Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalWT8oNxhk

looks more like they stopped this in Gears 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

No there's literally a multiplayer map where you shoot the ice floor and it cuts off sections of the map, altering the layout. Gears 4 had an alternate version of another map with the storms that would strike randomly which was cool as well. They should definitely do more of that.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

ethanol posted:

best fps pvp games ever: medal of honor allied assault, bf1942, bf2, bf3, bfbc2, bf1, halo 2/3/reach, cod (all of them except ghosts and IW), return to caslte wolfenstein, arma 2: dayz epoch mod, red orchestra

note: the ttk varies wildly and to say short or long is better as generic sum all statement is dumb as hell hth

Missing Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and Nightfire

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My stepson wants me to change my home Xbox to share my Gold subscription with him. If I do that or some variation of it, can we both play online at the same time and use everything as normal?

Would be good if we could have one subscription for us both but it sounds too good to be true.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I spent so much time playing the Desert Combat mod for BF1942 back in the day

I believe the people who made that went on to work for DICE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My stepson wants me to change my home Xbox to share my Gold subscription with him. If I do that or some variation of it, can we both play online at the same time and use everything as normal?

Would be good if we could have one subscription for us both but it sounds too good to be true.

Yeah, you just add him to your family and he can play online with you. You're limited to some number of family members, but its like 5 or something.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
ttk isn't good or bad inherently. It's what the game does with it. COD does a great job making encounters feel lethal, like quickdraw duels when you and another player see eachother and make you feel clever and rewarded for flanking someone. Old long TTK Halo did a great job at giving you a lot of options for what to do when you start getting shot, and making fights feel like a short struggle that you could sometimes judo your way out of if you were good enough. I thought it was a real shame that the game started to treat the BR as it's baseline weapon because I always thought the AR made for more interesting fights and tactics.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think game sharing will work fine this way and I believe you should also be able to play online simultaneously with this. I haven't had to look into it for a while but I think it's essentially the same as on the PS4.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

He can download games on your account and play them on any account on that xbox if it's your "home" xbox. You both can not play online on the same gold account at the same time on Xbox - logging into your account on your xbox while he's on your account on your home xbox will either log him off or give you an error message saying your account is logged on another system.

EDIT: It's also worth noting the game has to be downloaded via your account, so your son will either have to have your login information to access your account, or have it remember your password on your home xbox. I do not know the his situation (whether or not there are room mates, whether or not the xbox is in a fairly public area) but you should probably disable saved credit card information on your xbox account before letting him do this to ensure no one makes purchases without your permission.

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 20, 2020

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I just managed to buy a an Xbox One at a thrift store with the power cord only. I only briefly plugged it into the TV to see if it had picture. I see it has an account on it, and it has the no internet connection error code. Will i be able to reset this thing without any problems?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It'll be in the settings. Setting up your wifi will be one of the steps when you are starting fresh

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012
Xbox version of Control getting DLC this week right? The only info I see about it is fairly old.
Hopefully it will at least be on sale when its released.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
RIP mixer

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299032/microsoft-mixer-closing-facebook-gaming-partnership-xcloud-features

:rip:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol 30 million to have Ninja take a break from twitch for less than a year

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

facebook series xcloud gaming vs stadia, now this i can get into

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Microsoft partnering with Facebook is kinda gross.

On the plus side, Stux is probed for a while so we can post normally in here :) I'm also eager to know when the Control DLC is hitting Xbox as well. Also wondering if I should check out Alan Wake since it always looked cool (and seemed kinda Twin Peaks-y?) and apparently the final Control DLC relates to Alan Wake in some way?

Haven't actually played Control yet though. Was playing catch-up with Destiny 2 and now taking a break from that to play The Last of Us 2 which is making me want to fire up Gears of War. My freakin' backlog is getting wild.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SUNKOS posted:

On the plus side, Stux is probed for a while so we can post normally in here :) I'm also eager to know when the Control DLC is hitting Xbox as well. Also wondering if I should check out Alan Wake since it always looked cool (and seemed kinda Twin Peaks-y?) and apparently the final Control DLC relates to Alan Wake in some way?

Haven't actually played Control yet though. Was playing catch-up with Destiny 2 and now taking a break from that to play The Last of Us 2 which is making me want to fire up Gears of War. My freakin' backlog is getting wild.

