Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Destroy History

- fin! -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm now getting JoJo vibes from that skeleton. It's a strong pose, he just has no muscles to show off with it

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Devil ate some of the roofied lion-heart too, right? I wonder what vision his bad trip is bringing. (Perhaps he's seeing himself as one of the dogs in Pooch Cafe.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Man in Black

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Nov. 19, 1939)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

Tiff's dad finally gets a face! I guess the Evanses finally realized that it was getting beyond ridiculous! Congratulations, Tiff's dad!

So it's still too early to tell for sure, but it does kind of look like Tiff's idea of growing up is to make nice with her abuser. Disappointing, if true.

Kind of hoping the next panel is Tiff's dad saying, "But darling! We promised each other we'd save ourselves for marriage!" Or that the sonogram is from Tiff's dad's side-piece. (I know neither will be true, but I can dream.)

I wonder if they're basing the dad's looks on Evans Sr.? If it is, then it's hosed up considering how much they love making Tiff miserable. I'm still hoping that they don't have Tiff accept her abuser just because she makes her dad happy since that's just really gross.

Bobulus posted:

Is it weird that I find this more vaguely unsettling than the strips where they talk about eating sentient being? The hedgehog is doing this weird matchmaking where she first prevents the mink from running off, then presents George to her as a viable dating opportunity, and then when the mink is creeped out and runs away, creates a situation where she'll have to be close to George from here on in. Not leaving a lot of room for choice here, you know?

She didn't even ask if the weasel had a family to go back to, or if she had close friends to contact; she just jumped straight to the cover story and expected the weasel to go along with it. Hell, she never even asked the gopher if he's cool with the plan, or ask if he feels safe having a person who wanted to cannibalize him living in his home. It's really loving creepy how much she doesn't care what these two want. It also doesn't help that Holbrook's tendency to pair everyone up for more pregnancy stories and become one big happy family gives the whole thing a cult-like vibe.

gently caress you, you unsupportive little poo poo.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 19, 1939)

1. If this is going where I think it is, I am extremely hype for it.
2. Is Piscaro implied to be a a sexual predator, based on that third panel? That's a bit unfortunate to see in what otherwise is a pretty good strip.

Edit: If we just had Share Zone Phantom for the rest of time, that'd be ok.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Green Intern posted:

1. If this is going where I think it is, I am extremely hype for it.
2. Is Piscaro implied to be a a sexual predator, based on that third panel? That's a bit unfortunate to see in what otherwise is a pretty good strip.

Edit: If we just had Share Zone Phantom for the rest of time, that'd be ok.

His posture there is fairly suggestive, but I took that panel to mean that Piscaro is a villainous sadist who expects to enjoy torturing Val to death for insulting him, not that he intended anything sexual about it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Medenmath posted:

His posture there is fairly suggestive, but I took that panel to mean that Piscaro is a villainous sadist who expects to enjoy torturing Val to death for insulting him, not that he intended anything sexual about it.

There have been so many terrible sexual abuse/harassment stories coming out in various industries in the last week, I guess they are affecting how I'm reading things.

(Terrible in the content of the stories, not terrible in that they are coming to light. Get the abusers outta there.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have bad news for you about how homosexuality was generally portrayed in popular culture for basically forever.

A good example because it's sadly recent and almost identical to what's going on here is one of the antagonists of The Witcher 2 (2011), a sneaky advisor guy named Dethmold. Like many characters like him before, he's conniving and treacherous and sadistic but cowardly and ugly. The real kicker is that you find out late in the game that he's also gay with a thing for younger men-- a trait long assigned to villains of that mold to signify them as effete, perverse, predatory, and "less than" the manly men who show up to stop them.

Piscaro seems precisely the same. It isn't merely that he's a cruel torturer who's ok with doing harm to our hero-- he also aestheticizes both the body he's going to be torturing and the torture itself in a way that is definitely meant to be queer-coded. Note his body language in panels two and four-- it's very much like comedic depictions of gay masculinity in pop culture throughout the first half of the 20th century. I love Prince Valiant but for sure you're accurately picking up, I think, on something quite common and quite ugly.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 23, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

There's at least a little bit of villanous queercoding going on with Piscaro's foppishness, sadism, cowardice, and general presentation. Note how he's presented in contrast to Valiant being a 'real man' with perfumes, guards for protection, enjoying hurting people but only brave enough to do it when they're helpless, flowery language and dress.

