Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Model 3’s handles aren’t actuated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Glad to hear you’re finally getting your car Indiana_Krom. I think you used my referral code since the dates match up.

My referral miles as they stand expire in December, I wonder if they’ll extend after you take order of your car.
Thanks, yep it was your code. I suspect the existing miles will still expire, but the remaining miles from my referral will last the 1 year or whatever it is. I'm like an hour away from the nearest supercharger and pretty much everywhere I would want to go is well within range plus I have a HPWC already installed at home so I don't really see myself using up mine before they expire. Maybe I'll take a road trip just for the experience, either that or next time my parents want to do one of their cross country drives I'll tell them it would be a lot less fatiguing with autopilot (would have to cure my dads range anxiety first though).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok yeah I'll do some reliability research. Luckily I have a service center like 30 minutes away so that helps

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It seems like people who get the cars love them though.

And sometimes it's fun to buy new things, if you can, honestly.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Indiana_Krom, the cure to range anxiety is owning an EV.

That said, I’ve done a couple long road trips (5k+ miles cross-country each). I’m planning on doing a couple by the end of this year so it’s nice to not pay charging fees so thanks, man.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Some have had their advanced autopilot pulled after buying a used car (it's a "license" that isn't tied to the car or the user).

That's not how it works. Though I kinda wish it did. A few people got it removed from cars that shouldn't have had it to begin with (wasn't paid for, or a trial that didn't expire as it should), and a ton of drama ensued.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Afaik every person who got FSD yanked got it back after those stories blew up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

gwrtheyrn posted:

Don't spend anything because you have a working volt, and wait 2-3 years while hyundai/kia/vw work out their first gen issues and buy one of those

This is pretty much my answer. I think there are going to be some legit good options in a few years.

But for the sake of window shopping, the most range I can cram into my price range.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
re: reliability dunno if this is a thing or still a thing but I laughed at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-7b1waoj9Q\

Edit: looks like it stripped the timestamp on that link for some reason. TLDR writing NAND storage to death

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 21, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

We need more small cheap EVs in the rest of the world. But nooooo, we need to build a giant SUV with 700HP because we need to show the world what we can do and make EVs exciting!
Theres a reason that you can't even get a Seat Mii Electric over here in 2020 anymore. They have sold out all they are gonna make this year by may!

The manufacturers are griping about low sales for EVs but can't be loving bothered to sell one that people can actually afford.

Disclaimer: I know theres a market for big powerful EVs and I get that they can help make EVs more attractive in general. But every manufacturer tries to be the loving Tesla killer instead of focusing on what their customers actually need.

My Renault Zoe says hi.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

My Renault Zoe says hi.

Yeah the Zoe is a good little car but I predict a tough future for it. I never liked the additional cost that comes from renting the battery and now you can get a Corsa e or an e-208 for the same price as a Zoe with battery or a VW e-up/Seat Mii electric/Skoda citigo EV for the same price as a Zoe without battery.
I think they can coast for a couple of years on it being the best selling EV over here though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A Zoe costs more than a 40kWh Leaf or Ioniq and nearly level with the base Model 3 in this (unsubsidised) market.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The Zoe is abysmal to sit in unless you go for the top trim (which is expensive). Granted, they've made it better, but a 2015 base spec one has worse plastics than my garbage cans. The battery rent cost kinda negates much of the savings of gas as well as $70 a month for 1000km a year is pretty harsh unless you live in a city and don't drive much. I'd say the second hand market is where it's at, even with the battery rent. The Zoe is never going to be a long distance driver (unless you like suffering), so the bigger batteries in the newer ones make little difference. It's perfect as a city run-about if you can charge at home and I would seriously consider one if I had to get a second small city car.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

The Zoe is abysmal to sit in unless you go for the top trim (which is expensive). Granted, they've made it better, but a 2015 base spec one has worse plastics than my garbage cans. The battery rent cost kinda negates much of the savings of gas as well as $70 a month for 1000km a year is pretty harsh unless you live in a city and don't drive much. I'd say the second hand market is where it's at, even with the battery rent. The Zoe is never going to be a long distance driver (unless you like suffering), so the bigger batteries in the newer ones make little difference. It's perfect as a city run-about if you can charge at home and I would seriously consider one if I had to get a second small city car.

We have a 2019 model and I can’t really find anything particularly wrong with the seats or anything like that. If anything, it feels more refined than our 5 year old Passat. Fitting two baby seats in the back have been no hassle.

It is excellent in the role we have for it ie short commutes and shopping. Helps that I live in an area where basically anything is max 30 min away and free charging at work. Basically we don’t drive our Passat unless we are going longer distances or need the extra baggage space.

