Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOST ANTICIPATED FYTER FEST MATCH
This poll is closed.
Mox vs Cage 7 6.67%
Shida vs Ford 2 1.90%
Best Friends vs Hangman and Kenny 47 44.76%
Jericho vs Orange 49 46.67%
Total: 105 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think he just means that in reference to point two, at least on paper they have less resources than WWE and have done a better job with this than WWE. It's obviously way murkier as you zoom out because Tony obviously has a lot of resources. Like all the Jaguar facilities are bring used and those are not AEW's and they're not Tony's but like, c'mon.

The idea that they would lose everything if they stopped seems silly though. I guess if they do lose tv they would be back to square one but Tony has the resources to rebuild. It would suck huuuuge for guys like Marko where it looks like AEW is the first time they've had a steady and good income from wrestling. Bryan is right from a stupid idiot capitalist brain but there are lots of things Tony and his dad could do. Unfortunately most of the world runs on stupid idiot capitalist brain and those things will be called unreasonable.

Everything sucks is my point I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/RealJakeHager/status/1276279521629532160
🙄

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah this seems right. There is zero chance they will go on hiatus.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Wait, one bad week and they’re already talking about shutting down? Did I miss something?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Wait, one bad week and they’re already talking about shutting down? Did I miss something?

I think it's more related to Covid than the ratings.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Due to Covid, not ratings.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When would they even be able to come back if they did? It's not like this is going to cool down anytime soon. I'm not advocating against them doing it but it just sucks because we're a dumb country full of dumb people and this poo poo's going to be happening for a while and I hate it and everything sucks :smith:

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
It's kinda funny that Dana White's fight island is the only one that kinda works (if done right)

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

I read this and all I can do is wonder how long until every partner/roommate/friend of someone who works at WWE gets sent into an AEW party like Snake carrying FOXDIE.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I'm out of the loop, was it ever said that Darby did anything other than that one tweet that just said "Darby did a thing" without specifics, and then the tweet was deleted?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

We Got Us A Bread posted:

I'm out of the loop, was it ever said that Darby did anything other than that one tweet that just said "Darby did a thing" without specifics, and then the tweet was deleted?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What I don’t get is why don’t they just let all the wrestlers spend some time at home making videos of them training and practicing and poo poo and then air that.

Private party was doing it. Have each guy do something, take the best ones, pretty them up with editing, and make a show for the week to avoid covid deaths

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

rotinaj posted:

What I don’t get is why don’t they just let all the wrestlers spend some time at home making videos of them training and practicing and poo poo and then air that.

Private party was doing it. Have each guy do something, take the best ones, pretty them up with editing, and make a show for the week to avoid covid deaths

Best of Being the Elite. Best of AEW Dark. Give Matt Hardy half an hour to do whatever. Let Nyla shitpost on twitter for a segment.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
It seems like they started doing a little of that, Joey/Sonny, Darby's tony hawk thing, Private Party, The FTR/Butcher-Blade/Young Buck thing at a mansion or whatever. The AEW has enough creative minds that should they have to, I think they could make it work (even with no wrestling -- Hell I'd love to see a promo only show)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Didn't TNT loving LOVE the Bubbly Bunch, too? Wrestler sketch comedy power hour can probably give 'em a few weeks.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

By all accounts it seems like their testing and tracing program works (at the moment), but they should really switch from shooting every other week to gang-taping 6-8 episodes of dynamite in a week and then sending everyone away for 6 weeks while Florida is in the state it's in. Fill dark with BTE style stuff shot from home and a 'best of AEW' match. At least unlike the nightmare factory episodes they've got most of their talent around atm.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hell, cut Dark to like 3 matches and keep the other 6 from their weekly average to fill in tv time. I've said it a few times but right now they got enough talent to film almost all of Fyter Fest and do a month's worth of tapings for interesting and good matches. Just take this whole week to fill out July and hope you can record again in August, and if Mox is 'rona free then have him and Cage meet up somewhere safer and an empty arena match.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I’m fine with them shelving Dark in the short term to limit the number of performers getting exposure, especially when half of the Dark talent are unsigned trainees without the medical care and resources if they catch COVID.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How could AEW go under?

Worst case scenario... they can’t put on shows and the wrestlers don’t get paid, and the TNT deal gets suspended and picked back up when shows can resume. It’s not like TNT is saying to the NBA “can’t put in your season? Well then your TV deal is gone for 2021 too!” Not going to happen. TNT still has a schedule to fill and all production has come to a vault pretty much. There is nothing else that could be picked back up faster than wrestling.

Is the fear that they couldn’t pay wrestlers and have to release them? And then they may go elsewhere if that happens? But where would they go if you can’t put on shows? Or is it that AEW would feel obligated to pay all their talent, which they can’t afford to do?

It certainly is a lovely time to start a wrestling company. I do feel like there is a rush on everyone’s part, WWE and AEW, to go back to exactly how things were, which was part of the problem. You don’t need announcers at ringside, some interviewee holding the mic in the ring, and tons of talent at ringside.

AEW is under no obligation to produce Dark, right? It’s just a free thing on You Tube, I don’t see sponsors. That just seems like time wasted producing unnecessary content.

