Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BisbyWorl posted:

Ignore the custom bullet mechanics. Unlike 1 and 2 where you can get up to some really wacky stuff with them, GE3 nerfed the hell out of them by giving you a maximum cost limit on how many you can bring. Previously, custom bullets used the same ammo of your normal bullets, in 3 you can only take something like 1400 total cost and every bullet you bring takes up some.

Make a fancy bullet that has a cost of 200? You get seven. For one element. For the entire mission.

To make it even worse, when you start getting multi-stage missions later on in the game, custom bullet ammo carries over between stages. So suddenly you have 7 uses total of that shiny new round for 2-3 missions.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m still early in the game (just a couple of missions into the Chrysanthemum - REALLY early) but I’m really barely ever using guns at all. Is that something I should work into my routine more? Like I said, I’m usually garbage at hunter games but the flow and aesthetic of this one (outside of some of the thirstiest anime poo poo ever) has me kind of hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Something else that I only noticed on accident, during the game at any time you can just make your own custom difficulty level. Personally I'm doing Hard settings but with extra Exp and retries enabled so I don't have to grind. I kept money on normal because that seemed a lil bit too cheaty
Oh, poo poo, that reminds me.

* If you can get every card in Shuffle Time at once, you'll get a Sweep Bonus. This guarantees Shuffle Time and helps you get more cards, which means more Sweep Bonuses, which means more Shuffle Times, which etc. etc. etc. Grinding will become much smoother if you can keep a Shuffle Time streak going.

Edit: Added both tips.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 14, 2020

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

food court bailiff posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I’m still early in the game (just a couple of missions into the Chrysanthemum - REALLY early) but I’m really barely ever using guns at all. Is that something I should work into my routine more? Like I said, I’m usually garbage at hunter games but the flow and aesthetic of this one (outside of some of the thirstiest anime poo poo ever) has me kind of hooked.

For the most part you can go melee only, but there are some aragami later on that have a heavy weakness to guns.

If you want an easy to use gun type go with Ray Guns. Their gimmick is that you can dump your OP into a reserve, which you then use to fire a laser that gets stronger the longer it fires. So you just take a second every time you cap out on OP to fill your reserves, then spend some time unloading at a distance once it caps out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've created a page for the original Shantae:

quote:

* The 4 Baby Warp Squids needed to unlock fast travel to each town are all found in dungeons. Each contains five squids (the fifth always requires an animal form you don't have the first time around) and it's always worth finding and returning the set of four to make overland travel much faster.

* Grinding enemies for money is very inefficient, by far the fastest way to make money is gambling in the Gecko Chamber in Oasis Town. If you're any good at rhythm games, the dance parlor (only open at night) in the starting town is also a better alternative for initial funds.

* Items are very useful overall. For example Flash Bolts are far stronger than normal attacks and Vanish Cream makes you temporarily invincible, making overworld travel far easier. Some optional puzzles also require using certain items.

* Getting a game over replenishes your life count, so it can be useful to get more lives by getting a game over intentionally after having saved.

* The input for item use (Up + Attack) can be a little finicky on the ground, jumping and using one mid-air is more reliable.

* Things you can break while in Elephant Form include stone blocks and impassable tree trunks.

* Some new attacks can be bought from the shop in Water Town, but arguably only the first two are useful as the last two rely on a very slow charge-up time and which you might trigger on accident at inconvenient times.

* After its initial appearance, the location of the Zombie Caravan is randomized and only appears at night. One option for reliable access is to save up 4 Warp Squids from an earlier dungeon and use them there on the first visit.

* The optional firefly collection quest can't be be completed without access to all four animal forms. The reward is nothing essential though - a dance that heals you with money.

* If the game is run on a Game Boy Advance, you can buy a handy but by no means critical bonus shapeshift in Bandit Town for 500 gems.

* When you're first tasked to travel to Mount Pointy, travel '''west''' past Oasis Town. Going east only makes for a long journey to an unscalable side of the mountain.