Also, last time I checked a Leaf or Ioniq was significantly more expensive. With the tax deduction, we got like 25% back on the price which put it in the same range as a normal small car like a golf.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok yeah I'll do some reliability research. Luckily I have a service center like 30 minutes away so that helps

Don't get a tesla

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Whoa, I didn’t know there was a rain shower option.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Honestly surprised that there isn't an in-car smart ai assistant called Elon in those yet.

"E-LON, enable 'relaxing rainforest' ambience"

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Speleothing posted:

Don't get a tesla
My Nissan Altima occasionally leaks on the inside down the windshield if there is snow or ice melting off the roof, I wouldn't suggest avoiding all Nissan cars because of it... If this is an excuse to not buy from a particular brand, then you're never going to own an automobile ever because this kind of thing can happen to anything with windows.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Indiana_Krom posted:

because this kind of thing can happen to anything with windows.
That's not a window, though. There's water infiltration somewhere on the roof that's pooling and finding its way down the maplight cluster. That's all kinds of hosed, not the east being a moldy-rear end headliner.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

That's not a window, though. There's water infiltration somewhere on the roof that's pooling and finding its way down the maplight cluster. That's all kinds of hosed, not the east being a moldy-rear end headliner.

the roof is a window

Kino
Aug 2, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Sure it is. The entire roof is glass on the 3 and Y. The line where the top of the windshield and the sunroof meet goes directly over that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Panoramic window, right. I'm an idiot.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a weird question. I asked in the A/T Car Buying thread about this and more or less got told owning a Tesla is the stupidest decision ever.

I am 100% window shopping. I have a Volt that's serving my needs perfectly so I am more than likely not actually buying anything. But given these three choices, which would you hypothetically buy? Assume commute is not a concern (less than 20mi round) and the only long distance will be road tripping ~100-150mi away with plenty of charging options.

2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus (250mi range) for $39k
2019 Tesla Model 3 Mid Range RWD (264mi range)(12k mi) for $38k
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD (325mi range)(14k mi) for $39k

Again, this is not a purchase I am actually going to make. I'm just curious what someone with a budget of ~$40k for an EV would pick.

I gravitated towards Tesla solely for the supercharger network. Messing around on A Better Route Planner showed that a Model 3 Mid Range going on a few lengthy vacations I had planned for next summer would be extremely easy, and I doubt the SR Plus would be significantly worse.

I kinda had this same decision last year, I went with the new SR+. I did the same with abrp and couldn't really find a value case for the mid or long range for me. But, I live in a temperate zone, and any long trips would be mostly on a highway with superchargers. If that's the case the difference in time is almost a wash between the models. Tho, if your main trip will be 150 miles each way the lr might be able to do it without a charge stop. If I lived in a cold climate, I'd prob get a longer range version tho.

Another thing to keep in mind is the updates over time for the model 3. There's a spreadsheet on the Tesla forums that lists all the small (and big) changes for the car over the production run. A big one will be the computer version-hw3 is a big deal, and those earlier models might not have it. Also the SR+ doesn't have the premium interior.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Indiana_Krom posted:

My Nissan Altima occasionally leaks on the inside down the windshield if there is snow or ice melting off the roof, I wouldn't suggest avoiding all Nissan cars because of it... If this is an excuse to not buy from a particular brand, then you're never going to own an automobile ever because this kind of thing can happen to anything with windows.

You need to clear the drains out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As mentioned upthread, I’d guess that 90% of the negative comments about Tesla’s come from people who have never driven one. They’re a very nice place to spend your commute. That said, they’re not for everyone.

I got an early production RWD LR (vin 13,3xx) and couldn’t be happier. It’s had precisely one instance of a failure that left me stranded when the 12v battery poo poo the bed. That happens in all cars.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Indiana_Krom posted:

It’s a 2 week old Model Y. Don’t think expecting a brand new 60k car to not leak profusely through the roof the first time it encounters water is too high a bar.

MrYenko posted:

As mentioned upthread, I’d guess that 90% of the negative comments about Tesla’s come from people who have never driven one. They’re a very nice place to spend your commute. That said, they’re not for everyone.

I got an early production RWD LR (vin 13,3xx) and couldn’t be happier. It’s had precisely one instance of a failure that left me stranded when the 12v battery poo poo the bed. That happens in all cars.

This misses the issue. Alfa’s are also great cars to drive and no doubt there are many people who have had years of trouble free Alfa ownership but they still have a reputation for poor quality for a reason and buyers who don’t want to play the lottery with their very expensive purchase generally avoid them.

