Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

DuckConference posted:

it seemed like curve had been "flattened" enough in most places for ICU capacity to not be an issue, but it looks like Arizona and Florida might be about to test that theory, so that's a reasonable point.

i think the point I'm trying to make is that people's political/personal/economic tolerance for lockdown measures turns out to have been a very limited resource, and I don't think it's being spent in an efficient way. like right now we need to find a set of measures that are tolerable for 1+ year while avoiding health care system collapse and it doesn't seem like anyone in charge is pursuing policies that make sense.

like we're angry about idiots being being anti-mask, but it was only 3 months ago that their own government was telling them that masks don't work. i want people in charge who can handle a crisis better than the cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I don't just mean trump, the new york leadership poo poo the bed completely and yet people seem fine with that? people want to make statues for Dr. Fauci and he was totally fine with lying to people about the effectiveness of masks back in february.

there are definitely things to do (economic, leadership, etc) to make restrictions more endurable and effective but the worst (uk, usa, russia, brazil) are choosing to make things worse; LIBERATE MICHIGAN, etc.

trust is the scarcest commodity in a crisis so who and usa hosed up real bad on masks; fauci has made the choice to stay in the tent and I’d rather have him there than not

ultimately the grading curve is set by the president so cuomo looks good because he sounded competent addressing the problem he exacerbated and he’s in the biggest media market (vis nobody knows who washington’s governor is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fart simpson posted:

well i mean none of the health experts were really saying masks didnt work because they honestly believed they didnt work. they were lying to prevent a run on masks so there were enough for healthcare workers. maybe the government shouldnt constantly ruin its credibility if it wants people to listen

the Surgeon General was saying it very loudly but lol at trusting anything that comes from a trump appointee

or anything out of the current us government

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I wouldn’t blame the government’s comms on that point considering that’s like a tiny part of how bungled the whole handling was and the head of the nation still calls for less testing to make this go away.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Why I’m not going anywhere forever: this catholic school waited until the county went green to stage a graduation party where they ignored all the green phase rules.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

people are wearing masks to spite me, etc

Apr 7, 2003

MononcQc posted:

I wouldn’t blame the government’s comms on that point considering that’s like a tiny part of how bungled the whole handling was and the head of the nation still calls for less testing to make this go away.

The match that lit the tinder off in Italy was a third of the town of Bergamo going to a football game in a neighboring town.

There are people at this Tulsa rally who drove in from Ohio and Colorado.

A lot of people are going to get sick from this and the response is going to be “see? No one died, Democrat hoax!” style gaslighting no matter how many people die.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the president is probably going to come one stage in like a spacesuit or the south park kathy lee gifford bubble

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
he’s gonna livestream from his bunker

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a bit of controversial stuff in the rest of the post(s)

yeah, I seem to have some sort of need to be a contrarian rear end in a top hat. I don't know if that's serving me well in life.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The match that lit the tinder off in Italy was a third of the town of Bergamo going to a football game in a neighboring town.

There are people at this Tulsa rally who drove in from Ohio and Colorado.

A lot of people are going to get sick from this and the response is going to be “see? No one died, Democrat hoax!” style gaslighting no matter how many people die.

reply guys to Elon musk tweets (hell maybe even musk himself) love to gossip about every physician at hospitals declaring every cause of death as Covid so it’s just a big scam you see

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

‘they died with covid not of covid’ is the chestnut

George Floyd being COVID positive has been a real spaceman-button conundrum for those so inclined

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Why I’m not going anywhere forever: this catholic school waited until the county went green to stage a graduation party where they ignored all the green phase rules.

the weird tradcaths are going to be the 90s evangelicals of the late 2020s/2030s

their power level is rising quickly

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
are they the really nutso ones that reject vatican II?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

...a power level beyond Vatican I....

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

are they the really nutso ones that reject vatican II?

yeah some of them

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

My building has over 2.2m square feet of leasable floor space, I don't fuckin' know, I just made that number up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Steel_Tower

Substitute your own loving numbers if you don't like mine

okay. the building now has 5000 elevators but each person is forced to use the same one due to maintenance

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Agile Vector posted:

okay. the building now has 5000 elevators but each person is forced to use the same one due to maintenance

i was 99% wfh in my later months at Sendgrid but they moved the office to this ridiculous skyscraper and it had two elevators, one was for floors 1-(1/2 max height) and the other was (1/2 max height)-(max). It hosed with me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i was 99% wfh in my later months at Sendgrid but they moved the office to this ridiculous skyscraper and it had two elevators, one was for floors 1-(1/2 max height) and the other was (1/2 max height)-(max). It hosed with me

geezy. i get frustrated when there's three elevators and waiting, i cant imagine only one and having to do it twice in a row to get somewhere

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i assume they just cheaped out and didn't want to buy the full-height elevator.

that or they did have a full-height elevator somewhere but only the executives could use it, like at the GM headquarters

