Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

sinburger posted:

Windows are weird now. I was hiding out in a building waiting for the circle to close, and every time I walked near a window it smashed, despite me not pressing any buttons to melee hit or jump out.

I have definitely seen this behavior recently. Sometimes just getting close to a window will smash it. I don't know what causes it because it doesn't happen all the time. Maybe just some hosed up hit detection or geometry somewhere. I need to remember where it happens next time so I can see if it always happens in those buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

Can you see sniper glint through a window or does it block it like it blocks thermal

Also is there any difference at all between the thermals that are greyscale and the ones that look like a colored felt posted in a college dorm circa 1997

NVG vs b/w thermals is purely preference.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Orv posted:

NVG vs b/w thermals is purely preference.

Not true. NVG isn’t blocked by windows and you can still see glints. Merc thermal is blocked by windows and doesn’t show glints.

Orv
May 4, 2011

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Not true. NVG isn’t blocked by windows and you can still see glints. Merc thermal is blocked by windows and doesn’t show glints.

...Video gaaaaaaaaaames.

Does it actually say this anywhere?

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Did they fix merc thermal sniper rifle glint? The description doesn't mention it, but merc thermal added scope glint to snipers the last time I tested it. My deathcam always showed a flashlight.

Other weapon types (including DMRs) didn't have a glint with merc thermal.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Arae posted:

Did they fix merc thermal sniper rifle glint? The description doesn't mention it, but merc thermal added scope glint to snipers the last time I tested it. My deathcam always showed a flashlight.

Other weapon types (including DMRs) didn't have a glint with merc thermal.

I don’t know if equipping either gives your weapon glint. It’s not something I’ve ever tested and there’s a lot of conflicting info because I think it depends on which weapon they’re attached to and nobody has done an in depth breakdown as far as I’ve seen.

I do know that when you have the merc thermal attached to a weapon you no longer see enemy glints.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
NVG also supposedly has a recoil reduction on some guns like the VLK optic, but I could never stand how small and low zoom the scope is. I always found the thermal way easier to use. And with EOD being really popular in WZ now I have re-added the merc thermal to one or two guns. A bruen or PKM with a thermal is absolutely hilarious for locking down squads trying to snipe you.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Fart Car '97 posted:

Define "gameplay" because that's a very vague term.

a combination of balance, gunplay, net coding and design decisions? I can't think of any area that CoD actually outshines any competitors except that Warzone is better paced and more engaging than other BR's to this point.

I mean I love Apex but it's very stale BR-wise, probably for the competitive market it's chasing.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

jase1 posted:

Chacha let us know if you are reading this thread. You haven’t been on in a long time and last we heard you might have came in contact with someone who has Covid.

Just wanna make sure my COD friend is alive and well.

Sorry to bring down the thread but I also texted him and got no response.

We found out from revotfel last night that Chacha got over what he was sick was and is okay. Apparently, he's been busy playing Animal Crossing and has been active on the discord for that game.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Gordon Shumway posted:

We found out from revotfel last night that Chacha got over what he was sick was and is okay. Apparently, he's been busy playing Animal Crossing and has been active on the discord for that game.

I'm friends with Chacha on Facebook, can confirm he is ok.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

priznat posted:

The new Alice skin on lvl 60 of the BP is pretty great.

Also is the zane unlock bugged? I have done every coop mission but he doesn’t unlock. Guessing I joined one partway through perhaps?

Supposedly you have to actually make it onto the helicopter or whatever at the end as well. Like if you get left behind you didn't "finish" the mission.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Supposedly you have to actually make it onto the helicopter or whatever at the end as well. Like if you get left behind you didn't "finish" the mission.

Yah that would make sense, but I definitely have gotten all the check boxes on them. It would be nice to know which one(s) it thinks I am short but I sometimes just jump on coop for some chill times of poppin heads and doing the challenges.

Oh poo poo I gotta try just beating the hell out of a swarm of AQ fighters with kali sticks now.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Utgardaloki posted:

a combination of balance, gunplay, net coding and design decisions? I can't think of any area that CoD actually outshines any competitors except that Warzone is better paced and more engaging than other BR's to this point.

I mean I love Apex but it's very stale BR-wise, probably for the competitive market it's chasing.

Apex isn't exactly a high mark for balance, see: legend balance on launch with no low-profile or fortified & any legend that wasn't wraith/pathfinder/lifeline was pretty much a wasted slot. Weapon balance took quite a long time to reach where it is now, see: pre-nerf wingman, charge rifle, r99, spitfire, disruptor-round alternator.

Apex and Warzone servers ping at the same tickrate.

I don't think anyone would really buy the argument that the gunplay in Apex is better than Warzone's.

