says the right things in public, because he's very manipulative and good at projecting a socially desirable aura. Would you be completely surprised in that case, maybe even...inclined to disbelieve?

Maybe I'd be a little surprised, yes, but I think that case it'd just be more disappointing than surprising. I kinda get where you're coming from here, but it's a loving bad hill to die on for pedantic reasons.

AbstractNapper posted:

How is twitter suddenly a reliable source of information of such things anyway, when there's so much false information and attention whoring going on it on a daily basis?

Twitter isn't reliable by default, just as people aren't reliable by default. Corroborate sources, no matter what platform. If you'd done that, you'dve seen a few different people supporting these claims, and then seen the man himself admit and apologise. I'm going to assume you just hate social media instead of calling you a horrible person, even though it wouldn't be hard to make the leap of

Cowcaster posted:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Maybe I'd be a little surprised, yes, but I think that case it'd just be more disappointing than surprising. I kinda get where you're coming from here, but it's a loving bad hill to die on for pedantic reasons.

Well, fair enough.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hello Steam thread, if I may interrupt the Nazi rapist discussion, I’m thinking of getting Ace Combat 7 on sale, any reason not to? Should I go ahead and the get the deluxe version with all the DLC presumably?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Hello Steam thread, if I may interrupt the Nazi rapist discussion, I’m thinking of getting Ace Combat 7 on sale, any reason not to? Should I go ahead and the get the deluxe version with all the DLC presumably?

Don't get it if you hate good games

Definitely get the DLC missions along with it though, they kick rear end

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
What are goon opinions on Code Vein?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today my brother inducted me in the forbidden arts of Magic

Thoughts: it is stupid complicated, commander decks are hilariously oversized, and yet I won! I won!!!! My brother summoned like 32 6/6 worms so I countered by playing a flying leviathan thing that couldn't be blocked and it kept things from attacking which was the most hilarious kind of bullshit to stop a zerg rush.

Anyways so I'm in here to ask: what's the best PC game for playing Magic? I'm familiar enough with it now that I'd be down for playing solo Magic.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Karanas posted:

Do you think Dark Souls would be improved with cel-shading, combat using the face buttons instead of the shoulder buttons, and 90% of female characters having big floppity anime boobs? Well then you might just be in for a treat with Code Vein.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Don't get it if you hate good games

Definitely get the DLC missions along with it though, they kick rear end

I haven’t played an Ace Combat game since maybe the PS2 days. Is it noob friendly to get into?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

DrNutt posted:

Do you think Dark Souls would be improved with cel-shading, combat using the face buttons instead of the shoulder buttons, and 90% of female characters having big floppity anime boobs? Well then you might just be in for a treat with Code Vein.

Ok fine, but how's the combat? Is the game fun?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

I haven’t played an Ace Combat game since maybe the PS2 days. Is it noob friendly to get into?

As a total newbie to flying games, I got Ace Combat 7 earlier this year and LOVE it. So pretty. Easy to control (bring a controller, pick expert mode) and it's fast and fun. Easily the best flying game on steam.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Karanas posted:

It's pretty good, has solid enough mechanics and interesting ways to build your character that are also pretty easy to change on the fly to try different specialties. Plot is extremely anime and so are the graphics so stay away if allergic. The DLC is largely not worth it so don't worry about it either. There is one zone around the 1/3rd mark of the game that is infamously annoying to traverse but if you make it through it things never get THAT bad again. It's also a game with a pretty decent sort of difficulty selection considering it's a single difficulty soulslike, in that you can make the game a lot more hardcore by not bringing a companion NPC along.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Karanas posted:

It's a fun, trashy, extremely anime version of dark souls. Not as tightly balanced, but you can have an AI companion with you all the time, so it's not a big deal. It has an interesting class system, kinda like FFT or FF5 where you can mix and match abilities and passives, but it's not super deep.

Unusually for a souls game, it has a LOT of plot. Like there's a whole cast of characters and lots of flashbacks you can watch and whatnot. It's not great, but interesting enough.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thoughts: it is stupid complicated, commander decks are hilariously oversized, and yet I won! I won!!!! My brother summoned like 32 6/6 worms so I countered by playing a flying leviathan thing that couldn't be blocked and it kept things from attacking which was the most hilarious kind of bullshit to stop a zerg rush.

