Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I re-watched the OT a year or two ago with my 15 and 12-year old and they enjoyed them. Then they wanted to watch the prequels and I tried to warn them.

They still ended up wanting to watch all the prequels but it was more out of morbid curiosity and completionism (besides getting hype for Duel of the Fates)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

:hmmyes:

There's been a spate of articles about people watching all 9 films for the first time since Rise of Skywalker came out and "ended" the main line of films. I don't think I've read one where they were like "Holy gently caress this is amazing I wish I'd watched this 20 years ago I'm buying all the comic books right now." Seems like every person who does it does not care much for it.

Imagine starting A New Hope after just being introduced to Star Wars via 7 hours of prequels. You see Darth Vader and he's just that annoying motherfucker you've been watching for hours already, you know why he's in the suit, you know he's a fallen Jedi, etc. You know Luke and Leia are siblings and that Vader is their father. Watching the movies starting with episode 1, as a new viewer, would be the most disappointing loving thing you could imagine.

"Luke... I am your father" well no poo poo, we saw that two movies ago! You hack fraud!

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

mallratcal posted:

Oh good... David Goyer...

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it would be a good clickbait article for someone to make their kids watch the sequels first. Additionally, it would be an act of good parenting since it would likely smother any interest in the cursed star wars in the crib

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
love my grimdark foundation

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

hemale in pain posted:

I think when i got to Gaia and all the shared consciousness/living planet stuff I was like naaah i'm bored now.

the very end of the series is kind of cool in an all according to keikaku kind of way but agreed. the mule 'fight' is also like the lamest thing ever published

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm still mad about Del Toro's Monster adaptation never happening. Not only because it could've been amazing, but also if it was a successful we would've gotten a bunch of good mangas turned into TV shows.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'll watch drat near anything with Jarred Harris in it, so Foundation goes on the list.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'll watch drat near anything with Jarred Harris in it, so Foundation goes on the list.

grudgingly same

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Hits like Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and Lost In Space (1998)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's only the second best part of lost in space because he has to share the screen with Gary Oldman

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's only the second best part of lost in space because he has to share the screen with Gary Oldman

Whose finest role was as Rolf in Tiptoes, which the boys should definitely watch

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Im just glad ive seen the non-special OT about 6 billion times so I'm not in the position kids are in today, watching the movies for the first time and wondering who the gently caress that creepy guy is at the end of Return of the Jedi.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

So I only now started watching Black Mirror, and by the very first episode where the Prime Minister fucks a pig... this is a real show? Charlie Brooker actually wrote this down and got real actors and a crew to film this and it was put on TV?

Is it a satire on the vapidity of politicians? Or the callous voyeuristic/exhibitionist nature of the public? Or the excesses of modern art?

Or the PM fucks a pig.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Andro Dunos posted:

So I only now started watching Black Mirror, and by the very first episode where the Prime Minister fucks a pig... this is a real show? Charlie Brooker actually wrote this down and got real actors and a crew to film this and it was put on TV?

Is it a satire on the vapidity of politicians? Or the callous voyeuristic/exhibitionist nature of the public? Or the excesses of modern art?

Or the PM fucks a pig.

Yeah, I didn't even watch all of that episode. Then a couple years later, a coworker convinced me to give it another shot, and I watched episode 2, and it's got the same "AREN'T I CLEVER AND CONTROVERSIAL?!!!" tone to it. I watched all of episode 2, but I haven't gone back.

It really feels like the writer thinks he's smarter than he is.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Andro Dunos posted:

Or the PM fucks a pig.

The show is all about bitching that people own cell-phones now and don’t have to listen to Charlie Brookner to be on the cutting-edge of political satire. It’s extremely loving vapid and stupid. It was never good and I hate everybody who likes it.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

david cameron actually hosed a pig though

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Giga Gaia posted:

david cameron actually hosed a pig though

Yeah that was pretty funny, i hope for more such behavior from him in his future election campaigns.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Black Mirror is really good, thanks for reading

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Endless Trash posted:

Black Mirror is really good, thanks for reading

I watched half of episode 1 and all of episode 2 and I never want to watch anymore of it ever again.

That's not "good."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The trailer starts out with the BIG HONKS. That's a sure sign right off the bat that this will be a creative masterpiece.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Andro Dunos posted:

Or the PM fucks a pig.

It's an hour of the greatest black comedy you've ever seen, the growing realization from the PM that he's actually going to have to do it is incredible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's an anthology series dummies. Don't watch it in order just look up which ones are the good ones.

That said the second episode is one of the good ones so if you didn't like that you probably won't like the rest.

Watch the ones where the two former college bros turned middle-aged dads get perfect VR devices to play a Street Fighter game with each other and end up loving.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The show is all about bitching that people own cell-phones now and don’t have to listen to Charlie Brookner to be on the cutting-edge of political satire. It’s extremely loving vapid and stupid. It was never good and I hate everybody who likes it.

