Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mentioned years ago but in a rational setting and with enough time I'd probably let Ellie go through with the brain scoop but like, it gets glossed over a disgusting amount but they literally set Joel off it's their own drat fault.

Ellie was drowning and needing CPR and they actively tried to stop him and when he made it clear she needed help they beat the poo poo out of him. When he wakes up he's not asked how he's doing he's in a prison cell and they're wondering if they should kill him for some loving reason, they refuse to let him see Ellie at all then they try to throw him onto the streets with no supplies or weapons to fend for himself. Joel was 100% in the right to loving snap at all that heaping on him combined with the urgent need to see Ellie.

Like it isn't just Joel being asked a question and going 'no i will kill' it's literally them trying to kill him too when he hasn't done anything wrong by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah that's another one of the big deals, Joel's done literally all of their work for them while they bumbled around getting stomped, then they try to send him to his death.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
James Howell put it best in his unfinished analysis of the original game that the real message of The Last of Us is that you should always pay your freelancers.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

hi I haven't really followed the thread but recently finished watching a playthrough of the game. I really enjoyed the story and it's really bizarre seeing people everywhere shititng on the game out of hand and calling it complete garbage or like, implying that the events that happen (mainly the ending) make no sense at all. I think the story could have been told BETTER, the way you play through a section and then jump to a completely unrelated flashback isn't great, especially the one where I think there's a big cliffhanger then jumpcut to playing a different character for like 20 hours or something.

But overall I liked it, having to experience it through watching someone else play it isn't great (especially when people insist on playing on the hardest difficulty then dying a ton ughh). I feel like a lot of people don't like it because they don't like [golf related activities] or can't understand the choice at the end, but I think events as they played out are a natural evolution of the story and what happened in the first game. Ultimately at the end of the day, it's a story about how there isn't a definitive good side or bad side.. just a your side, and their side. In the first game it was Joel vs The World, with Ellie along for the ride. He taught her the best way he knew which was, scorched earth don't trust anybody, anybody who isn't with us or helping us is dead. Which is.. a good method for survival at any cost, but also a good way to make enemies. The first game doesn't really focus on it because it's not the focus, but it's clearly shown Joel is NOT a good person. But you come to empathize with him and like him anyway because you can understand his motivations and Ellie is very a much more likeable character naturally so you want to protect her. The enemies are only superficially introduced and almost always do something hostile towards Joel first to give some sort of justification to what he does.

TLOU2 though really makes you pay attention to what you are doing and see things from both sides, and in the process learn about who you're fighting. I feel like a lot of the reason the game is so polarizing though is, the order you play events in makes it kind of hard to realize what's going on. A lot of the people you learn about, are people you killed many many hours ago by the point you meet them. And at the time you kill them, you have basically NO context about who they are other than you MIGHT recognize one or two of them by accident from the [golf enthusiast] scene. I feel like if they had introduced the golfer + caddies better beforehand, maybe even started the game with a bit of golfing minigame or something instead of jumping directly to the PGA world tour. I dunno. The game definitely had some pacing issues I think. Either way I can't help but feel a huge amount of hate the antagonist gets is because of her body type, which is unfortunate because physically strong women are rarely depicted accurately in media specifically because of reactions like this.

anyway I think I got distracted like 20 times typing that up but game is OK, not quite as strong as the first but not a dumpster fire like people are saying

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

also videogamesman dunkey did a video on it that was oddly positive for him so looking forward to meltdowns over that

SPOILERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7OcL8j6rhk

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah he made the game sound way better than anything else ive read so far. if i didnt hate killing zombies, doing weird violence, and gore this review would've made me interested in playing either game

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Indecisive posted:

[golf related activities]

new thread title pls

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Indecisive posted:

also videogamesman dunkey did a video on it that was oddly positive for him so looking forward to meltdowns over that

SPOILERS

Yeah I'm not that surprised Dunkey likes it, he loves the Uncharted games and uses them as examples of well paced video games that don't waste your time with pointless side activities (as opposed to bad Assassins Creed games) all the time. His initial review of TLOU1 was not very positive but its one of the few reviews he's went back on and said his opinion changed upon replay

