Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I want to change my half-assed French press to a pour over directly into a large-ish insulated carafe, and I see there are different sizes of cones available, is it necessary to buy the larger one if I'm making more than a single cup at a time? These tend to come with glass carafes which I don't really want or need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I finished restoring and customizing my La Pavoni Europiccola a while back and am still learning to pull a good shot from it. I probably need to upgrade to some crazy 600 dollar grinder but I’m not going to do that anytime soon.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Human Tornada posted:

I want to change my half-assed French press to a pour over directly into a large-ish insulated carafe, and I see there are different sizes of cones available, is it necessary to buy the larger one if I'm making more than a single cup at a time? These tend to come with glass carafes which I don't really want or need.

If you're looking at v60 you'll probably want at least the 02 size, not sure about other styles of pourover cone

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thinking about the ROK coffee grinder a lot lately

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I finished restoring and customizing my La Pavoni Europiccola a while back and am still learning to pull a good shot from it. I probably need to upgrade to some crazy 600 dollar grinder but I’m not going to do that anytime soon.

Omfg this is beautiful. What's it's story?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lord Stimperor posted:

Omfg this is beautiful. What's it's story?

I bought it a few years ago. The chrome was in good condition but the base was messed up and it needed a full rebuild. I had the base cleaned and powder coated along with some other parts for accents. I had an artist friend of mine turn some wood furniture for it out of red heart. Then I rebuilt it all from the ground up with all new seals and rings. I added the pressure gauge for more control.

As is I can pull a decent shot but not a great one. Hell I wouldn’t even call them good shots. But there is time to learn.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I bought it a few years ago. The chrome was in good condition but the base was messed up and it needed a full rebuild. I had the base cleaned and powder coated along with some other parts for accents. I had an artist friend of mine turn some wood furniture for it out of red heart. Then I rebuilt it all from the ground up with all new seals and rings. I added the pressure gauge for more control.

As is I can pull a decent shot but not a great one. Hell I wouldn’t even call them good shots. But there is time to learn.

That rules and your machine looks incredible. Got any work-in-progress pics?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tippecanoe posted:

That rules and your machine looks incredible. Got any work-in-progress pics?

Thank you I am happy with the way it turned out. I didn’t take any progress pics because I worked on it in fits and starts for two years as I moved around the country. I was never sure what it was going to end up looking like until I got the wood pieces. The color of the wood really determined the way I would go.

I’m thinking of ordering a few more and rebuilding them as fun pieces to sell. I’m really wanting to build a blue and brass one with walnut furniture.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm interested in trying some of the alternative-processed coffees that have gained popularity recently. Honey process, carbonic, anaerobic, etc. No local (Atlanta) roasters are doing the weird poo poo. Where should I order from to try some of this stuff?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

prayer group posted:

I'm interested in trying some of the alternative-processed coffees that have gained popularity recently. Honey process, carbonic, anaerobic, etc. No local (Atlanta) roasters are doing the weird poo poo. Where should I order from to try some of this stuff?

You can't go wrong with folks like onyx, corvus, sweet bloom, Ruby, verve, tectonic... Royal mile is goon owned and run but I don't see honey from him often.

Red rooster out in VA had a honey I really liked and they win awards quite often

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I know Dark Matter coffee also does a lot of alternate fermentation process stuff. So keep an eye out there. At a glance they have a honey process one near the top of their list.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I pimp them all the time but my local roaster mayorga organics also sells some alternative process coffees depending on how the farmer they are buying it from processes it.
Some of the micro lots from the smaller farmers are the most experimental.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/6/1842

Health Effects of Coffee: Mechanism Unraveled? posted:

Abstract
The association of habitual coffee consumption with a lower risk of diseases, like type 2 diabetes mellitus, chronic liver disease, certain cancer types, or with reduced all-cause mortality, has been confirmed in prospective cohort studies in many regions of the world. The molecular mechanism is still unresolved. The radical-scavenging and anti-inflammatory activity of coffee constituents is too weak to account for such effects. We argue here that coffee as a plant food has similar beneficial properties to many vegetables and fruits. Recent studies have identified a health promoting mechanism common to coffee, vegetables and fruits, i.e., the activation of an adaptive cellular response characterized by the upregulation of proteins involved in cell protection, notably antioxidant, detoxifying and repair enzymes. Key to this response is the activation of the Nrf2 (Nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor-2) system by phenolic phytochemicals, which induces the expression of cell defense genes. Coffee plays a dominant role in that regard because it is the major dietary source of phenolic acids and polyphenols in the developed world. A possible supportive action may be the modulation of the gut microbiota by non-digested prebiotic constituents of coffee, but the available data are still scarce. We conclude that coffee employs similar pathways of promoting health as assumed for other vegetables and fruits. Coffee beans may be viewed as healthy vegetable food and a main supplier of dietary phenolic phytochemicals.

Coffee is now a serving of vegetables.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Guyver posted:

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/6/1842

Coffee is now a serving of vegetables.
Definitely eat fruits and vegetables. Drink Coffee if you like coffee. Probably don't read papers about fiber/antioxidants/phytochemicals being the reason any of these might be good for you because that kind of research hasn't really seemed to pan out too well historically.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Well yeah you have to eat fruit and vegetables no one drinks ten cups of coffee a day right?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Guyver posted:

Well yeah you have to eat fruit and vegetables no one drinks ten cups of coffee a day right?