I liked Charlie Brooker's various "wipe" shows, but yeah, he really only seems to have the one note. Black Mirror started as "What if Facebook, but too much?" and just sorta kept doing it.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

infernal machines posted:

I liked Charlie Brooker's various "wipe" shows, but yeah, he really only seems to have the one note. Black Mirror started as "What if Facebook, but too much?" and just sorta kept doing it.

Yeah, I agree with you, I was being a bit intense before.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

It's an anthology series dummies. Don't watch it in order just look up which ones are the good ones.

That said the second episode is one of the good ones so if you didn't like that you probably won't like the rest.

Watch the ones where the two former college bros turned middle-aged dads get perfect VR devices to play a Street Fighter game with each other and end up loving.

Yeah there are some really good ones in there. Some of them are misses for sure but I think overall they are good.

I really liked the one the Bryce Howard and the one with the 80s sea side town.

There is some light continuity between them (some of the tech for example) but they are largely self contained sci fi twilight zone episode.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I'm still mad about Del Toro's Monster adaptation never happening. Not only because it could've been amazing, but also if it was a successful we would've gotten a bunch of good mangas turned into TV shows.

Same, I'm genuinely mad it never went anywhere, the entire thing would be a loving slam dunk

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah there are some really good ones in there. Some of them are misses for sure but I think overall they are good.

I really liked the one the Bryce Howard and the one with the 80s sea side town.

There is some light continuity between them (some of the tech for example) but they are largely self contained sci fi twilight zone episode.

Yeah those are good. 80s sea side town one is probably the apex of the series.

I also like the one where the creepy video game programmer is making perfect copies of his coworkers to gently caress with inside his Star Trek game.

At some point they got very obsessed with the idea of perfect virtual recreations of human brains, and that started dominating the show.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I also like the one where the creepy video game programmer is making perfect copies of his coworkers to gently caress with inside his Star Trek game.

that one has discount matt damon in it right? i remember liking that one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah those are good. 80s sea side town one is probably the apex of the series.

At some point they got very obsessed with the idea of perfect virtual recreations of human brains, and that started dominating the show.

Oh yeah that one is super hosed up and good.

Also the one where everyone has recording devices in their eyeballs and can play anything they’ve seen back at any time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Also the one where everyone has recording devices in their eyeballs and can play anything they’ve seen back at any time.

Oh poo poo that part where the couple is having super hot sex and it cuts and they're actually having the world's lamest sex and just replaying a time they got at it good

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

A friend tried talking to me about the episode with the soldiers fighting the mutant monsters, and it turns into a hamfisted commentary about ethnic cleansing, that includes them sitting you down at the end of the episode and explaining it to you for like 10 minutes before lobotomizing the character they're explaining it to. He went on and on about how deep it was.

I haven't talked to this person in over a year. Good choice, I think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A Single Sphink posted:

A friend tried talking to me about the episode with the soldiers fighting the mutant monsters, and it turns into a hamfisted commentary about ethnic cleansing, that includes them sitting you down at the end of the episode and explaining it to you for like 10 minutes before lobotomizing the character they're explaining it to. He went on and on about how deep it was.

I haven't talked to this person in over a year. Good choice, I think.

Did you actually watch it?

I’m not gonna say it was super deep or anything but it was an interesting concept.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Black Mirror sucks big time. The most basic-rear end sci fi going

"What if your son.... was an app?!!!!"

"What if iCloud... could upload your dog?!!"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"oi guvnah! me phone's suckin me prick!"

hm that sounds great, actually

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Oh poo poo that part where the couple is having super hot sex and it cuts and they're actually having the world's lamest sex and just replaying a time they got at it good

That was a great twist reveal. This one was always my favorite episode because it took classic issues and conflicts that can happen in a relationship or married couple and then introduces how a technology that can give you perfect recall could change how people act. There's a dinner party where the guy isn't sure if his wife is giving eyes to another guy. In real life, you might notice but think nothing of it. Now he can reply it over and over and drive himself crazy.

Black Mirror can have some dumb concepts, be emotionally manipulative, and even rehash some of the same ideas in its episodes, but it's still good overall.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The thing to keep in mind with Black Mirror is that Charlie Brooker still seems to consider it to be a black comedy full of style-parody above all else.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I liked the Black Mirror episode where...

Oh wait, that's Utopia. Utopia is really good. Black Mirror is twilight zone for the 21st century. A mixed bag. And not as good as Utopia.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

infernal machines posted:

Hits like Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and Lost In Space (1998)

The Downey Sherlocks own, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Downey Sherlocks own, actually

2nd one is poop