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda feel like the epilogue in California would've been way stronger in a game where we played Ellie less or none at all- the Ellie parts of the story were the weakest but it would've been neat playing the murder machine against some psychos who had it coming.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah I'm not that surprised Dunkey likes it, he loves the Uncharted games and uses them as examples of well paced video games that don't waste your time with pointless side activities (as opposed to bad Assassins Creed games) all the time. His initial review of TLOU1 was not very positive but its one of the few reviews he's went back on and said his opinion changed upon replay

Didn't dunkey trash uncharted 4? it's been years since I saw the video but I remember him trashing it for all the unneeded climbing and made fun of it for being a platformer

he also trashed the last of us 1 from what I remember calling it another boring zombie game so i dont blame him on his original review

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
huh

https://twitter.com/joshscherr/status/1275220642825027585

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Mentioned years ago but in a rational setting and with enough time I'd probably let Ellie go through with the brain scoop but like, it gets glossed over a disgusting amount but they literally set Joel off it's their own drat fault.
I don't think anyone would argue that Joel's reaction to all of that isn't completely understandable emotionally and what anyone might have done when pressed hard enough. I guess whether that should make a difference depends on how separate the questions "do I sympathize with this person doing what they did in that situation" and "do I think this person did the right thing in that situation" are to someone, though.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

Didn't dunkey trash uncharted 4? it's been years since I saw the video but I remember him trashing it for all the unneeded climbing and made fun of it for being a platformer

he also trashed the last of us 1 from what I remember calling it another boring zombie game so i dont blame him on his original review

He liked U4 but complained the plot magically resolves all the conflicts between the characters suddenly which is true

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

He definitely knows a thing or two about crunches at least

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Also, for anyone with 3 hours to kill(through honestly just skip through him listing the games he owned) this is really good

https://youtu.be/MGSTEKapIAg

He basically says the criticism for TLOU being just a movie is off base since really it's the perfect fusion of cohesiveness between narrative/setting/gameplay (in the tradition of the old cinematic platformers like out of this world) in the bare minimum of mechanics to sell that, and the game was basically designed with all the elements in mind need to win 200 game of the year awards

Its funny because Tlou2 in particular is basically what you get if you try to take the ludo narrative dissonance complaints about uncharted to the extreme

The only way to make a game with this much violence and not have it be incongruous Is to take a meta critical stance of it in the narrative itself

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

What is it with tech guys and this insane love of fasting

Jack Dorsey does the same poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Grapplejack posted:

It's just anorexia

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Grapplejack posted:

remember when a bunch of tech guys convinced themselves that that dumb loving Soylent thing is the future of food

wonder if it's still a thing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it is still a thing. i honestly wish i had some or the equivalent rn, getting really tired of this gameplay loop of having to eat 2-3 times a day.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I feel like anyone that lets 3rd rate tech bros pump an inferior quality meal replacement shake into them probably has a lot more problems going on in their life, so might as well let them go for it. If the ship is already sinking, no reason to put the fires out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Indecisive posted:

SPOILERS

I've learned to not trust dunkey at all when it comes to a lot of games. His opinions kinda suck rear end 90% of the time, least to me.

I would honestly be saying this even if he hated the game :shrug:

E: Just to clarify a bit, he has this very clear love and bias to western games and their stories and a lot of the time he laps up Triple A western releases, while he almost always trashes Eastern/Japanese styled games (Usually anime or stuff like Final Fantasy). Back when he released his terrible FF7:R review I already knew he was going to love TLOU2 no matter what because it's a shiny western release.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 24, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Fasting can increase your alertness and it's popular with go getters for that reason a lot of the time, but the down side is that it makes you irritable and hard to deal with. This checks out more to me than he's anorexic.

Wulf
May 8, 2008
Does this one have any lore bits about what might be happening elsewhere in the world or what the military/FEDRA are up to except being authoritarian and losing quarantine zones over time?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Intermittent fasting's not quite the same thing as the long fasts dudes like Jack Dorsey do, though. It usually just means you fast for like 16-18 hours a day and can eat in the other window. There's some pseudoscience behind it making you burn more fat or something but when I tried it a couple years back I just found it made me eat less which worked out pretty well.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
At release someone claimed that the game was bad because it "poo poo all over" the trans character and I'm like, wtf? Yeah sure, you get some deadnaming from the insane cultists and his backstory with the cult is horrible, but I thought it was gonna be some bad behavior by the main cast characters. But nope, they are all cool with it.

