Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

revisited made it so you can only have one catastrophe at a time (fires/electrical fires/etc etc) with minor/catastrophic breaches being a different thing (For the consideration of tactical avionics)

boarding parties sometimes will set bombs on your ship that i guess count as a third hazard, though shouldnt really be an issue unless you're soloing or playing with three of the worst goons imaginable

you can slot in your tac avionics fire extinguisher which unranked is only like 4 drain. maxing it only cuts down the cooldown but unranked its still like put out one fire instantly every 2 minutes which should be enough unless everyone is asleep at the wheel

FunkyFjord posted:

But that's a ton of little moving parts all going on at once in rail jack space, so unless something kinda-sorta remotely like this is what they're planning to show and ship with tennocon I don't really know what to expect beyond a couple of new basic rail jack mission types. I suppose I largely expect stuff related to rail jack and squad link, in that order, with brief mentions of other content they're working on but won't be releasing right after tennocon.

yeah thats why im hoping for a command intrinsic announcement so crews can go off and do other things if it means more complicated objectives but still relative time clears (like since AI is at a -50% slower rate refilling the forge that frees up someone to go away team somewhere, but if things were hectic id rather have a real person in the forge etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
As time goes on it seems less clear how command intrinsics could possibly be useful. Gian Point takes 3 minutes to solo. There are also only 3 in-mission jobs remaining: pilot, forward artillery, and away team (sometimes.) I don't trust AI to do any of those jobs effectively.

All the other roles have been solved or made irrelevant by balance changes. Artillery Cheap Shot and 700-900+ hyperflux capacity make it so you only need to forge in between missions. Gunners are an active detriment when the pilot is using Tether. Breaches aren't that scary and repairs can be done from anywhere with the rank 10 intrinsic. Archwing can help with looting, but tends to drag spawns away from the railjack. The one thing I could see command helping with is fighting off boarders, but that's relatively minor.

At this point all I'd want them to do with intrinsics is replace one of the bad rank 10 gunner/pilot things with the ability to use artillery from the pilot or normal gunner seat. Or maybe just eliminate the long animation and charge time.

It would be good see to them make alternative mission types work. Scarlet Spear as their first post-launch railjack thing wasn't that inspiring. Felt kind of dumb for the railjack to be reduced to a complicated bus. The satellite seemed like it was going to be a split objective where you had to defend it in space, but they couldn't make it work and gave up on it.

Given the current mission type, I'd like to see crew being able to bring their own battle/tactical avionics and for bases and crewships to be merged into a more dynamic objective that engages everyone at once. Away team having more stuff to do than follow a waypoint and hack consoles. Archwing navigating through the objective's superstructure to hit weak points the railjack can't access. Gunner being more distinct from pilot and having better access to battle avionics. Then with people bringing their own avionics you can have like forge guy can bring their own forge stuff and it's not just the pilot spending all the ship's resources.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

gnoma posted:

At this point all I'd want them to do with intrinsics is replace one of the bad rank 10 gunner/pilot things with the ability to use artillery from the pilot or normal gunner seat.
Yeah, had the same idea.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dareon posted:

Do I even have limited blueprint slots?
Nope. You don't even have limited slots for things that are currently building or ready to claim, either.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I'd like to see the archwing slingshot get buffed, because going out to sabotage ships is cool. Easy list: make it clear on the ship map teleport which areas are what based on icons, have the slingshot teleport directly load you into it, be able to identify crewships with a quick visual scan by giving them a different targeting ring, give the slingshot a wider range of movement, and launch instantly. The last couple could be gated behind an intrinsic somewhere, if they wanted, but there's no reason it shouldn't come like this in the box.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Crewships do have a different targeting shape to fights. It's a diamond with sides curving in instead of straight sides.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Thanks for all the input, Goons. I will carry forward then. It's taking me some effort to get used to 3rd person after so many hours of Destiny 2, but I will keep plugging away.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

gnoma posted:

It would be good see to them make alternative mission types work. Scarlet Spear as their first post-launch railjack thing wasn't that inspiring. Felt kind of dumb for the railjack to be reduced to a complicated bus. The satellite seemed like it was going to be a split objective where you had to defend it in space, but they couldn't make it work and gave up on it.

Given the current mission type, I'd like to see crew being able to bring their own battle/tactical avionics and for bases and crewships to be merged into a more dynamic objective that engages everyone at once. Away team having more stuff to do than follow a waypoint and hack consoles. Archwing navigating through the objective's superstructure to hit weak points the railjack can't access. Gunner being more distinct from pilot and having better access to battle avionics. Then with people bringing their own avionics you can have like forge guy can bring their own forge stuff and it's not just the pilot spending all the ship's resources.
I think Scarlet Spear definitely intended to make the satellite vulnerable while deployed too, but realized it would be nearly impossible to defend, especially once fighters and crewships got up into the 120+ range where all railjack weapons and abilities just become inconvenient tickling for enemies.