Tesla is in the same boat. A lot of people don’t want to spend that much money and wait that long for a car in the hopes that they’ll get one that came from the factory on the right day with the right astrological chart so that it doesn’t leak through the roof or have paint slough off or have the windshield spontaneously crack or a hatch that won’t close or whatever.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 21, 2020

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Not spending thousands on a car just so I can post that "yeah it actually is bad if your car cries on you".

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Indiana_Krom posted:

Why haven’t you gotten it fixed

You realize that’s not supposed to happen and doesn’t have to happen, right

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kino posted:

Sure it is. The entire roof is glass on the 3 and Y. The line where the top of the windshield and the sunroof meet goes directly over that.

maybe making the entire roof out of glass is a dumb idea, I'm just spitballing here

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

gwrtheyrn posted:

Don't spend anything because you have a working volt, and wait 2-3 years while hyundai/kia/vw work out their first gen issues and buy one of those

Does anyone have experience with how VW's current offerings are? I'm mostly looking ahead and thinking about getting a Q4 in the next couple years.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is the updates over time for the model 3. There's a spreadsheet on the Tesla forums that lists all the small (and big) changes for the car over the production run. A big one will be the computer version-hw3 is a big deal, and those earlier models might not have it. Also the SR+ doesn't have the premium interior.

Do you have a link for that thread? I'd like to see what things they change. I've seen some really detailed reviews on YouTube from last year when I put the car on my radar, but I'd be curious to see what's changed over time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

deadwing posted:

maybe making the entire roof out of glass is a dumb idea, I'm just spitballing here

There are dozens of other car manufacturers that do glass roofs, I don't hear about those leaking, there should be absolutely no path for water to get in if there isn't an opening panel of some kind.

E: statistically I'm sure there are leaks reported for every make but they just shouldn't loving leak, period.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

deadwing posted:

everyone loves the durability of their all glass phones right

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Jimong5 posted:

Does anyone have experience with how VW's current offerings are? I'm mostly looking ahead and thinking about getting a Q4 in the next couple years.

Their current offerings are the e-up and up until this year the e-golf as far as I know. The e-up isn't sold in the US, and from what I've heard, the e-golf is fine (it's a golf) other than its relatively short range. Most of the hype around VW is for the id.x cars, none of which are out yet. The first one, the id.3, is scheduled to launch in september (again not in the us).

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

taqueso posted:

everyone loves the durability of their all glass phones right

Gimme my plastic backed phones back. I loved my nexus 6

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

My Nissan Altima occasionally leaks on the inside down the windshield if there is snow or ice melting off the roof, I wouldn't suggest avoiding all Nissan cars

I would.

Leaf excluded.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a 2 week old Model Y. Don’t think expecting a brand new 60k car to not leak profusely through the roof the first time it encounters water is too high a bar.

This misses the issue. Alfa’s are also great cars to drive and no doubt there are many people who have had years of trouble free Alfa ownership but they still have a reputation for poor quality for a reason and buyers who don’t want to play the lottery with their very expensive purchase generally avoid them.

Tesla is in the same boat. A lot of people don’t want to spend that much money and wait that long for a car in the hopes that they’ll get one that came from the factory on the right day with the right astrological chart so that it doesn’t leak through the roof or have paint slough off or have the windshield spontaneously crack or a hatch that won’t close or whatever.

Prior to the shutdown they were doing pretty well and seemed to be finally shedding the poor QA reputation. My 2020 Model 3 is fantastic with no real issues, I count myself lucky I got it just before the COVID shutdown.

It's a shame they rushed production with the Y and seem to be back to the basics again. We're putting off a Y for my partner until they've had a year to iterate on it and work out the kinks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's been that way with every product launch they've had. To some extent I wouldn't want a first year car from any automaker.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charles posted:

It's been that way with every product launch they've had. To some extent I wouldn't want a first year car from any automaker.

For the most part first year model issues with established manufacturers aren’t related to basic QC like “does the hatch close” or “are the back seats actually attached.” Those are things that should be a solved problem for a company that has been making cars for 10 years now. It’s another side effect of the idea that Tesla is a tech product not a manufacturing product. The most important thing is getting the release out the door, quality can be patched in later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

YOLOsubmarine posted:

For the most part first year model issues with established manufacturers aren’t related to basic QC like “does the hatch close” or “are the back seats actually attached.”
I notice that some of those problems from ice vehicles are due to design. Stuff like "the timing belt exploded and took out a bunch of poo poo but you'll have to take apart most of the front to get to it" or "this transmission wasn't designed well because it was a new implementation".

The image of the back seats not attaching is insane to me, and kind of scary.