Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

cumshitter posted:

i plan to stay until im the last remaining member of the forum and when wanderers from the internet stumble upon this benighted wasteland i will respond to all of their posts with cryptic poo poo like

"a great forum stood here once... now it kneels"

"behold the starless twilight of a dead land"

"the drive through speaker blares static. it listens, but can not respond'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

hey guys I have a really bad memory what awful poo poo have I done again?

oof do you really want to start? it's a lot you better sit down

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Truga posted:

this is amazing content

us liberals got persecuted

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

As someone who has been reading the forums for 16 years and posting for almost 14, every single thing that was good or enjoyable or funny that came out of this place was in spite of the mods, not because of them.

I have never seen such a collection of hosed up power-tripping weirdos in any other organization. No matter what changed with rules, or subforums, or amount of posters, or the general increase in the median age on the forums, the mods have always been loving horrible and constantly stifling anything that is dynamic or interesting. Even the "cool" mods give off a creepy "youth pastor" vibe.

Their reaction to any situation has always been gas ban. Stifle. Shove things underneath the rug. There's never been any openness or honesty from any mod without practically forcing them into it. Their reflexes are always to cover things up, cover for each other, no matter what another mod might have done. Their automatic defense is just telling posters to shut up. The mods level of secrecy and cliqueishness and "us vs them" mentality over the years has been toxic and very detrimental to this place. Just the existence of the mod forum is loving stupid.

Lowtax and the mods are entirely to blame for why these forums were dying even before the last few days. Even at its height, the climate here was always tilted towards getting people to post less, not more. The mods were always capricious and arbitrary, and that leads to disengagement. That's not loving rocket science. This place is one big giant missed opportunity.

I'll always laugh that cpsam managed to have a thread where people could go off on the mods without fear of getting banned so long as they didn't shout slurs or whatever and the response was for lowtax to swoop in a start banning people for sick yt likes

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As someone who has been reading the forums for 16 years and posting for almost 14, every single thing that was good or enjoyable or funny that came out of this place was in spite of the mods, not because of them.

I have never seen such a collection of hosed up power-tripping weirdos in any other organization. No matter what changed with rules, or subforums, or amount of posters, or the general increase in the median age on the forums, the mods have always been loving horrible and constantly stifling anything that is dynamic or interesting. Even the "cool" mods give off a creepy "youth pastor" vibe.

Their reaction to any situation has always been gas ban. Stifle. Shove things underneath the rug. There's never been any openness or honesty from any mod without practically forcing them into it. Their reflexes are always to cover things up, cover for each other, no matter what another mod might have done. Their automatic defense is just telling posters to shut up. The mods level of secrecy and cliqueishness and "us vs them" mentality over the years has been toxic and very detrimental to this place. Just the existence of the mod forum is loving stupid.

Lowtax and the mods are entirely to blame for why these forums were dying even before the last few days. Even at its height, the climate here was always tilted towards getting people to post less, not more. The mods were always capricious and arbitrary, and that leads to disengagement. That's not loving rocket science. This place is one big giant missed opportunity.

I think most mods were fine except for that bababooey guy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cumshitter posted:

i plan to stay until im the last remaining member of the forum and when wanderers from the internet stumble upon this benighted wasteland i will respond to all of their posts with cryptic poo poo like

"a great forum stood here once... now it kneels"

"behold the starless twilight of a dead land"

"the drive through speaker blares static. it listens, but can not respond'
i'm gonna be like this in the post-lowtax future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7voVeJRC0

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's been 24 hours of "we all know this community is more than Lowtax - it's you that makes it special" the people saying "okay you guys enabled lowtax, step down" and the mods/admins saying "Yes, we love you too. We will build a new place for you to adore us"

and the QCS all-stars nodding along blankly

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lol pastry startin to wild out in pyf now

Remember how he had a meltdown over my posting in IoSM because I was too political and trans positive? He sent me this a while afterwards once I stopped posting as much (or as well) and it creeped me right the gently caress out.

quote:

Pastry of the Year wrote on May 8, 2020 09:09:
Thank you for making the sort of posts I love to read, and appreciate, and knew you were capable of.