They definitely need to make more dynamic objectives, like capital ships that require archwings doing trench runs and infiltrators completing mini-objectives to take down as you mention. Hopefully they get there, but I imagine there's a ways to go before the mission type really shines.

Edit: Intrinsics also need a revamp, since there are several that are just almost totally useless, and most are just boring. It would be really cool if there were intrinsic skill trees where you had to actually make interesting choices about how to best fit a role in a mission.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Nah, gently caress that, inventory janitoring is bad enough, skill tree janitoring can die, just give us meaningfully different RJ weapons and let us have loadout slots, because you know they won't have learned from letting us set gremlin trees in the arsenal and we'll have to go through a song and dance to swap trees.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

XBenedict posted:

Thanks for all the input, Goons. I will carry forward then. It's taking me some effort to get used to 3rd person after so many hours of Destiny 2, but I will keep plugging away.

Crank the filed of few up to the 75-90 degree range, as an FPSaholic the difference in comfort and control was night and day for me

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DoombatINC posted:

Crank the filed of few up to the 75-90 degree range, as an FPSaholic the difference in comfort and control was night and day for me

Ah, mobileposting.

Why would you ever use field of view below 90? Use 120, get a proper FPS experience.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

Ah, mobileposting.

Why would you ever use field of view below 90? Use 120, get a proper FPS experience.

True :hai: but Warframe used to limit you to 70-something degrees and only just updated to allow 90 so that's the range I've become accustomed to for it

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I was going to post the same thing, if you're new to WF the default FOV can feel aggressively close. It's trying to be over the shoulder, as a mix of FPS and third person.
Pulling it out makes it control like an FPS with a third person perspective. It's leagues better.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Warframe uses vertical FOV. 70 vertical is ~100 horizontal on a 16:9 display, while 90 is ~120.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

gnoma posted:

As time goes on it seems less clear how command intrinsics could possibly be useful. Gian Point takes 3 minutes to solo. There are also only 3 in-mission jobs remaining: pilot, forward artillery, and away team (sometimes.) I don't trust AI to do any of those jobs effectively.

All the other roles have been solved or made irrelevant by balance changes. Artillery Cheap Shot and 700-900+ hyperflux capacity make it so you only need to forge in between missions. Gunners are an active detriment when the pilot is using Tether. Breaches aren't that scary and repairs can be done from anywhere with the rank 10 intrinsic. Archwing can help with looting, but tends to drag spawns away from the railjack. The one thing I could see command helping with is fighting off boarders, but that's relatively minor.

At this point all I'd want them to do with intrinsics is replace one of the bad rank 10 gunner/pilot things with the ability to use artillery from the pilot or normal gunner seat. Or maybe just eliminate the long animation and charge time.

i mostly want command for the promise of being able to customize our crew with tenno operatives, cetans, solaris, liches, maybe other people hell yeah

but yeah intrinsics in general need a revisit, i think the entire 9 tier for all the trees needs a re-examining cause its all buffs proccing while drifting which A) no one did and B) railjack revisited pretty much nerfed boost/drifting anyhow

edit: would be perfectly fine if command ends up basically a ship trading card system of npcs that appear on your ship (maybe help during boarding parties as barely useful distractions) and are mostly passive buffs like +3 seconds on forge time or +projectile speed on turrets, basically another layer of avionics

tie it into other content too, like doing open worlds cetus/vallis stuff rescue bounty stages has a chance to recruit a respective member to your crew, starmap rescues for tenno operatives, etc, give them all randomized quirky bios like ticker's debtors

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 23, 2020

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Boy, I can't wait to be given the ability to drop an absolutely absurd amount of space cash and/or funbucks on a railjack. And maybe an archwing. Because I'm kinda getting tileset fatigue. Like, I'm not even up to Mars and I have a decent idea of exactly where I need to go for loot or whatever when I enter a given room. I do like the tilesets better than the identical square hallways most procgen dungeons use or the completely illogical layouts you can find elsewhere (Mostly because here I've got no reference point for whether a given room layout is illogical. Is that glowy thing a reactor, a weapon, or a food dispenser? :iiam:), but they are a tad samey from instance to instance.

On a different note, what were the previous Nightwave seasons like gameplay-wise? Because I'm digging the sleuth segments and the Cephalites make a nice intermission from standard combat.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

you cant spend funbucks on railjack

but it is pretty easy to get fully kitted now for general farming

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Dareon posted:

On a different note, what were the previous Nightwave seasons like gameplay-wise? Because I'm digging the sleuth segments and the Cephalites make a nice intermission from standard combat.

They just had short cut scenes with no gameplay element like the current nightwave. There were similar enemies to the Cephalites that would spawn in occasionally to give you a bit more standing. The weekly / daily challenges were more or less the same..