I don't know what 'design decisions' means.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I had perhaps the worst play I ever had in the game. If someone has a worse lowlight I would be shocked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvnJ1QOIq4c

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 22, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There must be a switch that flips around 12:30am and turns warzone lobbies insanely aggressive. My friend insists on picking an overkill class on the first loadout, which works until there are multiple teams driving around UAV hunting with gold graus.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I had perhaps the worst play I ever had in the game. If someone has a worse lowlight I would be shocked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvnJ1QOIq4c

I doubt there’s a single person ITT who hasn’t done this.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
It wasn't just the failing to pop the chute. I did it right after my team mate, then that guy came an cleaned up all 3 of us lol. It was a complete disaster

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing I do a lot on drops is get too close to a building which will not auto-pop the chute so I slam off the edge (the one with balconies gets me a lot). Usually this is in the prematch lobby at least but I have done it after coming back from the gulag. :sigh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

There must be a switch that flips around 12:30am and turns warzone lobbies insanely aggressive. My friend insists on picking an overkill class on the first loadout, which works until there are multiple teams driving around UAV hunting with gold graus.

Free kills coming to you is pretty nice.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

Fart Car '97 posted:

Apex isn't exactly a high mark for balance, see: legend balance on launch with no low-profile or fortified & any legend that wasn't wraith/pathfinder/lifeline was pretty much a wasted slot. Weapon balance took quite a long time to reach where it is now, see: pre-nerf wingman, charge rifle, r99, spitfire, disruptor-round alternator.

Apex and Warzone servers ping at the same tickrate.

I don't think anyone would really buy the argument that the gunplay in Apex is better than Warzone's.

I don't know what 'design decisions' means.

I mean it's true Apex had some changes to make balance-wise in the year and a half it's been out, but they did actually make those changes whereas CoD doesn't even get significant gameplay fixes between 60 dollar launches. I didn't say "Apex is better in every department" I said "CoD doesn't outshine it's competitors". for a favorable comparison of balance approaches, see CoD vs Destiny instead.

Warzone and Apex sure do have similar performance in connectivity, but core (and especially hardcore) CoD + it's low TTK and significant alpha damage options combined with client side processing really form a house of cards made from bizarre design choices. Warzone does a lot to mitigate all that, obviously.

The gunplay is absolutely better in Apex (and battlefield, even the bad ones. I actually can't think of example I can't list here. Tarkov is probably the high water mark in this department on PC, it's harder to find a good console example) It's certainly *easiest* in CoD, but a low skill ceiling isn't indicative of better, more interesting or more worthwhile design.

a good design decision would be, say, objectives and missions in Warzone, a bad one would be trying to balance M+KB vs Controller by buffing aim assist instead of finding an appropriate difficulty modifier for m+kb so a player's choice isn't between "trivial point and click" and "let the robot do it for me"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you're seriously suggesting gunplay/feel in the bad Battlefields is better than in Warzone then :frogout:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The only bad Battlefields are Hardline and V.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Free kills coming to you is pretty nice.

It’s great until their trophy system eats my C4 and my old man hands can’t outaim these darn youths :argh:

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Realism Warzone was cool. Picked up a win last night and the final few circles were WAY more intense than usual due to having no idea how many people were left in the match.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Utgardaloki posted:

I mean it's true Apex had some changes to make balance-wise in the year and a half it's been out, but they did actually make those changes whereas CoD doesn't even get significant gameplay fixes between 60 dollar launches. I didn't say "Apex is better in every department" I said "CoD doesn't outshine it's competitors". for a favorable comparison of balance approaches, see CoD vs Destiny instead.

Warzone and Apex sure do have similar performance in connectivity, but core (and especially hardcore) CoD + it's low TTK and significant alpha damage options combined with client side processing really form a house of cards made from bizarre design choices. Warzone does a lot to mitigate all that, obviously.

The gunplay is absolutely better in Apex (and battlefield, even the bad ones. I actually can't think of example I can't list here. Tarkov is probably the high water mark in this department on PC, it's harder to find a good console example) It's certainly *easiest* in CoD, but a low skill ceiling isn't indicative of better, more interesting or more worthwhile design.

a good design decision would be, say, objectives and missions in Warzone, a bad one would be trying to balance M+KB vs Controller by buffing aim assist instead of finding an appropriate difficulty modifier for m+kb so a player's choice isn't between "trivial point and click" and "let the robot do it for me"

I think you're presenting a lot of your personal preferences with sweeping truisms here. Like you're just cherry picking when you want to use core or Warzone to suit your preference vs Apex, when core and warzone are different games entirely and Apex doesn't even have an analogue to core.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 22, 2020

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

sinburger posted:

Windows are weird now. I was hiding out in a building waiting for the circle to close, and every time I walked near a window it smashed, despite me not pressing any buttons to melee hit or jump out.