Of course not :sludgepal:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How much coffee do you guys typically consume? I try and stick to two servings a day, whether it's an espresso or a pour-over. That way, I shouldn't be over the safe daily limit for caffeine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My first coffee of the day is a double espresso. As are my second and third cups. Then I drink several cups of crappy Keurig at the office during the day, and sometimes end the day with a latte with a double shot. With lunch, I have cold unsweet tea.

Don't think in terms of safe daily limit. Just stay under the LD50.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I drink one cup of pour over a day with an additional aeropresss shot if I need it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gunder posted:

How much coffee do you guys typically consume? I try and stick to two servings a day, whether it's an espresso or a pour-over. That way, I shouldn't be over the safe daily limit for caffeine.

It used to be 1.3 L coffee and 8 shots of espresso every morning but now I don't drive to work on account of covid so it's just the 1.3L of coffee.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I feel like I don't ever get any "boost" from drinking coffee, I just like how it tastes. I guess I'm just drinking it for the flavour. I definitely do get the withdrawal headache if I don't drink any in a 48 hour period though.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Gunder posted:

A few cups (well, mugs) from a cafetière in the morning, a small moka pot in the afternoon if I'm wilting.

e: For the hours in between, copious amounts of tea.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gunder posted:

I feel like I don't ever get any "boost" from drinking coffee, I just like how it tastes. I guess I'm just drinking it for the flavour. I definitely do get the withdrawal headache if I don't drink any in a 48 hour period though.

This is me as well.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I use between 45-60g of coffee a day in a pour over. Usually a bit less on weekends since I only drink it for breakfast then.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

30-45 grams in a cafetiere a day.

A while ago I tried to do the math as to how much over the limit would bring me. I read that for drip coffee, the caffeine content of a brew is roughly 8%. But that probably varies wildly according to technique.

At that percentage, 45 grams would yield about 360mg of caffeine, which is over the limit (320mg). 30g should yield some healthy 240mg. No idea how the formula changes with technique.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gunder posted:

Two a day is my normal amount, or 40g of beans. I’ve become extra vigilant about staying hydrated and having some snacks before my afternoon cup, else I feel like poo poo until I eat dinner.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

By the way I found a paper that shows how much mg of caffeine you get in different drinks. French press has just little but more than drip filter machine coffee.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00217-013-1917-x

Later they also list the cup-wise caffeine content, where a cup contains 120ml of coffee. That cup contains a bit more than 60mg of caffeine for French press, and a bit less than 60 mg for filter coffee. In other words, their French press coffee would have a bit more than 120mg of coffee in a more normal 250ml cup, and a drip coffee a bit less than that.

Note that their brewing ratios might differ from what you are using. For instance they're using a coffee to water ratio of 1:18 for their French press as opposed to the 1:16.67 that Hoffmann recommends.

So I'm guessing that for French press, you're more looking at 140mg caffeine per cup with the Hoffmann recipe, meaning that two cups should be about it per day.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Gunder posted:

Three espresso shots (18g coffee -> 36g espresso) and three cups of tea

Not for the energy, I just like the flavor. Going back to the office is going to suck

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Two shots in the morning (or nitro cold brew it it's hot out) and usually another shot in the afternoon to get me over the 3pm slump. Once in a while a shot with dessert after dinner since it doesn't keep me up anyway.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My first coffee of the day is a double espresso. As are my second and third cups. Then I drink several cups of crappy Keurig at the office during the day, and sometimes end the day with a latte with a double shot. With lunch, I have cold unsweet tea.

Don't think in terms of safe daily limit. Just stay under the LD50.

Legit surprised you haven't replaced the office machine with something

Gunder posted:

This is pretty standard based on how your receptors work. You very quickly normalize to drinking daily coffee and most people will want a coffee to get to baseline instead of some kind of energy boost.

I have had issues with sleep quality in the past and cut out all caffeine for months; it made zero difference so I decided not to feel guilty about drinking however much I want. I've never gotten much of any kind of boost from it but neither does it really keep me awake at night as long as I don't have, like, a large cold brew after 7pm.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Legit surprised you haven't replaced the office machine with something

This is pretty standard based on how your receptors work. You very quickly normalize to drinking daily coffee and most people will want a coffee to get to baseline instead of some kind of energy boost.

The headache from lack of caffeine is the primary factor that gets me out of bed on the mornings I try to sleep in.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Will buying this grant me eternal happiness?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is it for espresso or a conversation piece? It looks like one of those french devices used to crush duck bones and extract blood.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I wanna try my hands on espresso at some point. But the main attraction is that it has a long lever, grinds fast and consistent, and I don't need to sit on the floor keeping it stable with my feet when grinding

I considered electric grinders but reviews tell me that I'd need to spend a fortune getting similar quality.

It would also look real nice on my counter.

MustacheNet
Dec 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Slowly losing my mind waiting for the MaraX to come back in stock. :psyduck:

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/lelit-mara-pl62x-hx-espresso-machine/

I got the email just now, pre-orders for July are open.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MustacheNet posted:

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/lelit-mara-pl62x-hx-espresso-machine/

I got the email just now, pre-orders for July are open.

I saw that, apparently they won't be in until late-late July. I gave up and ordered one of the showroom Vetrano 2B Evos from Chris Coffee, it'll be here Tuesday :)

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Mod Edit: Goatse was here. It is not now.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 26, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is that the trendy kopi luwak spinoff of 2020?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Is that the trendy kopi luwak spinoff of 2020?

I can taste the chocolatey notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wow you can out a lot of beans in that one