I have no idea if the person who claimed this actually played through the game or it got warped by some game of telephone by someone who speedrun the game and skipped all the cutscenes.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've learned to not trust dunkey at all when it comes to a lot of games. His opinions kinda suck rear end 90% of the time, least to me.

I would honestly be saying this even if he hated the game :shrug:

E: Just to clarify a bit, he has this very clear love and bias to western games and their stories and a lot of the time he laps up Triple A western releases, while he almost always trashes Eastern/Japanese styled games (Usually anime or stuff like Final Fantasy). Back when he released his terrible FF7:R review I already knew he was going to love TLOU2 no matter what because it's a shiny western release.

He doesn't really, he just doesn't like turn based combat (and has exceptions eg Persona 5 he loved)

He also hates awkward anime dialogue and guess what I sold my copy of FF7 remake for the same reason, despite being a huge FF fan back in the PS1 heyday, the dialogue is so awful wooden and stilted when actually voiced in this new release

It reminds me of how in FF13 they made the voice actors copy of the intonation of all the Japanese actors reaction noises and sighs that sound super unnatural when translated even though they didn't have to do this because they reanimated all the tips for the English translation

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Wulf posted:

Does this one have any lore bits about what might be happening elsewhere in the world or what the military/FEDRA are up to except being authoritarian and losing quarantine zones over time?

There's an implication that Las Vegas is completely overrun but still walled in effectively in Ellie's journal about heading to California for revenge quest 2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

At release someone claimed that the game was bad because it "poo poo all over" the trans character and I'm like, wtf? Yeah sure, you get some deadnaming from the insane cultists and his backstory with the cult is horrible, but I thought it was gonna be some bad behavior by the main cast characters.

you're aware that it doesn't actually make any difference whether the brutalization is done by good guys or bad guys, right

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Oxxidation posted:

you're aware that it doesn't actually make any difference whether the brutalization is done by good guys or bad guys, right

No, because that is a stupid opinion. Are you saying there's no difference between playing a character that kills transphobic people vs playing a character that is transphobic?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

No, because that is a stupid opinion. Are you saying there's no difference between playing a character that kills transphobic people vs playing a character that is transphobic?

yes, there is no difference, because in the end you're still using the trans character as an icon of suffering for cheap reactions

these characters are not real people, they're glorified dolls being pushed around the plot by the writing staff and should be analyzed as such

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Better not make a game about anything negative ever, at all, then. Sorry, everything is Tetris now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Go right ahead with telling transpeople what kind of representation they're allowed to be upset about, I guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I fondly recall DmC’s infamous sniper abortion scene, which several wunderkinds defended on the basis that the woman and baby experiencing said high-caliber surgery were both villains

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Last of Us 2, even the sex is brutal. That's my review.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As a trans, it's bad because the only roles trans people tend to get in games is either deep emotional suffering for daring to be trans or regressive joke. Lev falls into the former category. Even though this is a grimy apocalypse, he could be suffering for other reasons, like everyone else. Instead he suffers explicitly because of his transness. And those emotions and feelings behind it are all too present for all too many trans people literally right now. Instead of apocalypse related suffering the others go through. So it's gross for that reason.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Cardiovorax posted:

Go right ahead with telling transpeople what kind of representation they're allowed to be upset about, I guess.

I guess they would have preferred if the character wasn't trans at all, but ran away from the insane cult for other reasons? Resulting in less representation at all, which I assume is also a bad thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And let's not even talk about the fact that whenever there's a character who isn't explicitly suffering for being trans, it's also almost 100% of the time a badly-passing "obvious tranny" stereotype you're supposed to laugh at.

ymgve posted:

I guess they would have preferred if the character wasn't trans at all, but ran away from the insane cult for other reasons? Resulting in less representation at all, which I assume is also a bad thing.
It's the trend of this being pretty much the only kind of trans representation that you can expect to see in video games that upsets people more than anything. Nobody likes their personal situation to be treated as basically nothing except a cheap vehicle for melodrama or bigoted jokes.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Indecisive posted:

SPOILERS

lol they mad

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ymgve posted:

Or he could be trans and ran away from the cult for other reasons, so that being trans is not the source of his suffering but just part of who he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

being trans is not the source of his suffering but just part of who he is
And that being something you basically never see anywhere is pretty much the whole problem, really.