Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

"ah and windows only goes to 10. does that mean this macos is better?"

" well it's one better, isn't it?"

https://youtu.be/KOO5S4vxi0o

the next version of windows is totally going to be 12

or 360 or one or windows series X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

someone at apple please drive to whoever's house the macos design team found the old copy of fireworks in and remove it, it's making the designers stupid

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

watch microsoft make another abortive attempt at ARM based windows devices

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

windows one x

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

the surface pro x has been on sale for some time. supremely pointless/bad, but lets not be confused about who is attempting a windows 8 in 2020.

The Management posted:

you get a faster computer every few years, unlike ones using intel chips that haven’t been making any noticeable progress.

i mean, fingers crossed, but this seems pretty unlikely. unless they launch a really slow processor the first time around.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

supremely pointless/bad

hell y eah, signing your posts is back!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SO DEMANDING posted:

another? they're still going on the last one

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

infernal machines posted:

another? they're still going on the last one

if we can have a second Covid wave during the first I don’t see why Microsoft can’t launch a new arm os while their current is still going bad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lol i already forgot about the surface pro x

so yeah what Vomik said, watch Microsoft make an ADDITIONAL abortive attempt at ARM based windows devices

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

From what i've seen of the rest of the icons and visual design so far, I am not going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

qirex posted:

the obvious one is windows 365 to go along with office 365

it will be $100/year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's already a thing for business

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would never pay for a web version of software

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

but think of all the possibilities

https://www.pcjs.org/software/pcx86/sys/windows/3.10/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anandtech has a little summary of the arm-apple coverage that's worth a look

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

it isn't IYG if that's what you were expecting

*DYP

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

prediction: apple will sell an arm mac mini and an apple tv, with the only difference between them being the OS and a couple of thunderbolt ports, at a $700+ price disparity

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

prediction: apple will sell an arm mac mini and an apple tv, with the only difference between them being the OS and a couple of thunderbolt ports, at a $700+ price disparity

if he's not putting them in the apple tv, what is tim going to do with all the leftover chips from the iphone from four years ago

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

if he's not putting them in the apple tv, what is tim going to do with all the leftover chips from the iphone from four years ago

ipod touch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

the os wont be different

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I have trouble even considering what the benefits of Mac on Arm could be because I do not trust even a little bit that the current incarnation of Apple will deliver it with the necessary quality.

Or maybe they’ve secretly been stashing all of their good engineers on this and the recent stuff they’ve been making GBS threads out has been interns and “rock stars” with 6 months of experience.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tk posted:

I have trouble even considering what the benefits of Mac on Arm could be because I do not trust even a little bit that the current incarnation of Apple will deliver it with the necessary quality.

Or maybe they’ve secretly been stashing all of their good engineers on this and the recent stuff they’ve been making GBS threads out has been interns and “rock stars” with 6 months of experience.

hi have you heard of the i phone?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tk posted:

apple's mobile processors have been top notch and have delivered performance that nobody else has been able to hit - they've out engineered intel, amd, qualcomm, ti, and everyone else that makes arm processors. its actually very impressive.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple poached THE top engineer from ARM last year and has over 1000 engineers dedicated to iphone SOC tech alone but yeah I don't think they could pull off an arm laptop

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

iphones have IR-based depth mapped AR camera apps and most macbooks do spreadsheets

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

tk posted:

I have trouble even considering what the benefits of Mac on Arm could be

pretend I quoted that post several pages back about apple doing more stock buybacks instead of writing checks to intel. The problem this addresses isn’t technological

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

apple's mobile processors have been top notch and have delivered performance that nobody else has been able to hit - they've out engineered intel, amd, qualcomm, ti, and everyone else that makes arm processors. its actually very impressive.