* At one point you're also tasked to "fly to the highest point" with no hints as to where that is - the point being referred to is actually located in Ladies' Desert, east of Oasis Town.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 19, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are a lot of Shantae games, maybe you should move that to a page with a more descriptive title? Like Shantae (first game) or something like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cardiovorax posted:

There are a lot of Shantae games, maybe you should move that to a page with a more descriptive title? Like Shantae (first game) or something like that.
Shantae 2002 (Following the existing precedent of 'Doom 2016') or Shantae GBC might be best?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

PMush Perfect posted:

Shantae 2002 (Following the existing precedent of 'Doom 2016') or Shantae GBC might be best?
I'm personally fine with either, it just fits better in the existing naming scheme if it has something distinguishing it as specifically the original Shantae game

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I mean yeah there are a lot of Shantae games, but there's literally only one game called "Shantae" as all the others have subtitles in the name to distinguish them from each other. It's not like Doom 2016 where there already was a game called Doom nor is it on any other platforms but the GBC, so adding a year or platform seems kind of unnecessary. And it's not like Deus Ex is marked "Deus Ex (2000)" because people might somehow confuse it with Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided which is the exact same naming scheme as with Shantae games.

I think it only seems unclear now because there are no pages for any of other Shantae games yet, but I can add a clarification on the page itself, sure.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 20, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's not really asking so much that it seems worth it to me to have a debate about this. :shrug:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Shantae kicks immense amounts of rear end. Now that is someone who should be in Smash.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not really asking so much that it seems worth it to me to have a debate about this. :shrug:

It's not a huge deal obviously, I just don't think it's necessary since the list sticks to official names if possible and I can't imagine anyone confuses the entries for the Deus Ex games either. It could well even have the opposite effect since something like "Shantae (2002)" makes it sound like there's also a non-2002 game with that name, like with the pages for Prey (2017) or Prince of Persia (2008).

Again, I think the best way to clear things up is simply for someone to post tips for another entry in the series so that there are multiple entries on the list.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it was just an idea, so if you think it's really not necessary, then I guess we can also just leave it like that. I figured it would be a good pattern to establish for series that have a first title without a subtitle of its own, but it's not really a big deal, either.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Picked up Jotun on the switch, anything I should know?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Code Vein past what's on the wiki? Any classes/skills to avoid?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not really. There isn't really any way to permanently screw yourself over the way you could with bad stat distributions in a Souls game. Code Vein levelups apply equally to all your classes at all times, so whenever you level up, you categorically only ever improve in everything you have available to you. Classes can be switched at will at every bonfire-equivalent, I think (it's been a while since I played), and if not that then they can be switched at will whenever you are at home base. You can basically just do whatever you want. Most skills can be unlocked for use with any class, however, so it's not a bad idea to spend some time playing all of them just to unlock as many skills as you can. Items are mostly available in infinite amounts, excepting special weapons and such, so not even that is a limiting factor.

Just try out whatever looks interesting to you and switch to whatever works best for you whenever you're up against a particular difficult boss and such. Just make sure to look at all the remnants, they give you new classes and such.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

One thing to note is that Ivy-type Blood Veils, which shoot out a field of blades when you use their charge attack, will let you move the attack around and nail an enemy at a distance.

The range of the charge attack is longer than most enemies can aggro from, so you can open every fight with a free burst of damage and a boost to your ichor cap.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's one of those pro-tips, although it really only starts being useful 6+ hours into the game. Ivy Sniping is super-powerful and can take out groups of weaker enemies without even engaging with them, but it's also not available to you before the Cathedral... which is such a lovely area that it made me stop playing the game completely.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Any tips for Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden? I know nothing beyond being like XCom.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Braking Gnus posted:

Any tips for Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden? I know nothing beyond being like XCom.

You don't want to enter into straight up fights, you always want to try waiting for people to get far enough away from their friends to be able to pick them off alone, quickly before they can call for help. You want silent weapons to help with this.

And as you progress you'll more frequently run into groups that make the above either really difficult or impossible, which is kinda annoying.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I hope the forums don't shut down, but if they do I hope there's a way to keep this community of tip-sharers going.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ahobday posted:

I hope the forums don't shut down, but if they do I hope there's a way to keep this community of tip-sharers going.

agreed, this is one of the threads I'd miss the most if the forums went kablooey

There are a couple of general SA gaming discords, I'm sure one of them would support a BeforeIPlay channel

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not sure how we could make that work. Chat format isn't really very well-suited to writing up this type of long advice posts.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well we'd have to form a community on the wiki, wouldn't we. Of all the SA stuff this here seems like the easiest to maintain.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Not sure how we could make that work. Chat format isn't really very well-suited to writing up this type of long advice posts.

yeah it'd be terrible compared to forums, so maybe the better option would be... another forum

I've done a similar thing on another server, not for game tips but the concept is similar, basically the chat channel is just for requesting, and we have a Google Form setup, people could enter the game's name and tips and it auto-populates in a doc. it would not be a great alternative though, no

