Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Fixed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Just ran into googletest's EXPECT_DEATH macro; very mood

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

jfc i try to be helpful and not just reply with "have you tried reading the loving notes/googling it?" when talking to the offshore team in the hope that someone might learn soemthing but god drat is it hard sometimes.

its like reading error messages and using google is some sort of unbelievable super power or something

The way it works is:
If I Google the solution, implement the solution, and the solution fucks up: I'm in the wrong.

If I ask main office for solution, implement the solution, and the solution fucks up: not my fault.

It was never about software development they were playing some 4D chess poo poo all the time. It is imperative to never be wrong, even at the cost of doing right.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

floatman posted:

The way it works is:
If I Google the solution, implement the solution, and the solution fucks up: I'm in the wrong.

If I ask main office for solution, implement the solution, and the solution fucks up: not my fault.

It was never about software development they were playing some 4D chess poo poo all the time. It is imperative to never be wrong, even at the cost of doing right.

which is exactly the game you have to play as the lowest bidder. pay more and grant some autonomy and maybe you'll see different results

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

god drat it i hate #region so much

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

god drat it i hate #region so much

why?

(not saying I disagree)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pokeyman posted:

why?

(not saying I disagree)
there's literally no good reason to hide code that wouldn't be better solved by moving it somewhere else

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ah yeah, I don't get much from folding. sometimes I like to group related bits together though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm doing a thing as part of a larger project to convert an alteryx workflow into a script with python/pandas

Taking my first look, this entire block is in order to convert some dates from strings to datetime objects

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

I'm doing a thing as part of a larger project to convert an alteryx workflow into a script with python/pandas

Taking my first look, this entire block is in order to convert some dates from strings to datetime objects

Very surprising that visual programming has never caught on.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Just wanted to say that if this site implodes I'll miss this thread the most. It was a huge part of me going from depressed grad student to successful computer toucher. Thanks for posting everyone!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

Just wanted to say that if this site implodes I'll miss this thread the most. It was a huge part of me going from depressed grad student to successful computer toucher. Thanks for posting everyone!

literally same

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gonadic io posted:

literally same

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

gonadic io posted:

literally same

elcannon
Jun 24, 2009

gonadic io posted:

literally same

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'll miss yospos in general as it's the only place I've found online that has the right mix of cynicism, disdain and respect for IT

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
here’s hoping a real solution is reached, but if this is the end i really have appreciated lurking here and learning to be slightly less bad

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fyi there's a public "hangops" slack thats mostly devops people but it has a fairly similar tone

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres breadnroses.net

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

shut the gently caress up about bnr

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

fyi there's a public "hangops" slack thats mostly devops people but it has a fairly similar tone

hang ops is good

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

abigserve posted:

I'll miss yospos in general as it's the only place I've found online that has the right mix of cynicism, disdain and respect for IT

:same:

Engaging in places that uncritically swallow the current tech PR thing is infuriating.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

FalseNegative posted:

For my toy projects I've been using Phoenix LiveView. The last project was minesweeper and it was a joy compared to my old stack of php/angular.

Essentially it's SSR with normal Phoenix templates with a small JavaScript process added on. As you bind elements with things like phx-click it sends a websocket request to the backed. This is just a call back that returns a new template. The JavaScript gets this and hot swaps the DOM.

Theres two lines in my App.js, it's wonderful.

I did something similar with django and something called "pjax" back in the day

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

The Fool posted:

hang ops is good

slack is no forum replacement though :(

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Xarn posted:

:same:

Engaging in places that uncritically swallow the current tech PR thing is infuriating.
every time I see something that is potentially interesting somewhere like hackernews the comments are invariably 95% how the site's scrolling is handled by javascript and clearly should be rewritten

or people responding unironically to medium.com "think pieces" by "thought leaders"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagacity posted:

every time I see something that is potentially interesting somewhere like hackernews the comments are invariably 95% how the site's scrolling is handled by javascript and clearly should be rewritten

lol you are part of the problem

jesus christ

if the scrolling is handled by javascript your site is broken; i don't care whether you rewrite it. your poo poo is broken, fix it.

Sagacity posted:

or people responding unironically to medium.com "think pieces" by "thought leaders"

uhh

i think you may have missed why hacker news exists, at all. promoting bullshit from thought leaders, or nonsensical ill-conceived responses to same, are the core content on the aggregator

it's the only way the dweebs at ycombinator can jerk themselves off at night without thinking about venture capital

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if the scrolling is handled by javascript your site is broken; i don't care whether you rewrite it. your poo poo is broken, fix it.
hmm i think you have just illustrated my point though, mr bad

like, sure, janky scrolling sucks but if the article is about some scientific breakthrough maybe just focus on that?

see also: any application using electron (which also sucks, of course)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagacity posted:

hmm i think you have just illustrated my point though, mr bad

like, sure, janky scrolling sucks but if the article is about some scientific breakthrough maybe just focus on that?

see also: any application using electron (which also sucks, of course)

lol dude i don't even have to respond

you fuckin figured this out for yourself

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i browse the web with js disabled by default, today, in the year of our lord, two thousand and twenty

you would not believe how fast and good the internet is without js

the great thing is that the new fad to improve seo is to render the js templates server side, to reduce the google penalty... so i never have to execute the js at all, ever, client-side. it adds nothing to my experience

gently caress all js developers forever, including me, let us all be cast into damnation because what we have done is unclean

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

people should just add https://ferd.ca/static/js/adblock-only.js to their websites

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i'm hoping for a sanity check around an elasticsearch indexing strategy

we have customers who have jobs that have outputs. jobs can run at any time and have a variable number of outputs with varying sizes depending on the job. what a job does is completely configurable by the customer so there's not much in the way of constraints for the size of these outputs. we're planning to slam those outputs into es so they're searchable.

i'm reluctant to index across customers because some are much more active than others and there's a growth factor depending on sales which would mean index growth whenever we signed a new customer or one of our companion products did.

i was thinking indexing on time with a few days to a week per index and implement an index lifecycle to shrink the number of shards for a given index by a factor every time a certain number of new indexes are created along with lowering the index priority and ultimately freezing indexes. sorta like a hot-warm-cold setup. ideally we'd also have some sort of alias set up that lets us query on customer_id and job_id as well.

the data is replicated from a postgres database so we could just expire indexes older than a month or two and caveat that searching for old job data will take longer.

anything crazy about this approach?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

we have customers

here's your problem

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I fee bad just learning grep stands for Global/REgex/Print. :smith:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

well I just learned that too but idk why I'd feel bad about it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pokeyman posted:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

pokeyman posted:

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

ratbert90 posted:

I fee bad just learning grep stands for Global/REgex/Print. :smith:

this is an adequate surprise. i figured it stood for some stupid loving suspenderbeard joke

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just use ripgrep imo

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the go evangelist left the company so now i dont have to get good at this crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

just use ripgrep imo

well now I feel bad, for not knowing this existed. but the second best time to learn is now!