In the spirit of full disclosure: you pissed me off, specifically, because (a) PYF is a chill zone and (b) you'd post incredibly smart and sensitive things in between the poo poo-posts.

I don't know what was discussed between you and Bird, but I like you. You're valuable.

LaB was incredibly nice and helpful the whole time and she doesn't deserve what this website did to her.

ChristmasBaloogan
Dec 24, 2018
i mean sure he abused some women but hes still the president of the united states

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Asema posted:

oof do you really want to start? it's a lot you better sit down

well i aint goin anywhere :colbert:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wish rad cats were real. Or that I learned the song in school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78hZIEqONM

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

T-man posted:

Remember how he had a meltdown over my posting in IoSM because I was too political and trans positive? He sent me this a while afterwards once I stopped posting as much (or as well) and it creeped me right the gently caress out.

LaB was incredibly nice and helpful the whole time and she doesn't deserve what this website did to her.

he's just so proud of you!

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

T-man posted:

"I like you. You're valuable" :chloe:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I feel like moderation was always a mixed bag here. I think the stupid, heavy handed "three years for missing a comma" moderation, had some kind of hand in the shape things took here, like the "hey shithead don't post if you have nothing to say" mantra kind of did improve quality by some metrics!! it's maybe got some merit, but no doubt this website has consistently attracted a bunch of loving weird motherfucking assholes that go on to steer the ship, and it has pretty obviously almost never been about selecting for good people.

I'm already on bnr, but I don't post really. i'll go there, or continue hanging out with LGBTQ folks in discord.

I read the dune thread in gbs, the trans thread, and maybe three threads in cspam. I was already on the way out after the drama earlier this year and I'm definitely gone for good in any version of this forum that has lowtax involved in any capacity~

it's been fun, but I have a Twitter again, I have discord, and other forums. I don't need to enable an abusive turd.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

T-man posted:

ew wtf

Yeah agreed on LaB. Sad to see her go but definitely the right choice

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

T-man posted:

You're valuable.

SA mods when deciding to ban someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kMyom2sHyA

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Agean90 posted:

I'll always laugh that cpsam managed to have a thread where people could go off on the mods without fear of getting banned so long as they didn't shout slurs or whatever and the response was for lowtax to swoop in a start banning people for sick yt likes

I mean why would you get banned for merely slightly defying or poo poo talking a mod? Yeah if you're doxxing them or saying they should be shot or something that's hosed up and should be punished, but even slightly questioning or insulting a mod has often been grounds for a ban. That's loving stupid. Mods have always been a bunch of thin skinned babies who just can't stand seeing words on their screen that aren't about how great they are. Just don't look!

Years ago there was a picture thread in d and d and the op got banned because after a few months and hundreds of pages of posts, they went back and edited groverhaus into the first post. That's a prime example of mods being loving stupid. Why not just ignore their little joke?? You do poo poo like that for years and years, people stop posting.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SA forums background

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

well i aint goin anywhere :colbert:

i want you to imagine that I opened a scroll and like six miles of paper came uncurling out of it :colbert:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's been 24 hours of "we all know this community is more than Lowtax - it's you that makes it special" the people saying "okay you guys enabled lowtax, step down" and the mods/admins saying "Yes, we love you too. We will build a new place for you to adore us"

To make the sin of sincere-posting for a moment, I get why lots of them aren't stepping down. Because hypothetically it would be easier to organise a replacement while having the power to put up stickied threads etc. But the problem is a) why the gently caress would anyone have any faith in something that has people involved in shitcanning people who spoke out about Lowtax's abuse in the past? & b) they really, really are bad at communicating whatever the gently caress they are doing. Some degree of working things out in private is not a bad idea, it's just one milquetoast message every 24 hours isn't it c) banning people for innocuous poo poo is really loving stupid thing to do at a time when there should be no desire to give Lowtax any money.

Basically the mods/admins are the worst people to be handling this & are handling it in the worst way they can. And I suppose SA splintering into 18 different offsites, none of which last more than 12 months because of that is the most fitting way for this place to die

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I never had any real problem with the mods I interacted with but I also never ran afoul of any of them so :shrug:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/RussTTrumbone/status/1276155327273152514?s=20

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

if everybody who donated to lowtax's spine fund can instead just focus that into me i can pay off my student loans thanks SA

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I mean why would you get banned for merely slightly defying or poo poo talking a mod? Yeah if you're doxxing them or saying they should be shot or something that's hosed up and should be punished, but even slightly questioning or insulting a mod has often been grounds for a ban. That's loving stupid. Mods have always been a bunch of thin skinned babies who just can't stand seeing words on their screen that aren't about how great they are. Just don't look!

Years ago there was a picture thread in d and d and the op got banned because after a few months and hundreds of pages of posts, they went back and edited groverhaus into the first post. That's a prime example of mods being loving stupid. Why not just ignore their little joke?? You do poo poo like that for years and years, people stop posting.

The thing is I can understand the no mod sass rule. It's stupid as gently caress and purile to apply to any one over the age of 20, but I get it the whole authority arguement. The thing is why should it apply to mods outside of the subforum they mod? Like why should anyone outside of some 20 poster subforum give two damns or a gently caress about the dignity of some bluestar who said something dumb in a place they rarely visit lmao

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

To make the sin of sincere-posting for a moment, I get why lots of them aren't stepping down. Because hypothetically it would be easier to organise a replacement while having the power to put up stickied threads etc. But the problem is a) why the gently caress would anyone have any faith in something that has people involved in shitcanning people who spoke out about Lowtax's abuse in the past? & b) they really, really are bad at communicating whatever the gently caress they are doing. Some degree of working things out in private is not a bad idea, it's just one milquetoast message every 24 hours isn't it c) banning people for innocuous poo poo is really loving stupid thing to do at a time when there should be no desire to give Lowtax any money.

Basically the mods/admins are the worst people to be handling this & are handling it in the worst way they can. And I suppose SA splintering into 18 different offsites, none of which last more than 12 months because of that is the most fitting way for this place to die

it's p. clear that they always put on that polite We Hear You, You Are Important To Us tone then hop on the mod discord or whatever and holler about how those commoners are disrespecting their betters yet again

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.
Don't worry it's a vintage Porsche from 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Agean90 posted:

The thing is I can understand the no mod sass rule. It's stupid as gently caress and purile to apply to any one over the age of 20, but I get it the whole authority arguement. The thing is why should it apply to mods outside of the subforum they mod? Like why should anyone outside of some 20 poster subforum give two damns or a gently caress about the dignity of some bluestar who said something dumb in a place they rarely visit lmao

because being a mod is power and power must be enforced and practiced lest it be lost. that is the entire point of power

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

because being a mod is power and power must be enforced and practiced lest it be lost. that is the entire point of power

there is no power more intoxicating than imaginary internet power

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VideoKid posted:

I’m just imagining someone threatening to tell my parents about my bad posts. They would be like yes we are sick of hearing videokid talk about communism too please make her stop

*picking up the phone*

me: "hello?"

goon: "oh hello... tesseraction."

me: "so it's happened. you found me."

"yes... you thought you hid it well, bu--"

"do you have the rear end pics?"

"what?"

"I'm gonna be fine"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

GetFiscal bringing some of his posting past for our last hours in cspam:

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1275930606501847041?s=20

"Helping build a media empire almost as successful as Lowtax's" is an incredible self-own.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Yinlock posted:

it's p. clear that they always put on that polite We Hear You, You Are Important To Us tone then hop on the mod discord or whatever and holler about how those commoners are disrespecting their betters yet again

Athanatos is the loving worst for this, and he talks the same way if you waste your time and bother PMing him. He is a goddamn HR department made flesh, a golem made of paperwork and rear end covering.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yinlock posted:

"the peasants are revolting!"

"ugh, aren't they?"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

"Helping build a media empire almost as successful as Lowtax's" is an incredible self-own.

trust me he knows exactly what he's saying

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I think you have fatally misunderstood the joke

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

this type of car was prescribed by his back doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Yinlock posted:

there is no power more intoxicating than imaginary internet power