Were you using a heartbeat sensor? I think those will break the glass

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’ve noticed that my gun will occasionally break a window too.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How is Apex these days anyway? It's been a long time since I've given it a run.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Utgardaloki posted:

No one knows how good Tarkov gun play is because the game has literally never had less than 500 ms of actual lag (not client reported ping.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I will say that Warzone was far more successful in getting money out of me than Apex. I spent nothing on Apex whereas I bought the battlepass on CoD and then bought the full game shortly after.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Burden posted:

Were you using a heartbeat sensor? I think those will break the glass

Mystery solved.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What counts as a “quickscope” for the ribbon also why is quickscoping a thing i hate you if you do it

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of

VulgarandStupid posted:

No one knows how good Tarkov gun play is because the game has literally never had less than 500 ms of actual lag (not client reported ping.)

i don't know if it's still possible but when I played it had an offline practice mode, but actual lag is still better than client reporting anyway. though yeah, it's pretty dicey.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think you're presenting a lot of your personal preferences with sweeping truisms here. Like you're just cherry picking when you want to use core or Warzone to suit your preference vs Apex, when core and warzone are different games entirely and Apex doesn't even have an analogue to core.

I think you're trying to read into a CoD vs Apex debate I'm not really interested in. CoD gunplay is bad, it's got other strengths, Apex (and literally anything else) is better, but it only has BR and kind of a weak one.

A personal preference would be that Apex is bad because character powers ala MOBA's and Overwatch are dumb and usually get stale immediately, which I do think but I know that's not actually indicative of game quality. Not personal preference would be pointing out that MW has half of it's automatic weapons have no recoil at all or what is there is trivial to mitigate, that instagib explosives are a constant and immutable presence in a game that also has no friendly fire (the best possible way to balance them) and that it's very clear that the reason for most of these choices is the accessibility that comes with a low skill ceiling, because accessibility = profit.

since i feel you getting defensive, it's still fine to like this game. I play it every day! but pretending it's flaws aren't there is an obstacle to getting better shooters made, and the success of CoD and IW's resistance to criticism is already a huge obstacle for better FPS's to find their shine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What makes gunplay good or bad? I’m not snarking I have no idea. Is it just the feel of it? Accuracy? Not having all shithead campers around all the time?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Apex's superpowers and COD's killstreaks are exactly the same thing, it's just that one is window dressed as magic and the other isn't.

e: I get what you are saying, but I feel like the instagib tendencies COD has are balanced out by the multiple mechanics there are to bring your team back to life, particularly now with Last Man Standing. I also like the fact that there are advantages to being resource-rich in COD but you will never have more than 3 bars of armour and the fact is that the difference between most guns in the same category is marginal in a firefight compared to positioning and 'who shoots first'.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 23, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Utgardaloki posted:

CoD gunplay is bad, it's got other strengths

CoD's gunplay is literally the only good thing about CoD, when they're not loving it up with nanosecond TTKs and garbage gun balance. It has nothing else going for it.

Well, that and the peak skinner box feels you get from hitmarkers and XP popups, but those are UX, not game features.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I read an article with tips on CoD and they recommended turning off the hit marker sound effects because it could cover up footsteps and I felt revulsion at the thought. Baby needs his hit marker sounds!!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/ZZfyvHt.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/MRwW06r.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/iytqGmN.gifv

Orv
May 4, 2011

priznat posted:

What makes gunplay good or bad? I’m not snarking I have no idea. Is it just the feel of it? Accuracy? Not having all shithead campers around all the time?

I go on about this in places no one cares about so why not here for once.

In extremely brief, gun 'feel' is a bunch of combinatoric factors. The animation of the gun, both parts of it and the movement of the body itself while firing. The sounds, the actual firing of it, the sound of the empty cartridge hitting the environment, the bolt, all of that at once. The feel of what the gun is doing; decals, impacts, blood, ragdolls, enemy model reaction. Even the way a gun is handled when not being fired, through player movement, through reloads and weapon checks can play into this.

If a game has good gunplay all of these come together to make guns feel powerful or if not outright powerful then specifically quirky or interesting, which you see more often in sci-fi stuff though power is still usually a concern. Modern Warfare has done so well at escalating this in the series that already had some of the best of it that when I went to play some Titanfall 2 this week, its gunplay felt 'loose' and 'weak.'

This is of course all grossly subjective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sorry, they took away regular quads and replaced with the realism thing and didn't just have it as two separate options? ?????? :confused: ?????? ????!!!???