Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

The way heroes did it (before i left) was the worst. It was impossible to tell what any unit had at a glance, you had to check everything. And there wasnt a prep screen, where they might have put in an enemy list for easy checking

Heroes started out with similar skill loads to Fates, but that just about worked because you only had to worry about four or so units.

Then they bloated the individual skills so every skill could act like five skills. And they made maps have dozens of respawning enemies, with their own unique skills.

It stops being workable pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I mean also not because it's actually like... surprisingly similar to the design we gave her with a colour shift?

https://i.imgur.com/XtZmDsL.gifv

But, FUUUUUUUCK

Don't make me get this redone, tell the goblins to leave me alone, it's fine, it's perfectly fine, everything is fine...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That art alone justifies that card game existing holy poo poo.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hellioning posted:

That art alone justifies that card game existing holy poo poo.

Too bad it won't exist anymore soon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I mean also not because it's actually like... surprisingly similar to the design we gave her with a colour shift?

But, FUUUUUUUCK
They also seemingly made Lilina use her magical abilities to telekinetically control Armads, eerily similar to how the end of the crit animation plays out.

Onmi, I'd triple check to see if Nintendo didn't set up some spy equipment in your house when you weren't looking. :tinfoil:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Amppelix posted:

yes, that's what they're saying. you needed to get nils to level 7 during that very short time. (well, "needed," if you really want to see this one bonus chapter)

Oh that's some requirement for 1 single line of dialogue.

Also I just notice this in FE7 compared to Awakening. There are a lot more normal names versus fantasy names. Like whole of Black Fang have these exotic names than there is a dude who is a general called Brendan. Also Matthew the thief , even Mark the tactician. It's like having one of Aragorn's friends in the fellowship of the ring be called Bob.

I don't really mind it but it's kinda funny.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

But, FUUUUUUUCK

Don't make me get this redone, tell the goblins to leave me alone, it's fine, it's perfectly fine, everything is fine...
your lilina is sick, dont change her

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ulio posted:

Also I just notice this in FE7 compared to Awakening. There are a lot more normal names versus fantasy names. Like whole of Black Fang have these exotic names than there is a dude who is a general called Brendan. Also Matthew the thief , even Mark the tactician. It's like having one of Aragorn's friends in the fellowship of the ring be called Bob.

For Elibe, a lot of the characters name draw from Arthurian Myth, French Myth (mostly the song of Roland) and a bit of Celtic/Welsh. It's how we had Lugh and Lleu but the latter was meant to be pronounced "Ray" which is also how you're supposed to pronounce Raigh his english localized name.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

Eh, FE names have always been fairly grounded, even with them not wanting to reuse names across the franchise. There's a few oddballs but the full-on fantasy names are pretty rare, pretty much everything is either a real name or derived from mythology.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Camilla's name always messes with me a little bit because "camilla" (pronounced similar to Platinum Games' developer Hideki 'Kamiya') is what hospital beds are commonly called.

Manuela in 3H was just unfortunate, though. :(

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Even Awakening had a decent mix. Robin, Lissa, Maribelle, Kellam, Henry... I could go on, but at least half the cast have "normal" Anglo-Saxon style names.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

daermon posted:

Even Awakening had a decent mix. Robin, Lissa, Maribelle, Kellam, Henry... I could go on, but at least half the cast have "normal" Anglo-Saxon style names.

Ya I guess those are pretty normal and lots of names have European ancestry but those names don't feel as common these days compared to Brendan except maybe Henry.

Anyway this chapter 22 is hard as balls. Paul and Jasmine the axe bro bosses are tough as poo poo + they outspeed so many units. Unfortunately I have spent all the previous chapters feeding my cavalry units. I am having trouble reaching Pent + Hawkeye and getting the items near the bones.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ulio posted:

Ya I guess those are pretty normal and lots of names have European ancestry but those names don't feel as common these days compared to Brendan except maybe Henry.

Anyway this chapter 22 is hard as balls. Paul and Jasmine the axe bro bosses are tough as poo poo + they outspeed so many units. Unfortunately I have spent all the previous chapters feeding my cavalry units. I am having trouble reaching Pent + Hawkeye and getting the items near the bones.

Do you have a strong flyer for this? Usually I rely on Florina to spirit away Pent immediately. I wouldn't stress about reaching every item, though. I think Fila's Might and the Body Ring should be top priority, and the Ocean Seal if you're using Dart. The rest are good but there are plenty of opportunities to get a Hero Crest, I personally care little for the Light Brand, and Eclipse is basically worthless (entirely useless if you aren't running Canas at all.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Malpais Legate posted:

Do you have a strong flyer for this? Usually I rely on Florina to spirit away Pent immediately. I wouldn't stress about reaching every item, though. I think Fila's Might and the Body Ring should be top priority, and the Ocean Seal if you're using Dart. The rest are good but there are plenty of opportunities to get a Hero Crest, I personally care little for the Light Brand, and Eclipse is basically worthless (entirely useless if you aren't running Canas at all.)

It's been a while, but doesnt at least one of the pair sit still until you come in range?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

It's been a while, but doesnt at least one of the pair sit still until you come in range?