From our modern point of view Val himself is extremely homoerotic and it's very easy to read him as a bisexual murder hobo, but that was hardly the intention at the time. THESE beautiful youthful warriors wrestling shirtless and complimenting each others beautiful bodies are GOOD and HETEROSEXUAL, while THIS gilded coward complimenting the body of his torture victim is STRANGELY QUEER, HOW SINISTER.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

I have bad news for you about how homosexuality was generally portrayed in popular culture for basically forever.

A good example because it's sadly recent and almost identical to what's going on here is one of the antagonists of The Witcher 2 (2011), a sneaky advisor guy named Dethmold. Like many characters like him before, he's conniving and treacherous and sadistic but cowardly and ugly. The real kicker is that you find out late in the game that he's also gay with a thing for younger men-- a trait long assigned to villains of that mold to signify them as effete, perverse, predatory, and "less than" the manly men who show up to stop them.

Piscaro seems precisely the same. It isn't merely that he's a cruel torturer who's ok with doing harm to our hero-- he also aestheticizes both the body he's going to be torturing and the torture itself in a way that is definitely meant to be queer-coded. Note his body language in panels two and four-- it's very much like comedic depictions of gay masculinity in pop culture throughout the first half of the 20th century. I love Prince Valiant but for sure you're accurately picking up, I think, on something quite common and quite ugly.

PetraCore posted:

There's at least a little bit of villanous queercoding going on with Piscaro's foppishness, sadism, cowardice, and general presentation. Note how he's presented in contrast to Valiant being a 'real man' with perfumes, guards for protection, enjoying hurting people but only brave enough to do it when they're helpless, flowery language and dress.

From our modern point of view Val himself is extremely homoerotic and it's very easy to read him as a bisexual murder hobo, but that was hardly the intention at the time. THESE beautiful youthful warriors wrestling shirtless and complimenting each others beautiful bodies are GOOD and HETEROSEXUAL, while THIS gilded coward complimenting the body of his torture victim is STRANGELY QUEER, HOW SINISTER.

Yeah, after thinking about it some more I was going to edit my post to say something along the lines of what PetraCore is saying here, but you two beat me to it. Piscaro is definitely meant to come off as gay, and while I took his threat to "tear your beautiful body asunder" literally, it's clearly intentionally suggestive.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

PetraCore posted:

Yeah this is one of the strange paradoxes of early 20th century homophobia. The male body was definitely something that was front and center in a way that comes off as quite erotically charged to the modern eye, but "queerness" was always shunted away towards bodies that were malformed, stunted, or marred in various ways. It was like there was this expectation of a healthy way of appreciating and gazing at men and a bad way and the grammar of which was which often looks murky and ambiguous from 2020.

Edit: Looking at his features and clothing there might be a little bit of subtextual antisemitism there too-- it was very very common to link gay men and Jewish men together as tacit fail states of masculinity for a long time in very bizarre ways. I remember reading about blood libel in medieval England and being astonished to read that in the 14th century there was a regional belief here and there that Jewish men had to drink blood because they menstruated and had to replenish their supply.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 23, 2020

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I extremely forgot about Dethmold.

Edit: I sometimes forget that Prince Valiant is a product of its time. This might be the first time this exact situation for the strip has come up in the thread?
And I don't think you're entirely off-base about the antisemitic coding also, given Piscaro's general features.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 23, 2020

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Guest Author Bill Holbrook, Again

Get Fuzzy 6/23/00

Brenda Starr 7/20/41

I know it's supposed to look ridiculous, but I kinda like Daphne's hat with the fish and the dangling fish netting.

Smokey Stover 2/23/36

You may have noticed this cat occasionally hanging around in past Smokey strips. He's Spooky, the title character from another strip Holman created, and frequently made guest appearances in Holman's other work. (Besides Smokey and Spooky, at this time Holman was also producing a single-panel gag comic, Nuts and Jolts.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 23, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All those times Valiant and his manly knight friends held their gay celebrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

My Lovely Horse posted:

All those times Valiant and his manly knight friends held their gay celebrations.
I gotta say, I know that's not what Foster meant, but in my heart Val is as bisexual as the day is long.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Powered Descent posted:

Devil ate some of the roofied lion-heart too, right? I wonder what vision his bad trip is bringing. (Perhaps he's seeing himself as one of the dogs in Pooch Cafe.)

