Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It won't be Real Animorphs if it isn't vigorously peppered with Peak 90s isms like calling Rachel "Xena, Warrior Princess" and referring to the Sega Genesis Jake owns while calling bad guys freakazoids.

And no, I don't mean make it a Stranger Things-esqe 90s period nostalgia trip, I mean set it in the 2020s and keep all the 90s stuff like some strange alt-reality where we never aged out of this (aka our own reality.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I've never read it, but aren't there enough Animorphs books that that, combined with their length, would make them a much better TV series than movie?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The animorphs TV show was bad though.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The only good Animorphs content is Little Tunny's Barf drawing

https://twitter.com/itslittletunny/status/1154514643030806529?s=20

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jamie Faith posted:

Speaking of 90s nostalgia, they just announced they're doing a live-action Animorphs movie.
Ah good, I'm sure it will be just as good as the power rangers revival movie

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The Animorphs book covers freaked me out as a kid

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Casey Finnigan posted:

The Animorphs book covers freaked me out as a kid

Especially the early ones, christ almighty

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Last year LGR tracked down the software the (second) original cover artist used to make them and demonstrated it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRLi0VWdNIg

EDIT: Also, live right now, Kyle Kallgren and some of his associates are putting on a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCBdmJv5kag

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 20, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Animorphs is super anti-imperialism, pro LGBT rights, pro environmentalism. Animorphs rules.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah good, I'm sure it will be just as good as the power rangers revival movie

that movie ruled, sorry

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

that movie ruled, sorry

Loved it

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also it’s not quite the same because like. Power Rangers still exists. Kids watch the new tv shows.

At the very least, Samurai was very popular with the kids in... the early 2010s...

I’m getting old.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hopeandjoy posted:

Also it’s not quite the same because like. Power Rangers still exists. Kids watch the new tv shows.

At the very least, Samurai was very popular with the kids in... the early 2010s...

I’m getting old.

was it. i mostly move on from cartoons by 2020 outside some occasional stuff. than again, i was an edgy dumbass than so i wouldnt know poo poo.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

was it. i mostly move on from cartoons by 2020 outside some occasional stuff. than again, i was an edgy dumbass than so i wouldnt know poo poo.

According to Wikipedia, when it was airing in 2012, there were an average of 2 million regular viewers.

I have no idea how the newest seasons are doing, ratings wise, but it’s at least popular enough that Nickelodeon has announced the name of the 2021 new series and which Super Sentai season it’s based on.

And personally as a late 90s kid (born 1996), I would watch Power Rangers when it was owned by Disney and airing on Toon Disney/Jetix pretty regularly, both the currently airing seasons and the reruns of the original series.

The movie was absolutely geared towards 90s nostalgia but unlike Animorphs, Power Rangers is also a current kid’s franchise with young fans.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 20, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I also loved it!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

hopeandjoy posted:

According to Wikipedia, when it was airing in 2012, there were an average of 2 million regular viewers.

I have no idea how the newest seasons are doing, ratings wise, but it’s at least popular enough that Nickelodeon has announced the name of the 2021 new series and which Super Sentai season it’s based on.

And personally as a late 90s kid (born 1996), I would watch Power Rangers when it was owned by Disney and airing on Toon Disney/Jetix pretty regularly, both the currently airing seasons and the reruns of the original series.

The movie was absolutely geared towards 90s nostalgia but unlike Animorphs, Power Rangers is also a current kid’s franchise with young fans.

Yeah, I think PR is doing fine right now.

What I've heard is that Super Sentai in Japan isn't doing so hot right now, but that was from a few months ago

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

It won't be Real Animorphs if it isn't vigorously peppered with Peak 90s isms like calling Rachel "Xena, Warrior Princess" and referring to the Sega Genesis Jake owns while calling bad guys freakazoids.

And no, I don't mean make it a Stranger Things-esqe 90s period nostalgia trip, I mean set it in the 2020s and keep all the 90s stuff like some strange alt-reality where we never aged out of this (aka our own reality.)

If you have your average adult screenwriter do it there’s a chance they’ll do it and think it’s still current anyway.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man, Samurai was such a loving awful season. They just did a straight adaptation of Shinkenger, but horseshit instead of excellent.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Jacob Geller talks about his fascination with rollercoasters and Rollercoaster Tycoon.

https://youtu.be/K4VLPThmBoI

Spoiler for the first 10 seconds of the video: had to do a double take on that content warning

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jacob Geller is the best in the business right now, especially considering the frequency and consistency of his output.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Man, Samurai was such a loving awful season. They just did a straight adaptation of Shinkenger, but horseshit instead of excellent.

It was, but it captured a new generation. Especially since it was on a major kids network instead of being hidden away in a side kids network.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

New Best of the Worst! Mike and Rich compete to uuh do something involving bad movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuS8ek6OM44&list=PLJ_TJFLc25JR3VZ7Xe-cmt4k3bMKBZ5Tm&index=2&t=0s

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Jamie Faith posted:

New Best of the Worst! Mike and Rich compete to uuh do something involving bad movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuS8ek6OM44&list=PLJ_TJFLc25JR3VZ7Xe-cmt4k3bMKBZ5Tm&index=2&t=0s

was Rich's first pick necessary :geno:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

tudabee posted:

was Rich's first pick necessary :geno:

Yeah...poo poo I should have put a trigger warning! :cripes: sorry about that

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah...poo poo I should have put a trigger warning! :cripes: sorry about that

Oh, I didn't think of that either! My :geno: was directed at them, not you

For those who haven't clicked, Rich Evans has to find a film in their collection with, and I quote, "depiction of rape on the cover."

He has to struggle with doing so for several minutes and give Mike a dollar before they let him pick something else.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 21, 2020

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Poparena's latest episode of Nick Knacks is up, and while it's topically about the Shari Show, it's more a mini-biopic on Shari Lewis, the creator of Lambchop (of Lambchop's Play-Along fame), and how she's slowly disappearing from everyone's memory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYjOjLdopA&t=0s

I thought it was a bit depressing. She deserves to be remembered.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Arist posted:

My Hero Academia's critiques of hero society feel bizarrely weak. Like, the entire Gentle arc is about how the villain feels railroaded by circumstance, losing everything due to naivete and innocent mistakes. He's completely sympathetic... but then when he gets captured there's a scene implying he gets a second chance and gets recruited. There's just no teeth.

I'm also not sure that the show actually presents any kind of solution or alternative to the "Symbol of Peace" problem where All Might is so incredibly powerful that his existence is an active deterrent to villains. It's like, yeah, I guess it's hosed that the stability of society hinges on one dude who is slowly losing his powers and dying. What should the characters do about it that won't just replicate the problem with someone else?

Have you read the side manga, it's like, infinitely better than BNHA. Vigilantes I think it's called?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

Poparena's latest episode of Nick Knacks is up, and while it's topically about the Shari Show, it's more a mini-biopic on Shari Lewis, the creator of Lambchop (of Lambchop's Play-Along fame), and how she's slowly disappearing from everyone's memory:

So does Ernie Coombs (Mr. Dress Up,) but sadly they both disappeared into memory holes not long after they passed.

Man I haven't watched the video but I thought Lewis' daughter had taken up the Lamb Chop mantle but due to rights issues she's only allowed to use the character for live shows. DreamWorks has the tv and movie rights.

She really wants to return Lamb Chop to TV and I really hope she can one day.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 21, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Shinji2015 posted:

this was a really good look at a super interesting woman who i only knew because "this is the song that doesn't end*" is lodged in the recesses of my brain from watching Lamb Chop's as a kid

*(yes it goes on and on, my friends)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

So does Ernie Coombs (Mr. Dress Up,) but sadly they both disappeared into memory holes not long after they passed.

Man I haven't watched the video but I thought Lewis' daughter had taken up the Lamb Chop but due to rights issues she's only allowed to use the character for live shows.

She really wants to return Lamb Chop to TV and I really hope she can one day.

Lewis's daughter is mentioned to be the new voice of Lamb Chop, but I might have missed it if Poparena said anything about rights issues; he mostly lamented that the character's been missing on TV since Shari's death.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

this was a really good look at a super interesting woman who i only knew because "this is the song that doesn't end*" is lodged in the recesses of my brain from watching Lamb Chop's as a kid

*(yes it goes on and on, my friends)

Same. When I started the video, I went, "hey, she looks familiar," and it took a couple of minutes for the name to click.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

DoctorWhat posted:

Jacob Geller is the best in the business right now, especially considering the frequency and consistency of his output.

The rate at which he can be compelling macabre about stuff is quite impressive

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
One thing that's amazing about Shari Lewis is that all of her puppet voices are both distinctively her yet unique enough to give them their own characters.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

LegalEagle talks about police reform.

Excellent video. I was a little apprehensive looking at the title, since a few of his recent videos have felt a little hyperbolic, but he approaches the subject in a very reasonable and practical way.

Police reform is one subject that should in theory get support from lots of different points on the political spectrum besides the left, since many on the moderate right and libertarian side of things aren’t exactly keen on the idea of government enforcers going around terrorizing private citizens. I’m not sure there’s going to be any lasting change as a result of all this, since the most powerful force in politics is inertia, but hey, bringing attention to the issue can’t hurt.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It's a fairly milquetoast video overall, but it's handy to get a good sense for where liberals are in terms of police abolition. Some of it is stuff that we've tried and can say fairly confidently doesn't work, but the ability to have a further conversation is clearly there and that's encouraging.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Left wing people want the police abolished, right wing people want the police to be even more fascist. It's only the pathetic centrist liberal quibbling over reform.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it feels like whenever anyone talks about 'community policing' and 'neighborhood watch groups' as police 'reform' options they should be forced to disclaimer it with 'Trayvon Martin was murdered by a neighborhood watch wannabe cop freak who's still just hangin out signing skittles bags for other white supremacists'

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only meaningful reform from which all others must follow is that when a cop murders someone they go to prison forever. Because at this point the primary reason people become cops is to get away with murder.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 21, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tudabee posted:

Oh, I didn't think of that either! My :geno: was directed at them, not you

For those who haven't clicked, Rich Evans has to find a film in their collection with, and I quote, "depiction of rape on the cover."

He has to struggle with doing so for several minutes and give Mike a dollar before they let him pick something else.

i found it sorta darkly funny because half of those lovely movies they watch for that show lean heavily on rape for titilation/other poo poo and they have talked about how hosed up that those movies do that

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Bakeneko posted:

Police reform is one subject that should in theory get support from lots of different points on the political spectrum besides the left, since many on the moderate right and libertarian side of things aren’t exactly keen on the idea of government enforcers going around terrorizing private citizens. I’m not sure there’s going to be any lasting change as a result of all this, since the most powerful force in politics is inertia, but hey, bringing attention to the issue can’t hurt.

At least in the United States context, this is not true in practice. Generally white conservatives view police as kindred spirits and vice-versa. Hence the Bundy family entering into an armed standoff against BLM (Bureau of Land Management) agents and getting off with a shockingly lenient sentence.

Whereas people who film police brutality end up dying of "suicide" a few months/years down the line in a burnt out car.

US police are pretty close to a straight-up violent white supremacist gang at this point, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

At least in the United States context, this is not true in practice. Generally white conservatives view police as kindred spirits and vice-versa. Hence the Bundy family entering into an armed standoff against BLM (Bureau of Land Management) agents and getting off with a shockingly lenient sentence.

Whereas people who film police brutality end up dying of "suicide" a few months/years down the line in a burnt out car.

US police are pretty close to a straight-up violent white supremacist gang at this point, frankly.

Yeah, the authoritarian right that's entrenched in the U.S. is its own twisted, hypocritical thing. They talk a lot about how the country was born from revolution against a corrupt government but when push comes to shove they'll support corruption so long as it benefits them.