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Can't you use "Tune in" and then click on the chapters for each season to see a replay of the cutscenes? Or is that only unlocked if you were actually there to see it at launch?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I was just looking up the old cutscenes on youtube, only to notice that yes, you can just watch old NW in game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, where? i missed the second nw season.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think there was an on air button in the NW interface? Somewhere there.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dareon posted:

Boy, I can't wait to be given the ability to drop an absolutely absurd amount of space cash and/or funbucks on a railjack. And maybe an archwing. Because I'm kinda getting tileset fatigue. Like, I'm not even up to Mars and I have a decent idea of exactly where I need to go for loot or whatever when I enter a given room. I do like the tilesets better than the identical square hallways most procgen dungeons use or the completely illogical layouts you can find elsewhere (Mostly because here I've got no reference point for whether a given room layout is illogical. Is that glowy thing a reactor, a weapon, or a food dispenser? :iiam:), but they are a tad samey from instance to instance.
Get your rear end to Mars Venus, and you get the other primary set.

The better looking ones do come later, though in general you're always going to get "bored" of tilesets.
The fun in the game comes from completely obscuring the tileset in various neon colours.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

Is there a preferred element for lich weapons after the damage changes?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Toxin mostly but not always. Depends if you have a specific purpose for a weapon.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Terbulus posted:

Varies by weapon, a bit. Toxic on rifles and cold on melee means you can use the primed elementals to make viral right away, and viral is the foundation of a lot of status builds. I'll also go radiation if I'm intending a high alpha damage build since it does well against certain harder targets, and has the bonus of letting you also run either corrosive or heat alongside it.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

genericnick posted:

I think there was an on air button in the NW interface? Somewhere there.

It's labelled "Tune In" and shows each past Nightwave season with numbered cutscene buttons under each.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
:eng99:

... warframeUI.txt: probably easier if you just youtube it

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 23, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

... warframeUI.txt: probably easier if you just youtube it

That's how I found the button actually.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Terbulus posted:

Heat is also a good option, but mainly because heat + viral is incredibly strong. So at the end of the day, every strong option has toxin in it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dareon posted:

Like, I'm not even up to Mars and I have a decent idea of exactly where I need to go for loot or whatever when I enter a given room.

It's spoilers to go into detail but by the end every tile is a blur. Memorizing them is a good thing because Warframe is a nonstop speedrun. You'll be zipping through rooms and knowing the layouts is important to getting through it all quickly. There's also far more interesting tilesets as they revamp them, with Jupiter being parkour land and the new Corpus space tileset being a lot cooler-looking than before.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, the ability to immediately parse a tile and the paths through it when you enter it is a feature, not a bug. Eventually you learn where the potential exits are, how enemies spawn and then you're 360 noscoping grineer through cover as you rocket through and 900 miles per hour.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Speaking of tilesets how do y'all feel about the newer tilesets having a lot more open space?

Personally I think it's a good thing since it helps prevent bullet jumping into a wall stopping your momentum.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm fine as long as there's stuff to kick off of to make corners and stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really like the jupiter rooms that are all pits and wires. they are annoying and slow to navigate unless you operator dash across them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

skaianDestiny posted:

Speaking of tilesets how do y'all feel about the newer tilesets having a lot more open space?

Deadlock areas are pretty cool, though I hate how there was apparently a huge sale on cameras so every door has laser walls now. Open areas (and fewer lips/awnings) works better with Warframe's modern movement and aside from the aforementioned cameras I enjoyed dashing through them when doing the farm for new frames/weapons. The new and updated spy tiles are great. Weirdly, I've noticed several killboxes that really shouldn't be there like the mapping for it was imported from a different old tile.

Jupiter looks better, but I don't think it plays great. The door bits that fills the next room with an element are dumb, since that usually means one person zips through them and gases all the people following. You can easily shoot them once you know they're there but everyone just rolls with the damage and ignores them, making them a minor annoyance and not worth having. The giant parkour areas are either A) trivial because spoiler/wukong/titania or B) a pain in the rear end. Brief moments of parkour look cool and feel great (wallrunning over a gap, rolling into a pipe, etc) but long obstacle courses really stop the flow of the game. Much like Deadlock it has some sweet Spy tiles.

When Europa, Infested ship and Ceres tiles get updated hopefully we'll see the last of the dumb killboxes and getting stuck on a pixel of metal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

skaianDestiny posted:

Personally I think it's a good thing since it helps prevent bullet jumping into a wall stopping your momentum.

I love it and it and hope future tilesets follow suit.

I also think the new tilesets (and especially the most recent one) are a little lighter on railings and overhangs, which is very welcome. Although it might just be confirmation bias, especially in Jupiter's case; I haven't actually combed over old videos to compare before/after pictures of the same tile or anything.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

gnoma posted:

This is basically my hope, that I can smoothly clear an entire railjack mission from the pilots seat.

Honestly, piloting a railjack solo feels pretty good, but having to jump around filling the different roles to actually complete a mission is annoying. They built reasonably fun gameplay, and they deliberately hindered it to try and force players to work together. Just let me play loving WarStarFoxFrame.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The New deadlock defense map sucks. Take the worst map (the giant 150m square corpus map that has the objective on a corner) and throw in a moving defense target like the ceres defense, then for good measure add a shitton of ramps, doors and cubbies and you get the new defense map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean, nothing can save Defense maps from sucking.