I’m sure the chips will be great. It’s the software that I’m concerned about.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Clark Nova posted:

pretend I quoted that post several pages back about apple doing more stock buybacks instead of writing checks to intel. The problem this addresses isn’t technological

my understanding is that intel sucks rear end at making chips that run fast, don't draw a lot of power, and don't have speculative/proven hw vulns so i'm pretty sure apple is going to make a macbook that runs photoshop acceptably for the first time in years

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

my understanding is that intel sucks rear end at making chips that run fast, don't draw a lot of power, and don't have speculative/proven hw vulns so i'm pretty sure apple is going to make a macbook that runs photoshop acceptably for the first time in years

by running the ipad pro version, but it still counts

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hobbesmaster posted:

by running the ipad pro version, but it still counts

its 2020, if youre not cheating to win, are you even trying

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if its anything like the PPC to x86 change you’ll certainly *feel* like it’s getting faster over the next few years as the emulation layer gets replaced with native software.

and as someone who was worked on smartphone and tablet SoCs for the last 10 years, apple is hard to compete with because they aren’t always constrained by die area like a chip manufacturer.

they’re making money on the whole device and the ecosystem that comes with it, so if they need to they can make an SoC that wouldn’t be profitable for an Intel or Qualcomm. i’m sure the end goal is to reduce the SoC cost as a line item on the whole BOM, but they can definitely afford to throw more transistors at it for a few generations if that’s what is called for.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

tk posted:

I’m sure the chips will be great. It’s the software that I’m concerned about.

apple's recent software quality issues don't have anything to do with the processor said software is running on, and it's doubtful that changing what target they're compiling for will have much impact

watched a wwdc vid that was an apple engineer presenting the common porting issues apple encountered in its own mac apps and it was mostly pretty banal stuff

by far the most spicy thing was "watch out for race conditions that intel's strong memory ordering model was hiding from you"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BobHoward posted:

apple's recent software quality issues don't have anything to do with the processor said software is running on

i think this was actually the point of the person you quoted

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BobHoward posted:

by far the most spicy thing was "watch out for race conditions that intel's strong memory ordering model was hiding from you"

this is going to bite every dummy that uses “volatile” in their app.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

if its anything like the PPC to x86 change you’ll certainly *feel* like it’s getting faster over the next few years as the emulation layer gets replaced with native software.

and as someone who was worked on smartphone and tablet SoCs for the last 10 years, apple is hard to compete with because they aren’t always constrained by die area like a chip manufacturer.

they’re making money on the whole device and the ecosystem that comes with it, so if they need to they can make an SoC that wouldn’t be profitable for an Intel or Qualcomm. i’m sure the end goal is to reduce the SoC cost as a line item on the whole BOM, but they can definitely afford to throw more transistors at it for a few generations if that’s what is called for.

this is a point few people understand. Apple chips are huge, and it’s a massive advantage.

silicon vendors are in the business of selling the least amount of silicon for the most money. a good way to optimize that is to make a smaller chip that has a higher clock speed. after all, battery life and thermal overhead are the customer’s problem, not theirs. Apple’s goal is to maximize battery life and reduce heat, and they’re willing to pay for it in die size.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Management posted:

lol if that's much of a thing

only people writing device drivers should ever consider using "volatile", imo, and you don't use it for (fake) thread safety there

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Management posted:

I’m extremely glad I’ve never used it because it’s spooky

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

when typing "volatile" a little popup should come up in every ide and text editor that says "is this for an ISR?"

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

The Management posted:

this is a point few people understand. Apple chips are huge, and it’s a massive advantage.

silicon vendors are in the business of selling the least amount of silicon for the most money. a good way to optimize that is to make a smaller chip that has a higher clock speed. after all, battery life and thermal overhead are the customer’s problem, not theirs. Apple’s goal is to maximize battery life and reduce heat, and they’re willing to pay for it in die size.

doesn't this mean that apple could potentially start binning down chips and further increase the efficiency of moving to their own silicon
You know like, A14ZZ is the 15 inch one that runs 4ghz with 8 cores and 8gpu cores, and just slowly bin it down as things test faulty to the A14B for the iPhone SE 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

SRQ posted:

could potentially start

lol