He's balanced on the roof of a red dog house, trying to translate a bird that speaks only in multiples of the letter, "I."

How Wonderful! posted:

Agreed, the inferences to physique are designed to inform the reader that Piscaro is the deepest form of evil: deviant.

Aside from this shading of Picaro's personality, nothing more need be done. By the mid-1930s, the comics page was chiefly aimed at children (although the best narratives are artfully dual - something for kids as well as adults, a skill Looney Tunes and the Fleischer brothers perfected); this was an object lesson.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

curtadams posted:

The "missing Nancy" reference might be to the fact that Nancy, once one of the most widely syndicated comics, was getting a little hard to find by then. Syndication of Nancy tailed off quite a bit after Bushmiller died in 1982, and the general opinion was that the successor artists hadn't successfully copied Bushmiller's techniques. I vaguely remember something about "what happened to Nancy?" *before* the Gilchrist era, but I can't remember any specifics.

Bushmiller's handpicked successor was Mark Lasky, but Lasky died himself less than a year after his run started, so the syndicate brought in Jerry "Baby Blues and Zits" Scott, and he ran it for twelve years before Gilchrist took over.

I vaguely remember seeing Scott's Nancy art; my impression was that it's as unBushmillery as Jaimes. No idea as to the quality of the writing, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Conan the Barbarian Jul. 9th- Jul. 15th, 1979

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Oh...I thought that was a younger Lucy.

No, Lucy was first introduced as a baby and then eventually aged up to match the rest of the cast - the same thing happened with Schroeder and Linus, if I remember correctly. Going by the Peanuts wiki, Lucy's first strip is a little less than four months away from this one.

E: Just finally catching up with this thread after being way behind, and wow, this Funky Winkerbean storyline is infuriating. I don't know what kind of contract Les signed, but I have a feeling he's going to be banned from set real quick if he can't stop pissing and moaning about every little thing. Why is he even letting this movie get made? He clearly isn't happy about it in the slightest!

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 23, 2020

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

i love this so much

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Green Intern posted:

Edit: I sometimes forget that Prince Valiant is a product of its time. This might be the first time this exact situation for the strip has come up in the thread?
And I don't think you're entirely off-base about the antisemitic coding also, given Piscaro's general features.

The classic Valiant strips are huge favorites of mine, obviously, but they are still comics from the 30s and 40s with all the baggage that implies. I don't think anything quite like this has come up yet, but while I don't think it's common, I doubt it will be the last time either.

Incidentally, if anyone thinks any of the strips I have posted should be thumbnailed or linked, please say so and I will be happy to edit my posts. I don't think it's necessary, but I don't claim to be anything more than an oblivious bonehead, so yell at me as needed. The antisemitic tropes went totally over my head, for example.

PainterofCrap posted:

Agreed, the inferences to physique are designed to inform the reader that Piscaro is the deepest form of evil: deviant.

Aside from this shading of Picaro's personality, nothing more need be done. By the mid-1930s, the comics page was chiefly aimed at children (although the best narratives are artfully dual - something for kids as well as adults, a skill Looney Tunes and the Fleischer brothers perfected); this was an object lesson.

It's not like this stuff went away, honestly. Loads of classic Disney villains are queer-coded.

PetraCore posted:

I gotta say, I know that's not what Foster meant, but in my heart Val is as bisexual as the day is long.

Absolutley, as far as I'm concerned this falls under the same category as assuming Gladys Parker got it wrong when she said Mopsy was an idiot rather than bitingly sarcastic.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

sweeperbravo posted:

i love this so much

I do, too.

Is that a breast cancer survivor in the first panel?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 23, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Looks like.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Little Nemo in Slumberland

Trying a full page...comments welcome.

(a little taste of Gertie in panel #5)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

PainterofCrap posted:

I do, too.

Is that a breast cancer survivor in the first panel?

She's in all three panels, along with the gregarious redhead. You can see her scar again in panel 3. A neat touch.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
November 19th - 22nd, 1981

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Oh...I thought that was a younger Lucy.

Nope! That's Violet. She's still around in the newer strips, albeit largely forgotten and unused except as background filler.

She looks like this in more recent media:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit, Rae is Doe started out cute but now it's literally like every other quirky webcomic out there.

