Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/RAF_Luton/status/1271439405018906624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Enraging nerds is fun as hell

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
What's a few tons between friends

https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1271477147081867265?s=20

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That's not a jagdtiger!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's not a jagdtiger!

D'oh! Your right. Ferdinand is short by a few tons.

Given the sparse training Jagdtiger crews got, wouldn't surprise me if they'd also try to drive over an under rated bridge.

Speak of the devil:
https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1271501113347497987?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 12, 2020

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

GERMAN EFFICIENCY

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

D'oh! Your right. Ferdinand is short by a few tons.

Given the sparse training Jagdtiger crews got, wouldn't surprise me if they'd also try to drive over an under rated bridge.

Speak of the devil:
https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1271501113347497987?s=20

Should've just put an asterisk with "At the time" :P

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They crossed the bridge

off the map.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Check out this classic dick art mural by Keith Haring (extremely, hilariously :nws: so I'm not linking it)

code:
https://twitter.com/Daniel_Fountain/status/1272423533382193154

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Jesus. Just shoot me.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

A Bad Poster posted:

Jesus. Just shoot me.

They can't! Not enough rifles. That's why they were issued spiked bats.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

They can't! Not enough rifles. That's why they were issued spiked bats.

Also China is trying to avoid a shooting war with India.....while still having the ability to "force" their way into Indian claimed territory.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Beating someone with a trench club yelling "Not shooting you! Not shooting you!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't wait to see what full plate armor 21st century materials science can cook up

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

That's nasty, but I'm surprised it works so well. I though India still had a tradition of martial arts with weapons. A spiked club shouldn't win against a kukri or tulwar in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. If the PLA tries to keep pushing the borders while holding to the agreement forbidding guns, bring some sikhs up their and stab them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvertGZkwF4

This is part of the 1996 Indo-Chinese agreement

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 19, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You're thinking of the Gurkhas.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Indian army still has over 40,000 Gurkhas. But I was also thinking about how British officers felt their sabers and fencing skills were outclassed by the Indians during the Indian Rebellion of 1857.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That excerpt doesn't prohibit guns, it prohibits hunting with guns near the border, to avoid a misunderstanding.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

golden bubble posted:

That's nasty, but I'm surprised it works so well. I though India still had a tradition of martial arts with weapons. A spiked club shouldn't win against a kukri or tulwar in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. If the PLA tries to keep pushing the borders while holding to the agreement forbidding guns, bring some sikhs up their and stab them.

While you studied the massed formations of clubs, I studied the bla—
*death by club*

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

golden bubble posted:

I though India still had a tradition of martial arts with weapons. A spiked club shouldn't win against a kukri or tulwar in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

Lmao this is the gooniest thing I've seen in a while

E) youch

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 19, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lmao this is the gooniest thing I've seen in a while

Long time since a power outage huh?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ded posted:

You're thinking of the Gurkhas.

Isn't part of Sikhism to carry a ceremonial knife? I'm assuming that's what was being referred to

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MikeCrotch posted:

Isn't part of Sikhism to carry a ceremonial knife? I'm assuming that's what was being referred to

Gurkhas were badasses that kicked the poo poo out of the british, much like the Maori. It's why they still to this day have a special recruiting thing for them.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MikeCrotch posted:

They also have a traditional system of martial arts concerned with the use of that knife (kirpan) and the bangle they wear on one wrist (kara). In the end, Sikhs, Ghurkas, India has a diversity of warrior cultures that would probably love to go stab PLA troops

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That should make up for the Chinese military budget being four times as large :v:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Well I guess now we know how effective knives are against a platoon of angry motherfuckers trying to push you off a mountain with giant spiked clubs :shrug:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

ded posted:

Gurkhas were badasses that kicked the poo poo out of the british, much like the Maori. It's why they still to this day have a special recruiting thing for them.

Pictured: Your doom, yesterday

Ghurkas are straight up loving terrifying. Wether it's Dipprasad Pun who fought off 30 Taliban single handedly, expending 400 rounds, 18 grenades and a landmine. When he ran out of ammo, he disabled an enemy fighter who was approaching his position on the roof by throwing his machine gun tripod at him. “At first I was a bit scared, and I thought definitely they are going to kill me. But as soon as I started firing, that feeling went away.”

Victoria Cross winning Lachhiman Gurung who was in a trench with two other soldiers in Burma when 200 Japanese army soldiers turn up. Lachhiman and the two other soliders were in an advanced flanked position, and were aware that if they were overrun then the Japanese would be able to take out the entire 4th Batallion. Lachhiman threw back two grenades, with the third exploding in his right hand. As the Japanese stormed the trench, Lachhiman used his rifle with only his left hand and personally killed 31 of the enemy. He survived, received the VC, and lived to the ripe old age of 92.