So why couldn’t AEW test everyone, have them isolate until tests come back, and then tape like 16 weeks of Dynamite as a 1 hour show. Fill the second half of the show with classic matches from PPVs... classic dynamite matches... then do it again in October and see how things are. And if things get better, just throw out the taped scaled back Dynamite episodes and do a full show.

There is no reason they’d have to shut down because there is no obligation to put on a show at the exact same level as pre-pandemic.

And this goes for WWE too. The need for them to still deliver 9 hours of content each week is insane. Do they really need to waste time taping Main Event matches that nobody watches and flying people back every 2 weeks?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

It’s wild to consider that WWE are essentially producing 3 & 1/2 Dynamites worth of content a week right now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

It’s wild to consider that WWE are essentially producing 3 & 1/2 Dynamites worth of content a week right now.

It’s 9 hours. They still do 205 live and main event for some reason, even though they were randomly canceling 205 live when Smackdown on Fox started.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Good God, that’s too much wrestling content to consume.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Are you jealous of Cody’s totally sweet neck tattoo? Well, finally you too can I can’t even finish this sentence just look at this
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1276302079011827712

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
It serves the very niche audience of folks who want a genuine cosplay but not a really genuine cosplay

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Astro7x posted:

How could AEW go under?

Worst case scenario... they can’t put on shows and the wrestlers don’t get paid, and the TNT deal gets suspended and picked back up when shows can resume.

I don't know the situation TNT is in, but if their revenue is greatly down, cancelling a contact and trying to renegotiate is possibly better than suspending it. On the podcast, Tony said they were slightly positive in revenue during the Georgia tapings because of reduced costs, but they lost millions in ticket sales (minus whatever live location costs would have been). That was with filming over a month at one time with a limited number of wrestlers. Flying people in every other week and having to do some amount of set up/tear down changes the math a bit.

Losing TV would set them back a ton because they would have to release talent and reboot stories to try to recapture an audience when they come back. Having a ton of money helps if it is a short term downturn, but if that extends into needing several years of profit to get out of the hole, shutting down makes sense.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Someone will tweet Cody a picture of the tattoo on their butt

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Ugh. Welp, Darby's on the "gently caress him" list, then.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Oil! posted:

I don't know the situation TNT is in, but if their revenue is greatly down, cancelling a contact and trying to renegotiate is possibly better than suspending it. On the podcast, Tony said they were slightly positive in revenue during the Georgia tapings because of reduced costs, but they lost millions in ticket sales (minus whatever live location costs would have been). That was with filming over a month at one time with a limited number of wrestlers. Flying people in every other week and having to do some amount of set up/tear down changes the math a bit.

Losing TV would set them back a ton because they would have to release talent and reboot stories to try to recapture an audience when they come back. Having a ton of money helps if it is a short term downturn, but if that extends into needing several years of profit to get out of the hole, shutting down makes sense.

That brings me back to my original point.

Why are the only options:
A) shut down.
B) continue to tape 3 1/2 hours of TV each week

Why can’t they ditch Dark, scale back Dynamite, and tape months of content at once?

Like there was the rumor that Raw/SD had to be live each week. Is there something that AEW must produce X minutes of original content each week? Or that they have to be live?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

THE FORUMS LIVE!??? SHOUTOUT JEFFREY!?!?!?!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB4V4ZIpgK_/?igshid=czot27fxfokm

Fenix has escaped Florida. Already at the Huston airport, so, idk how much if any tapings they could've done today...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929873

Prediction game

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Why the gently caress does Orange Cassidy go into beserk mode when people express negativity or touch his sunglasses

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

MorningMoon posted:

Fenix has escaped Florida. Already at the Huston airport, so, idk how much if any tapings they could've done today...

Word is that the Fyter Fest tapings are next week. So there wouldn't have been tapings today.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Why the gently caress does Orange Cassidy go into beserk mode when people express negativity or touch his sunglasses

You don't talk poo poo about 3 things to Cassidy, his friends, his glasses, and the fast and the furious movies.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i want to buy the fake cody tattoo and do something dumb with it, but i havent figured out what yet

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

put the fake tattoo onto champion pig.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

boxcarhobo posted:

i want to buy the fake cody tattoo and do something dumb with it, but i havent figured out what yet

Gumball Gumption posted:

Someone will tweet Cody a picture of the tattoo on their butt

Come on!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

MorningMoon posted:

This is bullshit, he keeps tagging Hobby Airport (HOU) as Bush Intercontinental (IAH). These airports are 30 miles apart.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Cavauro posted:

put the fake tattoo onto champion pig.

if jeff gets to buy the forum then i will do this but also maybe ill put it on my butt, that seems to obvious tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

You don't talk poo poo about 3 things to Cassidy, his friends, his glasses, and the fast and the furious movies.

OC's character seems somewhat different than the one I've seen in the indies, aside from his match with David Starr. In the indies matches he generally seemed like his sloth attacks failing were met with an "aw shucks, I hoped that would work" whereas at this point in AEW it seems like he does it to piss off the heel and get them to make a mistake.

The David Starr match he gives himself a custom introduction that's mocking Starr's introduction, though, so that's definitely already a mindgame thing.