Anyways so I'm in here to ask: what's the best PC game for playing Magic? I'm familiar enough with it now that I'd be down for playing solo Magic.

How much $ are this decks worth?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Ace Combat 7 is awesome and one of my favourite games of last year. Definitely grab it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Blue estimated as 1200$, Green estimated as 800$, his favorite dragon deck estimated as 2000$. He winced when I asked but I reassured him because if you want to know how much my steam account is worth it's stupid too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was just going to say that there hadn't been an Ace Combat since the Ps2 days so you didn't miss anything but I forgot about 6.

But yes, its good arcade fun, with a particularly annoying new type of mission, but overall a very worthy playthrough.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Karanas posted:

Ok fine, but how's the combat? Is the game fun?

I like the skill/upgrade systems although at first glance they are more obtuse than Dark Souls. The combat is a solid meh though and I felt like, especially in the early game, there are a few bosses that are just "gently caress you" hard without understanding what made boss fights in the Souls series so good. Although I did end up finishing most of them without help because it seems like there's no one playing online anymore.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ok I got it, also snagged Katamari Damacy for the kids, it’s on sale for $10. Always wanted to play that too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Angry Lobster posted:

0.22 Goon Steam accounts (Median Average).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

StrixNebulosa posted:

Blue estimated as 1200$, Green estimated as 800$, his favorite dragon deck estimated as 2000$. He winced when I asked but I reassured him because if you want to know how much my steam account is worth it's stupid too.

Jesus Christ, I miss old paper magic when I could afford it :(

Galaga Galaxian posted:

0.22 Goon Steam accounts (Median Average).

True enough.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Jesus Christ, I miss old paper magic when I could afford it :(

True enough.

Keep in mind that he's been building/collecting these decks for like the last ten years as he's gone through college and gotten a job -- instead of doing what I did which was spending money on steam instead. Surprisingly, both of us saved money in the long run by picking these hobbies instead of getting into something like Warhammer 40k table top wargaming. :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Stokes posted:

It's so weird that I went out of my way to do all the animal and fishing hunts in Far Cry 5 and Far Cry New Dawn but I can't bring myself to press the checkout button on all the The Hunt: Call of the Wild with the game and all the DLC I'd want. I think it's because I went to the African Sahara dlc reviews and saw people complaining that there were no elephants or other exotic animals to hunt. Like it's real to them, and it creeped me out a bit.

I sort of feel similar, where I like doing hunting side-content in games, but I'm also wary about picking it up; not because of the Sahara DLC, but just sort of in general.

Apart from that though, I'm still on the fence about getting it. The Steam page mentions that there's a single-player campaign. Is it just a bunch of random missions, or is there actually some kind of story?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I sort of feel similar, where I like doing hunting side-content in games, but I'm also wary about picking it up; not because of the Sahara DLC, but just sort of in general.

Apart from that though, I'm still on the fence about getting it. The Steam page mentions that there's a single-player campaign. Is it just a bunch of random missions, or is there actually some kind of story?

There is no story. What there are are separate characters who give quest chains that have some thin excuse for doing stuff, with minimal plot stuff. So do your sandbox while sometimes doing quests.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Can you do other stuff in The Hunt like chase off poachers or is it literally just hunting animals and putting them on a mantlepiece?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DrNutt posted:

I like the skill/upgrade systems although at first glance they are more obtuse than Dark Souls. The combat is a solid meh though and I felt like, especially in the early game, there are a few bosses that are just "gently caress you" hard without understanding what made boss fights in the Souls series so good. Although I did end up finishing most of them without help because it seems like there's no one playing online anymore.

Yeah, the bosses early on are weirdly difficult, but once you get a feel for the combat they're almost hilariously easy. After the cathedral, I beat every boss on my first or second try until the final one. The trick is that ALL enemies can get stunned if you hit them hard enough, even bosses, and they don't actually have THAT much health. If you can get in and get a couple of full combos in, they're just dead, it's not the usual souls-style dance of dodging and countering over and over.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

StrixNebulosa posted:

Magic the Gathering Arena is the more popular and easier of the two online services they have, it's very easy to get into. It's not single-player but getting into quick online matches is very straightforward.