Along the lines of Prince Val, I was watching an old (like 2015?) Transformers show with my nephew recently, and there's a Decepticon medic, Knock Out, who is extremely flashy and is pretty much a dandy, freaking the gently caress out if someone scratches his paint, etc. Very feminine in the traditional sense of fashion? I only mention this because my nephew remarked some kids at school thought he was gay, and the creators of the show said so. So we scoured Youtube and found the interview where, instead of stating so, the creators said there was a glitch in the Bot-making machine that day, so that's why Knock Out is the way he is. Like, drat, that is exactly what NOT to say.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have to admit, Rae is Doe started out cute but now it's literally like every other quirky webcomic out there.

Along the lines of Prince Val, I was watching an old (like 2015?) Transformers show with my nephew recently, and there's a Decepticon medic, Knock Out, who is extremely flashy and is pretty much a dandy, freaking the gently caress out if someone scratches his paint, etc. Very feminine in the traditional sense of fashion? I only mention this because my nephew remarked some kids at school thought he was gay, and the creators of the show said so. So we scoured Youtube and found the interview where, instead of stating so, the creators said there was a glitch in the Bot-making machine that day, so that's why Knock Out is the way he is. Like, drat, that is exactly what NOT to say.

:sigh:

Knock Out is still beloved by the fandom though, and the IDW comics have canonically shown him married to his partner and in a loving relationship, so that was nice.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nikaer Drekin posted:

No, Lucy was first introduced as a baby and then eventually aged up to match the rest of the cast - the same thing happened with Schroeder and Linus, if I remember correctly. Going by the Peanuts wiki, Lucy's first strip is a little less than four months away from this one.

E: Just finally catching up with this thread after being way behind, and wow, this Funky Winkerbean storyline is infuriating. I don't know what kind of contract Les signed, but I have a feeling he's going to be banned from set real quick if he can't stop pissing and moaning about every little thing. Why is he even letting this movie get made? He clearly isn't happy about it in the slightest!

readingatwork posted:

Nope! That's Violet. She's still around in the newer strips, albeit largely forgotten and unused except as background filler.

She looks like this in more recent media:

Thanks. I guess I'm not as up on my Peanuts lore as I thought. I always figured that Lucy and Charlie Brown were the same age.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
rae the doe feels designed by committee

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah this is one of the strange paradoxes of early 20th century homophobia. The male body was definitely something that was front and center in a way that comes off as quite erotically charged to the modern eye, but "queerness" was always shunted away towards bodies that were malformed, stunted, or marred in various ways. It was like there was this expectation of a healthy way of appreciating and gazing at men and a bad way and the grammar of which was which often looks murky and ambiguous from 2020.
I find this this a common and long-standing outcome of either repressing or closeting homophilia. An interest in same-sex bodies is coupled with denigration of those who openly or identifiably have a sexual attraction to the same gender. A tactic for distracting either self-awareness or the suspicion of others.

While we're on the subject of GLBTQ-coded over-the-top villains, Mrs. Fothergill, in the current Modesty Blaise, is a pretty extreme dyke stereotype with a bit of transexualism thrown in, showing this has been a problem much more recently than the 30's. Plus "bad at math" for a little soupçon of general-purpose sexism.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Thanks. I guess I'm not as up on my Peanuts lore as I thought. I always figured that Lucy and Charlie Brown were the same age.
IIRC Lucy is supposed to be one year younger than Charlie Brown. When I really got into Peanuts in the 70's the collected strips I had claimed Sherman/Violet/Patti were a year older than Charlie Brown, who was a year older than Lucy, who was 3 years older than Linus, who was five years older than Sally. Since Sally eventually made it to first grade, that would put Lucy and all older than her in high school. Some of the earlier differences were later retconned out, like with Lucy, but I don't think any of the ones I mentioned ever were. So I learned about comic book time early in life.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set feels set up.

Working Daze gently caress this is going to go all week, isn't it?

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is better if you've read all the previous strips.

Cul De Sac gets ready to get close to nature.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PetraCore posted:

From our modern point of view Val himself is extremely homoerotic and it's very easy to read him as a bisexual murder hobo, but that was hardly the intention at the time.

New thread title, please

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders Any guess at to who is going to win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

rae the doe feels designed by committee
I looked at the webcomic archive to see if it's any better once it gets going. The good news is it attempts a joke sometimes. The bad news is it's still really bland.