Just be aware the Twin Peaks stuff is really superficial. Alan Wake is much more a love letter to Stephen King that winds up feeling more like, I dunno, whatever the cheap dime store version of Dean Koontz is. It's still kooky and a lot of fun and has some great characters, but much like Max Payne before it, the writing staff is swinging way above their weight class and it really only works because they are so earnest about it.

e: Upon further reflection the cheap dime store version of Dean Koontz is apparently just Dean Koontz.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 22, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ms is already partnered with fb to bring the oculus to xb1x

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SUNKOS posted:

for real.

also kind of a trip to be like “well I was super on board with Microsoft running this, but now that Facebook is involved, I’m gonna take a hard pass”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Integrated console streaming is trash anyway. Twitch sucks but they're very clearly the market leader. There's really no reason to use any other service.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

DrNutt posted:

Just be aware the Twin Peaks stuff is really superficial. Alan Wake is much more a love letter to Stephen King that winds up feeling more like, I dunno, whatever the cheap dime store version of Dean Koontz is. It's still kooky and a lot of fun and has some great characters, but much like Max Payne before it, the writing staff is swinging way above their weight class and it really only works because they are so earnest about it.

e: Upon further reflection the cheap dime store version of Dean Koontz is apparently just Dean Koontz.

Thanks for the input. It being superficial doesn't bother me as it's mainly the location that appeals to me, I didn't expect it to have writing or characters like the show, but the small town surrounded by woods thing is just a style I'm very fond of. I've seen the reviews that mainly consist of gameplay at night using a flashlight to make enemies vulnerable to gunshots, is that a major part of the game or is there a balance between daytime stuff as well? I know the studio is know for making shooters so wonder if I'd mainly be running around the woods at night shooting stuff or get to enjoy some of the town as well?

Ok Comboomer posted:

for real.

also kind of a trip to be like "well I was super on board with Microsoft running this, but now that Facebook is involved, I'm gonna take a hard pass"

Valid point, I just think Microsoft has been pretty decent and consumer-friendly for a while now while Facebook has never ceased to be scummy. I used to dislike Microsoft a lot but I came round when they stopped being dicks (as much as a big corporation can, anyways) but Facebook, much like Google, seem to give zero fucks about being awful. I read that Google even took down the "Don't be evil" sign in their headquarters which is kinda funny but also kinda creepy and depressing. Apple sell overpriced tech but it's reliable as hell and I think they're cool for giving the FBI the finger and respecting user privacy at such risk, so I like them as well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for the input. It being superficial doesn't bother me as it's mainly the location that appeals to me, I didn't expect it to have writing or characters like the show, but the small town surrounded by woods thing is just a style I'm very fond of. I've seen the reviews that mainly consist of gameplay at night using a flashlight to make enemies vulnerable to gunshots, is that a major part of the game or is there a balance between daytime stuff as well? I know the studio is know for making shooters so wonder if I'd mainly be running around the woods at night shooting stuff or get to enjoy some of the town as well?

It's been awhile since I played it but yeah you get to explore a bunch of places in both day and night.
Usually if it's going to make you do a lovely bit it has kind of a Silent Hill thing where everything kind of shifts into the dark mode thing or whatever. I live in the PNW and it really captures the vibe of northwest small town pretty drat well, as well as a bunch of National Park stuff. Setting and characters are all pretty top notch.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

DrNutt posted:

Alan Wake is much more a love letter to Stephen King
----
the writing staff is swinging way above their weight class and it really only works because they are so earnest about it.

So it's a particularly faithful and accurate tribute to Stephen King

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I swear I posted this before but Alan Wake is a parody of airport novelists written by authors who think they are much much better than they are and have never read an actual airport novel because its "beneath them". The writing is just bad both in universe and meta-narratively.

I enjoyed the shooty bang bang bits of Alan Wake, mostly, but it never really evolves and the couple of times it tries to mix up the combat formula are just bad. The daytime bits are extremely Remedy but unlike Quantum Break aren't agonizingly long or occur more often than once a stage, if that. One positive thing I can say (with one glaring gently caress awful exception) is that its very obvious they turned an open world map into a linear shooter so levels tend to feel satisfyingly progressive where you see what you are working towards at all times and finishing an area feels satisfying in a way other games struggle with.

Solid 8/10, as its never hard despite feeling good to shoot things, and Control feels like a good evolution of the concept into a better game while Quantum Break feels like everything bad about Alan Wake became a game.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

fwiw I really enjoyed Alan Wake's ingame dime novel, mostly because my taste is trash. That's when I heard the chainsaw.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Valid point, I just think Microsoft has been pretty decent and consumer-friendly for a while now while Facebook has never ceased to be scummy. I used to dislike Microsoft a lot but I came round when they stopped being dicks (as much as a big corporation can, anyways) but Facebook, much like Google, seem to give zero fucks about being awful. I read that Google even took down the "Don't be evil" sign in their headquarters which is kinda funny but also kinda creepy and depressing. Apple sell overpriced tech but it's reliable as hell and I think they're cool for giving the FBI the finger and respecting user privacy at such risk, so I like them as well.