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

the Union Pacific headquarters building is the same way pretty much

one corridor of elevators for one set of floors, another for the other, with an intersection at to top of the lower set

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
John Kerry was labeled a “flip flopper” for changing his stance on something, I don’t even remember what. republicans showed up to rallies with giant flip flop props as a huge zinger. they also wore bandaids with Purple Hearts drawn on them.

republicans have always been garbage people

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

invasion of iraq iirc

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

it’s a load/trip management thing; two elevators serving 60 floors at 2 minutes per stop vs two sets of elevators at 30 floors at 2 per stop or whatever

smdh like you’ve never played simtower

my favorite gently caress you is when both banks can go to the penthouse/exec level

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PCjr sidecar posted:

srsly

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

more like simp tower

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PCjr sidecar posted:

my favorite gently caress you is when both banks can go to the penthouse/exec level

lol of course

Apr 7, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

The building has 56 elevators but the only way to get to the elevator lobby is to take one (1) escalator from street level lmao

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

My wife is being asked to go into the office next Thursday to get a teleconference room configured for a deposition

We both work in the same building, during normal hours it's a 64 floor building that filters over 5,000 people in and out through ONE escalator.

Sounds like a great place to be during a pandemic lol

my $MONSTER_CORP isn't opening up physical operations at headquarters anytime soon and probably not this calendar year for exactly this reason. it's nice, they're like "we can do whatever we want because of who we are and you all can stay the gently caress home until it's safe"

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i’ve had to stop going on walks after work because there’s so many people out and about at the park. all maskless. just shittons of people. currently enjoying an insomnia induced 6 am walk.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just counted eleven people inside the corner gas and there was one person wearing a mask

me

it's over! we're open! back to business as usual.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
we’re holding presidential elections in poland next week, can’t wait to see number go up, uP, UP!!!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fatal Error posted:

we’re holding presidential elections in poland next week, can’t wait to see number go up, uP, UP!!!!

do yall have any remote/mail voting or does everybody trudge down to the church or whatever

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
also i’m angry now because someone wrote “don’t be stupid, take off your mask!” on the ground

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
like, there’s a system for mail voting in theory but it’s capacity is limited because iirc it was designed mainly with allowing disabled/elderly people to voters mind, not take on a significant chunk of the ballots.

Fatal Error fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 21, 2020

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The building has 56 elevators but the only way to get to the elevator lobby is to take one (1) escalator from street level lmao

whoa, i misread that and thats actually even more bonkers lol

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
also we were supposed to hold the elections a few months ago and it was a whole shitshow.
basically the stupid fash government wanted to push the elections before the presidents approval rating predictably tanked due to the terrible government response. so we were supposed to have the whole country vote exclusively by mail, which was never done before here. i’m phone posting rn so i might do an effort post later. but basically a shitload of money was wasted, municipalities were supposed to hand over voters personal data and some of it leaked in plaintext i think, literally nothing was handled well.
meanwhile, the whole time everyone was saying the government should institute a state of emergency. this would allow it to legally postpone the elections and grant it the powers needed to manage the epidemic. instead the shithead government started passing laws to give themselves the required authority, of course. this process was also a ridiculous farce, with remote voting working terribly or opposition politicians being barred from the Sejm floor.
one of the laws absolved government officials of any crimes committed during the epidemic if they were done for the purpose of provisioning necessary supplies such as masks or ventilators. this is another story entirely because as it turns out our health minister has been running multiple grifts simultaneously the whole time. people were posting photos of him all sleep deprived and thinking it’s because he’d been working so hard. as it turns out, he’d actually been purchasing masks at inflated prices from his ski instructor and ventilators from arms dealers on UN black lists iirc.
also the election was technically held with zero attendance.
this has been a big ole ramble but basically poland in 2020 is also absolutely crazy.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

PCjr sidecar posted:

I love the epiphany moment when you realize it's not a tower simulator with elevators but an elevator simulator that takes place in a tower.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I work(ed) in a two bank building, one side of the hall went to the bottom half and one went to the top. I though there were pretty clearly labeled but yeah people would constantly get on the wrong ones and get confused when there was no button for their floor

only about 30 floors too, I’m surprised they thought it was worthwhile but I’m not an architect

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cjs: midnight ride downtown denver.

Literally shut down streets with big WELCOME BACK DENVER and block parties

every patio crammed full of drunk thots and bros

It was nice living on this earth with y'all. Make your peace because we're all going to die within 2 years lmao, either by corona or civil war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

cjs: midnight ride downtown denver.

Literally shut down streets with big WELCOME BACK DENVER and block parties

every patio crammed full of drunk thots and bros

It was nice living on this earth with y'all. Make your peace because we're all going to die within 2 years lmao, either by corona or civil war

dementia runs down both sides of my family so i’ve spent some thought on escape plans already.:cheerdoge: