Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Does it still only move in one direction so if you wanted to go one stop the other way you would have to go 14 stops the other direction to get there?

It's 2 circles, one going in each direction and originally a cable drawn system which means there are no points in it, the tracks never cross. So the depot has cranes to move the cars between tracks and the depot.

For some reason the media like to call it the 'Clockwork Orange'but no one else does. It doesn't make any sense either as the carriages are red.

See red, not orange, definitely red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

vyelkin posted:

Does it still only move in one direction so if you wanted to go one stop the other way you would have to go 14 stops the other direction to get there?

I dont think this has ever been the case, outside of times when one line has been closed for maintenance or similar? The wikipedia page says "The Glasgow District Subway Company began construction of the underground in 1891 and opened on 14 December 1896,[7] the subway was powered by a clutch-and-cable system, with one cable for each direction.", which seems to say that its been in both directions since it opened. I do remember there was a while (maybe a year or so? It was ages ago) when they closed one side of it down for whatever reason, but it was always just a temporary thing. I dont currently live in Glasgow and havent been back since lockdown started, so it might currently be only running one way. If you missed your stop when its only running one circle then you either had to sit on for another 14 stops, or get off and walk back, most of the stations are only about 10 minutes on foot apart. And in fairness, doing the 14 stops would probably only take you about 25 minutes, its really not a big circle.

As an aside I've been told that the Glasgow Subway is the only entirely underground subway system in the world. All others have at least part of the system not underground.

Edit to add:

Aramoro posted:

For some reason the media like to call it the 'Clockwork Orange'but no one else does. It doesn't make any sense either as the carriages are red.

While you are 100% correct that no-one ever calls it "the clockwork orange" outside the media (and even they say "sometimes called the clockwork orange" rather than actually calling it that) the trains are very orange.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Jun 22, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SiKboy posted:

While you are 100% correct that no-one ever calls it "the clockwork orange" outside the media (and even they say "sometimes called the clockwork orange" rather than actually calling it that) the trains are very orange.

oh no no as you can see from this bus here

painted in the finest Strathclyde Red, the trains are red.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aramoro posted:

See red, not orange, definitely red.

Gotta love that day-glo red vest

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Blatantly wrong because the lower right quadrant contains buildings built more than 15 years ago.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

90s Cringe Rock posted:

At least it's a benefit to society then.

If the pigs didn't chase them out and it was just a homeless shelter with a cool view, sure

Still poo poo as transit though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Bloop posted:

If the pigs didn't chase them out and it was just a homeless shelter with a cool view, sure

Still poo poo as transit though

One thing is that the whole thing is free so it's fairly trivial to get off and then get back on at some point later in the day or once the cop (and any snitch) are gone.

And yeah, it's not really useful for getting anywhere notable that couldn't be accomplished faster with a car.

Xelkelvos has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Jun 22, 2020

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

Blatantly wrong because the lower right quadrant contains buildings built more than 15 years ago.

I'm assuming the mcmansions are so far right they are off the chart

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Art Deco is cool & good and this is violence against the people of Cuba.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a feeling that Art Deco is in that corner mainly because of Bioshock.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
you see, a bar graph is just showing some numbers with bars. the bars themselves don't have to mean anything or represent anything

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Digital posted:

I'm brutalism.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The trick of this is that it glosses over the kind of buildings poor people live in.

Brutalist towers | prisons
--------------------------+----------
???????? | Slums

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Phone posted:

i got u fam

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Those who've been with this thread from the beginning know I originally made it as a spin-off from the Politically Loaded Maps thread because we felt funny graphs deserved their own thread.

Politically Loaded Maps lives in the D&D subforum but really, it's kind of its own little subcommunity.

With all the stuff going on right now, the folks over there made their own Maps, Charts and Flags Discord, and I'd like to invite you all as well.

I consider it one of many lifeboats so we have a place to continue sharing stuff if SA goes down the drain entirely.

As I type this, the Discord is still very barebones but I understand the admin will clean it up and introduce channels and stuff when they have a bit of time later today.

https://discord.gg/ED8Fxg

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Jun 25, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol RIP us

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Carbon dioxide posted:

With all the stuff going on right now, the folks over there made their own Maps, Charts and Flags Discord, and I'd like to invite you all as well.

Invite seems to have expired already, care to post another?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Invite seems to have expired already, care to post another?

https://discord.gg/XyqcYHe

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725806608898195597/725867877273567232/4pJY8LE.mp4

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What happened in April 2019?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

packetmantis posted:

What happened in April 2019?

Isn't that around the time when he apparently became a literal spineless piece of poo poo, not just a figurative one?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah there was a big drive around the forums because it looked like without support they were going to go away, just like lowtax' ribcage

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Memento posted:

Yeah there was a big drive around the forums because it looked like without support they were going to go away, just like lowtax' ribcage

And then there was the whole thing where suckers could pay some extra money and get a special title on a popsicle stick underneath their name.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

And then there was the whole thing where suckers could pay some extra money and get a special title on a popsicle stick underneath their name.

ha ha ha

yeah

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Funfact about the Glasgow subway: 65% of journeys are spent staring at the little map and thinking, “would it have been quicker to go the other way?”

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Lmao, idiots!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

duckmaster posted:

Funfact about the Glasgow subway: 65% of journeys are spent staring at the little map and thinking, “would it have been quicker to go the other way?”

im pretty blessed with the new copenhagen metro circle line:

when i go down the escalator at my home stop, i get to the front end of the train
when i get off at my stop, the escalator goes up from the front end of the train

vice versa when i go home

i save literally 20-30 steps x2 every day i go to work :smug:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

From the SAL discord:
https://twitter.com/HaydenMaths/status/1275640960081375232

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Konec Hry posted:

Lmao, idiots!

Those were the days!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the axes.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Platystemon posted:

I’m the axes.

i was finishing up my work this morning and came across this graph on an otherwise entirely unrelated invoice. There were data points off to the side, both labelling someone's name, and nothing else.

I bring this up because I don't think I've ever hated axes as presented quite as much as I did at 6:00 am this morning because gently caress this person

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Zvahl posted:

i was finishing up my work this morning and came across this graph on an otherwise entirely unrelated invoice. There were data points off to the side, both labelling someone's name, and nothing else.

I bring this up because I don't think I've ever hated axes as presented quite as much as I did at 6:00 am this morning because gently caress this person

please don't post me trying to use excels pivot tool

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dr Sun Try posted:

please don't post me trying to use excels pivot tool

Many years ago I was asked to make a pivot table for something in Excel and someone said to me "if you need to ask someone else to make a pivot table, you, personally, don't need a pivot table".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Spreadsheets are a barbarian's tool anyways

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pivot tables are the most excellent way to make queries harder than sql by adding a GUI from 2001.

C-c-command line? How about 4 boxes you drag things into. More dropdowns. Donezo, this is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Excel must be the apex of unmaintainability. I have some experience untangling legacy systems with tons of moving parts, but none came close to even moderately complex spreadsheets.

Did you know that MS translates Excel function names in other languages?