Alternatively Shandalar

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Begemot posted:

Yeah, the bosses early on are weirdly difficult, but once you get a feel for the combat they're almost hilariously easy. After the cathedral, I beat every boss on my first or second try until the final one. The trick is that ALL enemies can get stunned if you hit them hard enough, even bosses, and they don't actually have THAT much health. If you can get in and get a couple of full combos in, they're just dead, it's not the usual souls-style dance of dodging and countering over and over.

The stripper pole boss was absolutely the biggest wall I had in the game and the only time I actually had to look up advice for builds on the internet. A satisfying number of fights in Code Vein can be conquered by just having a giant loving sword and swinging it real hard.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DrNutt posted:

The stripper pole boss was absolutely the biggest wall I had in the game and the only time I actually had to look up advice for builds on the internet. A satisfying number of fights in Code Vein can be conquered by just having a giant loving sword and swinging it real hard.

Same, Hatsune Miku the Executioner was my biggest roadblock. Between giving a slow debuff and having that slide attack that will just kill you in one hit, it just feels absurdly unfair.

I ended up using a great big hammer, but the principle is the same :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Can you do other stuff in The Hunt like chase off poachers or is it literally just hunting animals and putting them on a mantlepiece?

Aside from multiplayer there are no other visible humans in the game. Each reserve has a modest amount of story missions that doesn't always involve shooting animals with the plot of you being an expert hunter hired by a hunting reserve for one reason or another. One mission might have you walking to a spot to interact with an object (say replace a missing road side on a dangerous hillside blind turn) or take a photograph of something. But a good majority of them are to harvest a specific animal. Hunting is absolutely the focus of the game. Early on its a good idea to harvest anything you find just to get money for gear, but eventually you reach a point where you're set up with everything you need and you start getting a lot pickier with your hunts (or at least I did).

If it helps the game encourages at least somewhat realistic hunting and, more importantly, ethical hunting. You're rewarded for clean, quick kills to the vitals as opposed to just putting a couple bad shots into an animal and letting it run a mile while it bleeds out. You lose points for using weapons inappropriate to the animal (so no obliterating rabbits with a buffalo gun or killing a buffalo with a hundred .22 rounds).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You won't ever see NPC humans. There are various quests but yeah, most of them involve hunting animals for population control reasons or the like. It isn't gratuitous in terms of animal pain and suffering or anything and you absolutely don't have to do the quests if you don't want to. The story on the African savannah is actually really lovely, with you returning to take over as game warden from your folksy wise grandad.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Magic the Gathering Arena is the more popular and easier of the two online services they have, it's very easy to get into. It's not single-player but getting into quick online matches is very straightforward.

Alternatively Shandalar

Agreed, Arena is the most affordable modern magic game. Legends of Runeterra is also another good candidate for online TCGs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Angry Lobster posted:

Agreed, Arena is the most affordable modern magic game. Legends of Runeterra is also another good candidate for online TCGs.
Eternal Card Game is basically MtG with serial numbers filed off. Very similar mechanics and deckbuilding processes, and it is extremely generous when it comes to giving you cards for free (daily win is a booster pack, for example).

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

Steam recommended the demo for Kaiju Fishing to me. It looks like it's the first real game from a studio specialising in simple parody games, but I love the idea of it and want it to work. This demo is extremely pre-alpha unfortunately; it starts with a prompt that they don't have m + kb support yet, so you will need a controller. But you can only close that prompt with your mouse :confused:

I'm also seconding recommendations for the Gestalt: Steam and Cinder demo. It's short and fun to play, and they're the only devs I've watched who have had the sense to upload a copy of their live stream afterwards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxl35L5k14

I'm a bit concerned about the number of typos and missing words in the demo of a text/story heavy game, but that should be quick and easy to fix before release, as long as they leave time to proof read it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord
Nuclear Throne is kicking my butt. It feels awfully unfair when I spawn into a level in the center of a large opening with everyone shooting at me. How do you guys manage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
putting a bunch of time into a demo is a fool's errand so i think the typos are fine. stuff like fixing typos and missing words is the easiest kind of post-release fix. mission level trivial for that stuff in other words.