Another Ghurka in WW2 who won a VC, Bhanubhakta Gurung who captured an enemy bunker almost singlehandedly. His platoon of 10 men came under heavy fire from MG's, mortars and a sniper. Gurung picks the sniper out of the tree, then charges up the hill. He took out a foxhole by lobbing on three grenades, affixed his bayonet and then proceeded to go from foxhole to foxhole stabbing the gently caress out of anyone too stupid to run away. He was under LMG fire almost constantly. Making his way to the bunker, he threw two smoke grenades through the firing slit. He waited by the back door, killing the exiting soldiers with his Kukri knife. He then advanced into the smokey, cramped bunker and killed the gently caress out of the remaining Japanese troop. Survived to 86 years old.

There were 12 more VC awards given to Ghurka troops during WW2, all stories similar to the ones above.

Detachments of Ghurkas were routinely deployed with British troops as "protection" duty while moving through the jungles of south east asia. It was common for the Ghurka to signal to Commonwealth troops to wait, while they would silently melt into the jungle, returning minutes later after having silently murdered an enemy patrol.

"If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or he is a Gurkha." - Former Indian Army Chief of Staff Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
At a US Army base i was at overseas where the US contracted out Gurkha unarmed* security, they still were so disciplined and deliberate and professional it was highly impressive. Not one inch given with regard to security standards, but they never, ever flexed unnecessarily.

*no guns, other weapons

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Goddamn those stories are insane. Also they have the dopest badges on their berets

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Reminds me of Cpl John J. Spillane, walked away from a signed contract with the Cardinals to enlist after Pearl Harbor and ended up fielding three grenades out of a landing craft at Tarawa.

https://www.tarawaontheweb.org/spillanejohn.htm

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
One more thing on the Ghurkas then I'll shut the gently caress up. I was trying to find a source on a story I had heard about an Lt in the BAF in Burma saying that he had to ensure he and his men always had their collar insignia on at all times, because at night the Ghurka would feel for british insignia on the collar before they cut your head off.

I didn't find the source for that story, but I found this instead. From "Through the Hitler Line: Memoirs of an Infantry Chaplain" by Laurence F. Wilmot, MC:

"The men hated Ronnie because he had sent them out on night patrols. But shortly after we left the Arielli front, we heard stories that seemed to vindicate his strategy. The British colonel in charge of the Marette Regiment, which replaced us, decided that because the front was quiet it did not warrant these strenuous exercists. The Marettas sent out no fighting patrols and all remained quiet and peaceful for a few days. Then a 150-man enemy patrol suddenly penetrated a mile and a half through the lines of the Marettas, capturing some important prisonders and documents, and the colonel was enraged. He then sent out a patrol of two stealthy Ghurkas. There was silence until they returned. In the debriefing, the leader reported that they had located an outpost where all three guards were asleep. They proceeded to cut the heads off the men on either side, leaving the man in the centre asleep. On being questioned why they let him live, they said it was important that he should awaken to disover what had happened, and report it to his unit. The Maretta Regiment regularly carried out patrols from the tat time on, but they found no enemy sleeping."

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

To start off, I am the first male member of my family not involved in the Gurkhas or the military. Every male member including those married to the women of my family have been in the British, Indian or Brunei gurkha units. I am where I am today directly because of the financial and educational benefits the gurkhas have provided my family, but it was also the active attempts by the generation before me to direct me and my generation away from that life. I respect what it has provided, but hate the Gurkhas as an institution.

A brief info on the gurkhas. In the early 1700’s Nepal as we know it was a collection of warring kingdoms and city states. It was finally consolidated into a single kingdom by the Gorkha Shah dynasty through a series of expansionist wars. The expansionist wars eventually led to a confrontation with the British East India Company (EIC) during the early 1800’s. So by the time of the anglo-nepalese war the EIC ended up facing an army that was experienced and well organized. The story goes that the EIC were so impressed they ended up hiring them after the war. But the reality is that this arrangement was a common practice by the british throughout their colonies using different ethnic groups to against each other (paid mercenaries are more reliable than local levies etc). The agreement benefited the Gorkha raj too, since they were at the time still consolidating their new territories which were composed of different ethnic groups.

When you look at the list of Gurkha VC recipients, you will often see a lot of last names ending in Gurung, Thapa, Lama etc. Nepal is a country with over a 100 different ethnic groups with their own religion and languages. The Gorkha raj is composed of high caste hindus and much of the territories conquered in the 1700’s were of people practicing buddhism or different forms of shamanism. So both the EIC and the Gorkha raj are dealing with controlling populations that do not share a common religion or ethnicity. By the 1850’s during after the Indian mutiny, majority of the gurkha recruits were non hindu ethnicities like Gurungs, Thapa, Lama etc. So now the Gorkha raj can export peoples of problematic populations abroad and the EIC can use a non hindu group of soldiers to put down hindus. Since then, the Gurkhas have been used in every single colonial project the British have been involved in. They (Gurkhas) were vital in putting down the local rebellions (India, Malaya, China), vital in policing the Frontiers (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bengal etc).