Does Twitch make a profit for Amazon? I can see the move easily being a "we're burning money on yet another unimaginative copy cat competitor" a la Yammer to Twitter, especially with MS's revenue stream being made mostly up of enterprise productivity contracts and Azure. Partnering up to compete against Amazon is probably for the best, although benefits to consumers will be marginal. It's also a strategy to sting their Azure competition in the long run, for sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quick question, I have a 500gig SSD I’m gonna pull out of my PC is it worth it to put it in my X to replace the 500gig spinning one?

I have quite a few downloaded games ( Jesus 500 gigs is nothing) so I have to imagine it would help some right?

Also how easy is it? I assume I lose everything on there but I can download it again no issue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

So it's a particularly faithful and accurate tribute to Stephen King

Haha, fair enough. I will always have a soft spot for Stephen King because I got into the Dark Tower books as a preteen and his memoir On Writing is actually really loving good. Also I will die on the hill that Hearts In Atlantis is an amazing god damned book, actually.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Smugworth posted:

Does Twitch make a profit for Amazon? I can see the move easily being a "we're burning money on yet another unimaginative copy cat competitor" a la Yammer to Twitter, especially with MS's revenue stream being made mostly up of enterprise productivity contracts and Azure. Partnering up to compete against Amazon is probably for the best, although benefits to consumers will be marginal. It's also a strategy to sting their Azure competition in the long run, for sure.

I don't know if it makes money, but with all the different ways you can give money to streamers, I'm sure they get a cut of that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't know what the resource cost of running Twitch is but I'd be hard pressed to believe that it doesn't make Amazon a billion dollars a month with the cut of all the subscription fees, bit donations, and ad sales.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

That's fair, I didn't think about the platform cut Twitch must take. I got sucked in for free Sea of Thieves garbage Twitch drops recently, and the donations are pretty nutty.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Streamers can pull in a lot of money if they can hype up their viewers and start sub and bit goals and whatnot. Dan Ryckert who used to be at Giant Bomb started streaming on a lark because he's been working from home and he already had a following. He can make a few hundred bucks a night just from getting his chat to donate for a goal for him to play 50 turns of Mario Party by himself.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Quick question, I have a 500gig SSD I’m gonna pull out of my PC is it worth it to put it in my X to replace the 500gig spinning one?

I have quite a few downloaded games ( Jesus 500 gigs is nothing) so I have to imagine it would help some right?

Also how easy is it? I assume I lose everything on there but I can download it again no issue.

it might be infinitely easier to just put that ssd in an external usb 3 enclosure and save yourself a lot of effort.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Real hurthling! posted:

Ms is already partnered with fb to bring the oculus to xb1x
I thought I read that somewhere way back when too, but now that I think about it I don't know if anything was official outside of the Rift shipping with an XB1 controller?

American McGay posted:

Integrated console streaming is trash anyway. Twitch sucks but they're very clearly the market leader. There's really no reason to use any other service.

Mixer was integrated pretty well in the last builds of the XB1 UI. Just hovering over a thumbnail gave you an immediate live preview of the channel, and launching into the app was extremely quick. Sony might have that already idk, but I do remember it being very fast. But in any case looking for a new release on there was infuriating because almost everyone was just committed to playing samey BR games anyway.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont get streaming at all. if i have time to watch someone play videogames it is time I can use to play videogames myself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hambeet posted:

it might be infinitely easier to just put that ssd in an external usb 3 enclosure and save yourself a lot of effort.

Oh ok I just figured it might just be a case of pull the old one out and slap the new one in and let the box do its thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

I dont get streaming at all. if i have time to watch someone play videogames it is time I can use to play videogames myself.

I’ll do it for games I might be interested in picking up but I definitely don’t do it for any extended period of time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I use twitch to watch tv shows and movies

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Twitch is solid for watching musician live shows/“concerts in a box”, especially now that so many tours and festivals have been cancelled.

Also I know researchers who go on twitch to play games and answer science questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I guess its just amusing to me that there are people out there that'll sit there going 'wow I wish i could make a living playing videogames' they just sit there watching other people make bank doing this super low barrier to entry thing and they're so lazy they cant even try streaming themselves.

I know its not as simple as that but holy moly. get a life.