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Without the people asking drive-by questions and the exposure from the forum traffic making people aware the wiki even exists, not a lot of people are ever going to find it again, so there wouldn't really be a lot of point to it anymore. Gotta be linked to something here, otherwise it's just people writing guides that no one will ever read.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Without the people asking drive-by questions and the exposure from the forum traffic making people aware the wiki even exists, not a lot of people are ever going to find it again, so there wouldn't really be a lot of point to it anymore. Gotta be linked to something here, otherwise it's just people writing guides that no one will ever read.

true, that's definitely the problem with all of the other ancillary stuff that's sprung out of the forums throughout the years, it'll be sad if all that goes away

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Guys, the wiki all these posts get cross posted to is right there. Just post in wiki comments.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
There’s only one username and password and not everyone has it

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I feel like most of the content for the wiki is driven by people seeing this thread title, posting a Q and someone dropping in to answer it and that dynamic just doesn't feel like it'll exist on the wiki comments or even a discord honestly

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It’s finally time for the “forums.beforeiplay.com” to rise!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm up for contributing to whatever, this thread is gold.

What should I know before I play Glittermitten Grove? :imunfunny:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

If I have already played Dishonored 2, is it worth getting Dishonored: Rise of the Outsider? I feel like I heard that it was just kind of meh in comparison.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Comically mundane right now, but the Advance wars page needs some loving; there's 3 different games on it (Advance Wars, Days of Ruin, Dual Strike) with contradictory advice.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

1redflag posted:

If I have already played Dishonored 2, is it worth getting Dishonored: Rise of the Outsider? I feel like I heard that it was just kind of meh in comparison.

If you liked the setting and narrative, going by the reviews it seems like Death of the Outsider is a nice note to end on.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Code Vein past what's on the wiki? Any classes/skills to avoid?
Few days late but, note that overleveling can have some negative side effects. The main way you unlock gifts for permanent use is by killing enemies while they are equipped in their own blood code. If you level up too high, though, then the amount of gift-progress you get dwindles and eventually disappears, so you can't passively progress towards unlocking gifts without either going to a higher level area or grinding for specific material drops in depths which can take a while and is boring. You can avoid this by just not leveling too high. About 10-15 levels per boss killed should keep you on target, or just always focus on unlocking gifts before increasing your own level as a rule of thumb if you don't want to worry about counting.

Keep an eye out for vestige fragments after they get introduced, they are usually in hidden locations but you can hear them whispering. In some late game areas you will need to find every vestige in the area BEFORE fighting the boss if you want the 'better' version of the blood code they unlock. So don't just beeline for the boss, search around first. But you can get them on NG+ if you miss them the first time.

There are some imbue materials (the "chrome" items) that you can't get infinite of on a single playthrough because they are only available to get in limited amounts from trading with npcs. I dont remember which ones specifically are limited, just dont go hog wild imbuing every weapon. They also reset after going into NG+

But a good investment is imbuing a zweihander with the atlas chrome because it makes it blocks 100% of all physical damage. Its one of the very few (like 2 throughout the whole game) viable "shield" type weapons and you find it pretty early.

Also if you prefer playing solo you can tell your NPC party member to stop following you if you talk to them at the base.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You don't want to enter into straight up fights, you always want to try waiting for people to get far enough away from their friends to be able to pick them off alone, quickly before they can call for help. You want silent weapons to help with this.

And as you progress you'll more frequently run into groups that make the above either really difficult or impossible, which is kinda annoying.

Sometimes you can use a loud weapon if the person with it is far enough away from whomever you're trying to pick off. One of the few reasons why I'd turn off group movement other than initial scouting.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Comically mundane right now, but the Advance wars page needs some loving; there's 3 different games on it (Advance Wars, Days of Ruin, Dual Strike) with contradictory advice.

I realised that Advance Wars 2's page was missing the subtitle, so I've added that. I've also moved the two tips that mentioned the other games to their own page. If you can spot the other tips that don't belong on the Advance Wars page, post them here and I'll move them across.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 25, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey folks, regarding the possible move: some goons from the Let's Play subforum have set up a new forum at https://lpbeach.co.uk/

It's not exactly convenient, but it's a goon forum that could easily accomodate a Before I Play thread if things go south.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This thread is almost 12 years old if anything someone who knows how should do the archive thing and post it to that forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

pentyne posted:

This thread is almost 12 years old if anything someone who knows how should do the archive thing and post it to that forum.

I totally agree that this thread needs to continue somewhere in some form. But all the actually useful stuff from 12 years ago is on the wiki already. I'm not sure that 12 years of intermittent slapfights about what constitutes a "Before I play" tip versus a late game build guide are worth all that effort preserving tbh.