Social or political participation in Nepal for non hindu populations were heavily limited in the 1800’s (and in a way to this day). With the opportunity provided by the employment by the Brtitish, a lot of men left their villages to go join. In the early period, the recruitment center was in Lahor where most men walked to (to this day, men who join are called Lahore in our community). With a limited number of slots, the ability for the Gurkha regiments to pick and choose from the large pool of applicants is what I believe to be one of the reasons for their success. As the need for soldiers grew during WWI and WWII recruitment moved to Sikkim (northern india) and eventually into Nepal itself (Nepal only opened up its borders in the 1950’s). You can see the older recruitment process here in this BBC docu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2MgB5R60Mo
At 32:00 you can see the recruits singing and the narrator saying "the spending their evenings singing songs about himalayan mountains or hacking peoples heads off!". The recruits are singing a popular song from a nepali movie...

I am sure you all can see the problems with British officers picking and choosing from a selection of naked men (or the whole tone of the docu). This was in 1995, when I was very young and the maoist insurgency was slowly taking shape. The poverty and lack of services are not because Nepalis are backwards, but the Nepali royal family had been actively stalling development for years.

Porters crrying a car from India to Kathmandu for the royal family sometime in the 1950's

Nowadays Gurungs and Thapas are the richest ethnic group in Nepal. Ownership of companies and business (Bhatbhatini supermarket group, Himalayan Coffee etc) spurred by work in the Gurkhas has led to big changes within Nepal. The Civil war coupled with a large population of well educated and well off (by nepali standards) Gurkhas has led to the opening up of the government. But the caste system still exists, inequality still exists. Gurkhas who settled in and around their postings are still having problems assimilating or finding opportunities (in Hong Kong or Britain, the populations of Nepalis are regularly abused by police and work as laborers). To put it in perspective in 2007, the British government finally agreed to pay Gurkha pensioners full pensions equal to their British counterparts and to allow residency in Britain for Gurkha soldiers. My family used to talk about PTSD before it was talked of as PTSD, it was something we thought of as normal for people who became Gurkhas.

Two pics of Gurungs both taken around 1970's. The man in the uniform is my grandpa.

Sorry about long rambling post. I will try to edit it better later and answer any questions you guys have.

Edit: I want to add that social relations within the Gurung community has also been changed drastically. What was once a very matriarchal society (women had control over land, marriage, religious matters), where homosexuality was a common activity, has now become more hindu or british. With the economic power residing in the men's access to income (through the Gurkhas) and a need to be accepted into mainstream society/politics, patriarchal practices became the norm. My grandmother who still followed more of the older traditions let my mother and her sisters marry who they pleased and that was seen as a very "hillbilly" (dont know how to describe it, but people saw my family as backwards) by the rest of the community. But then again, slow transition to more patriarchy would have happened anyways without the Gurkhas probably.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 21, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

ughhhh posted:

Gurkhas who settled in and around their postings are still having problems assimilating or finding opportunities (in Hong Kong or Britain, the populations of Nepalis are regularly abused by police and work as laborers).

How much resentment lingers from being seen as the right arm of the empire, and how much is garden variety racism?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Platystemon posted:

How much resentment lingers from being seen as the right arm of the empire, and how much is garden variety racism?

Mostly just racism and resentment towards the poor. Things have gotten very strange with regards to who to hate and what history to talk of in Hong Kong over the years with resentment towards PRC taking precedence over remembering the recent past. When the handover happened with PRC in 1997 the brigade of Gurkha's stationed there was disbanded and Nepalese nationals were given the choice to remain. By that point in local memory most of the policing and repression was done by the local police which was handed over to the PRC. Gurkha's were mostly responsible for patrolling the borders. Many ex gurkha's ended up working menial jobs in the service industry (they spoke English, had "propper manners"). There was a killing of a homeless Nepali who was a vagrant in one of the HK parks that happens a few years ago where the cops claimed "self defence" and media dubbed "wild foreigner attacks valiant hk police".

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ughhhh posted:

To start off, I am the first male member of my family not involved in the Gurkhas or the military. Every male member including those married to the women of my family have been in the British, Indian or Brunei gurkha units. I am where I am today directly because of the financial and educational benefits the gurkhas have provided my family, but it was also the active attempts by the generation before me to direct me and my generation away from that life. I respect what it has provided, but hate the Gurkhas as an institution.

Thank you so much for sharing this

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thanks for that kickass info dump

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Thank you for posting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Where do you live now?