It's been a while for me too, hm. Maybe it's one of them charges you and when he dies, the other comes at you? I think I recall not having enough time because eventually both of them will suicide on your units.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
(Please skip if you've never played Genealogy and are following Metis' fantastic LP)

I just finished replaying FE4 as a refresher for Professor Metis' LP: I had forgotten how much of a pain that fight against the triplets that accompany Ishtar's last stand is. Thank loving god Ares, Arthur and Ced turned out decent, because Manfroy and Julius + the deadlords were goddamn pushovers in comparison to these three, even when deciding to forego using Julia.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's the SR+ vesrion of that Lilina on a throne
https://twitter.com/theprinceofiris/status/1275335323862605824

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Wow Lilina, why does Roy let you have TWO Legendary weapons?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
two lord parents

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

rannum posted:

Here's the SR+ vesrion of that Lilina on a throne
https://twitter.com/theprinceofiris/status/1275335323862605824

She looks like she’s planning a dark and terrible reign of oppression, but is cursed to never be taken seriously thanks to being an adorable anime child.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

Wow Lilina, why does Roy let you have TWO Legendary weapons?

Who said Roy was the one making decisions?

Not like his father was in charge of the alliance.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tired Moritz posted:

two lord parents
Also? Sheer chutzpah, pizzazz and plenty a'pluck.

Same reason Sigurd gets the Silver Sword three fourths into the prologue and then Tyrfing, Alm gets the Royal Blade halfway through his journey and the Kingsfang before the big battle, Lyn gets the Mani & Sol Katti AND Mulagir, Ephraim gets the Reginleif at the beginning and then Siegmund.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lyn's iconic bow, the Mulagir, found only in the game she does not show up in

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

rannum posted:

Lyn's iconic bow, the Mulagir, found only in the game she does not show up in

Not just "doesn't show up in", literally did not exist in. :v: (She was an FE7 original)

E: And while we're there Sol Katti both royally sucks on account of being way too heavy for her and isn't even really a legendary weapon. It's basically a sword Athos found in the basement so she wouldn't get left out when Eliwood and Hector got the real toys.

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 23, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And her regular sword animations are better than the Sol Katti animations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

And her regular sword animations are better than the Sol Katti animations.

That's true for basically all the special legendary weapon animations in FE6/7 with the exception of the Sword of Seals.

Most of the rest look incredibly stupid

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The sol katti was such a stupid decision when she has a legitimate claim to both mulagir and durandal due to her mixed heritage

Also her big sword animation that got dummied out was neat

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Artix posted:

Not just "doesn't show up in", literally did not exist in. :v: (She was an FE7 original)

E: And while we're there Sol Katti both royally sucks on account of being way too heavy for her and isn't even really a legendary weapon. It's basically a sword Athos found in the basement so she wouldn't get left out when Eliwood and Hector got the real toys.

Wasn’t she retconned into being the mother of Roy or Lilina and also being dead in FE6?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Wasn’t she retconned into being the mother of Roy or Lilina and also being dead in FE6?

only if you have her marry eliwood or hector, and given how hard they push eliwood and ninian its pretty safe to assume shes not meant to be the canon mother for roy. hector has two other potential wives so its not like she's guaranteed there either

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think the only Mother of Roy that is meant to be dead between FE6 & 7 is Ninian ("short life", I think Bramimond's miracle was probably meant to be short? idk 100% tho).

All the other wives are just like "drat i love Eliwood and also my son" and I think neither the epilogue or FE6 imply anything about them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hector/Lyn gets extra scenes and the most logical explanation for why Lyn's part of Lycia gets folded into Ostia in between the two games, so I think that's as canon as it ever gets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eliwood and Ninian are super obviously canon. Roy being part dragon makes a lot of FE6 have a bit more weight, on top of the fact that the main game basically advances along the plotline of them being romantic interests. Plus her dying explains why Roy's mother isn't around in FE6.

For Hector, I assume Farina's meant to be the canon one due to being exclusive to his route, but who knows. All his paired endings are just find and replace jobs with Lyn/Florina/Farina's name as his wife so there's no real info to glean there. You'd think they'd bother to go 'and also caelin and ostia got combined' in the Lyn and Hector ending if it was meant to be canon. And Florina gets a unique scene with Hector too.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lyn hands caelin to hector regardless of the ending

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lyn/Florina

Eliwood/Fiora

Hector/Farina

One lord for every peg sister

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Caelin also comes across as a fairly minor territory even by the standards of the Lycean League, and by the end of the game has seen both a successor conflict and SEVERAL external invasions within a fairly short period of time. With Lyndis returning to Sacae in most endings, the minor territory that now has nobody in the line of succession, and has seen what would realistically be a fair amount of damage, getting folded into a major territory isn't remotely surprising.

There are certainly unique scenes between Lyn and Hector, but those scenes are nowhere near as explicitly romantic as Eliwood and Ninian or get anywhere near as much story focus. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that pairing, but any of his pairings work fine and it's nowhere near as implicitly canon as something like Eliwood/Ninian or Chrom/Sumia, where the game beats you over the head with non-support romantic scenes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lyn/Florina

Eliwood/Fiora

Hector/Farina

One lord for every peg sister
Emphasis on peg

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sharrrk posted:

only if you have her marry eliwood or hector, and given how hard they push eliwood and ninian its pretty safe to assume shes not meant to be the canon mother for roy. hector has two other potential wives so its not like she's guaranteed there either

Funny thing is, the first set of Awakening DLC pushes Lyn and Eliwood a little.

Nothing terribly heavy, but it gives them similar lines to the other implied couples who show up. Eliwood talks some about how Lyn's a better fighter than he is.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Zore posted:

That's true for basically all the special legendary weapon animations in FE6/7 with the exception of the Sword of Seals.

Most of the rest look incredibly stupid

I like Aureola's animation a lot but the rest suffer from being sixty years long with little payoff.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think a lot of them have too many flourishes, and too much time spinning the weapon around with one hand. And the Sol Katti adds in the boob physics for some reason.

Although I do like the little flash of light you get when you start combat with a legendary weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
They're also mostly comically oversized to the point of insanity.

Like Durandal is just casually longer than Eliwood is tall and he's swinging that poo poo with ease one handed.